CANUCKinNZ

What Do You Want to See When you die?

What do I want to see when I die?  My ex-wife being crammed into the business end of an elephant by Satan.

When I die in this game? Well....

How I died.

Who killed me.

And I would like to come back as a semi-conscious zombie for 10 minutes with a chance to go get the friendly-killer who put me down.

I think that just might be a suggestion for the devs.

And here ladies and gents is why this game is full of little kids, COD. If you want the COD killcam then go play COD.

And this is exactly the kind of elitism I was talking about. Thank you for proving my point.

And this is exactly the kind of elitism I was talking about. Thank you for proving my point.

This isn't elitism. DayZ has never had a kill cam nor ever needed one nor has ANYONE ever suggested one because this game is supposed to be a simulator, not another team death match game. The kill cam would be abused by groups and would be totally unfair to people who have the patience to wait for their prey to come to them.

This isn't elitism.

"And here ladies and gents is why this game is full of little kids, COD. If you want the COD killcam then go play COD."

Obviously, our definitions of elitism differ. ;)

Apparently.

This isn't elitism. DayZ has never had a kill cam nor ever needed one nor has ANYONE ever suggested one because this game is supposed to be a simulator, not another team death match game. The kill cam would be abused by groups and would be totally unfair to people who have the patience to wait for their prey to come to them.

You two need to play a few games together.

"Now go take his gear, I did the hard part."

"I'm not lifting a finger.  He was only saying high."

"Yeah, I always say high with a .45."

"It was only a .22, and it was pointed over your shoulder."

"That happens to be where my head is located."

"I'm too tired from lugging around all this food/water/medicine/pots/wrench/little chefs oven."

"Well I'm too tired from lugging around the guns, blades, 22/45/357/9 and buck ammo."

"How about we go hunt zombies?"

"That's just crazy talk.  We killed the last one on this server a month ago."

"Go hunt bandits?"

"Agreed."

I just want to know what killed me so that I can possibly learn from it. Plain text is fine. A combat log would be generous. The frustrating death in alpha is when you don't know if it's from a random bug, you fell through some invisible hole in the stairs, or if you got sniped with a crossbow. I don't care that I actually died, only HOW I died.

• Like 1

How about just a simple fade to black in first person view (with ragdoll that might be awesome}

Wouldn't that be awesome though if it were possible IRL? No? 

Seriously tho, I'd rather see some stats like how many days survived and distance travelled and such.

• Like 1

How I died.

Who killed me.

And I would like to come back as a semi-conscious zombie for 10 minutes with a chance to go get the friendly-killer who put me down.

I think that just might be a suggestion for the devs.

Oh yes! I that would be a good option. 10 minute zombie mode but only as an option. It would stop some campers and make people just quickly pick and choose your gear before you come back. 

Edited by CANUCKinNZ

I want to see a 5 second kill cam with slow-mo of where he is, a big ass beacon to let me know where he was, his name, where I was shot, if my character crapped his pants before dying or after dying and why he killed me.

Jokes aside, I'm fine with "You are dead" really. Let's me hit respawn quicker.

• Like 1

yes - but the server does not know who shot you, or 'what happened' to you in the moments before you die.

a bullet hit, or fall damage, is added in to the total health effects for your avatar.. when that reaches X, you are dead.

so if you were shot and fell off a ladder you might get 'you are dead because of "broken leg" or "shock" or even dehydration, why not ?

all the server can tell you is the last calculation which took your avatar to "dead", it has no life record of where the different outside effects come from. It only has the total, and the last calculation among the many that it made

so - Black Screen .." if you dont know what happened you weren't paying attention when you should have been. that's WHY you are dead."

you are dead because - "you blew it" and if you are dead, what else do you need to know ? .. 

you are dead because  - "DayZ is a dangerous place"  ??

also "dead" means you don't get to know why, or what happens next.

No filmic battle hero dramatic sugary stuff please, it's not realistic. You are dead because you blew it, not because you are a noble warrior.

Respawning is good enough.

xx

I agree with you on this one. there are many, many things I HATE about the SA, but for the love of all that is good no more un-necessary info that you wouldn't have IRL. this simple black screen cut-off is the one thing the got compleetly right.

As others have said, there is a huge variety of problems associated with telling you what killed you, who killed you, and how far. many private hives on the mod now have tickers that give weapon and range of your killer. Every single clan with any degree of expereince anc then EASILY look at where you died and figure out 1 or 2 viable positions for your attacker to have been in.

• Like 1

I think a short message saying how you died would be good. A lot of the time I'm just walking around, loving life, and POW! I'm dead. I want to know from what though... Was it a sniper? Did I glitch through the ground and fall to my death? Did I de-sync and was actually being mauled by a zombie?

Nothing else though... No killcam etc. That would just ruin the realism of the game and thus destroy the immersion.

Very reasonable.

Well at least I'd like a more elaborate death message not just some random text box

Otherwise,

The first one would be very nice

I like the second one but people are probably gonna whine on it so maybe not

The reason so many of us are against messages saying who killed you is it is another immersion killer. The game has ebough meta gaming problems already, and would lead to further problems of people playing this like a sandbox CoD.

I would like it if the game allowed other players to examine a dead body to determine the cause of death. Perhaps being able to tell what caliber bullet if the person was shot.

This could lead to detective work and would be handy when more guns and calibers were released.

Someone leaving a trail of bambis dead in Elektro with 7.62 wounds? Then you see someone with a Mosin drinking at a well with a Mosin on his back between Elektro and Cherno? Pretty suspicious.....

Edited by Demoth

I would keep it just the way it is, why make more? It's all the more gritty like that. I would be for simple stats, surviving time and such.

But has anyone noticed that "Game music" would completely destroy the atmosphere? I hope they don't change a thing as far as the Death screen and the "no music" goes.

-snip-

Ohh Irish, you are trying to hard now ;)

• Like 1

Ohh Irish, you are trying too hard now ;)

That took Zero effort.. ;)

Ill try hard now.

heaven-and-hell-2.jpg

The screen fades in with one of these images depending on if you were good or bad during your life. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

"You are dead. You suck. Learn to play."

Or something to that effect.

I think a short message saying how you died would be good. A lot of the time I'm just walking around, loving life, and POW! I'm dead. I want to know from what though... Was it a sniper? Did I glitch through the ground and fall to my death? Did I de-sync and was actually being mauled by a zombie?

..//..

Very reasonable.

Dudes, how do you suppose the server can tell you that you glitched or you de-synched ??

think about it

Do we want a kill cam so we can see exactly where we got killed from. (It might stop some campers as we now would know their spot but what other problems could it introduce?)  No.

Do we want to see our body rag doll with blood spraying into the air from the various wounds we received. No.

Do we want to die and then have to option to stay in body to see if we get looted or not and by who? No.

How about a kill message. "You were shot in the head 1 time and the arm 1 time resulting in your death by bleeding out." No.

Do we want to know who killed us and maybe from what distance?  No.

Black screen. And I like the "You Are Dead" simply because its a DayZ thing.

• Like 2

I'd like to see some stats somewhere about how long you survived, and at least how much distance you covered. Maybe not at the death screen, but at least somewhere in the game.