Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

When Map Making comes, in the far far future, what will you make?

I am going to make a huge, urban city, full of large, tall skyscrapers, shops, and other locations. There will be so many cars abandoned on the street navigating by sidewalk will basically be essential unless you want to walk along the roofs of rusty cabs. Most of the stores will be restaurants, or jewelry places, or tourist shops featuring shirts about the city, all rather useless to most survivors, other then the one can they find every four restaurants or so.

Of course, there will be a few places in my urban jungle where valuables will be able to be found. There will be two gun shops, and four antique shops, strewn across the city. Each gun shop will most likely spawn one or two modernish weapons with very, very little ammunition and antique shops will spawn older weapons with very little ammo and melee kind of stuff, and if modding is added in by the time I make this map, I'll throw together some interesting melee weapons to go with this.

You can always leave the city, but the place has a lot of high vantage points and things to explore that its the perfect spot for cannibals, and if cannibalism is not added by the time the game is released with map making tools I will be a tad confused, as it will be easy to hide yourself and take out unexpecting travelers from afar.

Outside the city will be a suburban district, and after that will be a large amount of dense forests. A long way away from the city will be an old Civil War battlefield, which will have a low chance of spawning melees and old guns, and perhaps a calvary sabre if modding is implemented that allows the implementing of new weapons.

There will also be a few military outposts in the city, but they will not spawn much, and there will a nuclear power plant at one edge of the map.

WHAT WILL YOU GUYS MAKE?

click on the banner at the bottom of this and you'll see what I've begun work on, conversion to SA shouldn't be too much of a pain, though we'll have to see how this whole Nav' mesh thing goes and if that is something they'll release as a community dev tool too.

• Like 7

click on the banner at the bottom of this and you'll see what I've begun work on, conversion to SA shouldn't be too much of a pain, though we'll have to see how this whole Nav' mesh thing goes and if that is something they'll release as a community dev tool too.

They better give us the navmesh tool, I don't see why they wouldn't.

That would be like saying every community created map would have to have glitchy zed movement stuff.

Edited by One-Eyed Paulie

All i can say man is good fucking job so far! keep up the great work!

• Like 1

A tiny desert island with a single hatchet spawn in the middle.

The more I get to know you, the more I start to like you...

YWaLJoG.jpg

NOVIGRAD!

The bustling capital of Chernarus (not Chernogorsk you ignorant morons!), it would be the absolute BEST urban map ever. Yeah, shut up about Western maps. I'll strangle everyone who wants DayZ to go Western (American-set zombie games are way too clichéd). The high rise, the expansive apartments, the rustic old town, the staple victory square. All your standard eastern European capital features, only ARMA-fied. 

I'd also LOVE to redo the OFP islands, as all the current OFP maps for A2 suck rancid ass.

• Like 2

NOVIGRAD!

.... Yeah, shut up about Western maps. I'll strangle everyone who wants DayZ to go Western (American-set zombie games are way too clichéd). 

Yep, luckily there are no clichés in former Soviet Era maps. Whew, now that we got that out of the way...

• Like 1

Yep, luckily there are no clichés in former Soviet Era maps. Whew, now that we got that out of the way...

Might not be the case but they aren't overused yet...and since every zombie movie/series/game plays in the USA or some westernized tropical island ( Dead island :rolleyes: ) playing it in Chernarus/South Zagoria is a welcome change isn't it?

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at recreating my hometown, and eventually my home state if it was possible.

Im replacing allot of the crappy generic Russian food restaurants with some Taco Bells. :P

82915456.jpg

• Like 3

Im replacing allot of the crappy generic Russian food restaurants with some Taco Bells. :P

82915456.jpg

Taco Bell huh? Isn't their food what started the zombie outbreak? :D

I would like to make a suburb area, with a town center. Where a shopping center could have a variety of stores to loot, and also be ambushed in. Like many suburb areas I would want it to be surrounded by wilderness, maybe a national forest, with plenty of hiking trails, camp sites, and of course game trails. Though I have a feeling all of the houses in the neighborhoods would destroy the fps.

Taco Bell huh? Isn't their food what started the zombie outbreak? :D

I would like to make a suburb area, with a town center. Where a shopping center could have a variety of stores to loot, and also be ambushed in. Like many suburb areas I would want it to be surrounded by wilderness, maybe a national forest, with plenty of hiking trails, camp sites, and of course game trails. Though I have a feeling all of the houses in the neighborhoods would destroy the fps.

DUDE you can NEVER go wrong with the 5 dollar box menu deal OR a grilled stuffed burrito! XD

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

When, the time comes when we are able to create our own maps, i will begin recreating London, this game needs more tea and crumpets.

Namalsk blown up to the size of taviana or even sahrani would be the next step. Same base game with a more difficult environment to survive in, combined with even more military spawns. It changes the game a lot when high powered scoped rifles are easy to come by but a hatchet or some matches is a godsend. If you like the pvp-kill to survive aspect of dayz, namalsk is your dream map

• Like 1

I'll be modeling a map after my home town and the surrounding area, I look around and see so many tactical opportunities...

(Too bad I can't make the zombies look like my neighbors, or can I?)

I just hope the map system is similar to that of A2/3, so we can port all the existing maps. 

I'm seeing some awesome ideas and even progress in here, though, so we might not even need it  :D

Huge wide open country side with a lot of small farm houses and a few small towns as the main "urban" areas. 

Lots of wilderness, and a lot of variety in the wilderness at that. Mountains and foothills in one part, grasslands in other and swamps and marshes in others.

Most of the loot should come from one and two house settlements. Things would be sparse and foraging/making your own basic gear would be king.

Anyway, wilderness and stuffs, makin your own little huts. Good times.

By the way, if anyone feels up to trying their hand at adding in towns and cities on a map, and actually knows how it all works, I'd be grateful for the help!

I think Washington DC would be pretty cool for a map. Lots of iconic structures. You don't really have to do the whole city, just get the major landmark buildings and features. 

Maybe throwing a Honolulu map in will keep it fresh. 

Now that Origins dev team gave up on their mod, we can steal their shit. There are great looking buildings in that mod, like Mall, School, big supermarket, Powerplant to make industrial area look better...

Now that Origins dev team gave up on their mod, we can steal their shit. There are great looking buildings in that mod, like Mall, School, big supermarket, Powerplant to make industrial area look better...

Riiiiiight... they still own whatever they made, you know?

• Like 1