Sign in to follow this  
gaerteuth

Would the G3 Rifle ruin the game?

People who are worried about the g3 being overpowered are silly. A G3 will kick your shoulder off I mean its a huge ass round with a lot of powder behind it, so its going to jump around like a 5 year old in a candy store. Secondly its a heavy gun, there is a reason why modern military doesn't walk around with full automatic M82 barret 50 caliber rifles and a glocks chambered in 44 mag, because weight and recoil.

The military walks around with 5.56mm M16/M4/M249s and 9mm pistols for a reason. Did you know that a 5.56mm is a 22.3 caliber? That makes it sound really weak doesn't it? but because of the powder behind it can take down any man. Don't think high caliber is instantly more powerful than a lower caliber. Most rifles in the american civil war where 55 caliber, and I would bet a puny little 22.3 caliber out of a modern weapon would take down someone much faster.

Edited by Anthony_Dayz

Full auto fire with G3 is very impractical.

Tons of recoil and weapon accuracy is extremly decresed.

All Ingame weapon values should be tweaked in regards of their realistic pros and cons.

I'm highly against the idea,of taking away from realism for the sake of balance.

That beign said,the choice of full or semi rate of fire should be included as well.

i dont think it would ruin the game

I don't see why the gun should not be added. (it shouldn't be a high priority, but once they start adding things ...)

the HK G3 and the FN FAL are practically the "same" gun.

Both fire the 7,62mmx51mm  Nato (the Mosin fires the soviet 7,52x54R cartridge similar to the SVD).

They both have 20 round magazines and the ability to fire full-auto.

The FN FAL was in the mod an wasn't all that great. Don't get me wrong it is a great gun, but not nearly as overpowered as some of you are trying to tell us.

Regarding limiting it to "semi only". I think with ammo going to be really scares and valuable the last thing one is going to do is shoot a Battle-rifle in full-auto. Disregarding the recoil that would turn your rifle into an AAA after the second shot. So full-auto should still be an option (a bad one). If the gun where to be limited to semi auto like the M14 AIM in the mod, I am sure everyone would be able to click the LMB that it would not make much of a difference anyway. 

Also once they have added Zombies and working sound (geeks being attracted to gunshots and most of all very loud guns) i think one would rather not shoot this thing in the vicinity of any settlement.

Weight also bad.

About the damage being OP .. I'm ok with that. Let it be a one-shot-kill-to-the-chest-gun. And if the guy/gal has that gun he/she should have an advantage over you.

Last but not least the gun should be quite rare. Maybe they could add two versions. An older version without the ability to mount scopes on it, but with full-auto that spawns at normal military loot spawns (because the G3 has been in a shit ton of conflicts and it may have found its way to Chernarus, who knows?). And a modern DMR version with rail to support all kinds of attachments, that rarely spawns at chopper crash sites.

In the end with the rifle being rare, the ammo being rare and the mags also being rare I don't think there will be a lot of people running around with those bad boys. (even less so once they have implemented the central loot economy)

this. exactly. :D

Edited by rotteck

Did you ever play ARMA? Get shot by a single 7.62x51 under 800 meters and you were most assuredly dead. Despite this they were hardly unbalanced. It should not be like that in the first place anyways. There were plenty of these "full auto Mosins" and guess what, most all were replaced for general issue by intermediate caliber weapons by countries that could afford to do so.

I could not care less about the balance, it's a dirty word. If something is so unbalanced (TWS weapons, tanks) that you will have to make large deviations from reality to fit it into the game - then don't add the thing in the first place!

Got that already, it is known as AKM...

Except that's full auto. G3 could be semi-auto. Christ, read pls.

And, why was the AS50 removed from DayZ mod again?

What's that word that describes it? Balance? Yeah. It was removed because it was unbalanced.

it would be really cool if they decide to bring it ingame... old g3's are atm all over the world... germany make alot of money with his old metall u know ;)

as i was doing my service for the bundeswehr i was proud to carry a G3. i shoot both... the g3 and the G36...

the g36 is a toy as every 5,56mm weapon... every leave or just the wind do nasty things with this small light bullet. remember vietnam? no? ask some veterans... the 5,56 was a mass product thats why the americans use it... they have enough in store to fight 5 worldwars...

my g3 with 7,62 mm go aimed trough a 30cm tree over 1500 meters... and has still enough energy to kill you...

yes the g36 was a mistake imo...

Edited by quantum2k6

There's no reason for guns to be fair. Last time I checked a G3 was just a rifle, not some kind of Wunderwaffe. If the G3 is so amazing the Germans must have made the mistake of the century in swapping to the G36, eh?

There is a broad discussion among German gun-nuts (yes, we still have some, too) and ex-troops. Many of the old generation believe that the move to the G36 was basically disarming the Bundeswehr. The thing is that the G36 is a more light-weight and easily handled assault rifle with a nicely accurate burst, but the initial idea was also that it was to be a more modular type of weapon where you can swap components for different combat roles, but there is hardly any doubt that the G3 was a far more powerful (and some say reliable) assault rifle.

By the way, in the last few years the German ministry of defence has come under massive fire because apparently there is something not ideal with the G36 full auto fire mode. So yes, perhaps it isn't such a great gun at all.

What surprises me is that people here keep saying that the G3 uses the same ammunition as the Mosin, but this is not the case at all. I'm not a gun expert but I'd be very surprised to hear that 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54 Rimmed are interchangeable for the G3. I have an expert in the neighboring town's military store that I'm going to ask sometime next week, he'll know for sure.

Give it alot of recoil, 7.62x51 is a quite heavy round

Give it alot of recoil, 7.62x51 is a quite heavy round

How about, if you implement it, give it a realistic recoil. The recoil is said to be less than the AK47.

EDIT: Here's a nice video that shows a comparison of the M16, AK47 and G3 in action.

It has to be said though, that the soldier shooting the G3 must be a dope. What I heard from people that actually used it in service, it doesn't jam at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v3zCcvOb_E

Edited by ColonelBurton

Except that's full auto. G3 could be semi-auto. Christ, read pls.

The G3 is not semi-automatic. That would make it "not a G3". Who cares about this anyways? It's not a machine gun, smart players will not rattle off rounds on full, having full auto isn't going to make a noticeable difference in its effectiveness. I never missed the lack of full auto on the mod's M14 and I never, ever used the burst mode on the Takistani FAL.

The AKM should have semi-auto when they start fixing the weapon configs.

And, why was the AS50 removed from DayZ mod again?

What's that word that describes it? Balance? Yeah. It was removed because it was unbalanced.

Not according to R4Z0R49.

"7 pages of so called reasons why they got removed.

i can pretty much say every page of reasons is incorrect. I can also say every page has a valid reason to keep and a valid reason to remove. But none of them are the reason we have removed."

Anyways your mind seems to be stuck in the universe of "DayZ 0.45". Please step back and consider real life. G3s do not dominate the battlefield wherever they are found. It's just another rifle. :rolleyes: If there is some problem now, then make the game more "authentic" and there would be no problem with adding a G3, this is not hard to understand. And, like I said, if it's so "overpowered" you "need" to alter it, then don't add the thing in the first place.

Only in a video game could weapons like this...

ArHhzsX.jpg?1

be considered wholly inferior to weapons like this...

NfkNPTy.jpg?1

There is a broad discussion among German gun-nuts (yes, we still have some, too) and ex-troops. Many of the old generation believe that the move to the G36 was basically disarming the Bundeswehr. The thing is that the G36 is a more light-weight and easily handled assault rifle with a nicely accurate burst, but the initial idea was also that it was to be a more modular type of weapon where you can swap components for different combat roles, but there is hardly any doubt that the G3 was a far more powerful (and some say reliable) assault rifle.

By the way, in the last few years the German ministry of defence has come under massive fire because apparently there is something not ideal with the G36 full auto fire mode. So yes, perhaps it isn't such a great gun at all.

You hear the same kind of thing with the M14.

There is a broad discussion among German gun-nuts (yes, we still have some, too) and ex-troops. Many of the old generation believe that the move to the G36 was basically disarming the Bundeswehr.

Wasn't West Germany already planning to replace the G3 with the G11 before unification? Also there is a very vocal amount of critics in the US that claim battle rifles are superior to their successors.

On another note why is this even an issue? DayZ shouldn't be altering real world aspects of weapons for "Balance". Balance will come with the fact that a G3/FAL/M14 and their DMR variations such as the Mk 14 EBR/G3A3ZF-DMR:

*Weigh more than an AKM or M4/M16 (and thus would take more item blocks in inventory)

*Have lower magazine capacities

*Bigger magazines (Again taking more inventory space)

*Are harder to clear buildings or confined spaces with due to length

*Have lower rates of fire than assault rilfes

If its possible a G3 rifle could end up in Chernarus, sure, add it. Fuck balance.

I don't see how full auto 7.62x51 rifles ruin the game, I would love a G3. Every gun just needs to be done like they are in real life, like M4 not being horribly inaccurate and every rifle that has a bigger caliber being better than it. AKM for example.

i really don't think it would and I thought it was 308 not 7.62 but I'm probably wrong. and full auto I think the recoil would balance the weapon well. I want a B.A.R it shoots 30-06 rounds full auto maybe we could take to ten round mags and make a 20 and its iron sights only so keeps it short range but the damn think would hit folks like a mack truck same as with the G3 except it could get scopes.

OP is right it shoots 7.62x52 and an experimental model shot a 7.62x33.

I think 308. may perhaps be the SLR that looks similar but i could be wrong 

On another note why is this even an issue? DayZ shouldn't be altering real world aspects of weapons for "Balance". Balance will come with the fact that a G3/FAL/M14 and their DMR variations such as the Mk 14 EBR/G3A3ZF-DMR:

*Weigh more than an AKM or M4/M16 (and thus would take more item blocks in inventory)

*Have lower magazine capacities

*Bigger magazines (Again taking more inventory space)

*Are harder to clear buildings or confined spaces with due to length

*Have lower rates of fire than assault rilfes

Exactly. Another disadvantage that the G3 has compared to modern rifles is that it was harder and slower to reload. Roughly one and a half additional seconds for experienced riflemen due to the mechanics involved for example chambering the first round.

I personally don't see why the G3 shouldn't at least show up as an extremely rare spawn. After all, many countries still have it in use, such as Turkey, Pakistan, Iran, but also Germany still stores many as marksman rifles.

Edit in bold

Edited by ColonelBurton

yes the g36 was a mistake imo...

Actually it wasn't. Sure in the hands of a very experienced and skilled shooter the G3 is more powerful (thats why it stays the designated marksman rifle) but for the common grunt that does much more running than actual shooting the G36 is the way to go as its both lighter and easier (thats why people compare it to a toy).

And thats how the G3 could work in DayZ as well. It should have enough recoil and weight for the average player to say "Fuck this - I am switching back to the M4" but enough damage and accuracy to make up for this when you manage to control it.

I think the FAL will come before the G3 but i think the team need to expand on all categories of weapon, so people can make preferences and have a wide choice to pick from.

Yes, lets hope we get at least the "Big Three" of the battle rifle family and variations of them such as the paratrooper FAL, EBR and G3A3ZF. People whining about "balance" can go to games like COD where characteristics are altered and made simple for the causal crowd. DayZ is to be true to life, and like life, sometimes it isn't "fair" or "balanced".

Edited by Dale Gribble

The G3 is an awesome weapon, would definitely want it. If I ever find one, I'll drop whatever I have. Though the recoil should be out of this world and it doesn't have an ability to use a scope, it serves me well as a battle rifle.

The G3 is an awesome weapon, would definitely want it. If I ever find one, I'll drop whatever I have. Though the recoil should be out of this world and it doesn't have an ability to use a scope, it serves me well as a battle rifle.

As I said before, not the worst recoil in the world even if it is out of this world compared with ARs that fire 5.56 caliber. Why should it not have the ability to use a scope? It's a sharpshooter weapon.

As I said before, not the worst recoil in the world even if it is out of this world compared with ARs that fire 5.56 caliber. Why should it not have the ability to use a scope? It's a sharpshooter weapon.

I know that the G3 is as popular as it is for a good reason. The recoil is incredibly low, for a 7.62x51 rifle. It shouldn't mount a scope because 80% of all G3 rifles don't even have rails. I don't know if scopes like that on the HK41 can be fitted on a regular G3, but even if they could, they'd be non-present in Chernarus. However, you could say that the flecktarn camo hat in SA heavily implies that Bundeswehr forces were present. That would allow for more modern G3 variants, which can take scopes and other attachments. 

For gameplay purposes, I'd choose for the regular G3, though. And I actually prefer the original G3 over the modernised ones as well.

Just give it enough recoil that it'll be to hard to handle. Firing a hefty enough cartridge it should be enough to throw off your aim severely by the second or third shot.

No it wouldn't. Doesn't matter what caliber it is because there are shittone of other similar guns and the devs said they aren't gonna bother with accurate calibers anyway.

I know that the G3 is as popular as it is for a good reason. The recoil is incredibly low, for a 7.62x51 rifle. It shouldn't mount a scope because 80% of all G3 rifles don't even have rails. I don't know if scopes like that on the HK41 can be fitted on a regular G3, but even if they could, they'd be non-present in Chernarus. However, you could say that the flecktarn camo hat in SA heavily implies that Bundeswehr forces were present. That would allow for more modern G3 variants, which can take scopes and other attachments. 

For gameplay purposes, I'd choose for the regular G3, though. And I actually prefer the original G3 over the modernised ones as well.

I think they'll go with the traditional G3 with the option for optics. And I do think the flecktarn, DPM, AK74M that was planned and the US shirts imply if not prove presence of German, British, Russian and American forces. It would open the doors for RP and more equipment so long as they keep the overall emphasis on Soviet hardware