gibonez

What are good game mechanics/ features from other games that work in dayz ?

This would be my starter list.  The current jump/fall mechanics in the game are horrible.  What do you mean I can't jump to my left/right while strafing?

Ability to climb and pull self up onto any wall >8ft - Would be very useful

Ability to drop and roll to reduce fall damage - Sure sounds nice I guess

Dodge mechanic to be able to do a 'commando roll' - Wut...? http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3707935/roll-panda-roll-o.gif    Just why?

As for jumping left and right while strafing, I can see it with a melee weapon but it seems kinda odd with a handgun, let alone a rifle. Especially in a combat situation.

This isn't a feature from another game, however I feel that it should be mentioned. Lets say in the future DayZ will have better sounds for the environment, like accidentally knocking trash cans over, running into fences, and in this case open-able objects (doors, gates, etc). https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JomcPnGYL6A#t=157

If this is included in DayZ, I would like to see a new open/close system, in which the player targets the knob, latch, or whatever and then holds down the action key. Upon doing so he can move the door by aiming his camera in a certain direction. For a car trunk you would grab the latch on the back and move the camera up and down. For doors it would be left or right and vice-versa. With the rusty sounds included you could factor in how fast the player moves the object to how much noise the object will make. This would give the environment a very tangible feel to it and give the players options based on stealth. Either slow down and be quiet or rush in and make tons of noise.

Now of course people will complain that every open-able object will make noise. However that can be adjusted as well. Simply make it a percentage chance for each open-able object to be "squeaky" upon reset. This will simulate the fact that some doors squeak on some days and not on others.

Lastly, for those quick getaway moments, you could add in a fast double click option on the door that will slam it open, with lots of noise obviously.

Edited by Hikurac

I think what I'd welcome the most is a completely overhauled character movement system.

The current one is so clunky it makes me wanna cry. Especially urban/indoor combat is turned into a nightmare by this, but the rest is not much better.

Manual bolting? Sure. Personally I don't miss it but It'd be a neat feature that is hopefully not too much work to code.

Vision beeing affected by masks and helmet? Yes please, that's immersion gold.

Edited by Buffaloe

Ace mod IEDs.

They could give walkie talkies more crafting potential by having you combine an IED or any explosive with a walkie talkie then choosing the channel of the walkie talkie , then simply find another walkie talkie connect to the channel the IED is on and it will detonate.

pd3021924.jpg

The ability to use tripwires on them would be fantastic too as a means to secure locations and ensure there are no intruders.

• Like 1

Red Orchestra 2 : Free aim + manual bolting

Free aim used to be possible by changing some settings in the files, a relic from ARMA2. I played with it all the time.

I think it would be nice, but can't really see how it would work with the really nice weight system they have implemented. I tried to show it in the video but it was always useful to me in the way that I could lower my weapon slightly and peer over the weapon. I know Dslyecxi has made videos about how he doesn't like it but he also has TrackIR, and can fluidly lower his aim with his mouse while peering over the sights using his TrackIR.

Edited by Hells High

Free aim used to be possible by changing some settings in the files, a relic from ARMA2. I played with it all the time.

I think it would be nice, but can't really see how it would work with the really nice weight system they have implemented. I tried to show it in the video but it was always useful to me in the way that I could lower my weapon slightly and peer over the weapon. I know Dslyecxi has made videos about how he doesn't like it but he also has TrackIR, and can fluidly lower his aim with his mouse while peering over the sights using his TrackIR.

Forced free aim would be that tiny extra step that makes the game less like a twitch shooter and into its own unique game.

Forced free aim can also be used to offer diverse weapons and have them each feel unique.

Long heavy weapons such as the mosin could have alot of free aim meanwhile pistols and light smgs can be tighter and have alot less free aim.

• Like 1

incremental door opening.

Exactly what I'd like to see! Hopefully it could be added with a sound, so the faster you open a door, the more noise it will make.

Red orchestra 2

Animated Iron sights

Love how the iron sights animated up and down and the iron sights realistically let you adjust up to 2000m just like a real life mosin.

The way this game treats the pu scope is also true to life and elevation adjustments move the reticle inside the scope.It also accurately elevation adjusts to the max possible on the pu scope 1300m.

The attention to detail is amazing in this game even when you lay on slanted surfaces your scopes and iron sights reflect that.

Another thing that Red orchestra 2 does that no other game to date has ever done imo is give LMGs or machineguns the power they deserve.

To me RO2 is probably the closest any game has gotten to show how much of a powerhouse lmgs are how having one in the right static position is absolutely devastating.

The best thing Red Orchestra 2 does however is the gun mechanics shooting in this game is rewarding yet challenging, it is super intuitive and visceral. This feels absolutely nothing like a twitch shooter and feels so alien to 90 percent of FPS out there. The way they achieve this is by forcing free aim on everyone and then having really tight shooting controls. The end result is Rifles feel like rifles, SMGS feel like SMGS and pistols feel and behave like pistols.

There are countless other things this game does right and part of the reason is because much like Dayz Red orchestra 2 is a game that would not be possible if it were done in a Triple A studio with big box publishers in charge of the game.

Like Dayz this game is unforgiving and breaks so many of the general rules that games follow, it does not care about holding your hand or making the game accessible to the player it focuses on realism and having authentic representation of what ww2 combat would be like along with very unique unorthodox shooting mechanics that just GEL.

Although I am sure the devs have played it before if you guys have not I highly recommend you guys to give Red orchestra 2 a shot it does so many things perfectly and hands down probably has the best gunplay I have ever experienced in any FPS.

• Like 3

Red orchestra 2

To further demonstrate how perfectly Red Orchestra 2 does LMGS here is a video of how it handles LMGs in prone/deployed on objects VS standing unsupported.

As you can see when the bipod is deploy the LMG provides a very stable heavy low recoil platform, that is devastating at all ranges. IT is able to lay down accurate very consistent fire to suppress and eliminate targets.

When standing however the weapon is treated as if it is extremely heavy and thus can only be shot via hipfire and with the amazing free aim this results in a very bad shooting platform where it is only useful at extremely close range. The players movement speed is also slower when you have an LMG to further demonstrate the LMGS weakness while giving it free reign to put emphasis on its strengths.

Dayz could take the same approach to LMGS in order to balance them while also not limiting them. Making them force the player to deploy in order to provide accurate long range fire while making them pretty useless undeployed would be an awesome game mechanic.

Dayz could take the same approach to LMGS in order to balance them while also not limiting them. Making them force the player to deploy in order to provide accurate long range fire while making them pretty useless undeployed would be an awesome game mechanic.

If they were deployable on all flat surfaces like in RO that would be sweet indeed.

However, as long as the weapon can only be rested by going prone and using the bipod this is not a very good idea since it puts the weapon in rather silly limits.

If they were deployable on all flat surfaces like in RO that would be sweet indeed.

However, as long as the weapon can only be rested by going prone and using the bipod this is not a very good idea since it puts the weapon in rather silly limits.

Of course.

A stance system + weapon resting + Arma 3's bullet penetration system = LMGs actually being powerful machines of destruction

Imagine a situation of a squad of people being held up inside of a building meanwhile you and your squad deploy pkm and begin to rip into the building suppressing the people inside limiting their ability to return fire and keeping their head down while they take some casualties from rounds that penetrate.

Meanwhile your squad closes the distance and lobs a grenade into a window or breaches and clears the suppressed players.

• Like 1

1 ) I don't know how a "jump/grab" might work, as a second option with "bunnyhop".
I imagine "jump/grab/pull up" to go with "drop/grab let go" to get up an obstacle and to get back down.

But ATM anyone walking off the edge of anything, relying on "drop/grab-let go" to get back to the ground - would have to be pretty brave, or desperate, IMO. But I don't know how many situations this would be useful in ? Getting off 1 story buildings ? Climbing trashcan and jumping up to grab ?

Would definitely be very nice to have an action like this that worked with  windows. If we can already break the windows, would be good to be able to climb in and out.

2 ) have masks obstruct vision seems logical.. same as we had NV goggles restricting field of view in the Mod

3 ) a melee 'parry' would be cool, it could change gameplay considerably, is interesting idea

Already on the to do list but still:

1)Action system just like in every game. In other games there's no way you'll accidentally eat rotten apple when you try to open a door...

Then what almost every zombie game has:

2)Slowing down for some seconds after getting hit. This can make one zombie deadly because when it hits you other zombies can also catch you and suddenly you've horde around you that you've to fight or die. Fleeing from the middle of a zombies would be impossible.

Edited by St. Jimmy

c8cmTi4h.jpg

Free look I really hope that means they copy the Red Orchestra 2 approach to aiming and shooting.

Forcing everyone to have free aim and free look would be amazing a non adjustable free look setting that varies gun by gun combined with the dexterity system would be a real satisfying system.

Not so sure what the obsession with freeaim is all about. All it really represents is a person not aiming at what they're looking at, in the cases where you are not shooting at the center of the screen. I am also not seeing any tactical advantages. If there are two guys to your left, one on screen and one off screen and you free aim to take the shot, the second guy goes unnoticed and caps you. IDK, maybe I'm just not understanding what it brings to the table.

Another feature add from other games, seriously can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Even I forgot, till now....

- interacting with ladders by walking into them

or, at the very least

- proximity button interaction with ladders (so you don't have to risk death searching for that sweet spot)

Not so sure what the obsession with freeaim is all about. All it really represents is a person not aiming at what they're looking at, in the cases where you are not shooting at the center of the screen. I am also not seeing any tactical advantages. If there are two guys to your left, one on screen and one off screen and you free aim to take the shot, the second guy goes unnoticed and caps you. IDK, maybe I'm just not understanding what it brings to the table.

Another feature add from other games, seriously can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Even I forgot, till now....

- interacting with ladders by walking into them

or, at the very least

- proximity button interaction with ladders (so you don't have to risk death searching for that sweet spot)

It is not about what advantages it provides to the player or if it is realistic the advantage of forced free aim is what it does to gameplay.

Spend some time playing Red orchestra 2 and you will instantly appreciate it.

The best way I can describe what it does to gameplay is that it increases the skill gap, it makes shooting people at 50m far harder than it would be to shoot someone at 400m on a twitch shooter.

This of course is a thing that can be overcome with practice.

The other potentially huge bonus of such a forced system would be that it can help seperate the weapons and make them each feel extremely different without resorting to unrealistic attributes like dispersion or strange weapon damage values even in weapons of the same caliber.

With the free aim system they can make a long heavy unweildly weapon like a mosin hard to aim and maneuver in close quarters yet feel more stable for long range encounters while giving a pistol desireable attributes for short range combat but not long range shooting.

There is just so much more customization the devs could do to the gun mechanics and handling if they choose to go with a forced free aim mechanic.

• Like 1

It is not about what advantages it provides to the player or if it is realistic the advantage of forced free aim is what it does to gameplay.

Spend some time playing Red orchestra 2 and you will instantly appreciate it.

The best way I can describe what it does to gameplay is that it increases the skill gap, it makes shooting people at 50m far harder than it would be to shoot someone at 400m on a twitch shooter.

This of course is a thing that can be overcome with practice.

The other potentially huge bonus of such a forced system would be that it can help seperate the weapons and make them each feel extremely different without resorting to unrealistic attributes like dispersion or strange weapon damage values even in weapons of the same caliber.

With the free aim system they can make a long heavy unweildly weapon like a mosin hard to aim and maneuver in close quarters yet feel more stable for long range encounters while giving a pistol desireable attributes for short range combat but not long range shooting.

There is just so much more customization the devs could do to the gun mechanics and handling if they choose to go with a forced free aim mechanic.

I play/ed both RO and RO2 and I have never even noticed the free aim. =P I'm still not hearing any true explanation of what it is. In the video all I am seeing is the ability for the weapon to aim off center, which to me is like looking at 0 degrees while point your weapon at 32 degrees. With all this talk about RO2 I've been tempted to load it up again, it's been a while. I probably should now, and try to figure out what this system is all about.

Stacking run speed debuffs from poison laced melee weapons and arrows/bolts.

Some sort of applied debuff that would last only a short while (5-8 minutes max?).   The purpose being an advanced method of capturing/taking down someone that doesn't require traditional firearms.  Something to level the playing field versus the generally overpoweredness of bullets.

That said, please add some sort of bonus to neutralizing an opponent with something other than shooting them.

I play/ed both RO and RO2 and I have never even noticed the free aim. =P I'm still not hearing any true explanation of what it is. In the video all I am seeing is the ability for the weapon to aim off center, which to me is like looking at 0 degrees while point your weapon at 32 degrees. With all this talk about RO2 I've been tempted to load it up again, it's been a while. I probably should now, and try to figure out what this system is all about.

Free aim is kinda hard to describe it but here read this.

Here, the cross-hair moves inside an invisible rectangle. When it comes to the edges of the rectangle, it stops moving, and the point of view starts to rotate. There might not be a cross-hair, as in Resistance and Liberation, but the behaviour is still the same, the cross-hair is just invisible.

If there is a cross-hair, it's still quite unrealistic. Furthermore, there's a feeling of losing control as the mouse alternatively fulfils two distinct roles:
  1. The rifle's aim when the cross-hair is in the middle of the invisible rectangle.
  2. The rotation of the point of view when the cross-hair is at the edges of the rectangles.
This system is interesting when you want not to be too dependent on the camera. However, it will take more time to align your aim on a target that is outside of the rectangle. You'll need to rotate the point of view, stop, and adjust your weapon. Note that you can also lower your weapon without moving the camera, allowing to observe your surroundings. This method is best suited for the "contact position" will be talking about later in this article.

(Mougli's note: This is the most common type of aiming on Wii FPS.)

Offset rectangle/Dead zone type free aim (Half-Life mod: Move-In)

0059f6.jpg

This reuses the idea of the dead zone rectangle, adding a gradient inside that rectangle. When you move the cross-hair, it moves freely, but the point of view moves as well, with a small offset. The closer you get to the rectangle's edges, the faster the point of view will adjust.

This system has the same disadvantages of the rectangle free aim, with one more: the player can't really control the point of view. He will then suffer constant camera movement, which is a bit hard on the eyes. Interesting idea, but not very appropriate.

Type 2 free aim (Red Orchestra 1 and 2)

0059f8.jpg

This is an hybrid system which takes the concept of the fixed camera (inside the rectangle) and links it to the actual weapon model, rather than the cross-hair. Weapon movement is a bit faster than camera movement. Here again, we'll find an invisible rectangle. However, it won't affect aiming, but the weapon's model, in order to keep it in the player's field of view.

Type 2 free aim fixes some of type 1's issues by modifying a few parameters. The camera reacts like in a simple fixed aim, avoiding the feeling of wavering. The weapon's 3D model is linked to the mouse movement, but faster and offset. The player then controls the camera directly, and the gun approximately. Type 2 free aim  usually doesn't have a cross-hair. Aiming then becomes an estimation of the gun's direction. Unlike the fixed simple aim, it's much more difficult to guess trajectories (though possible, cf these videos).
The main issues are the loss of reference points (we don't always know where we're aiming) and we sometimes must move the mouse just to put the weapon back into position.

This system is quite close to real life, and is complementary with fixed simple aim. It is suitable for realistic games where tactics and position are as important as marksmanship. The other advantage of this system is that it has a better feeling of control during close range encounters.

It just feels so good.

005a06.jpg
Edited by gibonez

OK, I got it now. I would actually prefer how it's been done in previous ARMA games and what DayZ actually does now and that is to have where your gun is pointed lag behind where you are looking. Changing what your eyes are focused on, what you're eyes are looking at is instant. The weapon then follows and gets lined up with your focal point. It used to be represented within the crosshair, when they had the the upside down/mirrored Ls as your eyes and the dot as the barrel of your weapon.

But, as I said before, I hadn't even noticed this was taking place before in RO1/2 so they must have done it well. =)

So I guess either system works for me as long as it's don't well.

*Stuph*

I'd rather see it like this: redorchestra2_03.jpg

I don't know about you, but "seeing" the square hit-box in free-aim kills the immersion for me.

I'd rather see it like this: redorchestra2_03.jpg

I don't know about you, but "seeing" the square hit-box in free-aim kills the immersion for me.

I think the circle method was used before in Red orchestra 1 and the problem encountered was that when you needed to look at a different direction it was not as responsive thus the rectangle method was used.

The rectangle kinda makes sense too pretend to hold a rifle without moving your hips, aim the furthest to the right and left that you can without moving your hips then aim the furthest up and down that you can, you should be able to aim much higher and lower than you would side to side.

OK, I got it now. I would actually prefer how it's been done in previous ARMA games and what DayZ actually does now and that is to have where your gun is pointed lag behind where you are looking. Changing what your eyes are focused on, what you're eyes are looking at is instant. The weapon then follows and gets lined up with your focal point. It used to be represented within the crosshair, when they had the the upside down/mirrored Ls as your eyes and the dot as the barrel of your weapon.

But, as I said before, I hadn't even noticed this was taking place before in RO1/2 so they must have done it well. =)

So I guess either system works for me as long as it's don't well.

I don't.

The way Dayz does it now feels very unnatural. I'd much rather have it like RO2 or Insurgency where you have aiming deadzone/freelook so that when you move your mouse the gun moves and your view "lags" a bit behind and catches up.

But this thread.. oh my this thread. Throw away the whole suggestion section(kidding of course) and just have this please my god would many of these things improve the game x1000