Sign in to follow this  
BAMO4O

Sanity/rationale/crazy meter to encourage player interaction?

That's a lot of negativity. You must be a KoS CoD Kiddie. The reason it's the most common playstyle is because idiots who don't know how to do anything else are the only ones who do it. AKA KoS CoD Kiddies. If you're so bored that there's nothing else to do but piss off the entire community for days at a time, odds are CoD is more your speed. Go annoy your own people.

Personally, I expect a little bit of KoS here and there. But not for hours and hours and hours at a time with no repercussions. The survivors are being punished while the jerkoffs sit on their perches and get rewarded with the satisfaction that they've just completely pissed off 20+ people? Seriously? That's why you morons pay 30$ for a game? I'm sorry, what? This is called a SURVIVAL game. Not @#$%ing Call of Douchebags or Battlefield! Killing every single person you see on sight adds nothing to the game! In fact you people ruin the game for others.

There's... what 3 servers I used to play on? They went dead for like 3 weeks because this one group of assholes set up on sniper points overlooking every airfield and major coastal town and killed everyone who logged on to play for 3 days straight. Eventually 2 or 3 people came back every once in a while (myself included) when we saw that 0 people were on. But the servers were empty for THREE WEEKS because of you asshats. I can only imagine how irritated the server renters were. You wasted their money for a month. If it was your own server, fine. Do what you want, it's your money. But when no one logs on and your server is empty for weeks/months you'll get pissed off that you're wasting money because you forced everyone off your server. Think a little bit about the servers before you guys start indiscriminately slaughtering the population. That's exactly why Rust servers started going dead. Don't cause that shit here. It's pathetic and unwarranted.

Lol someone's upset. 

That's a lot of negativity. You must be a KoS CoD Kiddie. The reason it's the most common playstyle is because idiots who don't know how to do anything else are the only ones who do it. AKA KoS CoD Kiddies. If you're so bored that there's nothing else to do but piss off the entire community for days at a time, odds are CoD is more your speed. Go annoy your own people.

Personally, I expect a little bit of KoS here and there. But not for hours and hours and hours at a time with no repercussions. The survivors are being punished while the jerkoffs sit on their perches and get rewarded with the satisfaction that they've just completely pissed off 20+ people? Seriously? That's why you morons pay 30$ for a game? I'm sorry, what? This is called a SURVIVAL game. Not @#$%ing Call of Douchebags or Battlefield! Killing every single person you see on sight adds nothing to the game! In fact you people ruin the game for others.

There's... what 3 servers I used to play on? They went dead for like 3 weeks because this one group of assholes set up on sniper points overlooking every airfield and major coastal town and killed everyone who logged on to play for 3 days straight. Eventually 2 or 3 people came back every once in a while (myself included) when we saw that 0 people were on. But the servers were empty for THREE WEEKS because of you asshats. I can only imagine how irritated the server renters were. You wasted their money for a month. If it was your own server, fine. Do what you want, it's your money. But when no one logs on and your server is empty for weeks/months you'll get pissed off that you're wasting money because you forced everyone off your server. Think a little bit about the servers before you guys start indiscriminately slaughtering the population. That's exactly why Rust servers started going dead. Don't cause that shit here. It's pathetic and unwarranted.

Hahahah. People like you are why I KoS, it fills my heart with glee.

• Like 1

Lol, After reading his post I jumped straight into a game of DayZ... I wasn't even going to play today hahaha

A big fat NO, why would we want to reduce KoS? It is the most common form of play therefore the most popular. 

Red orchestra

Red orchestra 2/Rising storm

Call of duty

Batlefield

Just unistall dayz and go to play these games please.

No forget about the first two, they are too much mature for you. 

Edited by Edoissimo
  • Like 1

See... that's what I mean. Morons like you derive pleasure from ruining someone else's time playing the game. Why did you bother paying 30$ for a game just to piss people off? What point are you trying to make? "Oh look at me I'm an internet tough guy! I'll slaughter everyone all day long because it makes me giggle." What are you, an inbred southerner? Grow the fuck up already. Jesus.

Edited by Baklavah

See... that's what I mean. Morons like you derive pleasure from ruining someone else's time playing the game. Why did you bother paying 30$ for a game just to piss people off? What point are you trying to make? "Oh look at me I'm an internet tough guy! I'll slaughter everyone all day long because it makes me giggle." What are you, an inbred southerner? Grow the fuck up already. Jesus.

Hahahah, keep it comin' :D

Hmm, I kind of like the idea.

But I don't like how it forces me to be with people, I'm not a people person so why should I have to be in the game? I should be able to essentially play as myself(if that makes sense)

I don't need people to be sane would rather just have a dog if I was in the DayZ world.

I do plan to get a headset and try to talk to people but will probably always be more of a lone wolf who occasionally talks to people who seem nice.

Maybe it could be on hardcore? As long as it wasn't forced on to everyone I'd be all for it.

Actually yeah when they add in companion animals maybe they could help too if it worked like that then it'd be fine for me and others like me and also it should be a status of many factors not just human interaction, interaction just being the best "cure"

I expect to be trolled one way or another, but this is a topic I continually see raised and one that offers us a deeply disturbing insight to the human mind. The short answer to your questions is that people play a game that allows them to "piss people off" because they have serious mental difficulties with which they are unable to come to terms with. To whit, most of these people would have at one time been classified as suffering from Sadistic Personality Disorder, and although this is no longer considered a disorder in-and-of-itself, it's still illuminating to use as an example.

SPD is often found alongside other common disorders, such as Conduct Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personal Disorder and many more. The last two are especially illuminating, as they run hand in hand with the archetype of the computer nerd living in his mother's basement.

When you think you have discovered someone who behaves with the call signs of any of these disorders, your best bet is to completely disengage from them. All the above listed disorders allow for disassociation, enabling these individuals to no longer see their victim as a human being. It's an interesting theorem; if it's correct, then DayZ will fail as a social game.

I hope it's incorrect.

itt: kitchen psychology

Lol, it's the last refuge of the truly inept. Because a game like this quickly highlights that they have no way of competing on a level playing, they resort to name calling, belittling and trying to psychoanalyse people they have never met. It's different and weird to them and anyone who doesn't fit there player profile is clearly mentally deranged. It's basically BPD (Borderline personality disorder) LOOOOL!

Edited by NexVentor

Xant and NexVentor... you call us inept, yet you're the ones who are acting like lunatics in a game to satisfy your own egos. Far as I can tell, Natural Selection missed you guys. Humanity's downward spiral will have people like you at its core.

Acting like tough guys through a screen is all well and good, but what are you going to do when you actively piss someone off who's got some extreme mental issues and decides to hunt you down? It's not impossible to think of, considering some of the sick things that have happened in the world.

The reason I call you KoS CoD Kiddies out isn't mainly out of anger... it's more out of frustration and the fact that you people lack tact. Use your heads a little will you? If you want to mindlessly shoot guns at people so that you can feel tough, go play CoD or Titanfall. Leave us out of it.

If scripts should simulate the player's mental state when playing the game, why have players at all? Why not replace them with bots? It would be much easier to control "player" behavior then.

If scripts should simulate the player's mental state when playing the game, why have players at all? Why not replace them with bots? It would be much easier to control "player" behavior then.

Why not let everyone fly around with jet packs and lasers?

I mean... I'm not hungry irl, but my character will die if I don't feed it. Why are they trying to control us players?

Why not let everyone fly around with jet packs and lasers?

I mean... I'm not hungry irl, but my character will die if I don't feed it. Why are they trying to control us players?

DayZ can not affect you physically by making you hungry or thirsty or full, or shooting you, or whacking you in the head with a baseball bat.

But playing the game does affect your mental state, it can terrify or excite you, it can make you feel gratitude or remorse. And that's its main strength - the adrenaline rush in combat, the mix of emotions you don't get in other shooters or RPG's. Having to read someone by their actions and the sound of their voice, not knowing whether to trust them, without the help of a big red marker that says "THIS GUY IS EVIL!" If I'm looting at night and a zombie or player scares the shit out of me, I don't need the game to tell me that I'm scared. If I'm getting shot at and I am about to lose several hours or days of looting by getting shot in the head, I don't need the game to tell me that my heart is racing. And what if it tells me that I'm feeling the opposite of how I actually feel about what just happened in-game? A sanity system would be worse than just an unnecessary gimmick, it would actually kill a bunch of unique aspects of gameplay and player interaction.

Edited by fuke
  • Like 1

DayZ can not affect you physically by making you hungry or thirsty or full, or shooting you, or whacking you in the head with a baseball bat.

But playing the game does affect your mental state, it can terrify or excite you, it can make you feel gratitude or remorse. And that's its main strength - the adrenaline rush in combat, the mix of emotions you don't get in other shooters or RPG's. Having to read someone by their actions and the sound of their voice, not knowing whether to trust them, without the help of a big red marker that says "THIS GUY IS EVIL!" If I'm looting at night and a zombie or player scares the shit out of me, I don't need the game to tell me that I'm scared. If I'm getting shot at and I am about to lose several hours or days of looting by getting shot in the head, I don't need the game to tell me that my heart is racing. And what if it tells me that I'm feeling the opposite of how I actually feel about what just happened in-game? A sanity system would be worse than just an unnecessary gimmick, it would actually kill a bunch of unique aspects of gameplay and player interaction.

For me, having to deal with my character's mental state would only open up the gameplay and actually give me a reason to interact with people. I don't think anyone is asking for big red markers and the like, or for it to be what you should feel irl. I just want it to be another thing to manage, like hunger, thirst, temperature and health.

Xant and NexVentor... you call us inept, yet you're the ones who are acting like lunatics in a game to satisfy your own egos. Far as I can tell, Natural Selection missed you guys. Humanity's downward spiral will have people like you at its core.

Acting like tough guys through a screen is all well and good, but what are you going to do when you actively piss someone off who's got some extreme mental issues and decides to hunt you down? It's not impossible to think of, considering some of the sick things that have happened in the world.

The reason I call you KoS CoD Kiddies out isn't mainly out of anger... it's more out of frustration and the fact that you people lack tact. Use your heads a little will you? If you want to mindlessly shoot guns at people so that you can feel tough, go play CoD or Titanfall. Leave us out of it.

No the reason you call us CoD kiddies is because you have no argument and can only resort to name calling. See how xant and myself AREN'T calling the players who want interaction with people, lonely sad individuals who probably have no friends in real life and mummy didn't love them enough? That's what you are doing, it is childish at best.

I play DayZ to kill people and who the hell are you to tell me that I shouldn't do that? The dev's put guns in the game for that reason, Rocket loves PVP and he even put it in the server rules that there is not allowed to be "Friendly" or "PvE" only servers. If you are caught kicking people for that reason you will lose your server and here you are calling people names and acting like a child because you want everyone else to play how you want them to play, if they don't you want to penalise them and you want them to play in way contradictory to the way the game is designed?

I am laughing right now because of two reasons 1) DayZ never has and never will be the game you think it should be, it might be "modded" that way later but the core game will never be. 2) The fact you keep posting up this stuff just fuels fire for players like xant and myself, when will you learn lol

itt: kitchen psychology

Lol, it's the last refuge of the truly inept. Because a game like this quickly highlights that they have no way of competing on a level playing, they resort to name calling, belittling and trying to psychoanalyse people they have never met. It's different and weird to them and anyone who doesn't fit there player profile is clearly mentally deranged. It's basically BPD (Borderline personality disorder) LOOOOL!

Nex at least I know has been involved in threads with me in the past, and can attest to the fact that I am no "carebear": I seek all forms of interaction in this game, be it in the form of simple conversation, outright deception or good old fashioned murder. I keep coming back to these topics because I believe you guys are actually missing out on a great aspect of games like this, and if you throw enough shit eventually something will stick.

As for amateur psychoanalysis? Hells yes. If you have even a morsel of introspection in your character, you should be doing this on a daily basis anyway. The fact that you either do not (or masquerade in such a way at the least) casts a terrifying representation of your cultural upbringings. The responses guys like this get is sickening, and shows an utter lack of empathy - which doesn't even take a high school education in psychology to explain.

Nex at least I know has been involved in threads with me in the past, and can attest to the fact that I am no "carebear": I seek all forms of interaction in this game, be it in the form of simple conversation, outright deception or good old fashioned murder. I keep coming back to these topics because I believe you guys are actually missing out on a great aspect of games like this, and if you throw enough shit eventually something will stick.

As for amateur psychoanalysis? Hells yes. If you have even a morsel of introspection in your character, you should be doing this on a daily basis anyway. The fact that you either do not (or masquerade in such a way at the least) casts a terrifying representation of your cultural upbringings. The responses guys like this get is sickening, and shows an utter lack of empathy - which doesn't even take a high school education in psychology to explain.

No this is where I totally and utterly disagree and your biggest problem is you are trying to analyse this from only ONE perspective. You are saying because player x does this then that means it should equal that, causation and correlation my friend. You are missing a HUGE part of the puzzle, it's like saying because someone plays GTA and only steals cars, that they must be a thief in real life or because a person plays arma 3 they must be a psychopath. It is so far from the truth it is not funny. You would get more of an insight in to my mental state by studying ALL of posts on this forum and watching my videos I post online than from reading one post of "HAHA, I like killing you and making you rage about your lost treasures."

You are failing miserably at armchair psychoanalysis because instead of delving deeper into the midset, you already have your patient pigeon holed and now trying to manipulate the truth to back up your already preconceived assumptions.

No this is where I totally and utterly disagree and your biggest problem is you are trying to analyse this from only ONE perspective. You are saying because player x does this then that means it should equal that, causation and correlation my friend. You are missing a HUGE part of the puzzle, it's like saying because someone plays GTA and only steals cars, that they must be a thief in real life or because a person plays arma 3 they must be a psychopath. It is so far from the truth it is not funny. You would get more of an insight in to my mental state by studying ALL of posts on this forum and watching my videos I post online than from reading one post of "HAHA, I like killing you and making you rage about your lost treasures."

You are failing miserably at armchair psychoanalysis because instead of delving deeper into the midset, you already have your patient pigeon holed and now trying to manipulate the truth to back up your already preconceived assumptions.

That's not what I was saying at all.

I was inferring that behaviour witnessed in this environment is seen because computer games (and their attached communities) are seen as a valid outlet for such behaviour. There is as yet no way to attach the social stigma present in regular day to day interaction without using a truly persistent environment (see the pariahs of eve online for examples of this) and genuine risk/reward game mechanics, and even then this is easily circumvented. I was therefore implying that this behaviour - which I myself often partake of - is in fact derived from the suppression of what are natural human reactions.

In short, I was asking a question.

Edited by Mithrawndo

That's not what I was saying at all.

I was inferring that behaviour witnessed in this environment is seen because computer games (and their attached communities) are seen as a valid outlet for such behaviour. There is as yet no way to attach the social stigma present in regular day to day interaction without using a truly persistent environment (see the pariahs of eve online for examples of this) and genuine risk/reward game mechanics, and even then this is easily circumvented. I was therefore implying that this behaviour - which I myself often partake of - is in fact derived from the suppression of what are natural human reactions.

In short, I was asking a question.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I have read your initial post several times with a great deal of attention and can only see a question mark once which you answered yourself. With the rest of your dialogue, it seems to me you are making statements not asking questions, I fail to see what question you are asking.

Nex at least I know has been involved in threads with me in the past, and can attest to the fact that I am no "carebear":

Statement

I seek all forms of interaction in this game, be it in the form of simple conversation, outright deception or good old fashioned murder. 

Statement

I keep coming back to these topics because I believe you guys are actually missing out on a great aspect of games like this, and if you throw enough shit eventually something will stick

Statement (which we will come back to)

As for amateur psychoanalysis? Hells yes

Question, you answered it yourself

If you have even a morsel of introspection in your character, you should be doing this on a daily basis anyway. 

Statement and an odd one at that

The fact that you either do not (or masquerade in such a way at the least) casts a terrifying representation of your cultural upbringings.

Statement

The responses guys like this get is sickening, and shows an utter lack of empathy - which doesn't even take a high school education in psychology to explain.

Statement and at this point I have no idea what point you are trying to make. It probably makes sense in your head but to the outside observer, none.

Now....

I keep coming back to these topics because I believe you guys are actually missing out on a great aspect of games like this, and if you throw enough shit eventually something will stick

How do you know we haven't done this... to death. I am literally closing in on nearly 2000hrs of the mod and SA combined. I find friendly play boring NOW.

I was inferring that behaviour witnessed in this environment is seen because computer games (and their attached communities) are seen as a valid outlet for such behaviour. 

Of course they are valid, that's exactly what they were designed to be. Put a gun in a game and what do you expect the outcome to be? Put a car in a game and what do you expect the outcome to be? Make a house of it? The dev's put guns in the game because that is their vision of how the game should be.

I was therefore implying that this behaviour - which I myself often partake of - is in fact derived from the suppression of what are natural human reactions.

Partly yes and partly no. To say that it is natural human behaviour to want to kill people is a very complex issue and it cannot be summed up easily in a simple statement, do humans have the capability? Sure! but you don't need to look at video games to see that.

However trying to link what someone does in a game to their mental situation is beyond ridiculous and that is where you are going wrong. I think you are wrong because what I get enjoyment out of, is not killing of other players. I get enjoyment out of the tension, the suspense, the adrenaline rush pumping through my body when I spot someone or when I am hunting someone or when I get shot at. If I just wanted to kill people I would play BF or CoD. Killing people is just the vehicle in which I get that rush. In fact the rush comes more from not wanting to die more than the killing and also it is like any competitive game or sport, human nature wants to win, nobody wants to lose. 

The raging afterwards (outside of the game) by the people above is like the cherry on the cake, the justification of the murder if you will. If people are going to get so upset by their character dying in game, it makes me laugh and it seriously makes me question their mental stability.

When I was a young kid playing sport, we were taught to be graceful in victory and defeat. What we have here is equivalent of a child losing a game of soccer, throwing a tantrum and demanding the rules be changed to suit his/her lack of skill and taking his/her ball home until everyone else plays by their new rules.

Edited by NexVentor

Yes, god forbid someone plays a shooter game and shoots people. The outrage! Scandalous! Redonkolous!

This thread just keeps getting better and better -- carebears playing a FPS/TPS and claiming people who shoot others have mental problems. Priceless! :D

(I do wonder, though, what DO carebears do in the current state of the game if they don't kill people? I can get fully geared up with the best stuff in about 5 minutes, then there's nothing left to do, zombies aren't a threat and never were. Do they just run in circles in trees or what?)

Edited by Xant

No Apologies necessary Nex - I didn't actually ask a direct question but rather implied one with those statements. Letting my mind run my mouth unabridged is a common fault of mine. The question was this: Why do online computer games cause an erosion of empathy amongst otherwise well adjusted people, and is this behaviour damaging to either the individuals or the communities they partake in?

I have preconceived answers to this, namely Freudian sublimation (the satisfaction of socially unacceptable impulses in a socially acceptable manner) as I've made clear, but given the flack that the old codger's theories get these days I felt it advisable to open this up for discussion. For the second part, proposals like this (which pop up with alarming frequency) do seem to indicate that the behaviour does have a damaging effect on at least some members of the community, as evidenced by the fact that the OP has gone from rational to batshit in the course of three pages.

I find friendly play boring NOW.

I completely agree with you here, but that doesn't mean there isn't still mileage in this playstyle. Deception immediately comes to mind - I'm seldom friendly for example, but that doesn't stop me from acting that way - and the tension in such situations is more than palpable.

Put a gun in a game and what do you expect the outcome to be? Put a car in a game and what do you expect the outcome to be? Make a house of it? The dev's put guns in the game because that is their vision of how the game should be.

Given that ammo is a reasonably scarce commodity (I don't beleive the ease with which it is currently acquired represents their vision of a final product), then surely the decision to pull that trigger is one that should have a larger influence on our attitude to the game?

Partly yes and partly no. To say that it is natural human behaviour to want to kill people is a very complex issue and it cannot be summed up easily in a simple statement, do humans have the capability? Sure! but you don't need to look at video games to see that.

However trying to link what someone does in a game to their mental situation is beyond ridiculous and that is where you are going wrong. I think you are wrong because what I get enjoyment out of, is not killing of other players. I get enjoyment out of the tension, the suspense, the adrenaline rush pumping through my body when I spot someone or when I am hunting someone or when I get shot at. If I just wanted to kill people I would play BF or CoD. Killing people is just the vehicle in which I get that rush. In fact the rush comes more from not wanting to die more than the killing and also it is like any competitive game or sport, human nature wants to win, nobody wants to lose.

As I insinuate above, this is exactly why mechanics that force an element of doubt when considering hostility could be beneficial. The game's greatest strength is it's tension, and we risk losing that if murder remains the de facto form of interaction. Perhaps this issue will be lessened as loss becomes a greater influence (a la Eve Online), but given the way the game is designed, I doubt this.

I know you're in favour of private hives, and I agree with you that this would resolve many of the issues I raise here. However Bohemia clearly have a vision of the public hives being worthwhile, and it is with this in mind that I raise these points.

The raging afterwards (outside of the game) by the people above is like the cherry on the cake, the justification of the murder if you will. If people are going to get so upset by their character dying in game, it makes me laugh and it seriously makes me question their mental stability.

I've mentioned Eve twice so far here alone, and it's a great example of this mentality. Google my nickname and you'll find quite a few posts on the eve forums where I lambaste people for getting so caught up in a computer game that they feel the need to throw insults around and quit. Like you, it made me question their state of mind. The years however (I'm no spring chicken) have led me to question whether it was their behaviour or mine that was irrational.

I'm still trying to answer that.

When I was a young kid playing sport, we were taught to be graceful in victory and defeat. What we have here is equivalent of a child losing a game of soccer, throwing a tantrum and demanding the rules be changed to suit his/her lack of skill and taking his/her ball home until everyone else plays by their new rules.

Again, we return to sublimation.

To continue your analogy, the rules of soccer have been changed under these circumstances several times in the last few years. We're on the cusp of goal line technology becoming the norm; Most professional leagues have instituted a pass back rule, preventing goalkeepers from picking up a ball returned to them (which directly discourages defensive tactics and encourages pressing football - a wonderful analogy for this thread's goal); UEFA declared "simulation" (diving, feigning injury) a bookable offence - again, an artificial addition to the rules to encourage the spirit of the game and to work around gamesmanship, something very prevalent in online games.

Edit: These changes were all made after complaints from professionals and fans alike - much like the OP has a valid complaint in the original post and offers a solution. An unworkable solution to my mind, but at least he's making the effort!*

This thread just keeps getting better and better -- carebears playing a FPS/TPS and claiming people who shoot others have mental problems. Priceless! :D

(I do wonder, though, what DO carebears do in the current state of the game if they don't kill people? I can get fully geared up with the best stuff in about 5 minutes, then there's nothing left to do, zombies aren't a threat and never were. Do they just run in circles in trees or what?)

I beleive they try to avoid shooting people unless they absolutely have to, as opposed to shooting people just because they saw them. The latter behaviour is, for the record, a self criticism.

*It's easy to destroy something. It's a lot harder to create something.

Edited by Mithrawndo

*It's easy to destroy something. It's a lot harder to create something.

Nope. A lot harder to destroy a tank than to create a stick-figure drawing. As always, Deeply Wise sounding sayings don't really work.

Nope. A lot harder to destroy a tank than to create a stick-figure drawing. As always, Deeply Wise sounding sayings don't really work.

They do when you apply comprehension rather than playing dumb. You know fine and well what that saying means, you're simply being a dilatant: It's far easier to tear down an idea than it is to create one.

They do when you apply comprehension rather than playing dumb. You know fine and well what that saying means, you're simply being a dilatant: It's far easier to tear down an idea than it is to create one.

No, it's not. The saying simply does not work. I can think of plenty of ideas that it'd be harder to tear down than to create. The saying only works for specific cases, and at that point, why bother having a saying at all?