MikeRWolf

Transparent walls

So, I guess the status of the "flashlights through walls" issue has been closed on the bugtracker.

Hello everyone,
The devs had a look at the issue and unfortunately, at this point and time it is indeed not possible to fix it due to engine limitations.
Regards,
JStewart 2014-05-19 14:55 JStewart Note Added: 0053954 2014-05-19 14:55 JStewart Status reviewed => closed"

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/25y1e5/i_just_received_some_incredibly_disappointing/

While most of the responses on Reddit are pretty rough and unreasonable, I think it's very unfortunate that this issue cannot be remedied at this time.

What are your thoughts?

I definitely think that this issue should be remedied eventually if at all possible (seems not at this juncture), and, am curious as to whether a change in the renderer will affect any of this. I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of the engine.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I really think this is about the time where people HAVE to start seeing the direction this game is going...

This is fucking bullshit but I figured it would happen because the engine DayZ is based on is a disappointment. They are already putting in so much work to get the engine in decent shape they shouldn't really invest time in a mode that no one wants to play anyway.

Solution: Get rid of flashlights. Moon always out. Done.

Not realistic but fuck realism when the engine is broken.

Isnt it strange that the sunlight gets blocked by trees, you can see your lights during the day now.. and they cannot fix the light through walls issue? 

I mean I can live with it as its always been in dayz, but it seems strange to only have those particular limitations.

Merged.

In your quote you missed the most important bit:

at this point in time

This means at this very moment, but that does not mean that it won't change in the future.

• Like 4

I really think this is about the time where people HAVE to start seeing the direction this game is going...

Err, I hardly think it's indicative of a "direction."

It's one single issue.

Either they can do it at this particular time, or they can't.

Edited by Katana67

I guess Arma 3 will have the same issue... Nice.

I'll be completely honest.

Theese are very dissapointing news.

The light going through walls is a gamebreaking bug and needs to be fixed

If it is never fixed then none will bother playing at night time.

Merged.

In your quote you missed the most important bit:

at this point in time

This means at this very moment, but that does not mean that it won't change in the future.

That dosen't sound very reasurring tbh.

This is a very serious bug,it should be on the priority list rather than leaving it for the future.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

I thought Rocket talked about this a few months back and already expressed how difficult it would be to fix.

Light sources: resolving the collision/leaking issues with light sources would be incredibly difficult and largely unusable at the moment

Recap from Eurogamer on 20th Feb?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175718-detailed-information-summary-from-rockets-eurogamer-live-stream/

not seeing lights through walls will be very, very hard to fix

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xekoj/recap_of_rockets_stream/

Recap from a stream he did 9th Feb

You'd have to watch the full streams to see exactly what he mentioned.

Also a quote from 6 months ago

Fully dynamic lighting might simply be too complex for the scene. But we will examine this soon and see.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1qkjnp/quick_question_will_the_lights_finally_cast_real/cde36xe

• Like 4

-snip-

Yeah, the fact that it's difficult certainly isn't news. I do recall Rocket discussing the issue. But they haven't been as clear in the past, as closing the bug ticket and saying "this isn't possible at this time."

I'm interested in hearing some information from the developers regarding this, would be nice to know why it's unfeasible at this time.

• Like 1

This does not bode well for the game.

If they cannot fix this I cant help but imagine so many of the other games "bugs" such as the FOV affecting magnification being fixed.

This does not bode well for the game.

If they cannot fix this I cant help but imagine so many of the other games "bugs" such as the FOV affecting magnification being fixed.

For one, this is one issue... which for all you/we know, is wholly different from the FOV issue. Acting like this one instance is somehow indicative of a trend, is disingenuous.

Second, if you're using a fisheye FOV which allows you to see out the back of your head, you should suffer some sort of penalty over someone who is using a reasonable FOV. 

For one, this is one issue... which for all you/we know, is wholly different from the FOV issue. Acting like this one instance is somehow indicative of a trend, is disingenuous.

Both are engine limitations. That is why I grouped them together.

Second, if you're using a fisheye FOV which allows you to see out the back of your head, you should suffer some sort of penalty over someone who is using a reasonable FOV.

Wtf is this shit ? you are trying to justify a game breaking bug by saying people who need to play at high FOVs due to multi monitor set ups or high resolutions should have some kind of penalty ?

A weapons magnification should remain the same for everyone regardless of their FOV setting.

If you press Num+ or Num- the camera appears to zoom in or out altering your fov. This increases the zoom.

I think they should fix it by giving 7.62X51 better wall penetration. :)

Both are engine limitations. That is why I grouped them together.

Wtf is this shit ? you are trying to justify a game breaking bug by saying people who need to play at high FOVs due to multi monitor set ups or high resolutions should have some kind of penalty ?

A weapons magnification should remain the same for everyone regardless of their FOV setting.

Not justifying it, I'm saying folks who use graphics settings to their advantage shouldn't be an accepted norm.

You're artificially tweaking your graphics settings to see more than someone else.

If you're not okay with third person looking around corners, then you can't be in support of FOV's which allow you to SEE more than others in first-person without being hypocritical. It's the same concept. Both provide an artificially enhanced view.

Not justifying it, I'm saying folks who use graphics settings to their advantage shouldn't be an accepted norm.

You're artificially tweaking your graphics settings to see more than someone else.

If you're not okay with third person looking around corners, then you can't be in support of FOV's which allow you to SEE more than others in first-person without being hypocritical. It's the same concept. Both provide an artificially enhanced view.

People who have higher FOVs do not do it to gain an advantage often times it is needed to not get motion sickness.

This is especially important when people play with ultra high resolutions or large monitors.

I personally have a 27 inch 1440p screen, low FOV simply do not work for me I get motion sick. high FOV does not give me any advantage what so ever it merely makes the game playable.

FOV settings cannot be compared to 3pp wall peeking how are they even remotely the same. FOV settings are a staple of pc gaming man. Different monitors and different resolutions have an ideal FOV.

Locking everyone at say 70 FOV would work fine for smaller monitors and lower resolutions but would look horrible on larger monitors.

I really hope this is not the start of many. I mean its light going through walls, the whole point of the SA was to do what the mod couldn't due the engine. And now they have access to that engine and we still have limitations.

Also for "at this time" I really doubt they are going to be playing around with this ever again. Screams damage control. 

• Like 1

FOV settings cannot be compared to 3pp wall peeking how are they even remotely the same. FOV settings are a staple of pc gaming man. Different monitors and different resolutions have an ideal FOV.

Both allow you to see more than others not using the same settings.

Simply because one's more common and one's not doesn't make it okay.

I don't care about what monitors folks have, I care about how adjusting one's FOV affects gameplay. Just as I care about how gamma affects gameplay, how ATOC affects gameplay, and how 3PV/1PV affects gameplay.

Maybe the engine is indeed bad guys.

I don't know...i have been defending it but as the top comment on reddit reads...

What a complete and utter disappointment. I'm afraid the first of many.

The entire point of the standalone project was supposed to be creating a new engine for DayZ that could break the limitations of the ARMA engine which made it so difficult to do things in the mod.

And after the monumental effort of the team - after nearly 2 years of work - we've got an engine that can't even reflect lights off of surfaces? A problem that was solved in like 1999?

I'm trying to be somewhat diplomatic, but the only word that I can think of right now is "clusterfuck."

If the engines "stumbles" when facing problems with lighting,then what would happen when more advanced features come in the picture?

• Like 3

Surely a kick in the nuts. What I'm wondering is why even close that report and cause a giant shit storm. Wouldn't it just be easier to let people keep reporting on it and act like you're working on it? I often defend this game, but the devs deserve all the criticisms they get on this one (except for the people yelling death threats on Reddit, those people need meds).

• Like 1

Surely a kick in the nuts. What I'm wondering is why even close that report and cause a giant shit storm. Wouldn't it just be easier to let people keep reporting on it and act like you're working on it? I often defend this game, but the devs deserve all the criticisms they get on this one (except for the people yelling death threats on Reddit, those people need meds).

Yeah, someone slipped up

Yeah, someone slipped up

Atleast they are being honest.

Outright telling the community that this cannot be fixed is far better than letting it go on and never fixing it.

• Like 1