Sign in to follow this  
sketch814

Shouldn't zombies also bleed to death eventually?

So when you get hit by a zombie, you often start to bleed which is realistic. But when you picture a zombie, you picture a rotting human that literally has it's own flesh falling off as it walks. Zombies kill humans to drink their blood and eat flesh probably because the zombie's flesh is rotting/tearing off and it needs more of it. Shouldn't zombies also be the one's who bleed to death, and not just the humans? I would imagine if a zombie hit you so hard that you started to bleed, it has to do damage to the zombie too.

• Like 1

No, their heart aren't isn't pumping blood anyway, so blood doesn't even matter to them.

Edit: That grammar tho.

Edited by aimbot.eXe
  • Like 1

That's a good observation, I've never thought of that.  I would make a thread in the suggestions topic so your idea can get a little more visibility in the proper area.

No! Zombies do not rely on blood to transport oxygen nor do they breathe. Apparently their bodies operate on some sort of anaerobic mechanism. Ask Dr. Logan AKA Frankenstein

Day-logan.jpg

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Dean describes them as infected.. and if they are, and you add their talks of plans to have blood trails and foot prints down the line if possible then it only makes sense that a Zed would eventually bleed out.

Would be really cool to walk into a town where a sniper had previously cleared it by taking 1 shot at each zed and just watching them aggro around and bleed to death from 800m away.. There would be blood and footprints everywhere.. it would be a horrendous sight. :D

• Like 5

No! Zombies do not rely on blood to transport oxygen nor do they breathe. Apparently their bodies operate on some sort of anaerobic mechanism. Ask Dr. Logan AKA Frankenstine

Still, if a zombie hit you so hard you started to bleed, it has to slow down the zombie or tear off part of its arm.

Still, if a zombie hit you so hard you started to bleed, it has to slow down the zombie or tear off part of its arm.

Incorrect. First. It doesn't take much of a strike to cause bleeding, and a zombie trying to claw, bite and whack you is not going to take more serious damage than you from attacking you.

What should be true is that breaking a zombies legs via shooting or chopping should reduce the zombies movement rate to a crawl. Yes zombies do need their legs to move around on.  

I think that the zombies we have in DayZ aren't undead, rather they are "infected" and as such on paper they should suffer the same dangers of bleeding out as anybody else in this game.

That said it could be a big hog of server resources? Especially when you consider a tenfold increase in Zed population so while (assuming I've not made a mistake!) it may be desirable it many not be feasible.

Yes they should people need to remember these are not zombies but humans who have a virus.

Thus they should die from bleeding out too.

• Like 2

Here is what may be: The infection that all our Zeds have is an instant blood-clotting type disease, so that if they get injured, it clots right away, which prevents them from bleeding out. It has other symptoms too, but this one actually keeps them alive more.

Here is what may be: The infection that all our Zeds have is an instant blood-clotting type disease, so that if they get injured, it clots right away, which prevents them from bleeding out. It has other symptoms too, but this one actually keeps them alive more.

You cant have something move without blood pumping. Clotting blood zombies would  = paralyzed zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWutdPGYcEg

• Like 3

You cant have something move without blood pumping. Clotting blood zombies would  = paralyzed zombies.

Not necessarily true. Many critters operate on an anaerobic metabolic system where there is no blood flow and no circulatory system 

The things that really support your position are that shots to the thorax (lungs heart etc) are lethal to zombies AND they have endurance that is nearly equal to humans. But there is nothing to say that the virus itself couldn't amplify in areas where wounds have been created and form a sort of biological bandage. But yes if they do have respiration and blood flow then once a critical amount of damage has been delivered they should bleed out. For my money its better not to investigate the zombification mechanism too closely lest you enter a circular argument that leads nowhere. 

8332569.jpg

Edited by Xbow

I think that the zombies we have in DayZ aren't undead, rather they are "infected" and as such on paper they should suffer the same dangers of bleeding out as anybody else in this game.

By that logic the zombies should have a hunger/thirst bar and die from that.

• Like 1

Shouldn't zombies also be the one's who bleed to death

you can kill what has no life !

Well yes, as I said, on paper with what I said being they case they should.

Whether it's feasible for the game to support that when there are hundreds on a server is another matter but in principle assuming they are alive I think it would be desirable for them to need to stay fed and watered.

Imagine going to drink or hunt deer at a watering hole only to find a few zombies there drinking!

:D

Well maybe not "bleeding out" but breaking Z´ds Legs should be possible. Than leave them to crawl...ha.

Your Logic is impeccable CloaknDagger.....have some Beans

The fact that they have been infected by some strange virus is fine and dandy but has NOTHING to do with their 'Metabolic Operating System. Evidence suggests that once the infection runs its course they cease to be warm blooded critters and begin a new life as something other than human. Obviously If they can bleed out, they have blood pressure, and a required minimum fluid balance. And by inference they need to hydrate and eat whatever they can to maintain their metabolism body mass, and fluid level.  

But they apparently don't have a need for constant intake of protein, fats and carbohydrates and water. If they did you should see them chasing cows, deer, hogs, rabbits as well as people, hanging out near natural water sources and jamming fruit and berries down their gullets. Clearly In a world where humans are vastly outnumbered by Zeds there wouldn't be enough human game around to maintain their population if they were warm blooded.

Incidentally a cold blooded animal can get by on a very small intake of food compared to a warm blooded one. So if they are infected and warm blooded like the freaks in 28 days later why aren't they starving to death?

•  
Edited by Xbow

Hello there

Many eons ago there was talk of having a zed "life cycle" so these factors may be included.

I think that on the whole anything that affects the survivor needs to affect the zeds to a greater or lesser degree.

But to keep completely and singly mindedly ontopic, yup IMHO zeds need to bleed out.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Hello there

Many eons ago there was talk of having a zed "life cycle" so these factors may be included.

I think that on the whole anything that affects the survivor needs to affect the zeds to a greater or lesser degree.

But to keep completely and singly mindedly ontopic, yup IMHO zeds need to bleed out.

Rgds

Obviously weather their hearts are pumping or not the skeletal muscles by virtue of their contractions and relaxations via movement provide pumping action for blood so in that sense I agree that  once they have taken significant damage they should lose the ability to maintain blood pressure and replenish their tissues with oxygen and nutrients. For them it would be like being exposed to a blood agent like Phosgene (choking agent). But along with bleeding out the zeds are as dependent on their bones for locomotion as humans are so a Zed with broken legs should be nearly immobile and because they are as dumb as dirt they will through their inability to understand and treat their wounds exacerbate a simple fracture into a compound fracture and then bleed out.

I am glad that George Romero's absurd head shot only method of dispatching zombies has been done away with by Dean Hall. That would only work if Zeds were confined to a slow shuffle and that would be boring. 

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Your Logic is impeccable CloaknDagger.....have some Beans

The fact that they have been infected by some strange virus is fine and dandy but has NOTHING to do with their 'Metabolic Operating System. Evidence suggests that once the infection runs its course they cease to be warm blooded critters and begin a new life as something other than human. Obviously If they can bleed out, they have blood pressure, and a required minimum fluid balance. And by inference they need to hydrate and eat whatever they can to maintain their metabolism body mass, and fluid level.  

But they apparently don't have a need for constant intake of protein, fats and carbohydrates and water. If they did you should see them chasing cows, deer, hogs, rabbits as well as people, hanging out near natural water sources and jamming fruit and berries down their gullets. Clearly In a world where humans are vastly outnumbered by Zeds there wouldn't be enough human game around to maintain their population if they were warm blooded.

Incidentally a cold blooded animal can get by on a very small intake of food compared to a warm blooded one. So if they are infected and warm blooded like the freaks in 28 days later why aren't they starving to death?

•  

Well they have actually been seen hunting animals, and we know they hunt humans.

The question is, do they feed off of them when they kill the target?

The infected in 28 days/weeks later can obviously die of starvation, so im really hoping for this before mentioned "zed-life cycle".

Just imagine the fresh, newly infected Z's running around, faster then a human can and then as they're life progresses, they become slower.

Perhaps we will see them start crawling on all fours (like the monkey zeds) and eventually they can only crawl prone and be little to no threat.

Maybe they will even regain energy by killing players or animals and "reset" the life cycle? Very interesting :D

Man i would love that tbh.

• Like 2

Well they have actually been seen hunting animals, and we know they hunt humans.

The question is, do they feed off of them when they kill the target?

The infected in 28 days/weeks later can obviously die of starvation, so im really hoping for this before mentioned "zed-life cycle".

Just imagine the fresh, newly infected Z's running around, faster then a human can and then as they're life progresses, they become slower.

Perhaps we will see them start crawling on all fours (like the monkey zeds) and eventually they can only crawl prone and be little to no threat.

Maybe they will even regain energy by killing players or animals and "reset" the life cycle? Very interesting :D

Man i would love that tbh.

I like everything you said in that post hombre :thumbsup:  I especially like the part about them incrementally losing their capabilities as they progress and the part about them recovering their capabilities if they can feed on an animal or human. Yes human blood and flesh should be a powerful curative and stimulant to them..the first choice on the Zed dining menu. 

From a safe distance I would like to see a pack of  zeds beat an animal or human to death and feed off of it  and then suddenly start fighting each other for first rights to the corpse. :P 

• Like 1

I like everything you said in that post hombre :thumbsup:  I especially like the part about them incrementally losing their capabilities as they progress and the part about them recovering their capabilities if they can feed on an animal or human. Yes human blood and flesh should be a powerful curative and stimulant to them..the first choice on the Zed dining menu. 

From a safe distance I would like to see a pack of  zeds beat an animal or human to death and feed off of it  and then suddenly start fighting each other for first rights to the corpse. :P

I dont think it would be to hard to make 3 or 4 stages in the zeds life, with a simple timer counting down, which can be reset upon "feasting" :)

Ofc we would still have to have zombies spawning regularly as fresh ones, just to keep the tension going ingame, but they are already working on a better zombie respawn technic.

Perhaps stages like:

1. Freshly infected, faster then humans, very strong punch/scratch
  2. Limping abit more, abit slower then humans, but still strong punches
  3. Crawling on all fours, significantly slower then humans and not quite as strong anymore
  4. Crawling prone, cannot get up, very slow and very weak.

Combine that with the ability to alert other Z's aswell, so the weak crawlers is not a threat by then selves, but they will alert other Z's in the area of your pressence.

Opens up for alot more tactical approaches imho.

But yeh, just imagine running away from a slow Z, and then running past a flock of deer.

The Z suddently turns around and go after a deer, perhaps even killing it and then it start feasting.

For obvious reason you have stopped running now, as you want to investigate this behavior, but you are to close to be safe.

Perhaps the Z takes a few bites from the deer (tainting the flesh obviously aswell, requires thorough cooking) and then it spots you again. Now you have a serious problem, because the Z have become stronger and faster, gaining energy from the bite it just had, so all of a sudden its a whole new ballgame and you have no other choice but to engage it, as you cant outrun it anymore.

Perhaps there would be a higher chance of getting an infection from a "stage 1 Z" then a "stage 4 Z", because the stage 1 is alot stronger and alot faster.

Damn i would love something along thoose lines tbh :D

Combine it with the ability for Z to bleed out, breaking they're bones and roaming packs of Z's, this game could take the entire "zombie survival" to the next level.

Edited by Byrgesen