FrostDMG

Make mics a requirement.

I have mostly up to 3 people at same room with me playing their own different games, watching movies and/or talking at background, forced microphone make me sound like one mans carnival walking around Chernarus.

I can afford DayZ and mic, but i cant afford divorce. :lol:

• Like 2

The most idiotic suggestion I've seen on these forums I believe.

Edited by LeChat
  • Like 1

Hang around a bit longer ;)

• Like 6

Heres another hole in this most rashly thought out idea. I do have a mic but i only use it to talk to people when i am playing with my friends. Trying to speak and befriend more then one person at a time on my own has led to my death so many times that i no longer bother, if there is one person then i can still run away but if there is two or more i will fight to the death.

If You think having a mic will reduce kill on sight, not by a long shot, will everyone having a mic suddenly increase how friendly they are in the game, fuck no.

What you would end up getting is every other player you bump into trying to handcuff you and shove rotten zuccini down your throat, It is also generally a lot younger people who do not have a mic and your suggesting forcing those squeaky little terds to ruin my in-game sound for me, no thanks OP. 

I don't mind talking on mic myself, but I don't see this implemented. OP seems like he's trying to coerce people to play it his way and his view of DayZ, while completely disregarding respect, opinion, and reasons of others from what I read. Some people are obsessed with having people talking to them back in game and its kinda creepy.

I am all for social interaction, immersion, and going against groups with teamspeak or skype in game for an unfair advantage. However there must be a better way to do things than making others feel uncomfortable coercing them to talk on mics.

Perhaps make a radio static sound when someone started typing, others will know that the person is typing or hear that there is someone is nearby to give them the same disadvantage as someone who is speaking on a mic?

Besides, having DAYZ mic only will have people realize that I am actually ignoring some of the more verbal abusive players. Who I don't kill since we're on the same clan....

Edited by Coltz
  • Like 1

Or maybe they should make us do an IQ test? Or maybe some sort of age verification?

Pointless thread imo, not to mention the fact that its in the wrong section of the forum.

I reckon OP is the type a bloke what runs up to everyone sayin 'hey there I am friendly wanna team?' and then gets shot and thinks its because they don't have a mic when in reality its because he is a creepy fucker what needs putting down

I have mic, but I talk only when:

1) I desire to do so

2) Don't have too much fear of the person I meet

3) I am roleplaying/doing the idiot/not playing seriously

4) I don't bother somebody else (given that I don't live alone)

The rest of the time I contribute to this kind of suggestions, shooting fresh spawns in the chest without a reason and without a warning.

What I mean is that forcing people to have the hardware to talk doesn't force them to talk when they meet somebody.

Neither forces them to talk before they shoot.

And I consider it pointless. As IRL talking is a possibility, not something you are forced to do - and this is meant to be a sandbox game. If you don't want to talk, then don't do it.

KOS will maybe become less predominant as the game evolves and becomes feature complete, but will always be a part of it.

Dean with it.

NO im saying that online game in general are quite full of abusive jerks and screaming kids. is that every dayZ player? no. but there's a fair few of them. i dont see any benefit from FORCING people to be subject to it.

The people who want to roleplay/be hero/friendly/ what ever already do- and those that don't i can assure you wouldnt suddenly play nicely when forced to mic-up. Again, I already play with a Mic and i only talk on TS3 with people i choose to associate. the random guy who just ran in on me is getting shot, and forcing me to have my coms on in game will only earn that guy a vulgar remark before his death. its not going to to have the result you seem to think that would justify it as a feature/requirement.

DayZ is NOT

-Farming simulator

-Friendly in cherno RPG

-How long can i hold 'W' down; 2014 edition.

The threat of random, unprovoked agression will always be a factor; and it SHOULD always be a factor. Im all for features that add depth and value to gameplay, and keeping your character alive longer. i am NOT in support of arbitrary requirements or restrictions.

Accccctuaaaaalyyyyyyyy, It is about how long you can hold W, and, farming is wanting to be implimented, therefor it could be a farming simulator ^-^

Hardly, its actually someone thinking out the box to try and deal with this awful community. People are not communicating and walking around like its death match so something needs to be done to alter the collective mindset. I dont think this idea is it, in fact i ve said mine many times about the zombies and environment been too casual.

but at least its a good debate and got a few people wound up (who obviously can't understand the neccesity for a mic in Day Z...)

My reason is simple - get people to interact instead of KOSing. I GUARANTEE that this would reduce the KOS. Right now someone might be typing something but you don't know if he's typing or simply taking aim. This would solve this problem. 

I don't think it would. I've had a situation where I'll hear somebody talking nearby, I'll attempt to get their attention and ask if they're friendly, and then they'll stop talking and begin opening fire. I don't think KOS matters entirely on communication, but just on how the player is. 

As mentioned by others previously, some people just don't want to talk, whether it be due to being uncomfortable, it being late in the night or they just simply don't want to talk. The game shouldn't have to punish people for not wanting to speak.

My reason is simple - get people to interact instead of KOSing. I GUARANTEE that this would reduce the KOS. Right now someone might be typing something but you don't know if he's typing or simply taking aim. This would solve this problem. 

I doubt that people who simply dont want to talk to other people would start talking simply by forcing them to plugin mic to start the game?

Also once again, people who enjoy KoS arent really bothered about the fact if can the victim talk or not.

Edited by BENEDICTUS

while it would be nice if people would voice chat more often, this suggestion would not make people speak in game if they dont want to, it would just force them to confirm they have a mic.

Hardly, its actually someone thinking out the box to try and deal with this awful community. People are not communicating and walking around like its death match so something needs to be done to alter the collective mindset. I dont think this idea is it, in fact i ve said mine many times about the zombies and environment been too casual.

but at least its a good debate and got a few people wound up (who obviously can't understand the neccesity for a mic in Day Z...)

Mic is a necessity in dayz? Lol no, I never communicate with others, since it doesnt change anything in 99% of situations.

People are walking around like in a deathmatch because 

1.Thee is not much to do.

2.Most people playing dayz are not mentally fit for that type of games, only thing they care about is shoot shoot shoot.

Edited by So Sexy

And what about for players that either don't own a mic, or simply don't choose to use one, so that it doesn't compromise a part of their identity? (i.e, girl gamer who was previously harassed)

This is kind of offtopic but why choose a girl gamer as an example?

I thought we wanted equality. I've probably been more harressed than any other "girl" gamer out there, I played cod for 7 years, and you have no idea how many people have slept with my mother and how many c*cks i've sucked.

Umm, sorry buddy but if  you can't afford a mic - and I'm 100% serious when I say this - you have bigger problems to worry about than DayZ, or gaming for that matter. 

A few months after I first bought DayZ, my microphone broke. I still played the game, though, despite my microphone being broken. I had to wait quite a few weeks to be able to buy a new one. According to your logic, I shouldn't be allowed to play the game because my ability to talk over voice chat has been (temporarily) crippled?

Really, this is one of the stupidest threads I have ever seen. Are you begging for an influx of negative feedback? I do not see how limiting the game to people with microphones is a good idea.

Like it or not, some people are in bad economic situations, or are in, say, college or even high school and sometimes can't afford a microphone. Good headsets can be expensive. Just because someone can't afford a headset or microphone does not mean they won't own DayZ, though. You don't know how they acquired it. There are several ways to get the game without using your own cash, and even if they used their own cash, it doesn't mean they can afford every thing they would possibly like to buy.

Here are a few ways to get games on Steam such as DayZ without dishing out your hard earned cash;

-Trading on sites like TF2 Outpost, where you can practically get any game you want for Mann Co Keys

-Receiving the game as a gift from a friend

-Selling Steam trading cards on the market, though this would require thousands of sales, and using the funds to buy the game

Even if the person without the microphone bought DayZ, which is $30, why should they have to go and spend $20 - $40 on a decent headset to play the game they spent their fucking money on?

Oh boooooy. How fun. You buy DayZ, it won't run. Why? You don't have a microphone. Uh oh, time to spend even more money. Wait, you don't have it because the rest went to bills, groceries, and gas? Oh no, no DayZ for you!

Your suggestion, your idea, your thread- It disgusts me. Absolutely repulsive idea, literally has no positive sides.

• Like 2

In order to launch DayZ you should have to have a working mic plugged in.

Easy to implement too. Make the game check whether thr device is plugged in, then you should have to say something like "DayZ" into the mic, voila. Working mic confirmed. You're good to go.

This would be pretty hard to circumvent and people MIGHT just start talking to eacher.

Literally no downsides.

Get at me.

I don't know if joking or just plain stupid.

• Like 1

This is kind of offtopic but why choose a girl gamer as an example?

I thought we wanted equality. I've probably been more harressed than any other "girl" gamer out there, I played cod for 7 years, and you have no idea how many people have slept with my mother and how many c*cks i've sucked.

I think he was referring to the fact that a fair few choose to not speak up in game to avoid the hassle from immature kids/teens who have to make a big deal of having female player in the server. My wife plays from time to time but wont use in-game comms and tends to avoid the younger members of our clan for the same reason. (tbh ive witnessed the sort of harassment thats dished out by these delinquents and wouldnt want a "feature" that forces me to have verbal interactions- regardless of gender.) thats the point hes making, you have a CHOICE to engage with someone or not, to hear thier coms or not. it should stay that way.

Oh look, another "MAKE THE GAME EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT TO BE" post from FrostDMG. Shocking.

This won't cut down on KoS.

People will create easy to download programs to work a way around this.

It's not essential.

It's a bad idea.

• Like 2

I somehow don't see this suggestion being implemented.

I'd go for 1st person only requirement before this.

Yes please, 1 person only, it would make hardcore servers more populated. Right know it's hard to find 1 person servers that are populated, especially night servers(why is everyone scared of the night?)

As for the mic, I don't thrust people that don't talk to me when I meet them, a voice often(not always) tells wether that person is thrustworty, so anyone I encounter that don't answer me when Im talking, I kill, and tell them if they just picked up their mic we could have had a totally different situation.(maybe they learn and buy a microphone for the next session.)

This wouldn't work, people who don't wanna talk would buy a mic to get in-game, then not use it lol

My main issue with my mic is that when its late and the missus is asleep I cant be chatting away with my mates online. I use the mic during reasonable hours but have to just mute it and fold it away when it gets past 12ish.

There are families that will have a family PC, might be just about good enough t run dayz, but they don't have the disposable income for things like headsets, upgrades, generally gaming gear. Its a luxury that gets bumped by school uniforms for the kids, shopping, bills ect ect. Some people are just happy to even own a computer, I know a couple of people who 30 quid on a headset would be just frivolous expenditure. 

Id like to see people talking more in dayz too, but besides this just wouldn't work, its unfair on a minority of players that shouldn't be forced out due to whatever circumstances that mean they cant use, or prefer not to use a mic :) 

A few months after I first bought DayZ, my microphone broke. I still played the game, though, despite my microphone being broken. I had to wait quite a few weeks to be able to buy a new one. According to your logic, I shouldn't be allowed to play the game because my ability to talk over voice chat has been (temporarily) crippled?

Really, this is one of the stupidest threads I have ever seen. Are you begging for an influx of negative feedback? I do not see how limiting the game to people with microphones is a good idea.

Like it or not, some people are in bad economic situations, or are in, say, college or even high school and sometimes can't afford a microphone. Good headsets can be expensive. Just because someone can't afford a headset or microphone does not mean they won't own DayZ, though. You don't know how they acquired it. There are several ways to get the game without using your own cash, and even if they used their own cash, it doesn't mean they can afford every thing they would possibly like to buy.

Here are a few ways to get games on Steam such as DayZ without dishing out your hard earned cash;

-Trading on sites like TF2 Outpost, where you can practically get any game you want for Mann Co Keys

-Receiving the game as a gift from a friend

-Selling Steam trading cards on the market, though this would require thousands of sales, and using the funds to buy the game

Even if the person without the microphone bought DayZ, which is $30, why should they have to go and spend $20 - $40 on a decent headset to play the game they spent their fucking money on?

Oh boooooy. How fun. You buy DayZ, it won't run. Why? You don't have a microphone. Uh oh, time to spend even more money. Wait, you don't have it because the rest went to bills, groceries, and gas? Oh no, no DayZ for you!

Your suggestion, your idea, your thread- It disgusts me. Absolutely repulsive idea, literally has no positive sides.

Got a bit harsh towards the end but all in all good points.

First, why would having a mic make people talk more?

Second, what about mute players?

Third, what about non-English speakers and those with thick accents?

Making people buy piece of hardware to play a game is stupid, some of us have families and lives. When it comes down to it, most of us would rather buy food or a tank of gas than spend 20 bucks on a stupid mic.

• Like 1

Because if they cant type, their forced to talk, run or kill you..I think alot more people would start to talk if their not alowed to text.

What about them, if you muted them it's your own fault..

Most of the time I find it alot easier to understand none english speakers than native english speakers with accent, and If you don't get what their saying just run away, kill'em or whatever. Even if I cant understand some people I find it alot more imemrsive when they talk and it adds that little extra to the game. I even wish people stopped using teamspeak(only use it to meet up) and talk to their friends on direct, It's alot more immersive and scary because someone could hear it, and it would be more realistic. I only use direct when playing with my friends, sometimes when in hotzones we have to whisper to each other and it's so cool. Also an advantage with direct versus teamspeak is that you can hear where your friend is and avoid shooting him when in a firefight with others.

Making people buy piece of hardware to play a game is stupid, some of us have families and lives. When it comes down to it, most of us would rather buy food or a tank of gas than spend 20 bucks on a stupid mic.

I would not suggest not be able to start the game if one doesn't have a mic, but removing the text chat would be nice, or as an alternative make the textchat noisy so Im able to locate what direction that person is and where he's hiding, that would even up the odds because the textchatter know where I am, but I have no option to reveal where he's hiding...

We have this almost unique feature in Arma engines with the direct chat system, so I would like to see it used alot more. Teamspeak pussyes, start chatting ingame you don't know what youre missing, it's alot scarier when your voice could get you killed and your team has to be chareful in areas where there probably is a high risk of meeting other players, 100% more realistic. Also it would be fun for others that can sneak up and eavesdrop on conversations. Had only a few encounters where teamed up players talked in direct, I sneak up on them in the dark and listened for 5 minutes on their conversation, decided not to kill and rob them just because I liked what they did:p and if everyone did the same it would bring more "life" and realism to Dayz...

Edited by Kaboki

Because if they cant type, their forced to talk, run or kill you..I think alot more people would start to talk if their not alowed to text.

What about them, if you muted them it's your own fault..

Most of the time I find it alot easier to understand none english speakers than native english speakers with accent, and If you don't get what their saying just run away, kill'em or whatever. Even if I cant understand some people I find it alot more imemrsive when they talk and it adds that little extra to the game. I even wish people stopped using teamspeak(only use it to meet up) and talk to their friends on direct, It's alot more immersive and scary because someone could hear it, and it would be more realistic. I only use direct when playing with my friends, sometimes when in hotzones we have to whisper to each other and it's so cool. Also an advantage with direct versus teamspeak is that you can hear where your friend is and avoid shooting him when in a firefight with others.

If people aren't talking, making them own a mic won't make them talk

You didn't read the thread

You didn't read the thread

• Like 1