FrostDMG

Make mics a requirement.

In order to launch DayZ you should have to have a working mic plugged in.

Easy to implement too. Make the game check whether thr device is plugged in, then you should have to say something like "DayZ" into the mic, voila. Working mic confirmed. You're good to go.

This would be pretty hard to circumvent and people MIGHT just start talking to eacher.

Literally no downsides.

Get at me.

Terrible idea. Most players don't use them. Even if you were somehow able to "force" mics in to play, that doesn't mean players will talk.

They could just plug it in, say "DayZ" to start the game then take it off and put it on the coffee table.

Pointless :(

I just can't believe an idea of this calber merited four pages of discussion, unless it is everyone dogpiling OP to let him know how silly he sounds.

I just can't believe an idea of this calber merited four pages of discussion, unless it is everyone dogpiling OP to let him know how silly he sounds.

Its everyone telling OP he is a moron, and the occasional person who thinks this idea isn't shit for some reason.

If people aren't talking, making them own a mic won't make them talk

You didn't read the thread

You didn't read the thread

But it would make more text users talk, because when their not able to type, THEY do wanna communicate, so it would force em to talk. Not everyone will though, their loss, they probably doesn't talk in real life either because of social angsiaty. That would also make it realistic ingame because you meet a guy, he doesnt speak, you can either leave him or put him out of he's misery,,,a deaf guy would'nt hear a zombie closing in on him so he might be better of dead because he' wouldn't survive the apocalypse for to long,,,haha

But if removing text isn't an option, atleast, make texting noisy in some way because right now the texter gets the advantage of not revealing he's position...and I refuse to text because I want more realism and immersion..This is the main reason I want to see texting removed, or made so I can reveal where they are texting from...

Edited by Kaboki

This is kind of offtopic but why choose a girl gamer as an example?

I thought we wanted equality. I've probably been more harressed than any other "girl" gamer out there, I played cod for 7 years, and you have no idea how many people have slept with my mother and how many c*cks i've sucked.

Ew, god no, don't even talk about CoD here ;-;

Nah, but when I talk to girl gamers, their biggest issue is sexual harassment. (mainly from 12 y/os.) I've even met some that use male avatars to avoid it, and only type in-game.

I have a mic. I also have loud 20 something year old roommates and a PC in the living room. I can't always be using a mic.

I have a mic. I also have loud 20 something year old roommates and a PC in the living room. I can't always be using a mic.

Yeah, maybe removing text alltogether is a bit harsh, and I totally understand your point. So I would like to see some sounds made when people text instead, that would keep everyone happy. Just take away the option for the sneaky bastard laying in the bush texting "i see you,muhahaha" and start verbal abuse without me knowing where he is. If he made sounds while texting he might reconsider harrasing me in a unrealistic way, because it could get him killed....

ITS NOT ABOUT FUCKING ROLEPLAY!!!! Maybe if you for once used a mic to talk in game instead of being so fucking stubborn and kill count hungry, you'd realize theres more to the player interactions than "your bullets -->> their hitbox".

Why would I want to talk in game when i'm talking on Skype/Mumble while KoSing people left, right, and center? Bad idea is bad mmkay.

• Like 1

Second, what about mute players?

What about them, if you muted them it's your own fault..

Mute players =/= players who have been muted ingame by a player/admin/etc.

A mute person is someone who can't speak physically  <_<

to the OP;

How to communicate in dayZ

1. Find the 3.5mm jacks for Mic and headset on your PC and connect the appropiate wires. many are even color coded for those with trouble reading instructions.

IPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3.5mm-TRR

2. Go to http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads and download the TS3 client.

3. Go to the Group & Clan recruiting section and look for people to play with.

4. once provided with proper information join the teamspeak and use your headset.

Congradulations! you are now probably getting 10x more out of dayZ then you would ever get from being forced to parrot back some stupid phrase on game start up- or by attempting comunication with randoms who in 90% of cases will try to kill you if they're armed.

Mute players =/= players who have been muted ingame by a player/admin/etc.

A mute person is someone who can't speak physically  <_<

Ah, ok, didn't know that players muted by someone else is also muted for everyone...Why is that, the sidechat is gone, what's the reason for muting players for everyone?

I misunderstood, I thought he talked about "muted players" that had been muted by someone else or admin...sorry. Oh and yeah I understand that some players are mute in real life, so I adjusted my thoughts on the matter, and suggested another solution, make texting players heard that would take away the advantage of texting instead of talking... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kaboki

Congradulations! you are now probably getting 10x more out of dayZ then you would ever get from being forced to parrot back some stupid phrase on game start up- or by attempting comunication with randoms who in 90% of cases will try to kill you if they're armed.

It's talking to other players without knowing if their friendly or not that makes this game exciting, also using direct chat with friends instead of teamspeak just adds even more tension because you never know who is listening and you have to communicate tactically instead of just talk random bs with friends on teamspeak without fear of being heard...pussies. So if you can manage to get your friends on direct instead of the higly unrealistic teamspeak, you will get 100X more immersion out of this game....I know this because I used skype in the past talking to friends, it took away alot of the excitement compared too using direct, so we all agreed only to use it to join up(when the Walkie Talkie gets better range we would drop skype completly, it would also make evrything more thrilling because we never know if someone is listening and preparing and ambush on the location we decide to meet).

And 90% is exagerrated, my expirience says it's a 50% chance that the player you meet is friendly, and if he's not, how fun isn't it to get kidnapped and robbed, feed rotting fruit or other abuses, you won't always be killed on sight and some bandits even let you leave after they taken all your gear. If you have not encountered being taken hostage and getting a burlap sack over your head, your missing out alot of cool things about the game. It's not all about getting geared up and then go out finding people to kill...

I had an thrilling moment oneday at hardcore server in the middle of the night. I was in the woods far away from towns and tought that it would be safe to use the flashlight, after 1 minute with ligh on I suddenly heard a creepy scream coming towards me, I pointed my flashlight in that direction and I see a mad axe killer coming out of the dark wood running towards me, he scared the crap outa me. I instantly turned of the flaslight and runned like hell with a really high pulse. I managed to get away in the dark:p

Imagine the same scenario where the player would "type" the scream, that would be so dull compared to the creepy scream this player used against me(also I would not know where the scream came from, wich saved me in this situation). I find texting boring, higly unrealistic and also it gives texters an unfair advantage not having to reveal their hiding spot when communecating.

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 3

It's talking to other players without knowing if their friendly or not that makes this game exciting, also using direct chat with friends instead of teamspeak just adds even more tension because you never know who is listening and you have to communicate tactically instead of just talk random bs with friends on teamspeak without fear of being heard...pussies. So if you can manage to get your friends on direct instead of the higly unrealistic teamspeak, you will get 100X more immersion out of this game....I know this because I used skype in the past talking to friends, it took away alot of the excitement by using direct, so we all agreed only to use it to join up(when the Walkie Talkie gets better range we would drop skype completly).

And 90% is exagerrated, my expirience says it's a 50% chance that the player you meet is friendly, and if he's not, how fun isn't it to get kidnapped and robbed, feed rotting fruit or other abuses, you won't always be killed on sight and some bandits even let you leave after they taken all your gear. If you have not encountered being taken hostage and getting a burlap sack over your head, your missing out alot of cool things about the game. It's not all about getting geared up and then go out finding people to kill...

I had an thrilling moment oneday at hardcore server in the middle of the night. I was in the woods far away from towns and tought that it would be safe to use the flashlight, after 1 minute with ligh on I suddenly heard a creepy scream coming towards me, I pointed my flashlight in that direction and I see a mad axe killer coming out of the dark wood running towards me, he scared the crap outa me. I instantly turned of the flaslight and runned like hell with a really high pulse. I managed to get away in the dark:p

Imagine the same scenario where the player would "type" the scream, that would be so dull compared to the creepy scream this player used against me. I find texting boring, higly unrealistic and also it gives texters an unfair advantage not having to reveal their hiding spot when communecating.

to me dayZ is about staying alive- as long as possible. work with those i know i can count on and dispatch or avoid unecessary risks. i cant wait untill loot is more rare and spawns spread out, then they'll be a reason to stalk players for gear- especially once zombies get fixed and made harder. let that random loot the town then follow into the doowd or remode location between towns before ambush!

I absolutely HATE "YOLOing" and taking stupid risks. im one of those cold calculating types that likes to plan and carefully disect everything. Maybe it's the fact that im an 8yr Eve Online vet, but im just used to disecting the game mechanics studying and analyzing ever possible factor to something and then doing everything i can to get ahead. in dayZ terms that means seeking out the best gear and living longer then the next guy!

to me dayZ is about staying alive- as long as possible. work with those i know i can count on and dispatch or avoid unecessary risks. i cant wait untill loot is more rare and spawns spread out, then they'll be a reason to stalk players for gear- especially once zombies get fixed and made harder. let that random loot the town then follow into the doowd or remode location between towns before ambush!

I absolutely HATE "YOLOing" and taking stupid risks. im one of those cold calculating types that likes to plan and carefully disect everything. Maybe it's the fact that im an 8yr Eve Online vet, but im just used to disecting the game mechanics studying and analyzing ever possible factor to something and then doing everything i can to get ahead. in dayZ terms that means seeking out the best gear and living longer then the next guy!

Yes, and alot of people play that way and I have nothing against that, but it would be cooler if you guys used direct and survived in a much more realistic way than just be unrealistic muted bandits using teamspeak to talk like you guys have some magic ingame telepathic device.... I also play this too survive, but I like it too be as realistic as possible... I also would like to see people using the Walkie Talkies alot more, we have gotten this very cool feature and nobody uses it because almost everyone are teamspeak pussies afraid to get killed in a video game..

• Like 1

Hello there

Whilst you are welcome to have ideas  and to discuss and defend them what we dont like is folk insulting eachother.

Please be aware of this.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Indeed, not being able to afford a microphone (10 €/$/L) is no excuse and as the OP (or somebody else?) said, those persons most likely have bigger problems than a PC and games.

Nevertheless, people who don't want to talk would plug it in and just don't use it...

Hello there

Whilst you are welcome to have ideas  and to discuss and defend them what we dont like is folk insulting eachother.

Please be aware of this.

Rgds

LoK

Where did I insult anyone in this thread?, except my first 2 posts on this forum about zombies a few days back...In anger and frustration I basicly told everyone go to hell including a forum mod, that didn't even get me a warning :P(which it should). Because I was basicly a dickhead that wouldn't listen to suggestions that i realised later was actually very useful... 

C'mon, how is calling a teamspeaker a pussy offencive, it's the thruth, they use it to get advantage over "us" direct chatters, and that is being pussies no matter how we look at it. Maybe I should use the word "cheater" instead, the same but maybe less offencive...

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 1

Nah. Not even mad. Haven't played DayZ since last year. 

Umm, sorry buddy but if  you can't afford a mic - and I'm 100% serious when I say this - you have bigger problems to worry about than DayZ, or gaming for that matter. 

Compromising identity? Hardly. Everyone's anonymous on the internet (to an extent obviously). This has nothing to do with privacy. This has everything to do with social interactions between players which are hampered by the lack of players with microphones. 

TBH you're hardly going to be harassed when talking to someone in direct and if you're so insecure that you DON'T want to talk even over THE INTERNET for god's sake, then I am dissapoint. 

My reason is simple - get people to interact instead of KOSing. I GUARANTEE that this would reduce the KOS. Right now someone might be typing something but you don't know if he's typing or simply taking aim. This would solve this problem. 

ezgame ezlyfe.

The one person that has talked to me in game via voice chat after 150+ hours I've killed.

Your logic is flawed.

I don't want to be forced to communicate by voice. I don't live alone, and on the occasion that I do play, it's usually in the evenings or at night when people are asleep.

I have a mic, I just choose not to use it. What's to stop other people from plugging a mic in and never using it after that? All this does is penalise players that don't have an ancillary piece of hardware. It'd be like preventing people from playing the game because they don't have a wireless mouse.

I can see the reasoning behind this suggestion, but it does nothing to solve anything.

LOL literaly no downside ???

u mean other then having to listen to 12yr old nerd rage...

first setting i did to both Dayz and SA was to turn VOIP volumne OFF..  chat into ur mic all u want i'll not hear you..

kkthxbye

Where did I insult anyone in this thread?, except my first 2 posts on this forum about zombies a few days back...In anger and frustration I basicly told everyone go to hell including a forum mod, that didn't even get me a warning :P(which it should). Because I was basicly a dickhead that wouldn't listen to suggestions that i realised later was actually very useful... 

C'mon, how is calling a teamspeaker a pussy offencive, it's the thruth, they use it to get advantage over "us" direct chatters, and that is being pussies no matter how we look at it. Maybe I should use the word "cheater" instead, the same but maybe less offencive...

Hello there

Not all posts refer to you. My post was aimed at everyone in the thread.

Regardless don't call people "pussies". You may not find it offensive but its not your forum.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

forcing people to own and have a mic plugged into your PC will have zero affect on kos... trying to say otherwise means you have put no thought into your argument and are just desperately grasping at straws

edit: it might increase it actually.. save everyone from having to listen to squeakers in range and send them back to the beach

Edited by SkyPig

Regardless don't call people "pussies". You may not find it offensive but its not your forum.

Fair enough, point taken..

forcing people to own and have a mic plugged into your PC will have zero affect on kos... trying to say otherwise means you have put no thought into your argument and are just desperately grasping at straws

edit: it might increase it actually.. save everyone from having to listen to squeakers in range and send them back to the beach

You're right, it wouldn't solve all KOS'ing. But, lets say I didn't have a mic, that would make me less likely to communicate before I kill(if I kill), because starting to type on the keyboard when in visible contact to a player most likely would get me killed. So I would KOS just because I would be more on the edge. When I talk to a player, I often have got myself out of situations just by using my voice to manipulate that player into thinking it's not worth it. E.g I could convince him to beleive that I have friends watching over me in the hills or something. With only me being able to text diplomacy would not be an option because before in finish texting I could be dead already.

So maybe, just maybe theres a slightly chance that others feel the same as me and the day they can afford a mic they just might use other tactics than KOS.

But offcourse KOS'ing would never stop, hell, I don't want it to stop. In a real apocalypse I think you will meet just as many KOS'ers, it's not like rapists, nechrophiles, murderers, serial killers would cease to exist when the world turns, In fact it would be heaven for such people that enjoy killing because theres no law and police to enforce them. I like the diversety in dayz just like in real life. If everyone was a hero and all we did was singing combaya to eachother and praise the lord then it would be really boring.

If you use more sneaky tactics you'll almost never get KOS'ed. Avoid open areas as much as possible and you'll be fine. Search out sniper positions before entering aiports etc etc.

Edited by Kaboki

I somehow don't see this suggestion being implemented.

I'd go for 1st person only requirement before this.

1st person only has already been implemented in all Aus servers...

Also it's not that hard to get a mic and use it. People seem to fail to realise communication is a key part of the game / player interaction and having a mic can save you in many situations.

Edited by pjano

Hello there

My mic is dodgy and if it breaks i will be unable to replace it. Just because one has a PC does not mean that in all situations one has spare cash.

Also, my home situation means that its often impossible to use a mic due to noise issues.

Communication is key, but it doesnt all have to be verbal. A simple list of emotes/standard queues would be enough for many situations if not all. 

Making the use of a mic compulsory is IMHO ridiculous and draconian and will not stop KoS to an appreciable degree.

Rgds

LoK 

• Like 1