TimF

Poll - Why aren't people playing hardcore mode

So medic...you're saying that in hardcore, when both players have the exact same ability to see and be seen in EVERY scenario, thats an opinion. And when there are multiple instances of unbalanced combat such as corner peeking and wall glitching in 3pp, thats an opinion. Yes? Or am i stating facts.

Dont answer. It's obvious ;)

And when there are multiple instances of unbalanced combat such as corner peeking and wall glitching in 3pp, thats an opinion. Yes?

Yes :)

Different modes, different tactics. I play both and always have, I don't find much of a difference between them TBH... could do with more hardcore servers available though.

Yes :)

You're making it harder and harder to take you seriously.

A little less sarcasm and a little more substance to your posts would go a long way.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

I love hardcore.

I use regular for when I want to fuck around and not care. Hardcore is when I want to get really into it.

• Like 1

You're making it harder and harder to take you seriously.

A little less sarcasm and a little more substance to your posts would go a long way.

Calling it unbalanced is an opinion. All players on a normal server have the same options. Therefore it's a fair playing field.

But this debate will go round and round forever with neither side convincing each other that their opinions are more correct.

Why don't people play hardcore? Hmmm....

1. Field of view is inferior to actual human field of view.

2. Human beings can pose and peek in far more positions than the three generic ones the game allows.

3. Third person helps to compensate for the fact that the game thinks my ears stuffed with cotton and zombies are actually wraiths that pass through walls.

• Like 1

The video's great. It does a good job of outlining a wealth of the advantages that are garnered from 3rd person.

Of course, the bottom line is its still a personal preference issue. Not everyone plays the game for the same exact reasons, and nor are they required to. Immersion is not the same across the board for everyone. What it means to one person, may be entirely different for the next. I find the world extremely immersive, regardless of the perspective used. As well, I'm not playing DayZ to constantly find myself in fire fights where perspective advantages are a problem for me.

Another facet as well is that the advantage is for everyone across the board, using the perspective. And while positioning will give a huge advantage, it always gives a huge advantage. Regardless of perspective. Higher ground is always sought. Cover is always sought. This is all positioning that conveys advantage to the user. While the third person perspective will grant information that wouldn't be normally garnered without risk, in a lot of situations, its hardly game breaking to some. Whereas, to others its utter annoyance. But therein lies the rub, the general populace that dislike third person because of the advantages it conveys are looking for a much more realistic shooter, than those who don't.

• Like 3

The argument of begin capable of more stances and using your senses IRL is true, BUT hardcore creates a lot more suspense. As someone posted above, we too use the regular servers for fucking around, trying spots ect. 

I enjoy both modes but Hardcore mode isn't really "Hardcore" at all.

Playing in 3rd person vs First person is like comparing Apples and Oranges....Playing in third person is not "easy mode" unless everyone your up against is forcing themselves to play in First person only.

Sure sometimes one player can get the jump on the other but this still goes both ways. It also means that when approaching an area in 3rd person you must be even more careful then in FPS mode. If I know I cannot clear a corner in 3PP and there might be another player there I find an alternate approach or back off. 

Too many people play this game like it is a CS clone and just want to camp and not explore. This game has a huge map to encourage you to be on the move. The camping type of gameplay is ok but what people don't get is since the map is HUGE and if you cannot confirm an area is safe to loot then you can always move on to another area you know is safe. To do the above I take different strategies in both 3pp and FPS modes. To really trap and corner someone in either mode is often times totally different. 

Sure you can look around easier in third person but so can your opponents. 3rd person mode encourages more long range engagements in some cases. 3rd person also has it's disadvantages (blind when entering a building or tent until the camera adjusts)

Also as others have mentioned in game I can clearly hear myself rummaging around. I sound as loud as an elephant but other players moving at the same pace around me barely make any noise. So the "Hardcore mode is better because you can sneak up on people" argument is flawed because you should not be able to move with that much gear on your back at a rapid pace and go unheard

I enjoy "hard core" mode not because it is HC but just to have an Alternate character to play on. 

What I would like to see is HC mode be the following:

1. One shot you're dead or seriously injured

2. No range or hud icons anywhere on the screen (you have to account for range by aiming higher or lower not hitting page up or page down)

3. Less food

4. less equipment

5. Nothing spawns as pristine

6. more zombies

7. Have either 3PP only or FPS servers (do not force one or the other!)

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

I will seriously consider switching to hardcore the day that phasing zombies are no more. Until then the only real benefit to hardcore is the fact that less hackers seem to hang out on hardcore servers.

2. No range or hud icons anywhere on the screen (you have to account for range by aiming higher or lower not hitting page up or page down)

It should be on the scope as actual scope physically have this dial for this reason, even now you still have to be able to judge the distance unless you have a range finder (which I don't think is in SA yet)

So force one or the other but don't force one or the other? I'm confused by your wording?

The only actual problem with the third person camera at the moment based on it's fixed position (and my experience with other games that are primarily FPS and 0 experience with ArmA) it's original design was for use with vehicles, and it's a simple fix to end this "babycore" "easycore" what ever other derogatory term you want to apply to it. Tighten the angle to a more standard over the shoulder view, imaging walking about 2 feet behind a friend with a camera positioned about 1.5 feet and aimed over his left or right shoulder. Will you still get a slightly less exposed view around exterior corners? Yes, however interiors should treat the camera like a physical object attached this maximum distance from the player on a tether. Backing into a wall all but forces the camera up against the player. You can also limit the range of motion of the camera. So that in exteriors you still have to lean around corners.

This argument relies on this camera being concrete and nothing this far is concrete

I play regular and 90% of the time in first person, 3rd seems just too unnatural to me I can't stand it. And while I have fully geared hardcore char I don't play there because there is just to few of trusted HC servers, I spoend 99% of my time on gaming deluxe servers, and try to avoid fragnet. 

It should be on the scope as actual scope physically have this dial for this reason, even now you still have to be able to judge the distance unless you have a range finder (which I don't think is in SA yet)

So force one or the other but don't force one or the other? I'm confused by your wording?

The only actual problem with the third person camera at the moment based on it's fixed position (and my experience with other games that are primarily FPS and 0 experience with ArmA) it's original design was for use with vehicles, and it's a simple fix to end this "babycore" "easycore" what ever other derogatory term you want to apply to it. Tighten the angle to a more standard over the shoulder view, imaging walking about 2 feet behind a friend with a camera positioned about 1.5 feet and aimed over his left or right shoulder. Will you still get a slightly less exposed view around exterior corners? Yes, however interiors should treat the camera like a physical object attached this maximum distance from the player on a tether. Backing into a wall all but forces the camera up against the player. You can also limit the range of motion of the camera. So that in exteriors you still have to lean around corners.

This argument relies on this camera being concrete and nothing this far is concrete

That is fine they should have to adjust it on the scope but only if they have one....

in regards to 7...

I am saying HC should not have to be FPS or 3PP mode exclusively. If you implement a HC mode it should be more around higher damage and less objects/less Hud assistance in game as opposed to the game mode.

I do not consider the current "hardcore" servers as hardcore...cause they are not. People can tank 5 shots from a sporter in the back and then turn around and unload 20 AKM rounds into them before they die....This type or scenario in Battlefield is what turned me onto HC mode

From there then there should be "Hardcore" servers which are either 3PP enabled  or FPS mode only. Let the server admins decide. 

The game should be Hardcore because it is harder to survive not because your playing in First person mode...that is like saying counter strike is hardcore

Edited by trev186

It doesn't alter your FOV, it just pulls the camera back a bit.

If you want something realistic, you probably shouldn't be looking at a  VIDEO GAME.

Well this, VIDEO GAME is known for being realistic.

Edited by FREDDIEkillz
  • Like 1

I play hardcore because I find it annoying when people sit on top of the firehouse(or any other building) and use 3rd person while laying prone. I played the mod and standalone in regular for countless hours. Now I rarely play regular and spend my time in hardcore as I find it much more fun.

That is fine they should have to adjust it on the scope but only if they have one....

in regards to 7...

I am saying HC should not have to be FPS or 3PP mode exclusively. If you implement a HC mode it should be more around higher damage and less objects/less Hud assistance in game as opposed to the game mode.

I do not consider the current "hardcore" servers as hardcore...cause they are not. People can tank 5 shots from a sporter in the back and then turn around and unload 20 AKM rounds into them before they die....This type or scenario in Battlefield is what turned me onto HC mode

From there then there should be "Hardcore" servers which are either 3PP enabled or FPS mode only. Let the server admins decide.

The game should be Hardcore because it is harder to survive not because your playing in First person mode...that is like saying counter strike is hardcore

while highly accurate even at long ranges the .22 has very little penetration power especially when passing through multiple layers even of clothing so it's not obscene to see even in a traditional hardcore mode the .22cal being little more than a headshot weapon. I'm not disagreeing with you (just got done with a hardcore match on BF4 lol) I will pick up a sportster specifically for clearing zeds until I encounter a higher caliber rifle.

Different modes, different tactics. I play both and always have, I don't find much of a difference between them TBH... could do with more hardcore servers available though.

Huh?  Not west coast servers... My preference would be to play Hardcore, but when I filter for lag alone I get 3 Hardcore under 60, and but 20+ standard servers...

while highly accurate even at long ranges the .22 has very little penetration power especially when passing through multiple layers even of clothing so it's not obscene to see even in a traditional hardcore mode the .22cal being little more than a headshot weapon. I'm not disagreeing with you (just got done with a hardcore match on BF4 lol) I will pick up a sportster specifically for clearing zeds until I encounter a higher caliber rifle.

Long range sure maybe but it takes 5-6 shots to the body at close-medium range with the 22 to down someone in dayz 

Well for me the bottom line is I wish they wouldn't have even made 3pp an option when they released the game. I personally would have preferred everyone just play 1pp and enjoy it that way. I feel like when you give people the 3pp option, they won't go back. However, I can understand why not a lot of people play hardcore. I won't really go into why because it will start a flame war, but everyone has their preference. Mine ultimately is hardcore

Long range sure maybe but it takes 5-6 shots to the body at close-medium range with the 22 to down someone in dayz

That's my point though Trev in real life the .22 at almost any range is point and shoot, but has very little penetration unless your target is next to naked. When you account that most players are wearing a coat, vest, backpack, (all loaded with gear) your odds of a "lucky" shot are slim. So far ballistics seen slightly accurate. So more than a single shot to the head makes sense. While irritating it makes sense even in a hardcore mode imho

That's my point though Trev in real life the .22 at almost any range is point and shoot, but has very little penetration unless your target is next to naked. When you account that most players are wearing a coat, vest, backpack, (all loaded with gear) your odds of a "lucky" shot are slim. So far ballistics seen slightly accurate. So more than a single shot to the head makes sense. While irritating it makes sense even in a hardcore mode imho

so you think someone could unload 4 22 rounds into your chest from 10 meters and you would have the strength and capacity to turn around and kill them with 2 shots from an AKM?

Also as far as mechanics currently the more gear you have on you the more damage you take....also none of our gear offers that much ballistics protection and is not all that thick

So a headshot will one hit kill someone? Why the skull is actually very thick and hard to penetrate. I would think a .22 round could penetrate a vest and a jacket and lodge itself in a vital organ before it could penetrate the skull and lodge itself in the brain from close range. 

3pp blah blah shitty blah blah

1pp elite blah imsogood blah blah blah

• Like 1

Currently everything is wonky and all of our gear is "mil-grade" my point is that a loaded jacket/loaded vest is going to deflect the 22's I'm not disagreeing that the mechanics are jacked atm. I'm also stating that short of the ballistic helmet we had more protection for the mid section an I assume everything will get balanced at some point