I take it you are one of the players who never uses TeamSpeak ingame.

I don't use teamspeak, myself.

Technically correct, but only because I don't have a clan and I'm not interested in speaking... been playing since Nov. 2012, first spoke to another player Apr. 2014... I play for the pew-pew. I have nothing against Teamspeak, that would be Applejaxc.

But walkie-talkie realism is important to me nonetheless!

• Like 1

Technically correct, but only because I don't have a clan and I'm not interested in speaking... been playing since Nov. 2012, first spoke to another player Apr. 2014... I play for the pew-pew. I have nothing against Teamspeak, that would be Applejaxc.

But walkie-talkie realism is important to me nonetheless!

Yes - but among the 2,000,000 players - it is a great pity to isolate from "the community" the huge number of solo and/or solitary players who do not want to be stuck inside a limited clan group, but want to have communication with other players at some level.

Sidechat was a very useful and involving tool in the mod, and was abused by idiots. A text only sidechat would be the perfect solution for what IS (however realistic) still a multi-player GAME.

The object of the DayZ game is not to emphasise social exclusion.

Yes - but among the 2,000,000 players - it is a great pity to isolate from "the community" the huge number of solo and/or solitary players who do not want to be stuck inside a limited clan group, but want to have communication with other players at some level.

Sidechat was a very useful and involving tool in the mod, and was abused by idiots. A text only sidechat would be the perfect solution for what IS (however realistic) still a multi-player GAME.

The object of the DayZ game is not to emphasise social exclusion.

With an 8 km radius, you could stand in the middle of the map and talk to everyone.

5BH6jyM.png

I also believe there are much more gameplay opportunities hearing someone on your walkie talkieand knowing they are somewhere within 3km than knowing they are "somewhere from Grozovy Pass to Elektro".

Anyways, I also doubt those walkie talkies would have a true range of 8km in Chernarus terrain. 3km radius like Hicks said is fairly far, that is 28 km2.

• Like 1

8km is the maker's claim for "line of sight".

I'd assume 4 or 5 max. as long as no hills or buildings in the way. Probably 1-2 km effective.

I was arguing for something like sidechannel, but without the opportunity for idiots to misuse it, as they did in the mod. So - text only sidechannel.

Clans all use TeamSpeak. From my own experiments I don't think anyone has made use of the range-limited radio, ever.

Edited by pilgrim

Clans all use TeamSpeak. From my own experiments I don't think anyone has made use of the range-limited radio, ever.

Good point.

• Like 1

With an 8 km radius, you could stand in the middle of the map and talk to everyone.

5BH6jyM.png

I also believe there are much more gameplay opportunities hearing someone on your walkie talkieand knowing they are somewhere within 3km than knowing they are "somewhere from Grozovy Pass to Elektro".

Anyways, I also doubt those walkie talkies would have a true range of 8km in Chernarus terrain. 3km radius like Hicks said is fairly far, that is 28 km2.

I agree. Figuring out where people are from chat would be much cooler.

I cannot wait. Finally people can call out for medical help, and ambush each other.. so good. 

That was my first thought.  It would be great to be able to call out for help if bandits are holding key points, until the bandits are the ones calling out for help to draw in their prey :)

I'd like to point out that you will hear the same as you did in the mods side chat

Screaming children and terrible music.

so, turn on the walkie....

turn it to a frequency...

and anyone on that frequency with 30 km can spam, abuse, listen in and meta my direct communication.

this is a nice touch, don't get me wrong.

great for RP and all that.

i'm just trying to find the reason to EVER use this over a VOIP, or even use it at all.

I take it you are one of the players who never uses TeamSpeak ingame.

I don't use teamspeak, myself.

In a perfect world I wouldn't use TS3, but the way things are it's just putting yourself at a silly disadvantage IMO.

Listening to people say, "what would I even do with a means to communicate with players at long range?" is both humorous and sad. Half if the fun I had in the mod was centered around real/fake calls for assistance or challenges to combat at certain areas.

I speculate that one reason the NE corner of the map is the only place frequented is because of how difficult it is too find players anywhere else. People turn to side chat and giving away their position when they get bored; a prolific feeling in dayZ

• Like 1

we need two vertical inventory spaces and LOTS of batteries to keep this thing running, all for a RP-friendly sidechat?

i will just stick to VOIP programs i think.

the potential for griefing and being ghosted are immense in using this over a VOIP.

also, who wants to bet that on every frequency there will be spamming 24/7?

one person spamming one frequency makes that frequency useless.

there will be people spamming EVERY frequency.

Edited by pacpac

I agree that making it like that will make the game look more alive (like in the mod, no sidechat though), and there will be more communication.

Now the bad news.

You trusting people will SO get ambushed 85% of the time.

AND if it's the same way direct communication is, and it's NOT LIKE IN THE MOD;

Then we won't be able to see the name of who's speaking.

This is realistic.

But it is also a PERFECT chance for some view hungry asshole Youtuber troll to destroy people's experience, with no way to detect who is to blame, or for some asshole to just play music on the thing, while unable to be detected.

Now the possibly good news again:

The above option can be discarded IF Bohemia allows admins to have a live little control panel to see who's using the radio chat, with the ability to mute the spamming asshole.

Active admins will be needed though.

sure you just mute anyone that's being a dick, what's the problem?

sure you just mute anyone that's being a dick, what's the problem?

you cant mute the walkie though

only change the frequency.

there are what, 7 or 8 frequencies?

spammers on every one on a high pop.

plus, they need to spawn other than in firestations (there are only 6-8) firestations on the map, maybe less.