CANUCKinNZ

Any News on Global Chat?

How about side chat as a server setting? Set up a noob-friendly hive where new players can ask for help, perhaps. Either that or disable it for hardcore servers.

agree, server setting.

off for hardcore servers,

No, shouldn't even be a server setting. It completely ruins the "survival" aspect of DayZ in my opinion, when you're instantly given... essentially... a laptop computer with IM capable of contacting anyone, anywhere, on the map without a shred of consequence. It wholly undercuts in-game non-meta communications mechanics, which are the result of the acquisition of an item (i.e. radios).

Glad it's gone and hope it stays gone. Utterly ridiculous. Simply because something's "popular" doesn't mean it's good (see Justin Bieber and McDonald's).

70% whining about being killed, 10% trolling, 10% entitlement for rides, 5% asking repetitive questions that could be answered by just going to the website, and 5% actual interaction.

Never mind that that lowly 5% of negotiated interaction is an insanely IDIOTIC prospect on global-chat (i.e. in broadcasting your location, status, and/or plans to the entire server).

That's the way it was in the mod, always. I don't want a bright blue 4chan feed grafted to my eyeballs every time I want to play on a populated server.

I piss on your grave side-chat, I piss on your grave.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

No, shouldn't even be a server setting. It completely ruins the "survival" aspect of DayZ in my opinion, when you're instantly given... essentially... a laptop computer with IM capable of contacting anyone, anywhere, on the map without a shred of consequence. It wholly undercuts in-game non-meta communications mechanics, which are the result of the acquisition of an item (i.e. radios).

Glad it's gone and hope it stays gone. Utterly ridiculous. Simply because something's "popular" doesn't mean it's good (see Justin Bieber and McDonald's).

70% whining about being killed, 10% trolling, 10% entitlement for rides, 5% asking repetitive questions that could be answered by just going to the website, and 5% actual interaction.

Never mind that that lowly 5% of negotiated interaction is an insanely IDIOTIC prospect on global-chat (i.e. in broadcasting your location, status, and/or plans to the entire server).

That's the way it was in the mod, always. I don't want a bright blue 4chan feed grafted to my eyeballs every time I want to play on a populated server.

I like the idea of you spawning with one of those adhock wifi communicators.

Mylo_com-1.jpg

Think sony mylo.

Anyone who has it turned on within 2 miles of the player can talk to each other or it can be ignored or turned off.

I like the idea of you spawning with one of those adhock wifi communicators.

Mylo_com-1.jpg

Think sony mylo.

Anyone who has it turned on within 2 miles of the player can talk to each other or it can be ignored or turned off.

And who is maintaining the wifi that they run on?

I am glad side chat is off. It would be completely against the survivor aspect of the game having everyone hooked up on a functioning global network.

• Like 1

There's no need for it and it massively ruins immersion

And who is maintaining the wifi that they run on?

I am glad side chat is off. It would be completely against the survivor aspect of the game having everyone hooked up on a functioning global network.

It is adhoc meaning the device sends out the wifi signal for it to connect on.

They do not rely on any external internet connection they shoot out the signal itself.

Think some handhelds like the psp and 3ds also use adhoc networks to play games between devices.

Think of it as bluetooth, self powered transmission that sends out information. Except with a much longer range.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

100% agreed to every word.

Also on European servers a major part of side chat is "STFU IN RUSSIAN SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY!!1111oneone"

I played the mod a lot recently and you'd be surprised how nice it is to have sidechat, Standalone is so lonely when you're not with your friends and sidechat gave you a chance to risk everything just for somebody to chat with and play with. 

I'd like to see it as an option in the menus I mean if people want to have it, why not? and at the very least we should test it in the ALPHA as it's an alpha.

• Like 2

All they have to do is modify the Walkie Talkies and you have everything we all want.

If you could text with walkies as well as talk, and if there was a global channel people could choose to tune into and if the dang things only took up 1 slot, or could be attached to your vest sort of like your melee sticks to your back that would be optimal.

• Like 2

All they have to do is modify the Walkie Talkies and you have everything we all want.

If you could text with walkies as well as talk, and if there was a global channel people could choose to tune into and if the dang things only took up 1 slot, or could be attached to your vest sort of like your melee sticks to your back that would be optimal.

It'd be nice to spawn with a Walkie Talkie as well. 

• Like 1

Hopefully it's never introduced (even as an option). The original DayZ times where servers didn't have global chat were much better...

It'd be nice to spawn with a Walkie Talkie as well.

And a gun, car, food...

And a gun, car, food...

Wife, Bills, Kids, Taxes..

Global Chat is immersion breaking. We're in the apocalypse, why should we be able to communicate with those on the other side of the map without a walkie talkie or some form of radio?

• Like 2

Global Chat is immersion breaking. We're in the apocalypse, why should we be able to communicate with those on the other side of the map without a walkie talkie or some form of radio?

i also would like to see servsersides/vac possibilities disabling teamspeak, skype or everything else running in background. :D

the only way to speak with others over far distances should be walkie talkies which first needed to be found ingame, need batteries and/or need to be repaired before first using.

Edited by d0pesen

Personally, I'd like SideChat to be a server-side option, however Hardcore Servers should not be able to have Sidechat no matter what.
I imagine that the Sidechat would be something along the lines of what is shown below (click spoiler). It looks neat and tidy, although some prick will end up arguing with another prick who then make other pricks join in on the argument and it'll get real messy.. DayZ Problems.

DayZSideChat2_zps90284344.png

Edited by EnergeticSheep

Side text chat gets the thumbs up for me.  Makes things more interesting from general chit chat, hunting people from giving their coordinates away, making friends, finding yr friends without having to use team speak or something.  Saying that the latter could do with an extra channel as well to add yr friends in.

Global chat in itself sounds like a terrible idea (just my opinion). It ruins the idea of an apocalyptic world if i'm able to instantly communicate with everyone without any drawbacks. Just make it available to those with a radio and call it "Frequency Chat", allowing only those on the same frequency to communicate across the map.

We're in a game. I would rather be able to communicate with people more often then just in the few minutes that they're standing beside me.

I'm pretty sure servers will eventually have the option to have global/side chat.  I personally will not have global/side chat on my server.  As long as it's an option to turn on/off I don't see the issue but again, just another tool to segregate the community.  

We aren't in the apocalypse, we're sitting in front of computers having fun. For some people that's immersion, for others it's having a laugh. I can't understand the mindset of wanting to force everyone to play it your way, particularly from a game that came from the most pliable and moddable of games, it's success, no it's entire existance, is entirely based off the fact that arma 2 could be moulded into whatever game you wanted to play. I'm all for (text) side chat with both server and client on/off switches. If you don't like it switch it off, if you don't like it on for anyone find a server with it switched off globally, whatever - find a server that matches how you want to play but don't try and dictate how everyone else should play, that's weak sauce.

Edited by theirongiant74

i also would like to see servsersides/vac possibilities disabling teamspeak, skype or everything else running in background. :D

the only way to speak with others over far distances should be walkie talkies which first needed to be found ingame, need batteries and/or need to be repaired before first using.

If they do this a TON of actualy organized teams will simply leave. this is perhaps one of the 2 or 3 things that would be a perma delete from drive for me.

We aren't in the apocalypse, we're sitting in front of computers having fun. For some people that's immersion, for others it's having a laugh. I can't understand the mindset of wanting to force everyone to play it your way, particularly from a game that came from the most pliable and moddable of games, it's success, no it's entire existance, is entirely based off the fact that arma 2 could be moulded into whatever game you wanted to play. I'm all for (text) side chat with both server and client on/off switches. If you don't like it switch it off, if you don't like it on for anyone find a server with it switched off globally, whatever - find a server that matches how you want to play but don't try and dictate how everyone else should play, that's weak sauce.

^this. I liked side chat. trolls, banter, flaming and all. it promoted comunity. you knew and talked to the same people all the time on a server- you learned who the flame baiters where, who the troll were, and who the cool bros were. just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean it shouldn't exist.