Audiophobia

Dayz Mod's essence is dead.

Greetings,

It seems that DayZ Mod (I can't speak for the SA, since I haven't played it) has lost it's original intent and atmosphere. 

I remember when people teamed up, questioned a stranger as to whether he was "friendly" or not, scavenged in groups with people on the lookout while others do their job.

Zombies were never a priority, I think that's what's not fulfilling DayZ's full potential, but let's not get to that yet.

Nowadays, I never see anyone taking the time to question someone they've met, I never see any groups, I never see any interaction between any player anymore, it seems as if that aspect was annihilated for whatever the reason may be..could it be the lack of zombies? the lack of challenge and importance accorded to them? Most likely.

What I'm getting at is that DayZ Mod seems to have turned into DayZ Deathmatch, people senselessly shoot anyone they come across without a single interaction or hesitation, people just seem to disregard that aspect of the game (which is one of the primary aspects found in an online survival game).

Obviously, people play as they want, but there is an undeniable decrease in DayZ's essence, the game does not feel like a survival game against the "apocalypse" anymore, it was reduced to a mere Deathmatch in an open world.

I hope this isn't the case for DayZ SA, but I believe something should be done about it, zombies should be very challenging, challenging enough for the game's aspect of "survival" to be exploited to it's fullest with player interaction, teaming up being crucial for the your survival and so on.

Edited by Audiophobia

Was at Balota yesterday, playing the Mod. (private hive, since I couldn't find ANY public hive servers.)

I see a dude getting chased by 20+ zombies

"Dude, ya need help with those?"

"dude?"

"need he-"

*bang*

he stops, being mauled as a result, just to shoot me.

• Like 3

This is a side effect of a community that is made up less and less of newcomers and more of old, cynical bastards. It was inevitable.

• Like 6

I haven't played the DayZ mod two weeks after I registered (August 2012), but I do think the actual "essence" of DayZ is still there. However the fact that this game got a big hype quickly twists and turns the charme and possibilities of the mod.

The huge amount of players getting started with DayZ most likely turned into a "You friendly?"-fest at first. However, as the mod turned into a phenomenom, groups evolved among the "unnamed players", and had themselves advertised on both the DayZ forums and somewhere else. If you are playing DayZ, be it mod or standalone, it might be safe to say that any player already chose a team, clan or anything else he is a part of. Basic, newcomer players might join DayZ mod and SA and are either annected to any group, because there's no chance to survive by yourself now, or hunted and shot as "easy prey".

DayZ might've been an even bigger event if there weren't any forums around, forcing players to seek contact to players and groups ingame. But right now, any whatsoever-group can have its thread posted in the DayZ forums and gather a party. Which is a big mistake in my opinion, as the "first encounter" experience you tried to explain in your post is very important to both group-binding and the roleplay DayZ tries to deliver.

• Like 2

Was at Balota yesterday, playing the Mod. (private hive, since I couldn't find ANY public hive servers.)

I see a dude getting chased by 20+ zombies

"Dude, ya need help with those?"

"dude?"

"need he-"

*bang*

he stops, being mauled as a result, just to shoot me.

Haha, awfully hilarious.

This is a side effect of a community that is made up less and less of newcomers and more of old, cynical bastards. It was inevitable.

Indeed, which is why I'm suggesting a well thought out update that could re-enforce the forgotten aspects of the game.

I believe that making the zombies more challenging would be of great help.

I haven't played the DayZ mod two weeks after I registered (August 2012), but I do think the actual "essence" of DayZ is still there. However the fact that this game got a big hype quickly twists and turns the charme and possibilities of the mod.

The huge amount of players getting started with DayZ most likely turned into a "You friendly?"-fest at first. However, as the mod turned into a phenomenom, groups evolved among the "unnamed players", and had themselves advertised on both the DayZ forums and somewhere else. If you are playing DayZ, be it mod or standalone, it might be safe to say that any player already chose a team, clan or anything else he is a part of. Basic, newcomer players might join DayZ mod and SA and are either annected to any group, because there's no chance to survive by yourself now, or hunted and shot as "easy prey".

DayZ might've been an even bigger event if there weren't any forums around, forcing players to seek contact to players and groups ingame. But right now, any whatsoever-group can have its thread posted in the DayZ forums and gather a party. Which is a big mistake in my opinion, as the "first encounter" experience you tried to explain in your post is very important to both group-binding and the roleplay DayZ tries to deliver.

Good point about the forums but it is inevitable, fan-made forums would have been made in any case.

DayZ Standalone was released way too early. Milions of new DayZ players who haven't played the mod bought the standalone and they saw a deatmatch game with KoS everywhere and the community that will be the people of DayZ in the future are those who were raised on KoS and it will be hard to change their mentality. The devs should have waited with the standalone and release it when there is less deatmatch

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

DayZ Standalone was released way too early. Milions of new DayZ players who haven't played the mod bought the standalone and they saw a deatmatch game with KoS everywhere and the community that will be the people of DayZ in the future are those who were raised on KoS and it will be hard to change their mentality. The devs should have waited with the standalone and release it when there is less deatmatch

exactly... sadly theres no going back now... least not until there are private hives n modding.. then we start seperating the player base into its play styles...

KoS ---> that way plz...

Good point, makes sense.

I played the mod on the official server #3480 and do regularly and it was nothing but friendlies. Even in sidechat, all friendly activity. Go there, #3480.

• Like 1

Greetings,

It seems that DayZ Mod (I can't speak for the SA, since I haven't played it) has lost it's original intent and atmosphere. 

I remember when people teamed up, questioned a stranger as to whether he was "friendly" or not, scavenged in groups with people on the lookout while others do their job.

Zombies were never a priority, I think that's what's not fulfilling DayZ's full potential, but let's not get to that yet.

Nowadays, I never see anyone taking the time to question someone they've met, I never see any groups, I never see any interaction between any player anymore, it seems as if that aspect was annihilated for whatever the reason may be..could it be the lack of zombies? the lack of challenge and importance accorded to them? Most likely.

What I'm getting at is that DayZ Mod seems to have turned into DayZ Deathmatch, people senselessly shoot anyone they come across without a single interaction or hesitation, people just seem to disregard that aspect of the game (which is one of the primary aspects found in an online survival game).

Obviously, people play as they want, but there is an undeniable decrease in DayZ's essence, the game does not feel like a survival game against the "apocalypse" anymore, it was reduced to a mere Deathmatch in an open world.

I hope this isn't the case for DayZ SA, but I believe something should be done about it, zombies should be very challenging, challenging enough for the game's aspect of "survival" to be exploited to it's fullest with player interaction, teaming up being crucial for the your survival and so on.

The same ppl that turned Warz into a death match now infest this game and kill it as well. Its apparently more infested with KOS kids than i was thinking but nothing can be done. You cant use a bug bomb on these brats.

• Like 1

I played the mod on the official server #3480 and do regularly and it was nothing but friendlies. Even in sidechat, all friendly activity. Go there, #3480.

I'll give it a go but nonetheless, a few servers is not enough to overcome the severity of this problem.

I'm a newcomer to the standalone and the first thing that I did was kill. Every opportunity I got to shoot anyone, I took it.

When I finally started teaming up (even if I was making a team of bandits) it made the game so much more fun.

DayZ isn't about teaming up for good, it's about teaming up period. By playing by yourself, you're (not you specifically) missing the whole point of this game and will not "win".

I haven't played the mod but by seeing what you've said, I can tell that people are acting the way I was like.

If you're not having fun on the mod get the standalone, there's a ton more  people willing to cooperate. 

• Like 1

you're (not you specifically) missing the whole point of this game and will not "win".

What is the point?

And how do you win?

Time to destroy people.

What is the point?

And how do you win?

The point of the game is teamwork and cooperation. There surviving and looting but it's all that held together by teamwork. There really isn't winning in this game it more so thriving or simply surviving.

Mod is super friendly on most servers I play on. I don't know how it used to be.

Edited by scriptfactory

The thing is that almost no servers with the original feeling exist anymore. Even though I am working on the project I still play and I still get the feeling out of it when playing.

Fact is that most servers these days are either not even DayZ Mod to start with (Epoch isn't anywhere near what DayZ is supposed to be) or they were changed beyond all recognition. The server owners eventually figured out how they could change almost anything and with the sheer amount of tutorials out there to change absolutely everything about the game, starting from Barracks in Balota, up until changing the complete lootbias doesn't leave any space for the actual DayZ experience.

These days you will have to search hard to find a server that is actually the way DayZ Mod is supposed to be and that's mostly the serveradmin's faults. Everyone is so keen on their personal, unique experience (may that be the players or - what I think is the bigger part - the admins) that DayZ was changed completely.

• Like 4

Indeed, that's because we all KNOW the game alright. Remember those first days? waking up in a coast of a country you don't know? not knowing where the loot was going to spawn, not knowing the better places, not knowing the best gear, the zombie behaviour, the map...All those things made DayZ a great game, but we all know that alright...

I'd suggest a new map and a new kind of zombies...I'm not talking about special infected but REAL zombies...slow stupid moaning zombies looking for human flesh. They slowly chase you but in a BIG number...I'm talking huge ammounts, like in Dead Frontier or Resident Evil 3

The thing is that almost no servers with the original feeling exist anymore. Even though I am working on the project I still play and I still get the feeling out of it when playing.

Fact is that most servers these days are either not even DayZ Mod to start with (Epoch isn't anywhere near what DayZ is supposed to be) or they were changed beyond all recognition. The server owners eventually figured out how they could change almost anything and with the sheer amount of tutorials out there to change absolutely everything about the game, starting from Barracks in Balota, up until changing the complete lootbias doesn't leave any space for the actual DayZ experience.

These days you will have to search hard to find a server that is actually the way DayZ Mod is supposed to be and that's mostly the serveradmin's faults. Everyone is so keen on their personal, unique experience (may that be the players or - what I think is the bigger part - the admins) that DayZ was changed completely.

But you can't really blame them for what they're doing, since the customizability is as unrestricted, people will inevitably exploit that and make the game more/less interesting. 

Also, most mods don't take away from the essence of DayZ, they rather enhance it, give it a different feeling, a different degree of intensity, but the essence always remains the same.

Epoch could be considered more challenging, but in no way does it detract from DayZ's essence, the players do.

Indeed, that's because we all KNOW the game alright. Remember those first days? waking up in a coast of a country you don't know? not knowing where the loot was going to spawn, not knowing the better places, not knowing the best gear, the zombie behaviour, the map...All those things made DayZ a great game, but we all know that alright...

I'd suggest a new map and a new kind of zombies...I'm not talking about special infected but REAL zombies...slow stupid moaning zombies looking for human flesh. They slowly chase you but in a BIG number...I'm talking huge ammounts, like in Dead Frontier or Resident Evil 3

Didn't DayZ have a performance issue with how many zombies were spawned?

I'm actually opting for the opposite, very fast and deadly zombies, "special infected", that'll make people stop and realize that they actually need to team-up to survive and that being a lone wolf will cost you a lot.

Edited by Audiophobia

That. None of the people I know from the mod is playing SA right now.

We just wait till it gets half decent and fill our time with Breaking Point.

• Like 1

I just recently bought a Dayz Origins server but im loving it. Kept it vanilla though so full day night cycle no adjustments to loot or free blood regen crap like that. I think modding can be ok as long as it dosn't completely destroy the concept of the game. I tried Epoch but i wasnt a big fan of all the cars EVERYWHERE you go in game.

Origins is like that. They added in  quite a few different zombie skins they still run but dont have like super spider sensitive hearing and seeing bullshit though ether. Plus allot of them have like dismembered arms, axes stuck in there heads and back, chewed off flesh down to the bones, knives in eye sockets, you know some real horrifying looks. If you dont mind the running the variety is really nice. And the map isn't even Chernarus its Taviana. Cities and towns are never quite the same though ether.

Edited by Deathlove

._. Ummm shouldn't this be moved to the DayZ Mod discussion?

._. Ummm shouldn't this be moved to the DayZ Mod discussion?

I thought so to but there also talking about SA so whatever.

I thought so to but there also talking about SA so whatever.

I see loads of Mod talk.. :P