Sign in to follow this  
Rigor Mortis (DayZ)

[Suggestion] Giant Voice

For anyone who is unfamiliar with a Giant Voice system -- it is a very tall pole with a stack of speakers on top used for mass notifications in emergencies.  I'm sure you've heard them for something in your area if you live in the US -- they usually test these at least once a month with a long wailing tone at noon.

Anyways, my idea is to make a couple of locations in each city where you can access the mass notification system for that town and broadcast a very loud message that could be heard even out into the countryside.  Since it would broadcast from many stacks at once, I don't think it would give away the players exact location (although there would be limited locations to broadcast from), and it would give people the ability to put out warnings, requests, and whatever else they feel like.

Perhaps they would require a generate to be fixed before they worked, but I think it would be fun if you could just go up and announce whatever you felt like to a whole town.

• Like 3

As cool as that sounds, I see it being used as a platform to spew racist and homophobic remarks to everyone within earshot........I hear enough of that already in-game from pre-pubescent children...not sure giving them a loudspeaker is a good idea  :lol:

• Like 3

I totally support this. As long as it's in Russian and I have no idea what you're saying.

• Like 2

I like it, but like you said, you'd need power for it and I think a generator next to it seems kind of unrealistic, maybe only in the biggest city.

I've been in the US and I've seen them, but I've never been to Russia, do they have those?

I like it, but like you said, you'd need power for it and I think a generator next to it seems kind of unrealistic, maybe only in the biggest city.

I've been in the US and I've seen them, but I've never been to Russia, do they have those?

Mass alert systems are common worldwide, although the styles are different all over.  You could make them powered by a hand crank system so you could crank for say 30 seconds and then you could broadcast a 10 second message or something.  That way there's some minor complexity, but you don't have to get a ton of gear to announce that you are the King of Berezino :D

We got some in France on top of fire station. The thing is... you can't speak, it is just an alarm signal.

That would prevent from stupid message, and just give information that someone is in the fire station atm.

Only tone/siren/melody - Nobody does voice IRL : from a acoustic basis it would be awfull for clear understanding to solve reverberation, echo, multi-source overlap.

Only radio broadcast would work for voice.

2135.jpg

According to this picture, there are some of this, but Chernarus is not Russia

Edited by JiJi

Trust me, you can do voice on these systems... I designed and installed them all over the world.  Yes, echo is a problem so people have to speak slowly -- and yes, usually when they test them they only output a tone, but almost all the mass alert systems out there can produce voice.

Trust me, you can do voice on these systems... I designed and installed them all over the world.  Yes, echo is a problem so people have to speak slowly -- and yes, usually when they test them they only output a tone, but almost all the mass alert systems out there can produce voice.

I can attest to this. I live on a military base and they DO speak when a test is done. But there is usually a two second pause after every word. But even the ability to make an air raid siren go off, for instance to deafen everyone at an airfield to your footsteps at the cost of mad zombie spawns... I am intrigued. :beans: 

Think of the hysteria.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with a Giant Voice system -- it is a very tall pole with a stack of speakers on top used for mass notifications in emergencies.  I'm sure you've heard them for something in your area if you live in the US -- they usually test these at least once a month with a long wailing tone at noon.

Anyways, my idea is to make a couple of locations in each city where you can access the mass notification system for that town and broadcast a very loud message that could be heard even out into the countryside.  Since it would broadcast from many stacks at once, I don't think it would give away the players exact location (although there would be limited locations to broadcast from), and it would give people the ability to put out warnings, requests, and whatever else they feel like.

Perhaps they would require a generate to be fixed before they worked, but I think it would be fun if you could just go up and announce whatever you felt like to a whole town.

I suggested air raid sirens and foghorns, I think they would be better.

As has been said already truly vile people play this game, I don't want to hear their voices spouting racism or sexually explicit things, many times in videos I've seen people kill female characters and talk about raping them or them being whores and it's just not cool, it may only be a game and may not be a real woman, or even a woman playing the game for that matter but it's still disgusting.

So just air raid sirens etc would be better in my opinion, then the message is anonymous and unclear, do people want a fight, to talk or what? Go and find out or take it as a warning.

I suggested air raid sirens and foghorns, I think they would be better.

As has been said already truly vile people play this game, I don't want to hear their voices spouting racism or sexually explicit things, many times in videos I've seen people kill female characters and talk about raping them or them being whores and it's just not cool, it may only be a game and may not be a real woman, or even a woman playing the game for that matter but it's still disgusting.

So just air raid sirens etc would be better in my opinion, then the message is anonymous and unclear, do people want a fight, to talk or what? Go and find out or take it as a warning.

By that logic they should take away the chat in game and only allow people to make beeps.  I know people might do stupid stuff with it, but that's their choice....

By that logic they should take away the chat in game and only allow people to make beeps.  I know people might do stupid stuff with it, but that's their choice....

So we should allow such horrible things?

Chat is in a limited area.

It'd mostly be people being racist and whatever else because they can get away with it and hardcore 12 year olds being bamf.

C'mon, you know it would 99.99999999999999999% be abused not used for anything genuine except that 0.00000000000000001% of "Come to the airfield and lets fight"

What positive uses would it really have anyway?

"Hey come to Grishno and lets trade!"

Speaker: "Hey I've got an engraved 1911, willing to trade for a AKM mag?"

Only other non a-hole: "Sure!"

*thundering of marching army*

38 a-hole's: "KILL 'EM ALL TO DEATH!!!"

• Like 1

So we should allow such horrible things?

<deleted examples>

I get your argument without the examples... it doesn't change the fact that you want to limit people's gameplay choices by leaving out a neat, easy to add, and realistic feature. As far as I understand, the whole point of this game is to give tons of freedom to players in a realistic world and see what they do with it.

There are threads and threads and threads about limiting in game freedoms to appease some squeamish individuals if you want to read them... I'm done arguing about it.

• Like 1

I get your argument without the examples... it doesn't change the fact that you want to limit people's gameplay choices by leaving out a neat, easy to add, and realistic feature. As far as I understand, the whole point of this game is to give tons of freedom to players in a realistic world and see what they do with it.

There are threads and threads and threads about limiting in game freedoms to appease some squeamish individuals if you want to read them... I'm done arguing about it.

Well then why don't they add in genitals and let us rape each other, for the sake of realism? Lot of that would be going on in this situation.

As well as the option to scalp people and shove zucchini's so far up people's butts they come out their mouth.

It's a game, there's a limit to what should be allowed regardless of the premise of freedom. No doubt you've heard of the issues with Manhunt level violence in games as well as racism in any game, i.e BioShock Infinite. If crap like the above was allowed DayZ would get taken down.

The only high point of it would be the sheer satisfaction of finding and killing someone who turned the system on and sat looping shitty music then just yelling "DAAAAAMMMMMMMMN SONNNNNNNNN!!!!!" down the mic and switching it off.

However, what would be cool I think is if he could find ham radios or something, perhaps like 6(as many as there are walkie channels) then people could have a radio system, perhaps even roleplay as a wastlenad radio service similar to Fallout that would be kinda cool and at least then if you don't have a walkie/radio you don't have to give a damn.

However, what would be cool I think is if he could find ham radios or something, perhaps like 6(as many as there are walkie channels) then people could have a radio system, perhaps even roleplay as a wastlenad radio service similar to Fallout that would be kinda cool and at least then if you don't have a walkie/radio you don't have to give a damn.

I was considering posting a radio suggestion (as I was a radio tech for many years in the military), but there are already plenty of threads on that and the game has walkies already.  I believe I have an old post somewhere that gives recommendations for improvements to the radios that are already in game... but I would have to go look for that and it's lunch time here :D.

I totally support this. As long as it's in Russian and I have no idea what you're saying.

HAhaa ! this ^^ the only way we could have something like this.. There is no way in hell you could let ppl use their voice comm over something like that, I hope thats not what you meant op :D

HAhaa ! this ^^ the only way we could have something like this.. There is no way in hell you could let ppl use their voice comm over something like that, I hope thats not what you meant op :D

That is what I meant, and I don't see why ppl are so against the idea.  It might even help admins ban trolls... they could just listen to what is going over the giant voice system in each major city (there would probably be less than 10 in the whole map so it wouldn't be that hard) and when someone starts spouting racist propaganda, ban their ass -- or don't, because you believe in the 'sandbox' genre and truly want to let people do whatever they want.  You can't have it both ways.

"Let's let everyone do whatever they want, but not things we don't like." -- John J. Hypocrite

when someone starts spouting racist propaganda, ban their ass -- or don't, because you believe in the 'sandbox' genre and truly want to let people do whatever they want.

This is why devs said they dislike idea to let players write (spray paint) on wall, and so why they will not proceed with this suggestion (at least for voice).

Now for my only point of view, kicked shortly after or not, it would just kill immersion to let kids shout bullsh*t all around the map. Noway please.

Edited by JiJi

I should auto loop a message of love and happiness because as in real life in dayz life is short, it should however only be shouted in German because life is also terrifying and confusing

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter if admins could ban people abusing it I mean A) There has to be admins B) Admins will probably be the biggest culprits C) What good would it be if you got banned for it all the time by some cool admin that bans people for any minor offence to them?

realistic feature

Not sure how realistic it would be, like said it would need power that obviously isnt available just like that. Also I dont think they actually have microphones attached to these systems since they are usually just recorded messages.

Ofc it could be done, but I also fail to see any real use for it. Could be fun for trolling though.

I see a problem with that, what would that be powered by ? I don't we have electricity in DayZ.