Sign in to follow this  
gibonez

Anti- Ghosting measures

Pretty simple suggestion.

Do not allow people to spawn into a server if there is already a player within 100m of the place you are attempting to spawn into.

This would stop ghosting to some degree .

Sounds like it'd be more of a pain in the ass than a real measure.

Sure for the person trying to ghost in not for the player who manages to not get shot in the back from a room he just cleared.

Well, just think about it.  Server Restarts and you were in the middle of Electro or some other high value place.  You thought you were alone and try logging in.  You can't so you know there's someone nearby, so when you finally can log in you start looking for whoever it was.  That in and of itself would be a form of ghosting wouldn't it?

*EDIT* or even if you were with your friends and one of them crashes, now the party has to run 100m away and not get lost so their friend can join back in.

Edited by BigMike

Do not allow people to spawn into a server if there is already a player within 100m of the place you are attempting to spawn into.

That would mean clan members cannot log off and log in at the same time/place anymore. So I don't think many will like this.

Besides that, 100m is to less to be effective for flanking measures and will only help for ghosting in buildings.

The timer of 250 seconds (or something like that) is more than enough I think? I haven't seen anyone ghosting me as far as I know.

I like the idea with the safe zone around players. It makes playing with friends a little bit more complicated as you have to regroup even if you logged out together but thats actually a good thing overall. The radius prevents both intentional and accidental logging in next to an "enemy" as well as instant reinforcements for a group that is camping inside a buildung.

For flanking, repositioning etc. its would be enough to also add a significant server switch time (right now its 100 seconds which is way too short) but there is no reason to add this for simple spawning. Still this short timer plus your body staying there for another 30s made ghosting much riskier and probably reduced the number of serverA->serverB->serverA ghosters but it doesn't do much against serverB->serverA ghosting reinforcements.

Simpler suggestion, pacifist mode! Invulnerability for login through please wait, 15-20second after you actually gain control of your toon. But you can't attack during this time frame either. Same for log out, unless in player combat. Zombie Afro should at some point get fixed where it no longer is possible a zed from 30 minutes ago is still agro. Simple tick for player combat, if player A's targeted you and fired at you he can kill you if you try to combat log, no fire = no death. Just because he saw you doesn't always mean you saw him.

No I don't like spawn protection. There is nothing more frustrating than invulnerable players. Especially in a realistic setting. Even if you can't attack you can still do a lot of things and then attack after your protection fades. same for logging out. If someone knows you are there and comes after you he should not be stopped by logging out. Actually I would like it if you could rob a logging player without killing him.

This would indeed prevent ghosting, but it would also make it a giant hassle for friends to play on the same server, since they need to log out more then 100m away from each other.

Tbh its a bad idea, which comes with far more downsides then upsides.

It come with more upsides (read above) - friends can still log out together but need some regrouping when logging in which actually benefits the game as there won't be a squad spawning in the building right next to you. Still 100m might be a little far. Maybe as short as 20m would do the job.

I am bit annoyed having to wait 100 secs because a server restarted, I got randomly kicked, I lost connection to a session for whatever reason. So 100 seconds because people jump servers to go to a different location to come back and kill someone from behind is punishing the average player more than the people that do this.

I would prefer random spawning on first entry then spawning where you were last time you logged off on a server.

So I log into server A for the first time I randomly spawn, I play and log off at NE airfield, I jump onto another server, server B I have not played on, I spawn randomly then play until finally logging off at the NW airfield. I return to server A but I appear where I last logged off on that server which was the NE airfield.

In my opinion people deserve to be ghosted if their still in the same position when engaging someone after enough time has passed for the enemy to jump servers and appear somewhere else and kill them from behind.

Or maybe they could just stop doing retarded things like removing log-in sound. Or maybe preventing someone from re-entering a server for a serious amount of time after leaving it. But these ideas both make sense, so they will not be implemented.

Not a fan of the 100m idea. Could also have a double-edged use, giving an exploit to players using it as a radar. Like "oh hey shit guys, don't spawn in yet, there's people here" etc. etc. 

For flanking, repositioning etc. its would be enough to also add a significant server switch time (right now its 100 seconds which is way too short) 

And what if the server I'm on restarts ? Out of the game for several minutes ?

And what if the server I'm on restarts ? Out of the game for several minutes ?

Server restart does not give you switch times. Also the whole restarting thing should be less of an issue if they add respawning loot and optimize the game enough to keep running servers for a longer period of time. Thise frequent server restarts are not supposed to stay.

Server restart does not give you switch times. Also the whole restarting thing should be less of an issue if they add respawning loot and optimize the game enough to keep running servers for a longer period of time. Thise frequent server restarts are not supposed to stay.

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

That may be a server setting, was on my buddies server today for multiple restarts not a single 100second timer. Even on forced restart (was just me and him in the server and I got glitched into a wall. But still just "wait for host" and "please wait" no spawn timers at all?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

• Like 3

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202269-my-huge-suggestion-list-long-topic/

Or just look at my idea [1] and mainly the [3] on my long list of features.

I have described something that can fix both issue of server jumpers and the fact that you get killed cause someone spawn next to you.
My system don't make anyone having trouble like prevent spawn or move someone etc.
When your spawn, your actions are only visible for yourself, if you take object and suddenly disconnect after less than 20 minutes for example, the objects you have take/use on the server stay taken/moved for you, but not for others players, and you start as a "ghost" it mean even if you are next to a player, you don't see him and he don't see you except if he is in your friend list (will apparently be in the game) or if you type his name and a command on the tchat, and after a certain amount of time, when their is no one near to you and of the object you have use/take/move you and your actions become part of the real world.
It solves every issues at once, you can still join a friend, you can't be killed cause someone spawn near to you or cause you spawn near to someone, server won't be empty cause of people that connect, take everything on the NE airbase (for example) and just go to another server, if they don't meet anyone their is no reason for object to disappear cause of them.

And the same system can be apply to the zombies, for example you simply spawn, you see no zombies, and, in a shorter time, and once you are far enough from zombies, the zombies start reveal to you, if you have no interaction with any other player (and far from them) and you kill a zombies and then disconnect after a short time (before you get really integrated into the world) the zombies you kill respawn even if the server state no zombies respawn.

Cause in real we don't have people that come from another dimension and do stuff like make object even more rare than they actually already are or make it more easy by cleaning zombies.

I have been in a building more than once when I heard the familiar sound of a gun loading and someone logging in. A few times it's been server hoppers in military buildings. I don't KOS anyone except proven bandits and lazy ass server hoppers in military buildings. If you are that lazy or just not smart enough to save somewhere that you won't get shot in the back, you deserve to die.

So no, I don't think your anti ghosting measure is an anti ghosting measure at all.