Sign in to follow this  
MLG420blazeit

The sun... so OTT, needs toning down.

This might seem like a weird topic, but the sun in game is crazy bright. I mean, the unrealistic godrays are pretty bad on their own, but combined with a sun that's brighter than the flash-lights in BF3 - if you can believe that - it becomes a pain to play.

This isn't a problem for the most part, but when you happen to have the sun shining in your face and you're in a firefight, this is very very frustrating. No it's not realistic, no the sun doesn't shine that bright - I can confirm, I've been outside.

Please, just tone it down a little bit, it was good in the mod. And give us the option to disable godrays.

Edited by MLG420blazeit
  • Like 4

People were complaning at the too bright Sun since like day1, there is tons of bug reports on the Sun.

Looks like devs needs more time to fix it or at least makes sunglasses work or something.

People were complaning at the too bright Sun since like day1, there is tons of bug reports on the Sun.

Looks like devs needs more time to fix it or at least makes sunglasses work or something.

I don't know how many thousands of lines of code you need to tone down the brightness... Must be an ungodly amount of work. Inb4 alpha droolers show up.

the sun is bright, so im happy to see that reflected in game when its a clear sunny day.

we do need working sunglasses, we do need working baseball cap, etc

• Like 2

the sun is bright, so im happy to see that reflected in game when its a clear sunny day.

we do need working sunglasses, we do need working baseball cap, etc

It's too bright. Especially if like me you play Hardcore servers.

Yeah, I also think it's a bit too bright and the rays should be toned down. I mean the sun is pretty damn bright here, but DayZ is supposed to be set in eastern Europe where it's fairly chilly most of the time.

I'm sure it will be addressed at some point.

Oh god. Go inside one of the hangars in airfields. When you go to the back, then turn to go out, YOU CANT SEE A GOD DAMN THING.

I dont find it to bright.

I live in Denmark (which is further north then Chernarus's fictional position) and during the summer/late summer time the sun here is sooo bright, its impossible to look at it, even with sunglasses on, so for me it seems alot more realistic then the mod ever was.

I find it very satisfying that i can use the ingame sun, like IRL, to my tactical advantage, when approaching certain areas or cities.

And as for the rays, nobody should get the option to disable it, it would give you nothing but a tactical advantage, over anyone who doesnt disable it.

Things like view distance, object distance, player rendering, sun rays and all other important visual factors, needs to be locked down to the same value for EVERYONE, or people will abuse it.

Perhaps they can tone it down abit, but no matter what it should blind you when looking at it, and it should force you to think twice about your approach, if you have the sun in your eyes.

Yeah, I also think it's a bit too bright and the rays should be toned down. I mean the sun is pretty damn bright here, but DayZ is supposed to be set in eastern Europe where it's fairly chilly most of the time.

I'm sure it will be addressed at some point.

Well, low temperature does not mean the sun light is weak tbh, it just means it looses its warmth, because it has to travel further, but the glare and UV factor does not get lowered.

Have you ever been to green land? Its cold, full of snow, but you can get a sunburn in a matter of hours, if you arent carefull :)

Oh god. Go inside one of the hangars in airfields. When you go to the back, then turn to go out, YOU CANT SEE A GOD DAMN THING.

This is happening every single day where i live, so i cant help but find it authentic and realistic.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 3

This is also why on hardcore I always plan my NWAF looting so the sun will be behind me.

Working 1st person glasses/masks/hats.

Working 1st person glasses/masks/hats.

It can work on 3pp too, if your character has glasses/hat sun stops to be bright.

All of the lighting in this game is broken. From flashlights to flares to the sun to campfires. I hope it will be fixed when they implement the new rendering engine.

yea im first person only.

today is quite a sunny day outside, irl. i live in wales uk, not a hot country . yet when the sun gets lower i wont be able to look in that direction clearly at all, without sunglasses. if im driving, i need to lower the sun guard on my front window just like everyone else does. if im facing other way, i can see fine.

in game its not always sunny, sometimes its really over cast, dark day too.

visibility is something that is important and useful, im happy to see it actually being in in game factor with day, night, bright, dark,

it is annoying when i am going a direction that is facing the sun, i am at a disadvantage, what i should do, is not go that direction, and adapt to the conditions. i would never want the visibility to be made easier so i can play with less disadvantage,

if sun brightness was toned down, a little, i wouldnt care much, but i dont have any issue with the way it is now, because i know that the sun is blinding irl anyway , depending on weather, and which way im looking.

edit, yeah i guess things will change a bit with new engine, theyre working on how lighting will work on the map anyway, i read

Edited by qww
  • Like 1

yea im first person only.

today is quite a sunny day outside, irl. i live in wales uk, not a hot country . yet when the sun gets lower i wont be able to look in that direction clearly at all, without sunglasses. if im driving, i need to lower the sun guard on my front window just like everyone else does. if im facing other way, i can see fine.

in game its not always sunny, sometimes its really over cast, dark day too.

visibility is something that is important and useful, im happy to see it actually being in in game factor with day, night, bright, dark,

it is annoying when i am going a direction that is facing the sun, i am at a disadvantage, what i should do, is not go that direction, and adapt to the conditions. i would never want the visibility to be made easier so i can play with less disadvantage,

if sun brightness was toned down, a little, i wouldnt care much, but i dont have any issue with the way it is now, because i know that the sun is blinding irl anyway , depending on weather, and which way im looking.

edit, yeah i guess things will change a bit with new engine, theyre working on how lighting will work on the map anyway, i read

Bro, I live in Northern Ireland. The sun's crazy bright, but nowhere near DayZ level.

I like that I have to keep in mind where the sun is, might I get ambushed. However, it's indeed unrealistically bright. I don't care if it stays or goes

... but DayZ is supposed to be set in eastern Europe where it's fairly chilly most of the time.

Also northern Europe is chilly most of the time but we get very bright sun here especially in summer when the sun is high and in the countryside where there are less pollution in the air.

It might be over the top in  Dayz, but in real life you cant look at sun, at all, without proper protection.

Wow yeah Chompster you're 100% right. The bottom 3 screenshots just WTF. Godrays cool looking but soooo unrealistic.

lighting in arma games has always been bad.

Not really. lighting in Arma3 is "perfect" and i really hope DayZ ends up with something pretty much exactly like it.

Arma2 was a bit less but i'd still take it over what we have now any time.

Edited by Chompster

lighting in arma games has always been bad.

The lighting in Arma 3 is lovely. Hopefully we'll get something similar with the light passing through buildings/general bugginess fixed in DayZ eventually.

i posted about it day one.

Same. People laughed and said "it's the sun, what do you expect?". morons.

• Like 1

Likely still not a priority like on the day one... I agree that we need Arma 3 style sun because it's lovely.

I  might be going mental but did they not tone it down a good few patches back but it seemed to be reverted in a more recent branch. Have clear memories of logging in to check out a new patch and noticing that the sun was back to it's old glaring ways