SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.47 Discussion

This.I'm not going to say that it doesn't bug me, but then it's not so annoying I'm raging at it. I'm just a little disappointed that server hopping is still a very easy option for looting up. Me? I honestly couldn't be bothered, I quite like slowly building up my gear on the same server, but it would be nice to see if the devs could work out a way of reducing this sort of thing.

Who said it was a server hopper ? Once I am energized and hydrated and geared to a certain extent I only hit the police stations fire stations and millitary buildings. It is quicker to get in and out of a town/base then waiting around.

Hec I have enough gear that I can even skip prisons, ATC, and the hangers cause the stuff I normally after spawns most often in tents and barracks the other structures pose too great a risk for the reward.

Not saying it was not hoppers but dont be so "hopper paranoid" it could be someone with decent gear playing cautious. Although they should have closed the doors behind them :)

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

tried exp again today, and noticed the rubber-banding issue is back with a vengeance, had to go back to stable.

tried exp again today, and noticed the rubber-banding issue is back with a vengeance, had to go back to stable.

In playing roughly 8 hours in the last two days, I can say I only rubber-banded one time.

And fuck me you'd think more of these houses would have a frying pan lying around. Though I love the lack of loot in general, it's really hard to play "survival mode" when the survival items (matches, frying pan, etc.) are harder to find than actual food haha.

Edited by solodude23

The long server restart times are indeed a good thing, shows that there is some stability going on now.

As for the lack of finding items, I have had really no issues in staying alive and finding sustenance. So many buildings I go into people obviously haven't checked thoroughly because I find a lot of things to eat/drink that others obviously don' find important. Seems that a lot of people just blaze through buildings looking for weapons and leave most everything else that can help them survive behind.

Hicks in his current stream has stated that survival items do need to be increased a tad but restarts are as intended. He even stated that he is going to recommend that servers restart every 12 hrs, whether that happens or not is another story.

People are really going to have to realize that DayZ is going to be a real survival game not just stating that it is, when it's not. They are staying true to what they've stated all along and this is a good thing!

I tried out experimental last night. 2 servers were night servers and the 3rd was day. Each time I switched server, I was reset to a respawn, but I was respawned in a completely random location on the map.

After an hour of searching, I only managed to find a couple of items. I ran into one person and they seemed to be in the same boat. No backpacks, no food, bare minimum of items (usually stray composite arrows).

There was also a petrol station that kept blowing up every few minutes for no apparent reason...Performance in towns was 15-17 fps consistently on a i5 and a GTX760.

For whatever reason, the Arma 2/DayZ engine makes the fans on my PC go faster than any other game too.

In playing roughly 8 hours in the last two days, I can say I only rubber-banded one time.

And fuck me you'd think more of these houses would have a frying pan lying around. Though I love the lack of loot in general, it's really hard to play "survival mode" when the survival items (matches, frying pan, etc.) are harder to find than actual food haha.

Lucky you, it seemed like it happened to me three times within 5 minutes, and that's not even coming out of a building either. I don't notice it at all on stable.

For whatever reason, the Arma 2/DayZ engine makes the fans on my PC go faster than any other game too.

When your hardware has to work harder to render a frame out, it generates more heat. To counter-act the extra heat, the fans throttle up automatically.

The long server restart times are indeed a good thing, shows that there is some stability going on now.

As for the lack of finding items, I have had really no issues in staying alive and finding sustenance. So many buildings I go into people obviously haven't checked thoroughly because I find a lot of things to eat/drink that others obviously don' find important. Seems that a lot of people just blaze through buildings looking for weapons and leave most everything else that can help them survive behind.

Hicks in his current stream has stated that survival items do need to be increased a tad but restarts are as intended. He even stated that he is going to recommend that servers restart every 12 hrs, whether that happens or not is another story.

People are really going to have to realize that DayZ is going to be a real survival game not just stating that it is, when it's not. They are staying true to what they've stated all along and this is a good thing!

My problem is not that servers dont restart (on stable this is fine), my problem is they dont restart on experimental. I came on to test out the AK 101 and to make an update video on it. However after 8 hours of searching i have not found a single mag for it. This is because all places where they spawn have been stripped clean. Iv done so much walking up and down the map and been on so many servers its just stupid.

Thought we were supposed to be testing new items, how can we do that if their arnt any? The game is forcing me to pvp to get what i need.

The servers seem to run good, BUT... I have had the melee bug again... after a certain moment, I suddenly wasn't able to punch nor hit with the pickaxe or machete....

Edited by osallivan

-snip-

I believe a lot of the newer players are going to have a hard time if and when everything falls into place but remember peeps,,,WIP as always.

I finally found an SKS, I have 35 rounds for it.  I dumped my Sporter but kept 2x 30 round mags since I have about 150 .22 rounds and a peashooter with one mag for that.  Besides, Sporters are all over the place so if I run out of 7.62x39 should be safe.  I found a ruined ammo can that I grabbed and put my ammo in, then I found a worn ammo can the next day and transferred to that.  I found a 1911, but I have no .45 at all or any mags for that, it is in storage, taking up space in my back pack.  If I don't find any mags for it soon I'll just chuck it into a pond or something.

I know they are going to bring back the Super Surplus Store and that's ok too but I am having a good time both in game and seeing all the sackcloth wearing and wailing and gnashing of teeth about "ruined" weekends here in the forums.  Too funny..

Edited by Barnabus

Lucky you, it seemed like it happened to me three times within 5 minutes, and that's not even coming out of a building either. I don't notice it at all on stable.

You do know that you can put meat into the fire with out a frying pan right?  Make sure you keep an eye on it though since it goes from cooked to burned in a blink.

So much for my comment regarding desync yesterday.  Played earlier today and it was terrible, major teleporting/rubberbanding not only as players came and went but sometimes when Zeds were attacking.  I'd spot them a 100+ yards out, they'd start towards me then run right past me then reset back to where they started and repeat half a dozen times.  Then they would then pop out of nowhere and smack the hell out of me.  I finally left the game.  8 players on the server at the time, it was raining, but seemed tp coinside (sp?) to the players taking a long time to login on the player's menu.  I'm starting to think that this and the LMB & Melee issue are all related based on what I've experienced. 

Another oddity, I went to throw a 1911 into the weeds and it just hung in mid-air.  I could then grab it out of mid-air and put it back in my backpack.  Oh but I did finally find another fishing lure...yeah.  Also spent some time with a CR75 head shotting Zeds. Shooting them anywhere else might get you killed...heh.  You could see the blood splatters, but didn't seem to have much stopping power, ususally 2-3 shots was needed to put them down then only to have his/her buddies come at you again.  Fun stuff!

Edited by Super_Duty

So much for my comment regarding desync yesterday.  Played earlier today and it was terrible, major teleporting/rubberbanding not only as players came and went but sometimes when Zeds were attacking.  I'd spot them a 100+ yards out, they'd start towards me then run right past me then reset back to where they started and repeat half a dozen times.  Then they would then pop out of nowhere and smack the hell out of me.  I finally left the game.  8 players on the server at the time, it was raining, but seemed tp coinside (sp?) to the players taking a long time to login on the player's menu.  I'm starting to think that this and the LMB & Melee issue are all related based on what I've experienced. 

Another oddity, I went to throw a 1911 into the weeds and it just hung in mid-air.  I could then grab it out of mid-air and put it back in my backpack.  Oh but I did finally find another fishing lure...yeah.  Also spent some time with a CR75 head shotting Zeds. Shooting them anywhere else might get you killed...heh.  You could see the blood splatters, but didn't seem to have much stopping power, ususally 2-3 shots was needed to put them down then only to have his/her buddies come at you again.  Fun stuff!

I uninstalled and reinstalled DayZ, seemed to do the trick for me as far as the LMB goes.  I rubberbanded only twice today and that was someone logging in that did it.

Edited by Barnabus

Don't know if this is a new thing or not but everything I throw seems to disappear.

I noticed cos I threw a mosin off the roof of one of those little kiosk things with the ladder at the back and, lo & behold, said mosin was no longer there! Then tried throwing a can from the roof & another from the ground with the same results. Anyone else encounter this?

Can confirm this, I like to throw Chem lights and flares whenever i find them, i noticed as soon as they Hit the ground, they Sink in and Vanish.

Also, rubber banding was very bad last night, I actually thought my game was becoming unstable from playing so long because all the problems showed up at once, Constant mini freezes, Rubber banding. And another thing, if were gona have EXp servers with a 24 hour reset, you really need to Up the Login Timer, because I did manage to find a server that reset this morning, and server hoppers had already done their damage. Would go into town after town after town and see that nothing was touched, cept  police stations and military buildings.

Edited by Myth1184

I do know that if my character had been killed any time up to about noon on Saturday, it would have been a coin toss as to whether I bothered respawning.  After that point, I would not have done it - just absolutely not worth it.  As a partly-geared player (I got lucky and was playing on Friday after the last re-set) it was worth playing just to see how bad it was.  If this was the permanent situation, I would not have bothered.

And if I had been a fresh spawn, I would have waited until they fixed this situation.  Seriously not worth it.

Those people who are saying "yeah, this ain't too bad" I challenge you, right now, jump off of something and kill your character, start over again.  Let us know how that goes for you.

Z

I do know that if my character had been killed any time up to about noon on Saturday, it would have been a coin toss as to whether I bothered respawning.  After that point, I would not have done it - just absolutely not worth it.  As a partly-geared player (I got lucky and was playing on Friday after the last re-set) it was worth playing just to see how bad it was.  If this was the permanent situation, I would not have bothered.

And if I had been a fresh spawn, I would have waited until they fixed this situation.  Seriously not worth it.

Those people who are saying "yeah, this ain't too bad" I challenge you, right now, jump off of something and kill your character, start over again.  Let us know how that goes for you.

Z

I think most of us started over due to the character wipe on Exp. The problem is more people are used to having things pretty much handed to them.

If you look hard enough you WILL find what you need to survive.

I think most of us started over due to the character wipe on Exp. The problem is more people are used to having things pretty much handed to them.

If you look hard enough you WILL find what you need to survive.

Exactly, my character was wiped and so far within an hour of playing I have found a mosin in a piano house which had already been looted, a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo, green taloon backpack, green hoody, fire axe, pso scope, and a ton of food. Sure a lot of the map has been looted but if you look hard enough you'll find plenty left over.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was wiped too.  That was on Friday; I got to play before the restart problem became widespread - so I have some gear now too.

If I had to start now, I would wait until they fixed whatever glitch has infected the system.

Will you kill your character and try to do it again, now that the servers have been running for two days?

Z

• Like 1

95% of players on experimental are just looking for those new items they saw on Reddit. 

• Like 1

Z

You may recall that I said it might be time to become attached to your gear.  So no, I am not gonna jump off a building and start over again.  Why the hell would I be foolish enough to do that? 

Not tthat I owe you an explanation but I had a great character going on Friday afternoon, but thanks to the LMB bug I got schwacked and had to start all over on Saturday morning.  The locusts had already decended on the server by then, 10-12 guys all with the same clan tag.  They stayed for about an 30 minutes and left to rape another server.  So I had fun avoiding others and gearing up , so sue me.

Edited by Barnabus

Okay.  So it would not be fun - at all - to be a fresh spawn right now.  We have all died from time to time, we will die - or get wiped - again.

Should we consider this to be our last life then, at least in Exp?  Uninstalling the game and never playing again is a pretty darn harsh interpretation of permadeath.

Z

Okay. So it would not be fun - at all - to be a fresh spawn right now. We have all died from time to time, we will die - or get wiped - again.

Should we consider this to be our last life then, at least in Exp? Uninstalling the game and never playing again is a pretty darn harsh interpretation of permadeath.

Z

Experimental is not for strong user experiences Man , is recommend you stay away from it if you don't like it , things change all the time in exp

• Like 2

Played for a bit today and two different servers. Have to say that I'm not really a huge fan of the long restarts. I think it's driving the population to whichever server restarts, they clean it out, and then move on. The first (half populated) was mostly picked clean. Ran all the way from Polona to Kamenka and each town on the way had been looted. There were enough scraps to stay alive though and I didn't have a decent weapon until I got to Komarovo and found a b95. The second server (near full pop) was mostly un-looted and I got to loot the entire Balota Airstrip without being bothered at all. Once I finished I happened to see a sniper on the apartments and got in an awesome sniper fight as the sun was going down. Which I won. Hopefully they don't wipe the hive before I get to play again like usual.

TL;DR: Not a fan of the long restarts, but the game can still be played just fine imo.

• Like 1

Okay.  So it would not be fun - at all - to be a fresh spawn right now.  We have all died from time to time, we will die - or get wiped - again.

Should we consider this to be our last life then, at least in Exp?  Uninstalling the game and never playing again is a pretty darn harsh interpretation of permadeath.

Z

Who said anything like that?  Stop with all this wailing and gnashing of teeth and don't worry, all the geardos are gonna get the NWAF Super Military Surplus Store back eventually.  And, hypocrite that I am I'll be right there with you all.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1