toasted duckie

Was I being a dick?

Hey guys, I just want your opinion on this: 

I have a little under 160 hours into the game and recently started playing on hardcore servers. I try to play friendly towards people, and try to completely avoid KoS behavior.

Today I traveled through Chernarus,not seeing a single soul. At some point I traveled back East to Berezino, to see if I could get some interactions, or find a shotgun. As I was looting around, doors were opened, someone might be here... Then I heard voices in the distance... I spotted two well geared players in a building, speaking on direct. I just ran towards them, greeting them: "Hey guys, are you friendly?"  

One of them immediately raised his pistol and aimed at me, foreseeing something like this I ran away. The guy was wearing a gas mask, I promised myself that I won't be nice to people wearing masks. While I hear a mix of English and Russian voices, not directed at me, I run around the building. Now it is important to note that I stashed my gear elsewhere, I only had pants on with a pistol and some rounds in it, I did not have my pistol out, so I must have appeared weaponless to those guys. As I come around the other side of the buildings I can still see the first guy aiming directly at the corner where I disappeared moments earlier. I decide to fire a few rounds at him with my FNX, he drops to the ground.

I run back around, go inside and drop the second guy, in the meantime I can hear the fallen talk in Russian. I quickly grab a Mosin from one of the corpses and check out the rest of the building. There's someone on the top-floor. I run outside and drop a round in his body with my freshly acquired Mosin. When I check his body I notice that he's alive. He wakes up, I pull my pistol out. At this point I'm thinking that this guy might not be part of the group of Russians, which I just killed. I tell him to drop his weapon (he had a .22 in his hands) but he flees into a room, firing one round down the hallway. I negotiate a bit and he complies, puts his weapon away and bandages. While he's doing that I ask him who those guys were, he doesn't know them but says he thinks they were trying to get him. 

Then he asks me if I can give him a Saline bag. I tell him I'm willing to do so, but he has to come with me to a safer place. We run out of Berezino and talk a bit... He's a bit weird and starts complaining that I ruined his Jacket. I just saved his life lol :D 

In the forest I tell him to drop -all- his gear and then come to where I am standing, hopefully decreasing the chances of him betraying me (can people punch you or grab a weapon while you give them a salline IV? I just wanted to be sure). He complains for a while, asking me why I want him to do that. I tell him it's either that, or no IV for him. He eventually complies and I start the IV. At this point I'm really getting the feeling that I should not trust this guy, but all goes well.. When he gathers his gear again he takes a pistol out of his backpack. I raise mine immediately telling him in a forceful way to put the pistol away, now. He complies, says it was an accident. He asks me if we can go to the Airfield (NEAF), but I tell him that I'm going my own way. Then he starts asking me why I'm just ditching him hear and why I'm being so mean... I'm thinking to myself: "How am I mean to this guy, I probably saved his life earlier, gave him the IV, I don't think he ever even thanked me... Don't trust this guy"   So I tell him I'm just gonna go now and run off. He follows me for a bit, so I raise my pistol at him, telling him to run the other way. He does, but after 50-100 m. of running I turn around and see him 50 m behind me in a treeline. I grab my mosin, look at him trough my scope and he raises his hand, like waving goodbye.... This was a real moment of dilemma, because I got the urge to just drop him right there, or maybe scare him away by taking a shot next to him... Before I make a decision he runs off. I continue running away, constantly checking my back. If I see this man at all, even looking in my general direction I'm going to end him. 

After this I didn't see him anymore. I gather the rest of my gear, run off and log out. 
Just thought I'd share my experience, wondering if I'm being too nice, or if I was being too aggressive shooting the 2 guys..

Opinions? :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Less of a dick than someone who would have just let rip with the FNX for getting shot at when the other guy was in fear for his life (so to speak).

I have a little under 160 hours into the game and recently started playing on hardcore servers. I try to play friendly towards people, and try to completely avoid KoS behavior.

Today I traveled through Chernarus,not seeing a single soul. At some point I traveled back East to Berezino, to see if I could get some interactions, or find a shotgun. As I was looting around, doors were opened, someone might be here... Then I heard voices in the distance... I spotted two well geared players in a building, speaking on direct. I just ran towards them, greeting them: "Hey guys, are you friendly?"  

One of them immediately raised his pistol and aimed at me, foreseeing something like this I ran away. The guy was wearing a gas mask, I promised myself that I won't be nice to people wearing masks. While I hear a mix of English and Russian voices, not directed at me, I run around the building. Now it is important to note that I stashed my gear elsewhere, I only had pants on with a pistol and some rounds in it, I did not have my pistol out, so I must have appeared weaponless to those guys. As I come around the other side of the buildings I can still see the first guy aiming directly at the corner where I disappeared moments earlier. I decide to fire a few rounds at him with my FNX, he drops to the ground.

I run back around, go inside and drop the second guy, in the meantime I can hear the fallen talk in Russian. I quickly grab a Mosin from one of the corpses and check out the rest of the building. There's someone on the top-floor. I run outside and drop a round in his body with my freshly acquired Mosin. When I check his body I notice that he's alive. He wakes up, I pull my pistol out. At this point I'm thinking that this guy might not be part of the group of Russians, which I just killed. I tell him to drop his weapon (he had a .22 in his hands) but he flees into a room, firing one round down the hallway. I negotiate a bit and he complies, puts his weapon away and bandages. While he's doing that I ask him who those guys were, he doesn't know them but says he thinks they were trying to get him. 

Then he asks me if I can give him a Saline bag. I tell him I'm willing to do so, but he has to come with me to a safer place. We run out of Berezino and talk a bit... He's a bit weird and starts complaining that I ruined his Jacket. I just saved his life lol :D 

In the forest I tell him to drop -all- his gear and then come to where I am standing, hopefully decreasing the chances of him betraying me (can people punch you or grab a weapon while you give them a salline IV? I just wanted to be sure). He complains for a while, asking me why I want him to do that. I tell him it's either that, or no IV for him. He eventually complies and I start the IV. At this point I'm really getting the feeling that I should not trust this guy, but all goes well.. When he gathers his gear again he takes a pistol out of his backpack. I raise mine immediately telling him in a forceful way to put the pistol away, now. He complies, says it was an accident. He asks me if we can go to the Airfield (NEAF), but I tell him that I'm going my own way. Then he starts asking me why I'm just ditching him hear and why I'm being so mean... I'm thinking to myself: "How am I mean to this guy, I probably saved his life earlier, gave him the IV, I don't think he ever even thanked me... Don't trust this guy"   So I tell him I'm just gonna go now and run off. He follows me for a bit, so I raise my pistol at him, telling him to run the other way. He does, but after 50-100 m. of running I turn around and see him 50 m behind me in a treeline. I grab my mosin, look at him trough my scope and he raises his hand, like waving goodbye.... This was a real moment of dilemma, because I got the urge to just drop him right there, or maybe scare him away by taking a shot next to him... Before I make a decision he runs off. I continue running away, constantly checking my back. If I see this man at all, even looking in my general direction I'm going to end him. 

After this I didn't see him anymore. I gather the rest of my gear, run off and log out. 

Just thought I'd share my experience, wondering if I'm being too nice, or if I was being too aggressive shooting the 2 guys..

Well. Sounds pretty reasonable to me =)

• Like 1

You had your life threatened by a guy with a pistol after stating that you are a friendly.

You killed him and his partner (Which is what I would have done if someone raised a gun at me.) and went off to check out the building, found another dude which gave you some problems but you handled yourself in a professional manner, all went well and you logged off.

So no you weren't being a dick, you did the right thing.

Now if you where being a dick, you would have shot that guy after he took all his gear off, lol...

It's so hard to judge myself, especially because DayZ doesn't allow you to make yourself a cup of tea, then sip your tea while thinking about what to do in a certain situation. NOT making a decision will surely get you killed, huge part of why I LOVE it :D

EDIT: Small question, when can I safely give someone a saline IV? How can I be sure I won't be betrayed and punched to death? 

Edited by Toasted Duckie

It's so hard to judge myself, especially because DayZ doesn't allow you to make yourself a cup of tea, then sip your tea while thinking about what to do in a certain situation. NOT making a decision will surely get you killed, huge part of why I LOVE it :D

EDIT: Small question, when can I safely give someone a saline IV? How can I be sure I won't be betrayed and punched to death? 

Cuff 'em or make them lie prone while you do IV I guess.

You were pretty close to Super Dick Mode...

Just joking. Seems reasonable to me. You were more patient than I would've been.

I've learned that if you have a gun pointed at someone, and you try to get them to comply and they start whining or not doing as you say, than they're untrustworthy. People who comply immediately usually are alright. But people who start making remarks or complaining need to be put down.

But you did good. I would have shot him when I pulled out his pistol. I try to hero but sometimes people are cunts and need to be dropped.

Hey Toasted Duckie, you were even too nice.

By the way, you took a big risk to approach two well geared players in such a way.

Be sure to always have an helmet to protect the head, so that nobody can knock you out when you're giving them an IV or anything else.  With an helmet it's hard to knock someone unconscious in a single blow.  And if they fail the first blow... well... they won't have the time to strike the second.

• Like 1

Shout any cunt that moves if you don't trust them is my motto

Sounds like you handled it very well. I don't think you could have been blamed even if you did kill him after all that. I am sure he wanted to stay with you so he and his friends could kill you.

man you got discipline wish more folks played like you. most would've for one not helped. 2 shot the guy as soon as it got weird.keep up the fine work hope to read more of your encounters.

• Like 1

homeboy wanted to get the drop on you

if you are skilled in dayz, other people are dangerous.(not on Teamspeak or clan)

they are going to try and kill you for your loot.

there is nothing to do with another player you meet them

gear each other, heal each other, loot together, and then... kill each other.

• Like 1

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. This is how I handle my encounters as well, but rarely is it that you get such excitement and intrigue in one encounter. Well done.

• Like 1

man you got discipline wish more folks played like you. most would've for one not helped. 2 shot the guy as soon as it got weird.keep up the fine work hope to read more of your encounters.

Thanks! I might do some recordings in the future, but I don't have a suitable pc for that right now, and I think my voice/English is too annoying for the listener. I also think I'm not skilled enough to provide people with entertaining vids. But most of all; I don't want to do the same thing that everybody else is doing. If it's not going to be unique, I'm not doing it  :D 

homeboy wanted to get the drop on you

if you are skilled in dayz, other people are dangerous.(not on Teamspeak or clan)

they are going to try and kill you for your loot.

there is nothing to do with another player you meet them

gear each other, heal each other, loot together, and then... kill each other.

While leaving Berezino for a safer location to give him the IV, we talked a bit about perhaps heading to the airfield together to loot. But I made up my mind pretty quickly that him and I were going to have to head separate ways. 

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. This is how I handle my encounters as well, but rarely is it that you get such excitement and intrigue in one encounter. Well done.

Thanks for the nice words! Yea I don't think I've ever had an encounter like this, which might be the reason why I could not get a grasp on how I behaved :rolleyes: