Sign in to follow this  
BAMO4O

Sanity/rationale/crazy meter to encourage player interaction?

So I was just watching a PsiSyndicate video about the new ARMA3 2017 MOD. I therefore make no claim to have thought this up, I also did a quick search and this may have been mentioned before now, apologies if so. Basically your game gets tougher (more scary) if you don't interact with other players - w.r.t. ARMA 3 MOD. How this is implemented in the ARMA3 MOD I don't know.

However, I do believe a similar system may be used in DAYZ to reduce KOS/encourage more player interaction.

Basically I think we should have an in/sanity meter - similar to blood/health/water/food etc. By interacting with players killing them, cuffing them, swapping items, chatting, running in a group (proximity) you affect your sanity either for the positive or negative. It is a zombie apocalypse after all!

There would obviously have to be some minor benefit/deficit to game play as either/both bandit/hero play styles.

Again I'd love to hear suggestions as to how this may be implemented. Maybe the idea is a turd, but it is supposed to be a survival game during a time of zombie apocalypse your mental state would clearly be affected. 

What do you lot think?

• Like 11

Beans. I  want something like this. The way it is is just unrealistic and sad. Be prepared to be jumped on by people who only see this game as a deathmatch though, and don't want it as anything more.

So make DayZ more like Silent Hill?

• Like 1

Maybe the idea is a turd

• Like 1

It depends honestly, I can see someone going for about 3 weeks with no human contact. But after about a month, you will start to lose it. I also like the idea of different KINDS of interacting also helping it. I.E assiting people helps u, killing them not so much. 

AKA, I would like to go for a decent amount of time without seeing a single soul. 

Oh, just a thought, you need something that will force large groups to interact with other people. I.E your sanity could still be affected negatively if you see the same people for a large amount of time. 

Beans. I  want something like this. The way it is is just unrealistic and sad. Be prepared to be jumped on by people who only see this game as a deathmatch though, and don't want it as anything more.

Thanks. I envision a way where there could be a cost or benefit to adopting any of the playstyles. I know some form of character progression has been talked about but how difficult it would be to implement would be a question for designers/programmers I guess.   

So basicly it won't affect anyone who is playing in a group of people anyway? And why'd your sanity drop if you are with the same people, does your wife make you crazy? :D No seriously, that sounds kind of artificial if the same people dont increase your sanity.

Edited by Khanarac

So make DayZ more like Silent Hill?

Unfortunately I haven't played Silent Hill :blush: . How is it similar?

So basicly it won't affect anyone who is playing in a group of people anyway? And why'd your sanity drop if you are with the same people, does your wife make you crazy? :D No seriously, that sounds kind of artificial if the same people dont increase your sanity.

Suppose it could be the variety of people. Too much of a good thing ya know...including the wife. I'm not sure I agree, the same people all the time would drive me demented - in real life of course - this probably doesn't transcend the video game world.

The sanity/insanity meter has been discussed a few times, it never turns out good. Some people detest the idea of interacting with other players and feel that the sanity meter is just an artificial way to make them play nice. There are no more heroes or bandits, just survivors. Sure people play to help, some to hinder progress but the game is what you make of it. I'm not sure you will be able to reduce the kosing even with the proposed sanity meter, its just a play style people choose. Is it wrong? Nah, its just frustrating when it happens but gear is simple enough to get and try to get back into the hunt. Beans to you for wanting something different in Dayz, I just don't think you will get many to go along with it

• Like 1

The problem with the sanity bar is that remove a little of the unique personality of the players and FORCES interactions.. they need to be done NATURALLY.

I think the sanity idea may be used like.. if you are running away from a horde of mindless hunger zombies, you would run WAY FASTER than usual.. the human body works that way. 

Edited by pdsfilho

I'm a veteran of pen and paper roleplaying as I think some (many) people in this community might be as well.

The answer to that is not a game mechanic. It's roleplaying.

If you want to be a good guy, be good and careful your ass anyway. If you want to be bad, so be it too, but just roleplay your character and his sanity too.

You can roleplay everything you want and that's the magic of P&P roleplaying games. The interface is not a fucking program with limitations and things you can do and others you can't. The interface (we call him game master) is a person who can adapt the events and world reactions to every single thing the characters are doing. On the other side the players can make their character do absolutely everything they want and this, there's no one video game able to do it yet.

So now, we are talking about video game and so we have to follow the program mechanic.

Dayz not allow our character to do everything we want it to do, but the game give us some great opportunity for roleplaying especially with the free talking feature. So now if you want to play a normal guy or a crazy guy or a guy starting normal and going little by little to craziness, the better way is to roleplay it on your own. Hard first but really enjoyable, you can trust me.

As example I had this long a character who been a normal survivor (my first character), I got a Bosozoku Bandit (japanese motorcycle gang man) all wear in leather and black, fucking walking in the middle of the street in villages shooting zombies after zombies with his sawed off because he just don't give a shit about anyone and anything (This one was kind of crazy... unfortunately he died going up a ladder... not a glorious death for a guy like him... hehe fucking ladders), and now I have a UN medic girl left for dead by her squad and trying to find some friendly survivors and help the other anyway.

So the choice is yours.

Edited by massacrorBKK

While in the 2017 mod the addition of a sanity meter feels intreasting,i don't think

it should be implemented in DayZ.We need something to drive people to interact with

one another in order to cover their nessecairy survival needs(building shelter,player proffesions-skills,security,etc),and not because the fear of losing your sanity.I still argue,that the answer to player interaction would be that players should be better in a trade of their choice than others.

I'm not talking of a menu to choose skills and caps and blah blah generic rpg bs.Having the choice of training your survivor,on all fields without restrictions but very time consuming so force the players to master a specific trade of their own preferance more than the others.

(Eg:I'm a skilled fisherman with basic knowledge of carpentry)

im against teh idea of anything at all being forced onto the player, anything you feel in game should be because thats how you are feeling

no sanity meter... the best thing about dayz is that it isnt like other games so how about we just leave this game alone when there are so many other games that have these common features... lets just let one game not have all that crap - dayz

Having artificial mental effects would ruin the game. No, I don't want to be told by the game what I'm thinking.

So I was just watching a PsiSyndicate video about the new ARMA3 2017 MOD. I therefore make no claim to have thought this up, I also did a quick search and this may have been mentioned before now, apologies if so. Basically your game gets tougher (more scary) if you don't interact with other players - w.r.t. ARMA 3 MOD. How this is implemented in the ARMA3 MOD I don't know.

However, I do believe a similar system may be used in DAYZ to reduce KOS/encourage more player interaction.

Basically I think we should have an in/sanity meter - similar to blood/health/water/food etc. By interacting with players killing them, cuffing them, swapping items, chatting, running in a group (proximity) you affect your sanity either for the positive or negative. It is a zombie apocalypse after all!

There would obviously have to be some minor benefit/deficit to game play as either/both bandit/hero play styles.

Again I'd love to hear suggestions as to how this may be implemented. Maybe the idea is a turd, but it is supposed to be a survival game during a time of zombie apocalypse your mental state would clearly be affected. 

What do you lot think?

A big fat NO, why would we want to reduce KoS? It is the most common form of play therefore the most popular. The idea of positive.negative buffering has been discussed to death and the answer is no thanks.

Beans. I  want something like this. 

Well play 2017 then, simple.

Maybe the idea is a turd

Just in case OP missed it the first time

A big fat NO, why would we want to reduce KoS? It is the most common form of play therefore the most popular. The idea of positive.negative buffering has been discussed to death and the answer is no thanks.

You are the kind of death matcher I was talking about. Why don't *you* go play CoD? Hmmm? If the only thing you can say is 'go play x game', maybe you should?

Edited by Amias Free

You are the kind of death matcher I was talking about. Why don't *you* go play CoD? Hmmm? If the only thing you can say is 'go play x game', maybe you should?

CoD? Cause I don't think I would like that game. I said 2017 because it has all the elements you are wanting. I wasn't being a smart ass but clearly even someone trying to help you gets you riled up. You are trying to change DayZ into a game that you want, when there is a game already available with what you want.

CoD? Cause I don't think I would like that game. I said 2017 because it has all the elements you are wanting. I wasn't being a smart ass but clearly even someone trying to help you gets you riled up. You are trying to change DayZ into a game that you want, when there is a game already available with what you want.

I guess I'll just troll every suggestion thread saying 'oh you want cars? oh you should just play GTA' then.

:emptycan:

• Like 1

I guess I'll just troll every suggestion thread saying 'oh you want cars? oh you should just play GTA' then.

:emptycan:

Oh yeah, because a survival mod inspired by DayZ made in more or less the same engine is totally the same as GTA?

That's a lot of negativity. You must be a KoS CoD Kiddie. The reason it's the most common playstyle is because idiots who don't know how to do anything else are the only ones who do it. AKA KoS CoD Kiddies. If you're so bored that there's nothing else to do but piss off the entire community for days at a time, odds are CoD is more your speed. Go annoy your own people.

Personally, I expect a little bit of KoS here and there. But not for hours and hours and hours at a time with no repercussions. The survivors are being punished while the jerkoffs sit on their perches and get rewarded with the satisfaction that they've just completely pissed off 20+ people? Seriously? That's why you morons pay 30$ for a game? I'm sorry, what? This is called a SURVIVAL game. Not @#$%ing Call of Douchebags or Battlefield! Killing every single person you see on sight adds nothing to the game! In fact you people ruin the game for others.

There's... what 3 servers I used to play on? They went dead for like 3 weeks because this one group of assholes set up on sniper points overlooking every airfield and major coastal town and killed everyone who logged on to play for 3 days straight. Eventually 2 or 3 people came back every once in a while (myself included) when we saw that 0 people were on. But the servers were empty for THREE WEEKS because of you asshats. I can only imagine how irritated the server renters were. You wasted their money for a month. If it was your own server, fine. Do what you want, it's your money. But when no one logs on and your server is empty for weeks/months you'll get pissed off that you're wasting money because you forced everyone off your server. Think a little bit about the servers before you guys start indiscriminately slaughtering the population. That's exactly why Rust servers started going dead. Don't cause that shit here. It's pathetic and unwarranted.