Acher0n

I really dont get the point of bambi killing.

Poor player in my mind too.

500+ hours of game time; never been killed by a fresh spawn when I had gear.

If you're toting around a weapon in an area where fresh spawns exist, then you deserve to have one of them knock you out and jack your kit.

If you're not good enough to prevent this from happening, you're doing something wrong.

Don't be so pompous.  I trusted a fresh spawn that one punched me when I was going down a ladder.  Also, I wasn't killed.

Best way to protect yourself as a bambi from an armed player?

hide, or if you are cornered and you need to face him, just scream

"omg there is a group of bandit that hides in "random place"  they ambushed me but theyr aim sucks, please, im just trying to hide from them, and stay in allert, they could try to engage you"

always worked for me.

it turned a pair of kosers in friendlies (they where shooting at bambis, and then i said this thing while hiding, so they prefered to go to search them and give me some food in exange for the info)

Newspawns are like brick walls along the narrow path of success or some other extremely retarded metaphor. Easy to walk around, but some like their eggs sunny side-up, and others like their walls filled with lead.

The first thing I do when I see a bambi is talk to him, examine his tone of voice and determine if he is literate. 

Then I will hand him a loaded pistol. 99% of the time they will follow me on my journey and in some instances save my life. 

I don't exchange steam ID's to stay in contact because I want the most realistic experience as possible. 

Not once has someone turned on me when I've done this. 

Edited by SniperwolfMR

Me and my friend were once looted by an unarmed dude, but he really took some effort for it. We met him, we helped him and we were very cautious with him, long story short, over time we started to trust him more and more and then it happened.. Knocked my friend down and stole the gun and killed us both :D .. At first we were angry but mostly to ourselves, it was our fault and must give credit to his backstabbing dedication.

I have made many new DayZ friends to play with by being friend with a bambi, one reason more not to kill bambies. Sometimes it will backfire on you but it is just loot you lose in a game. For me, good gameplay stories are more important than continuous killing of another players.

And boy, you really get some good stories and memories on DayZ... And on many cases i was the one who got killed in the end.

Really, you gotta assume that most bambis are dead bandits. You can let them slide if you have a buddy with you but if you're alone, you do not want to deal with them.

I've seen bambis that were scouts before and we got ambushed later on.

Yes and no. Not all bambies are KoS Fuckdicks.

With that being said,unless you are roling with friends, you must trust no one. ;)

Edited by Vex_Vehix

Just do not let them come too near you. If bambi kills an armed guy then it is a justified kill from a bambi, and i give them my respect. You are poor player in my mind if you let bambis knock you down.

Me and my friend were once looted by an unarmed dude, but he really took some effort for it. We met him, we helped him and we were very cautious with him, long story short, over time we started to trust him more and more and then it happened.. Knocked my friend down and stole the gun and killed us both.

By your own logic you and your friend are also poor players.

• Like 1

By your own logic you and your friend are also poor players.

We are! I am atleast, no denying that, If you think poor player as a dead player. I die all the time. That said, we get very fun sessions which is the ultimate goal to me. And that said, i have never been killed or knocked down by a bambi without me taking a well known risk. They never have jumped on me out of nowhere. So bambis are harmless if you keep certain distance to them and you do not trust them, but in sake of gameplay experience, i urge you to trust them sometimes.

Edit: correction, i was once, on my early hours, knocked down by a bambi who out of nowhere tried to loot me, i woke up and the bambi was dead, i shot him just before i was knocked down. But this happened when i did not pay much attention what was happening around me. And that is vital skill in DayZ if you want to stay alive as we all know.

Edited by Lazengogh

Always watch their behavior before you decide to engage. Once you play for a while you can sense if a fresh spawn is a bandit or bambi, friendly or deceptive. Do they stand out in the open too long? Do they head straight for the best loot areas, or duck into every shit house along a street? Do they loot right away or seem to sprint right for a large town? Are the fists up the whole time? Are they running in the open? Are they always checking behind themselves or oblivious to everything behind them? Are they silent or calling out to people? This is much more interesting than just shooting them all.

I give plenty of space to players that seem like they are comfortable in game at that point. Amount of gear means nothing. I keep the interaction short and head on my way. This ain't Second Life. 

Always watch their behavior before you decide to engage. Once you play for a while you can sense if a fresh spawn is a bandit or bambi, friendly or deceptive. Do they stand out in the open too long? Do they head straight for the best loot areas, or duck into every shit house along a street? Do they loot right away or seem to sprint right for a large town? Are the fists up the whole time? Are they running in the open? Are they always checking behind themselves or oblivious to everything behind them? Are they silent or calling out to people? This is much more interesting than just shooting them all.

I give plenty of space to players that seem like they are comfortable in game at that point. Amount of gear means nothing. I keep the interaction short and head on my way. This ain't Second Life. 

Do you seriously think these things determine whether or not someone is going to kill you? They could do any combination of those things and give absolutely no consistent result.

There is ABSOLUTELY no way to tell what a fresh spawn's intentions are. 

• Like 1

If I kill a bambi, it's only because they didn't avoid me. I cannot tell you how many bambis have simply run right up to me attempting to knock me out and gear up quickly. If a bambi comes remotely close to me I'm on alert, if they get within a stones throw without waving or giving any sign of being friendly I'm going to put them down quickly. I can't remember the exact date but one night it was literally like every bambi was on a mission to zerg the nearest geared player. I literally had about a dozen bambis over the course of maybe 2 hours literally bum rush me fists up trying to knock me out. What a waste of ammo, I think my ax went from worn to badly damaged during that episode. That's when I learned to be careful of bambis.

Case in point - I approached a bambi just now because I had extra gear and was feeling generous. He was a decoy, I got blown away by a friend with a mosin.

Kill bambis. Kill them all.  >:(

..//..

30 rounds of M4 for a (now ruined) tin of spaghetti....

All the more reason im starting to think that frankie/blackout videos are just staged setups.

Survival rule #1: Don't believe everything you see on youtube entertainment channels.

Players KoS for all kinds of reasons. Some players KoS because they can do, it messes up other player's game and makes them feel good, its legal, some people get a kick from vicarious death.

Understand that KoS is a real danger in DayZ, and something every survivor has to deal with.

It can kill you faster than starvation or falling off a ladder. It is part of the game and you have to be aware of it or you won't survive.

If you want to "fight" KoS you must do it in the game, by tactical communication, but this is a technique that has risks - of course (like any DayZ strategies).

Waiting untill you are shot and then complaining, is not good survival strategy.

- enjoy -

I'm pretty sure humans are the only species that kills for fun or sport. Only a sociopath would think that murdering innocent, unarmed people demonstrates power and strength. 

I'm pretty sure that dolphins are thought to kill for fun as well.

Don't be so pompous.  I trusted a fresh spawn that one punched me when I was going down a ladder.  Also, I wasn't killed.

What led you to trust that player? The thing I love about DayZ is that aside from hackers/glitchers, anything that happens to you is your own fault.. KOS'd? Your own fault. Bambi betrays you? Your own fault. There is more to being good at the game than being able to shoot others before they shoot you.

I spawned in Olshcha and am running around when a fullly geared dude come up behind me, I see his weapon animation and he just can't get his rifle equipped.  I speak to him about this and ask if he is just going to shoot me outright, his voip doesn't work, he says he doesn't have a weapon up, I tell him not for lack of trying, I can see you trying to bring the rifle up.  He has the cancel bug and lucky for me, I think the fact I saw him took away the thrill of a sneak kill because I got as far from his lame ass as I could pretty quick after that.

I really dont see the point.

I just spawned on the east coast, some derp was shooting and blowing up the gas station, probably to try and attract attention.

I ran over and found his house. Wearing nothing but my yellow raincoat and tin of spaghetti, i waited outside his house with my hands up. About 20 seconds later he popped out, waited a moment, then put about 8 rounds of M4 into me. As im on the floor he puts the rest of the clip into my dead body.

Now in my 66th hour of playtime, and i've never once seen a friendly player who didnt kos. Ive never even heard another player on voicechat, ever.

All the more reason im starting to think that frankie/blackout videos are just staged setups.

I walked into the police station in Berezino as a totally new spawn. I got a shot in the back but did not die nor fall to the ground. So I walked over to where the shot came from and told the guy he shall finish his job if his passion is to kill new spawns. He gave me rags and food, excused for shooting but he was so excited and full of fear that he just shot as he saw something move. 

Well Yoda is just right. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

My first kill in this game too happened just because i feared my opponent who actually seemed to be a nice guy. But I changed and decided to walk the Light Side. I have way more fun now. Most time I'm busy hitting my voice button while the others just start shooting. But it's worth to not give up hope. There ARE friendly people in the game. And sooner or later you will meet them. Plus killing a guy who opened fire while you try to talk and be a friendly survivor is a very nice thing.

It too depends somehow on which servers you play. I figuered out some that work for me and put them in the favourits. Did you try an PVE server? There are always people ignoring the server rules but some don't. Those you have to find! Hardcore servers are somehow more friendly, too (in my opinion).

• Like 1

I always find that the main goal of Dayz is to get armed up as quickly as possible to defend yourself against other players that are doing the exact same thing you are. The only problem is that by the time you manage to be capable of defending yourself, you look like a bandit. You come into contact with another player, and you panic, they panic too and you end up dying in a hail of bullets out of fear when both parties were probably not intending to kill other players, but the fact that you spent 3 days trawling the land to find gear you don't want to get killed. There are a large number of players that say friendly then kill you when you arent looking, this is what has damaged the game in the sense that most of the time you kill out of fear of being killed rather than teaming up and working together.

The best way (alough still never 100% effective) is to never run around with your gun drawn, don't cover your face with masks because this shows you are covering your identity (just as if you walked into a store wearing a balaclava, you wont get a warm reception) If possible try to survive with only a pistol holstered and no axe. So when another player sees you, all they see is a bambi and not someone tooled up as an immediate threat. This way if they suddenly decide to start swinging an axe at you or try to airm their gun at you, you can draw your pistol and fight back.

But shooting bambis is pointless and wastes ammo. True they can knock you out with a punch if you are not wearing a helmet, but dont put yourself in a position where they break you own personal space, until you are confident they can be trusted

Edited by archamedes

I just spawned on the east coast, some derp was shooting and blowing up the gas station, probably to try and attract attention.

I ran over and found his house. Wearing nothing but my yellow raincoat and tin of spaghetti, i waited outside his house with my hands up. About 20 seconds later he popped out, waited a moment, then put about 8 rounds of M4 into me. As im on the floor he puts the rest of the clip into my dead body.

Now in my 66th hour of playtime, and i've never once seen a friendly player who didnt kos. Ive never even heard another player on voicechat, ever.

find some regs to play with. the public community is pure rubbish. shoot anyone you see because they'll shoot you first chance they get. i suggest you harden up and get cold fast.

Do you seriously think these things determine whether or not someone is going to kill you? They could do any combination of those things and give absolutely no consistent result.

There is ABSOLUTELY no way to tell what a fresh spawn's intentions are. 

Did I say I could predict intentions? No. I said you can examine a players actions to determine if you should engage or avoid. I normally avoid a player that acts like they know what they are doing, and for both I keep my interaction very short. I've never been betrayed by another player after a friendly encounter, and when I engage a bambi or new player I offer help, trade or directions then I'm out. The one that says, "hey that's a sweet gun. We should team up for a while" gets a rude awakening, if I even let it get that far. Either way, I'd rather approach people like that than just kill everyone I see. 

I'm pretty sure humans are the only species that kills for fun or sport. Only a sociopath would think that murdering innocent, unarmed people demonstrates power and strength. 

When a young male lion finds a new pride and makes it his. He KILLS everysingle cub in that pride that isn't his off spring. So humands are not the only one who kill to show power and authority.

Did I say I could predict intentions? No. I said you can examine a players actions to determine if you should engage or avoid. 

Yeah you kind of did...

Always watch their behavior before you decide to engage. Once you play for a while you can sense if a fresh spawn is a bandit or bambi, friendly or deceptive

I assume that's what you meant by "sensing" someone being friendly, deceptive, or a bambi. There is no way to tell if someone is "deceptive" or "friendly" just by the list of things you mentioned. All I'm sayin.

That same person will probably make a thread on this forum, andp his version will be, "i was at the gas station when 5 or 6 heavily armed bandits started shooting at me..."

Why he shot you, because there are no zombies around and he probably has a backpack full of clips.

On the other hand bambis can be bigger asseholes as well, i have probably been attacked by empty handed bambis that armed players

Edited by ld-airgrafix

Bambi's can be the most threatening and itimidatiing part of the game.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.....

One of my first spawns and probably not unfamilliar to many:

Small town, isolated - random Z aggros me. Freshie/Bambie runs up - "Hey. Need any help?" - "SURE! Thanks - new to the game." I say. Armed with a sickle and facing 10-15 hits on a Z I fig why not!

So mid strafe/dance I get hit obv NOT by the Z but by the Bambi - I fig it's a mistake due to proximity.

I get hit to unconsciousness.

I wake up luckily because the Bambi is unable to finish me due to Mr./Mrs. Z is so far up their "you know what" that they cannot finish me off.

I get up - not bleeding - and recieve one last punch from this "for no reason whatsoever aggressive Bambi" - AT THE EXPENSE OF TAKING HITS FROM Z!! - whom I acted friendly to - but see is bleeding HEAVILY and commence a "peace OUT!" go-on-my-way departure and leave said turd-bag to their Z affections...

Nothing to lose & killing(or trying to kill)when someone literally has their pants down/guard down ~ preoccupied = p.o.s. opportunist / sadist.

As far as murdering outright goes - Full geared vs "Bambi" - It depends... Were you there to see the possible conflict that led up to the "Bambi" returning for their gear?

I mean the grey area in this game is fairly pervasive when it comes to heroes and bandits - nevermind the outsider looking in towards a conflict/ bone of contention / circumstances they are not aware of etc....

Just as it goes with a KOS derphead "pwnterizor" giving any armed person in the game a bad name - An opportunist-fist-raised Bambi gives a freshspawn a bad name just as equally.

So that may be why ppl kill Bambi's outright - previous experiences.

Kill with extreme prejudice - ASSUMING you'll just be another opportunist derp head with not a care in the world or a thing to lose by punching you in the head.

Frankly - I cannot blame someone for being on-guard in this game.

As far as torture, sniping and toying with freshies - well that's something unforgivable.

The freshies ought to know better than to EVER give in! As a freshie someone says "DOWN ON THE GROUD/HANDS UP" etc... screw that jazz. What do you have to lose? Keep moving and leave those sadist pricks to their lil wiles. Heck attack them for everything you're worth and hopefully teach them a lesson!

Essentially: Someone EVER tries to outright kill me as a fresh spawn I'm doing 1 of 2 things - Running and making them work for their "thrills" or beating the snot out of them and not giving a care in the world should they kill me! If they do manage to knock me down/out - then I'll make sure they've been insulted enough to not leave me there with broken legs - they'll be incensed enough to put a bullet in my brain. Mark my words.

;

With all the running about hither and yon simply to gear up and threat of armed folks lurking around every corner ready to put a bullet in our arses: the last thing we need is someone slapping us upside the head with their puny epeen - esp as a freshie.

Nor do we need to waste our time with an aggrivated freshie trying to take out their aggression on us because Johnny epeen got their jolly's off on killing them - AND!!! They were (the Bambi) a placid and willing sheep-to slaughter.

So basically - Break my personal bubble when you were told not to - dead or incapped/bandaged ~ sent on your way.

Attack outright = dead.

But judge every single Bambi I come across because there's rotten apples in every bunch? Ignorance.

Do some do this? Yes.

Are they ignroant? Well...We've all been ignorant at some point in our lives so....are you surprised?