sobieski12

DayZ Confessions

I'd say this one hits the problem right one the spot, it just shows how pathetic this player base is.

The topic appeared on Reddit. 

Title Be Honest: Do you loot up in empty servers?

The majority supports this. 

Yes, all the time.

I don't typically have a long time to play, and when I do, I don't care to run the risk of running into other people on my own and wasting a couple hours of my time on a given character.

Now, when I'm with my group, and have time to play, we usually hit up high pop servers looking for some trouble.

LOL, people bitch how they have limited time due to real life obligations. But yet have enough time to jump on a full server and kill players after getting fully geared on a dead server, yeah.. ok...  

I had a feeling it's was getting bad, but judging by how many people actually support this ideology it really does surprise me.

---

So I am curious. 

Should military loot be determined by the number of players on a server?

* Risk / Reward system

To prevent such cheap ways in getting fully geared out on dead servers with the sole purpose to just kill players without any risk?

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

No. When the private servers get up, and you got 1 character per server, this wont be a problem. This Risk/reward system would punish and make new and low pop private servers die as the few playing on it would leave and it would never get popular.

If it was a option the admin/owner could choose then i guess it could work. Or if it was only on this "hive" that exists now.

looting nwaf on an empty server running around care free finding your m4, lrs or whatever, and not giving a fuck about alerting zombies, thoughtlessly crossing to the air control tower then without a worry in the world straight up the runway or road to the tents full sprint . i cant imagine a more empty gaming experience, full servers all the way

• Like 2

No. When the private servers get up, and you got 1 character per server, this wont be a problem. This Risk/reward system would punish and make new and low pop private servers die as the few playing on it would leave and it would never get popular.

If it was a option the admin/owner could choose then i guess it could work. Or if it was only on this "hive" that exists now.

"Private Hives" is a totally different subject. 

* Private Hives don't have the problem with server hoppers and warehouse servers.

I am talking about the "Public Hive", and I don't see how this would hurt players.

* It only hurts players that scavenge for high grade military gear on dead servers.

The Risk / Reward system would encourage players to join more populated servers in order to find better gear. 

* The more people, the more risky it's to explore for military gear.

So I am curious. 

Should military loot be determined by the number of players on a server?

* Risk / Reward system

To prevent such cheap ways in getting fully geared out on dead servers with the sole purpose to just kill players without any risk?

No. You shouldnt be able to choose servers at all. More over, the server shouldnt let you know how many players are logged in... The menu should have a "Connect" button and thats it. So you log in and you have no idea whats going on around you. Ive suggested this a while back to prevent this type of problem... but you how this community goes...

• Like 1

No. You shouldnt be able to choose servers at all. More over, the server shouldnt let you know how many players are logged in... The menu should have a "Connect" button and thats it. So you log in and you have no idea whats going on around you. Ive suggested this a while back to prevent this type of problem... but you how this community goes...

There is a couple reasons that would not work. 

* Checking server ping, what if you live in the "West Coast" and get a UK server?

* How would friends join your game.

* How would you select normal from hardcore from just hitting connect.

* How would you select a 30 - 40 max player server

I don't see how my idea is bad, it only punishes people that loot military gear on dead servers and encourages players to join more populated servers.

Edited by Sobieski12

I don't see how my idea is bad, it only punishes people that loot military gear on dead servers and encourages players to join more populated servers.

Because then empty servers will struggle to fill up while full servers will continue to be full. Players will rather wait for an empty slot in a full server than to join an empty one.

* Checking server ping, what if you live in the "West Coast" and get a UK server?

* How would friends join your game.

* How would you select normal from hardcore from just hitting connect.

* How would you select a 30 - 40 max player server

*The game will automatically connect you to a server in your region/with low ping.

*Simple. "Join game" option in steam.

*You're right on that one. But still an exception to choose that category can be made.

*Thats the whole point. You can't know. If you'd know how many players are logged then that will determine the level of your vigilance. which in turn brings people to farm empty servers freely because they know they'r safe. If you take that piece of info away, imagine how paranoid youll be ;). This also will force you to assume the ammount of players by yourself. Which imo is 10x more immersive.

• Like 1

How would this not affect all servers? then how would it not affect private hives? I don't understand. most servers/clients with the same version of the game seems to have the same content. if they didn't i would see weapons and items on the web that i dont have when i play.

How would this not affect all servers? then how would it not affect private hives? I don't understand. most servers/clients with the same version of the game seems to have the same content. if they didn't i would see weapons and items on the web that i dont have when i play.

Private Hives have the simple function of which someone mentioned before, the admin can choose what features to apply to the server. 

* Many old DayZ private hive server had many different modifications.

- An example could be the "DayZ Breaking Point mod" / ArmA 2 version.

This Risk / Reward system would benefit the Public Hive servers more, due to the massive influx of servers, of which most are dead. 

* Thus the whole problem of people gearing up on dead servers.

Private Hives generally don't need a "Risk / Reward system" due to most server owners only having a single server.

Edited by Sobieski12

hes refering to the fact that hive controlled loot would be irreleveant on priavte seing as they have thier own hive (database) the loot and rates on that single server would be easy to adjust by the owner with a bit of coding knowledge. not that there would be different gear.

@ the OP i really dont know what can be done. Im against server hoping but the change away from the Mod's rapidly respawning loot points just encourages it- And this idea the devs have of a "global loot economy" where thier will be fixed amounts of things in circulation across ALL servers conected, will only promote further server hopping.

If player x wants to be a bore and sit at NWAF loot cycling a baracks for six hours i really dont care, and tbh i'd rather see loot cycling come back then all this hoping- that said ultimately if you cant get what you need on server A you will end up trying B, then C, then D and so on till you fidn what you need.

I usually travel the map for more loot. like id visit 3-4 different military bases on one server. then id settle with what i got and use it that play session. it might take time to walk around the map but i like to explore and I like it. I try different routes and go different places all the time. Also If I play a few matches in counter-strike first i don't care about the deathmatch in dayz as much. Its really not that great off a PvP shooting game.

The only time I have ever done this, is to find a few saline bags when someone's in a pinch.

Also If I play a few matches in counter-strike first i don't care about the deathmatch in dayz as much. Its really not that great off a PvP shooting game.

Sounds like some hasnt had proper PvP.  :|

Sounds like some hasnt had proper PvP.  :|

Are you talking about standalone? I guess you haven't had proper pvp.

Are you talking about standalone? I guess you haven't had proper pvp.

You lost me there..

I have to admit I don't really get the whole point of jumping between servers.

I am lucky in that I have quite a lot of free time with which I can do some proper looting and I am able to jump on servers when they aren't too busy. Not that it is an intention I tend to use the same server as I was last on and if that's not up or is full I find the next available one that has the lowest ping (hc/exp only). So perhaps for me finding loot isn't such an issue, but even then I doubt it would take me more than 20 minutes to find a decent setup and a weapon of some sort.

The problem with the game is that there isn't much survival, and no building or hoarding and with the limited weapons and 40 people max on servers it just doesn't seem like there is much point in PvP. I suppose that shows the flexibility of the game even in the Alpha state it is now. I choose to play it as a recreation thing, rather than a PvP, others clearly not, which perhaps explains why the whole jumping between servers in order to loot up is a bit lost on me.

The bottom line? Even if I was to go out PvP, the fun of doing that would be fighting against the limitations of what the server provides you as well as the people on that server. Jumping between them takes away some of that fun, imo. Tooling up somewhere else then dropping myself in to a server and wreaking havoc seems to remove a distinct level of the challenge, but then perhaps that's why people do it. In short they simply aren't good enough to do it from scratch.

• Like 1

I just think that before you consider a change to fix a problem, you should consider how this change affect the final release of the game. We don't know how much/what type of game mechanics and content are to come, we cant see into the future. I think that more game content and mechanics could possibly (but not certain) change/fix KoS and server jumping without the type of changes the OP suggests.(and several other topics on changes/fixes as well)

I would rather have a sickly awesome final released game, than a few more hours of fun game-play in the alpha. In the meanwhile I can do something else, its summer now ffs,, check out the beach!! ^^

LOL, people bitch how they have limited time due to real life obligations. But yet have enough time to jump on a full server and kill players after getting fully geared on a dead server, yeah.. ok...

Its more like skipping the early game and starting the game with a reward without having to earn it. Some people don't get (or don't want to get) that being fully geared should not be the default state but a very rare condition that requires you to find/get the gear and stay alove while doing so.

Its also a cyclic problem: Many people loot up on empty servers and then join populated servers for action. In fact you can usually loot in relative peace on those populated servers because so many players just stick to the coast which is supplied with fresh loot by server restarts and geared players getting killed. Now if you want action you are facing an overpopulation of fully geared players. As those already skipped a major part of the game they get bored and start hunting down other players - who can only hope to get lucky at some point (which takes time) or gear up on empty servers first (which aggravates the issue).

Possible solutions:

- significantly increased server switch times (Beta)

- private hives (Final)

In Alpha it could be fixed but its not really necessary because this phase focuses on game mechanic testing - game dynamics are more relevant from Beta onwards.

• Like 1

for me part of the fun is going on populated servers and still finding everything I need and more.. in a short time. the "I don't have time to gear up" is just a translation for lazy and unimaginative

Edited by SkyPig

This is a demonstration of why "majority opinions" are often awful.

• Like 1

Saying "military loot" is pretty arbitrary, as what encompasses military loot? Specific items (such as the M4A1/AKM, attachments, military clothes/backpacks, etc.) or items that spawn in military buildings (Basically not allowing barracks/ATCs/tents to spawn a lot of loot?)

Even if either of those applied, you can still get plenty of gear from non-military locations (even some civilian buildings spawn military loot). Also, what about medicine, food, ammo, or guns, all of which are in abundance in civilian buildings and hospitals (you could still get enough full energy w/ taloon backpack, antibiotics, blood bags, surplus food/water, a sawed-off IZH-43, pistol, and a scoped & painted SKS/Mosin regardless of military spawns).

The best bet would be to limit all loot spawns, and even then, it doesn't take into account the loot that spawns on server start. No one is there directly when the server starts, but does that mean servers that are going to fill up within minutes should have nothing on them?

I'm not sure how they would script loot spawns based on players anyway, so this solution does not seem very applicable.

Saying "military loot" is pretty arbitrary, as what encompasses military loot? Specific items (such as the M4A1/AKM, attachments, military clothes/backpacks, etc.) or items that spawn in military buildings (Basically not allowing barracks/ATCs/tents to spawn a lot of loot?)

Even if either of those applied, you can still get plenty of gear from non-military locations (even some civilian buildings spawn military loot). Also, what about medicine, food, ammo, or guns, all of which are in abundance in civilian buildings and hospitals (you could still get enough full energy w/ taloon backpack, antibiotics, blood bags, surplus food/water, a sawed-off IZH-43, pistol, and a scoped & painted SKS/Mosin regardless of military spawns).

The best bet would be to limit all loot spawns, and even then, it doesn't take into account the loot that spawns on server start. No one is there directly when the server starts, but does that mean servers that are going to fill up within minutes should have nothing on them?

I'm not sure how they would script loot spawns based on players anyway, so this solution does not seem very applicable.

Once the loot system is in full effect, then yes I would say proceed on with limiting military loot on low pop servers. 

The devs can implement a lower percentage in finding such items depending by player pop. Once a certain number of players join the server, the chances for more military loot to spawn will occur.

isn't loot "generated" when a server restarts`? if so, when a server is restarting it have 0 players online, doesn't it? Loot would have to appear as more players join, and despawn as players leave for this to work. 

Even if what I just said is wrong, I think this idea is just stupid Sobieski12...

Would just like to point out server hopping vs someone playing on low pop servers are not the same thing, and to get mad that some people don't like to play on 40 man servers for whatever reasoning is the sad part about the community not the latter. not everyone enjoys doing the same things the same way thus what made dayz a great game for all.

• Like 3

Would just like to point out server hopping vs someone playing on low pop servers are not the same thing, and to get mad that some people don't like to play on 40 man servers for whatever reasoning is the sad part about the community not the latter. not everyone enjoys doing the same things the same way thus what made dayz a great game for all.

Did you even read?

* You're completely missing the point.

The original post was portraying players that loot on dead servers to go kill players on high pop servers.

* It's cheap strategy to avoid getting killed, of which btw is getting more common

If people like to play on low pop servers, sure go ahead. But if the goal is to safe gear yourself up to go player hunting, it's pathetic.

Thus I brought up the suggestion to limit military loot on low pop servers.