gibonez

What are good game mechanics/ features from other games that work in dayz ?

If they ever do add stamina and weight and I hope they do.

Something like this awesome lightweight mod would do a great job of giving the player feedback on how tired they are.

After playing some ARMA III Breaking Point mod, it has several pretty complex systems that I WISH were in DayZ.

1) The group system with the hud indicator. Chat channels I could go either way for groups, I know some feel strongly about broadcast/general channels. But the friend/foe identifier for fixed groups is awesome. Also, the way that you can quick group, and when you die ... BAM ...you leave group..... really makes for a more meaningful ad-hoc group experience. Friendly fire still on!

2) the class/faction system and progression. Encourages proper target identification and rewards faction play, but still allows you to be a d-bag traitor if that's your wish. Also encourages you to try different playstyles and build up yourself in various factions. Still rogue - ish, but allows you to carry SOMETHING forward beyond death.

3) Multiple maps. Enough said!

• Like 1

Acre in Dayz.

We all know people will be using 3rd party chat problems anyway so why not incorporate them in a realistic way ?

Spawn everyone with a radio force acre for everyone joining a server and then have players give each other radio freq to talk to each other.

Why this is better than the usual method of side chat + 3rd party voip ?

This is better because of the gameplay potential it allows.

• You can eavesdrop on other players by finding their channel and being within their broadcast range.
  • You can set up radio stations with this provided you find a strong enough radio and once barricading is in you could potentially set up a radio tower.
  • Far higher quality voice in game with acre along with fantastic directional audio.
  • Squads of players could no longer be communicating tactics while completely being silent in game. Acre simulates real life radio use so if you speak into a radio to talk to a person a mile away you will be heard nearby.
  • Like 1

After playing some ARMA III Breaking Point mod, it has several pretty complex systems that I WISH were in DayZ.

1) The group system with the hud indicator. Chat channels I could go either way for groups, I know some feel strongly about broadcast/general channels. But the friend/foe identifier for fixed groups is awesome. Also, the way that you can quick group, and when you die ... BAM ...you leave group..... really makes for a more meaningful ad-hoc group experience. Friendly fire still on!

2) the class/faction system and progression. Encourages proper target identification and rewards faction play, but still allows you to be a d-bag traitor if that's your wish. Also encourages you to try different playstyles and build up yourself in various factions. Still rogue - ish, but allows you to carry SOMETHING forward beyond death.

3) Multiple maps. Enough said!

In a live stream about half a yearr ago Rocket said these type of things will probably not make it into vanilla SA but someone will definitely create a mod for this.

ACRE jibber jabber

I love ACRE, I mean I really love acre. Those radio squelches and distorted voice coms over distances in Arma when I'd be playing 120+ man PVP matches were amazing.

I don't think ACRE would fit in DayZ, as the only people who would use it would already be playing using TS or Vent or even Skype.

The freeaim would be nice, but most of my combat in DayZ hasn't involved CQC much at all to have made a difference. It'd just be more of a visual thing.

EDIT: But I would love to channel surf and have random conversations with people though. 148 radios would be interesting for that.

Edited by Heav

I love ACRE, I mean I really love acre. Those radio squelches and distorted voice coms over distances in Arma when I'd be playing 120+ man PVP matches were amazing.

I don't think ACRE would fit in DayZ, as the only people who would use it would already be playing using TS or Vent or even Skype.

The freeaim would be nice, but most of my combat in DayZ hasn't involved CQC much at all to have made a difference. It'd just be more of a visual thing.

EDIT: But I would love to channel surf and have random conversations with people though. 148 radios would be interesting for that.

It could be a mandatory thing for some servers.

It would kick you out if you do not activate it and connect to the right teamspeak server.

Could work like a premium feature.

It could be a mandatory thing for some servers.

It would kick you out if you do not activate it and connect to the right teamspeak server.

Could work like a premium feature.

Would be interesting to find the right way to make that work.

Have you ever joined a 100+man teamspeak channel when your ACRE is not enabled and everyone is playing? It's like... well, you have a hundred voices in your head and they're all speaking at once.

Would be interesting to find the right way to make that work.

Have you ever joined a 100+man teamspeak channel when your ACRE is not enabled and everyone is playing? It's like... well, you have a hundred voices in your head and they're all speaking at once.

Yea it is quite painful.

If they add helicopters and this is only if. I personally would hope to not see any air vehicles but thats besides the point.

If they have to add helicopters I would hope they at the very least adopt the awesome new hard mode flying mechanics from Arma 3s dev branch. They are awesome and great and actually require people to practice to get proficient at flying.

It is nice to see BI adding depth and complexity to alot of the gameplay elements , Stamina first, weapon dexterity, new sway, new helicopter controls and flight dynamics, and hopefully with the marksmen dlc realistic sniping and shooting mechanics.

Its been well over a year since i last played Dayz mod. But looks like its got some amazing features now, blood trails, disease, etc. So Instead of looking outside the community, why not just copy-paste the features that already exist in function and theory which would work amazingly in standalone. 

Then when we've exhausted all the options, perhaps start looking further afield.

I play/ed both RO and RO2 and I have never even noticed the free aim. =P I'm still not hearing any true explanation of what it is. In the video all I am seeing is the ability for the weapon to aim off center, which to me is like looking at 0 degrees while point your weapon at 32 degrees. With all this talk about RO2 I've been tempted to load it up again, it's been a while. I probably should now, and try to figure out what this system is all about.

There was no free aim in RO1. It is kind of hard to explain what it does, when I first read about it being in RO2 I had no idea what it was either, even though I was playing the game at the time.

But I think gibonez hit the nail on the head with his description of how it very nicely creates an impression of how guns are different and handles differently, especially at close quarters and in situations where speed is required. Combine it with the actual gun physics (which means you can only aim at places where there is actually room to lower the gun), and you have a very nice system that makes a realistic "feel" to gun handling ingame. Since getting used to RO2, I just haven't been able to get that feeling in games that doesn't have these two features.

There was no free aim in RO1. It is kind of hard to explain what it does, when I first read about it being in RO2 I had no idea what it was either, even though I was playing the game at the time.

But I think gibonez hit the nail on the head with his description of how it very nicely creates an impression of how guns are different and handles differently, especially at close quarters and in situations where speed is required. Combine it with the actual gun physics (which means you can only aim at places where there is actually room to lower the gun), and you have a very nice system that makes a realistic "feel" to gun handling ingame. Since getting used to RO2, I just haven't been able to get that feeling in games that doesn't have these two features.

The other big bonus of a free aim system is how it affects behavior. Because of free aim in RO2 you almost never encounter unrealistic shooting scenarios where a player fires from the hip while strafing side to side as fast he could.

The free aim subconsciously makes you fire from static positions with very little unintended movement in order to maximize your accuracy.

The shooting just feels perfect with forced free aim in RO2. .

RegularFocusedHorse.gif

Counter strike

Yes even a twitch shooter like counter strike go has some features or visual aides that would fit right in with dayz.

#1. Firearm smoke

In standalone firing your weapon produces huge plums of unrealistic smoke that not only hurts the shooter in performing follow up shots but also looks quite bad visually.

Counter Strike go handles firearm smoke in visually appealing manner that not only looks amazing but is also subtle and does not hurt the shooting player for quick follow up shots.

ColorlessUnknownHoneybadger.gif

The nice stream of smoke emanating from the barrel looks great.

#2. Bullet penetration player visual feedback

While Dayz also features bullet penetration it currently provides zero feed back to the player as to what direction the rounds are penetrating in a building thus the player cannot adjust his position to thwart the threat or minimize the damage received.

Counter Strike go handles this in a very subtle manner and provides the player with very quick visual feed back that instantly tells the player what direction the rounds are penetrating and they can then make a judgment on how to move within the structure or behind the wall to best avoid the next volley of incoming rounds.

JadedDenseAplomadofalcon.gif

as you can see the incoming rounds in CS go produce small decals on the interior of the building and a faint trail of smoke that could be explained as the bullets force pulling drywall powder or dust with it.

The effect is very subtle and instantly provides the player visual feedback It is quite nice.

State of Decay and Project Zomboid..So much stuff in that two games that could make DayZ brilliant.

• Like 1

Take a hiatus from the forums and then come back to find that gibonez is still prattling on about Red Orchestra 2..

>.> But upon further inspection, maybe that prattling is with good reasoning. There are some features there that I would cherry pick myself!

Edited by Rudette

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare tracer system for the melee, plus parrying/blocking would be perfect por dayz imo. The firefights are pretty realistic and usually the player with the highest skill will do better, we need something like this in the melee mechanics of this game. Right now its totally luck based, you spam and hope for the best lol.

Edited by Avant-Garde

Assassin's Creed gives your character the ability to dive from great heights and land in a pile of hay.  Would be great for snipers looking for a quick way off the tops of those really tall buildings.

lulz

Assassin's Creed gives your character the ability to dive from great heights and land in a pile of hay.  Would be great for snipers looking for a quick way off the tops of those really tall buildings.

lulz

lulz

lulz

Dunno if legit or troll. If legit, the leap of faith from any AC game is highly unlikely considering you'd probably break something

Spears:  One of the first purpose-made weapons invented by man,the easiest to make in a survival/apocalyptic situation, and the easiest to use. Lets you keep the enemy at a safe distance still within killing reach (melee), as well as being fast to thrust and recover. With some skill, can be thrown with enough force to easily kill a deer-sized target, people included (range and accuracy not included! Practice needed!) Probably the only downside to a spear is how it effectively becomes useless once the enemy gets inside your reach. 

Tracking and stalking: In The Long Dark, once you shoot a wolf/deer/bear, it won't die right away. Instead it will bleed out over time, which is usually more than enough for a deer to run away, or a wolf/bear to get pissed off and charge in to wreck your face. You have to spot and follow the blood trail (not easy during a blizzard!), until you find the expired animal. I also want to see animals become MUCH HARDER to hunt (prefer to remain in woodlands/along the edges of forests, run away from players from MUCH farther away), and for there to be some form of tracking implemented. Finally, animals should offer MUCH more in the form of resources: lots more meat, hides, bones, tendons, intestines, all with varied and important survival-related uses (bones for "primitive" sewing kit, spear/arrow points, guts as water containers, bone marrow as food, hides and furs for clothing, tendons as rope, etc. 

Foraging: plants should be useful for food, for medicine, or for other survival-related purposes (firestarting, food-preservation, shelterbuilding, insulation, etc). Deciduous Temperate Forests (which Chernarus is located in) hold a lot of food/useful materials in the form of plants, and that should feasibly be available to the enterprising survivor, with a little work and some know-how. Maybe "field guides" in the form of books could identify plants and their uses?

Food preservation: Right now, food doesn't deteriorate. You can carry raw meat on you for days, with no effect. My idea: all food rots over time, barring preservation of some form or another. If not eaten within a few real-world days, it becomes inedible. Canned food does not rot unless opened, making it an effective "OH SHIT" fallback option, but of course, it will be rare.  Smoking meat, drying vegetables, salting fish, all should be available to preserve the bounty.