Ozelot (DayZ)

Isn't "DayZ" quite possibly the dumbest name ever?

Seriously, who came up with that? You cannot blame "Alpha" on this one. It doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with zombies or even is named after a cool zombie movie. No, it is just the word "Day" and then the letter Z at the end. Boooooring.

I mean, when they went standalone was there seriously no thought at all being given to this one simple truth? They could not have thought up something cool instead of something that sounds like a fourteen year old boy's afterthought while naming his livejournal account...?

Personally, I don't know why anyone would have wanted to buy a game named just "DayZ" if it hadn't been for the mod's fame. It does not sound intimidating or even unique. I really really want to know why no one up to this point ever noticed it and pointed it out. Was it Dean Hall that came up with the name? I am really confused and would like to know the process behind how the name came out. It seems rather ridiculous to me.

• Like 5

The mod's fame is probably why they kept it, why would you discard an already popular brand name?

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 5

"A fanmade conversion, if that name didn't make it obvious, because a professional mod would have run the name by a marketing department, then the marketing department would have punched him in the stomach, but DayZ recently clocked one million players apparently so what the fuck do I know about marketing?"

- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, 2012

Edited by Raoul9753
  • Like 8

Star Citizen's 44 million would like a word with you as well...

Unsure if serious...

Edited by Katana67

Star Citizen's 44 million would like a word with you as well...

Unsure if serious...

Cant wait for that dogfighting mode.

• Like 3

Hello there

Google? wtf? 

Why would anyone want to use a Search engine with a name like that?

Name isn't an issue. And you'v been around long enough to know its derivation and what the devs think of it.

In case you missed it, youve also been around long enough to know where to find the said info.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

After the mod got big DayZ became a brand. You don't just fuck with that. Once you start changing the name and saying "nonono its DayZ but with a new name" that whole thing is lost. People don't see it in the store page and go "Ooo! DayZ is now a full game, wow I used to play that mod ages ago", they just say "oh great look another zombie game..." You'd even get people doubting that the projects are even related, maybe even that Bohemia just built their own ripoff instead of hiring Dean and bringing that entire IP with him.

Either way its just a name. Don't get so worked up over stupid stuff.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 1

Seriously, who came up with that? You cannot blame "Alpha" on this one. It doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with zombies or even is named after a cool zombie movie. No, it is just the word "Day" and then the letter Z at the end. Boooooring.

I mean, when they went standalone was there seriously no thought at all being given to this one simple truth? They could not have thought up something cool instead of something that sounds like a fourteen year old boy's afterthought while naming his livejournal account...?

Personally, I don't know why anyone would have wanted to buy a game named just "DayZ" if it hadn't been for the mod's fame. It does not sound intimidating or even unique. I really really want to know why no one up to this point ever noticed it and pointed it out. Was it Dean Hall that came up with the name? I am really confused and would like to know the process behind how the name came out. It seems rather ridiculous to me.

Maybe you can come up with a better name for it? :)

Because the name is CLEARLY what determines how a game performs right?

Because the name is CLEARLY what determines how a game performs right?

I think she just maybe is board and looking for something to talk about. You cant blame her though it is a rather odd name for a zombie game.

I think she just maybe is board and looking for something to talk about. You cant blame her though it is a rather odd name for a zombie game.

Is it.....

• Like 1

I don;t think it's odd. It makes lots of sense. The day shit went down is the day everything starts over at 0. Z, known as Zed in other countries(famous name for zombies), is a symbol for the number zero. Thus, the name DayZ is made.

Edited by Shadow134
  • Like 2

I don;t think it's odd. It makes lots of sense. The day shit went down is the day everything starts over at 0. Z, known as Zed in other countries(famous name for zombies), is a symbol for the number zero. Thus, the name DayZ is made.

The only other name i can think of that has Day in it currently is Day Of The Dead. Good movie actually to.

call it WarZ...

No we shall call it Super Happy Unicorn No Gore Fun Zone Hobo Land 2014!

I love the name dayz and i think it works, it is obviously short for day zombie, meaning the day the zombies arrived but you dont seem to have looked that deeply into it. Also when i am in game and something annoys me i immediately say 'oh my dayz' and everyone's like ahhh good one so i just stay quite and pretend i made a joke :)

• Like 1

Yeah man, what kind of weenie just takes a word, throws a Z on it and calls it a name? I'm with Ozelot on this one.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 10

No we shall call it Super Happy Unicorn No Gore Fun Zone Hobo Land 2014!

No, we really wont.

I used to like to make DayZ chains whilst lying on the grass sunbathing. I strung together a few hundred of them this one time.. I then proceeded to wrap them around my body and pretended to be king of flower land, my neighbours thought it was quite funny.. so they sprayed me in the face with some weed killer in some kind of mild joking manner, subsequently I lost an eye and half my face is burned like the dude off Batman.

I aint made one since.

Un-True story.

• Like 1

No, we really wont.

So how are all them whales in wales?

You realize im just joking right?

Cant wait for that dogfighting mode.

Soon.™  :D

how can somebody call himself ozelot? what a pathetic, unimaginative and boring individual could possibly think that this succession of letters is even remotely justified shitting into a forum ???

what an irrelevant thread.

yet im wasting my time on it. 

Edited by 27 others
  • Like 3

I honestly do not have any friends on the internet, that when you say DayZ ask "what is that?" or "that sounds stupid". It all goes with the popularity and seniority of the name. 

• Like 1

This is incredibly ironic, as your name is simply Ocelot but with a z instead of a c. How original.

The name may lack any sort of creativity, but its a brand. DayZ is what the mod was called when it had its popularity boom. A standalone title of that mod needs to use the same name so that potential customers know that it is the standalone version of the mod. It is like saying Counter Strike should have changed its name to something else when Valve picked it up and made it into an actual game.

Brand recognition. That is a thing, yaknow?