Acher0n

I really dont get the point of bambi killing.

I met someone who was very fresh today in the tower at Novo.

I heard him in my way down as he was ranting like a lunatic.

"I hear you little man, I know where you are .... Tehehehehe..."

Almost blew his head off until I saw he was barely geared and only had a wrench.

He did change his ranty Tyne when he saw my magnum aimed at his skull from the staircase able him.

All if a sudden "I'm friendly, friendly... But your going to kill me anyway.

I move past him, asked his story and gave him the misin I had as I didn't need it.

I could have killed him, and his behaviour and ranting almost lead to this, but once I saw him there was really no point to it.

It's a fine line with fresh spawns. They could be an innocent bambi or they could be a bandit who died and will try do punch you out. Space defused the situation but even in close quarters there is the opportunity to spare the player.

there is no point in killing bambis... and that's, well.. the point lol

it's either griefing, target practice or boredom

I really dont see the point.

Last time I saw a bambie, and the 5 or so before that...they all tried to kill me by punching me. That is why u die when I see u.

If we managed to make the life of a bambie matter for ppl...we probaly would see a decrease in suicide behavoir line that.

Hate to say it, but I'm starting to come around to it. I mean I don't want to ruin everyone's day, but a fresh spawn is often more aggressive, more dangerous, more unpredictable than a well geared player. They have nothing to lose, and most are looking to either troll or get a quick set of gear. And lets face it, people are spawning again because they got killed ganking in Berenzino and they would happily be doing the same to you.

When I meet a legitimate new player, and he/she isn't acting all hinky and I can tell they are genuinely new I help them get oriented, give tips, and help them get geared and armed. But if meet a fresh spawn who I can tell is NOT new, is in a hurry to get somewhere, and keeps following or gets close, its just cheaper to put two rounds in them than have to worry about when the super punch out is coming.

I don't do it as a rule but it's worth pointing out that a harmless bambi is only a harmless bambi until they find a weapon. 

Me (freshish spawn) running in my new rain coat with my axe that's probably got two zeds before it's ruined to meet a buddy in Zino.

"Bambi" (I had to assume this guy was new to the game in general cause he's trying to beat this zombie off more that to death, I mean I watched punch that thing in the junk like 10 times as I was running up) I do the nice thing an clober the zed for him. We begin to bandage and he finishes first (barely) I had thankfully been smart enough to fill my status and was all bright green and healthy well he starts trying to beat me off mid bandge, I'm not wearing any head gear but his swinging right at my crotch! Honestly two-three solid hits to the head and he'd have had me. So I finish my bandage tell him to knock it of and start to leave he follows and starts playing grab ass! So I give him a solid swing to the shoulder. He's still punching I tell him in voice if he stops I'll bandage him but nope Bambi learned a hard lesson that day. I hope he's gotten better at the game.

But really I only kill fresh spawns that insist on trying to measure poles. Thankfully most of them just run off the other direction (I'm sure one or two has shot me in the back later but oh well)

I don't do it as a rule but it's worth pointing out that a harmless bambi is only a harmless bambi until they find a weapon. 

...You do realize they can punch you in the head and knock you out, right?

Yeah you kind of did...

I assume that's what you meant by "sensing" someone being friendly, deceptive, or a bambi. There is no way to tell if someone is "deceptive" or "friendly" just by the list of things you mentioned. All I'm sayin.

YOU may not be able to sense if someone is friendly or deceptive or not... But some people can. I have yet to be knocked out by a bambi and I have never been betrayed by someone I befriended...

...Well, I take that back. Someone I befriended befriended another guy, and we were travelling together. I had an M4, and I announced that I was going to go up into the trees and log out. Before logging out, I sat and made sure that the other 2 guys kept running. Sure enough, the "new" guy made some excuse to the friend and shortly after I ran up into the trees, he came up after me.. I confronted him and he lied to me, so I put a round from my M4 in his head. 

I've yet to have my gut instincts be wrong about a person. Whenever I was betrayed in the Mod it was because I didn't trust my instincts. I've made long-term friends through SA and the Mod, and I've killed more than my fair share of other players. Being friendly doesn't make you a chump. It makes you a good person. Being friendly to everyone will eventually make you a victim.. But killing fresh spawns for no other reason than "OH NO THEY CAN PUNCH ME OUT SO I GOTTA EMPTY THIS DRUM MAG INTO THEM" is an asshole move.

YOU may not be able to sense if someone is friendly or deceptive or not... But some people can. I have yet to be knocked out by a bambi and I have never been betrayed by someone I befriended...

...Well, I take that back. Someone I befriended befriended another guy, and we were travelling together. I had an M4, and I announced that I was going to go up into the trees and log out. Before logging out, I sat and made sure that the other 2 guys kept running. Sure enough, the "new" guy made some excuse to the friend and shortly after I ran up into the trees, he came up after me.. I confronted him and he lied to me, so I put a round from my M4 in his head. 

I've yet to have my gut instincts be wrong about a person. Whenever I was betrayed in the Mod it was because I didn't trust my instincts. I've made long-term friends through SA and the Mod, and I've killed more than my fair share of other players. Being friendly doesn't make you a chump. It makes you a good person. Being friendly to everyone will eventually make you a victim.. But killing fresh spawns for no other reason than "OH NO THEY CAN PUNCH ME OUT SO I GOTTA EMPTY THIS DRUM MAG INTO THEM" is an asshole move.

Okay you may be able to make an educated guess based on something you have observed, but it is foolish to say that you can SENSE their intentions. Seriously? Like seriously? I mean there is NO WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE. Someone could "run like a bandit", "act like a bandit", and then you approach them and they're incredibly friendly, or visa versa. There is no sure-fire way to know.

Next someone is going to tell me they know how tall someone is in real life based on their hat-color

No on the coast 

Maybe somewhere inland

Allmost for sure at high loot places. Cause i walked far to get there and wanted what's there....and you could have it. Sad but true!

But when he hits me with a Shovel....he's down!

I walked into the police station in Berezino as a totally new spawn. I got a shot in the back but did not die nor fall to the ground. So I walked over to where the shot came from and told the guy he shall finish his job if his passion is to kill new spawns. He gave me rags and food, excused for shooting but he was so excited and full of fear that he just shot as he saw something move. 

Well Yoda is just right. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

My first kill in this game too happened just because i feared my opponent who actually seemed to be a nice guy. But I changed and decided to walk the Light Side. I have way more fun now. Most time I'm busy hitting my voice button while the others just start shooting. But it's worth to not give up hope. There ARE friendly people in the game. And sooner or later you will meet them. Plus killing a guy who opened fire while you try to talk and be a friendly survivor is a very nice thing.

It too depends somehow on which servers you play. I figuered out some that work for me and put them in the favourits. Did you try an PVE server? There are always people ignoring the server rules but some don't. Those you have to find! Hardcore servers are somehow more friendly, too (in my opinion).

I agree with this.  I have no interest in killing a bambi.  Along those lines I've wondered if it is safer to play a character wearing non-combat clothes with just an ax for the zombies if I really have no desire to get into a firefight.  And for the record most of my encounters have been friendly.

• Like 1

...You do realize they can punch you in the head and knock you out, right?

It's never happened to me yet but then if a bambi starts acting out I tend to put them down.

It's never happened to me yet but then if a bambi starts acting out I tend to put them down.

Okay well just because a car has never run me over doesn't mean it's not harmless lol 

• Like 1

As a fresh spawn in Berezino, I had come across a pick axe. I was making my way to some homes to find a backpack and maybe some clothes and food. Upon turning a corner, I ran into another fresh spawn. He had a crow bar. We both paused and said hello for a moment. I back away slowly, and in no hostile fashion. The pick axe was stowed over my back. Shortly thereafter, the player raised his crowbar and ran at me, fanatically. He met the business end of my pick axe.

None the less, it began recementing the kill or be killed mentality I used to harbor from the mod. I've had several people shoot me, for kicks. I haven't had any gear worth anything on these occasions. If a player is unaware of my location, or that I'm in the area. I will probably let him live, assuming he isn't a bandit. But if for some reason, my position is compromised? I will certainly shoot first and ask questions later. The opposite has unfortunately never been afforded me.

Its understandable why some people prefer to just kill outright.

Okay well just because a car has never run me over doesn't mean it's not harmless lol 

but you wont trash a car just in case the driver one day gets in and tries to run you over, so....

But yeah, the best way to not be a target or look like a target is to wear non military clothes, do not wear a mask or cover your face and stick to pistols that you keep in your bag. If you are seen carrying rifles and axes, people see this as a direct threat, but if you are carrying concealed weapons you can draw them at a seconds notice when some bambi with fists or an axe decides to become a hero.

"Hey, you brought an axe to a gun fight dumbass.Should have decided to behave, now your dead"

I really dont see the point.

Your a threat...

He just eliminated the threat..

Very simple really

but you wont trash a car just in case the driver one day gets in and tries to run you over, so....

But yeah, the best way to not be a target or look like a target is to wear non military clothes, do not wear a mask or cover your face and stick to pistols that you keep in your bag. If you are seen carrying rifles and axes, people see this as a direct threat, but if you are carrying concealed weapons you can draw them at a seconds notice when some bambi with fists or an axe decides to become a hero.

"Hey, you brought an axe to a gun fight dumbass.Should have decided to behave, now your dead"

I lol'd.

I've spammed my hotbar a hundred times before my gun has properly drawn itself too many times to count.

• Like 1

Not even an axe?  That is sad.

Until the weaker lot create a religion and the dumb strong ones believe it.

Aww, a cute little bigot.

• Like 1

Thank you for missing my point archamedes lol

You kill bambies because if a player has zero then he has nothing to lose and all of your gear to gain.

It also reflects real life. If you were in the zombie apoc, or some other Planet of the Apes, style type of societal breakdown then you would not trust random strangers either.

Your out there, society has gone to complete crap and you have barely escaped the big city with your wife and kids (if you are lucky). You come across some random stranger. Are you going to welcome him or her with open arms? I sure as hell am not. The only person I may trust is someone I knew before the crap hit the fan. My safety and my families safety is more important than being kind to strangers.

• Like 1

Okay you may be able to make an educated guess based on something you have observed, but it is foolish to say that you can SENSE their intentions. Seriously? Like seriously? I mean there is NO WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE. Someone could "run like a bandit", "act like a bandit", and then you approach them and they're incredibly friendly, or visa versa. There is no sure-fire way to know.

Next someone is going to tell me they know how tall someone is in real life based on their hat-color

Yeah, like, SERIOUSLY, you can sense peoples intentions through stuff like BODY LANGUAGE. As well as speech patterns, tone of voice, etc. Is your mind blown or what?

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

I think in general there is a split between two camps of players.  There is one group which I think you are a part of which go total immersion and try to logic out exactly what their toon would do given the environment and backdrop as 100% reality.  I liken it to an actor taking on a role 100%.  Keith Ledger played the murderous nut job the Joker to a T, however, he himself was not a murderous nut job and likely abhorred violence in general as most thespians do.  Your camp takes pride in playing the exact part as well as you can.

In the other camp are the people who see this as a game first, and while playing a toon in a miserable situation, see a very distinct chasm between their toon and the computer geek at the keyboard, and play the game from the perspective of the PC nerd who is still under the obligation of being social, and playing at being this character, this distant character who is no more valuable than a peg on a cribbage board.  The toon itself is practically meaningless in this regard and upon death the nerd will simply engage another toon and try again all within his concept of fair play.  I identify with this group and wear the title of socially concerned pc nerd proudly.

There are likely many meta camps in between, but that is what I see so far, and I believe both camps are fundamentally perplexed at the other camp for their sense of enjoyment.  Both of these players are intelligent, and take pride in how they do what they do, which is why I respect both camps, even the one I do not identify with.

Then there is the group of 5 year olds who simply kill because they have not formed any pride in play.  They KOS for the same reason they would pee in your bushes - just to do it - like the kids who hop on a game's insta chat board and scribble parts of anatomy just to be rude because it is the most freedom they have in their life where life is just a bunch of rules handed down by square adults.  They have nothing to do with this conversation though and are a normal hazard of any game that can be played by anyone over the age of 2 with $30 to spend.

The obvious answer to the friction between the camps is servers geared towards each.  The bad part of that though is that both camps lose something in the process.  The total immersion group would lose the easy victims that assuredly would exist to some extent in their world otherwise, and the "it is just a game get over it" group; would lose the thrill of random encounters in a world of crazies.  Imagine servers with nothing but friendly players in a world with a tiny, I mean TINY frikkin population of zombies.  Seriously, where is the fun in that?  Every encounter with players becomes "Morning Fred, kill any zombies today?  No, Scott, but I almost got slaughtered by a mean ladder on Green Mountain.  Cheers mate, let's meet at the NWAF for an easter egg hunt later!"

Yuck.  Just... uh, bleh, YUCK!

We more or less need each other.  What would be nice is if there was one extra element that steered the total immersion, totally mercinary group a little more towards being a few % points more friendly, and I think that would totally be answered by the makers of this zombie apocalypse game actually adding in a few more ******** zombies.  I know, DARE TO DREAM.

• Like 1

Yeah, like, SERIOUSLY, you can sense peoples intentions through stuff like BODY LANGUAGE. As well as speech patterns, tone of voice, etc. Is your mind blown or what?

WHAT BODY LANGUAGE!? Are you dense? What body language is there in DayZ that enables your force-like abilities to "sense" someone's murderous or friendly intentions? Okay so you can lean...jump...walk...put your hands up, flip someone off, and clap in DayZ. Which combination of those gives you the gateway to a bambi's mind?

Honestly, I think some of you people forget DayZ isn't real life

*smh*

edit: Gave ya some beans for your A+ logic

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

WHAT BODY LANGUAGE!? Are you dense? What body language is there in DayZ that enables your force-like abilities to "sense" someone's murderous or friendly intentions? Okay so you can lean...jump...walk...put your hands up, flip someone off, and clap in DayZ. Which combination of those gives you the gateway to a bambi's mind?

Honestly, I think some of you people forget DayZ isn't real life

*smh*

edit: Gave ya some beans for your A+ logic

Clearly you don't understand body language. There's more to body language than the physical actions. 

An example... If someone is crowding toward you, they are not giving you your personal space, which is a sign of hostility/aggression. Passive/submissive players/people/animals will attempt to make themselves smaller and put themselves further away, preferring a defensive posture, stance, or position. Hostile/Aggressive players/people/animals will attempt to make themselves larger, or attempt to own more "space/real estate" in the vicinity.. An aggressive player may run around in circles in your area, and close to you, while a passive player would crouch down and move away from you. 

DayZ is real life in as much as players are people and people inherently and unconsciously manifest their emotional state into whatever "reality" they are currently occupying. 

I have videos which demonstrate this, and if you actually pay attention in game to how people "act/move/posture", then it becomes pretty apparent. An example that comes to mind was that a friend and I were watching Berezino from the western hill, and we saw a player on top of the police station.. He had a small backpack on, and a starter weapon (maybe an SKS? if I recall..) We could just tell by the way that he was moving and standing and where and when he was pausing that he was relatively new to the game and that he was most likely friendly. Turned out we were right.

Language (if it gets to that point) is also a pretty clear indication of someones intentions, especially when combined with their "body language".

You can mock my logic and denounce this stuff all you want... Or you can incorporate it into your own play and see the results for yourself.