SomeCallMeNomad (DayZ)

Anyone else think DayZ should switch engines?

How do you think the Star Citizen guys are doing it? They obviously figured it out ;)

i expect SC to be extremely high spec once its complete. AFAIK its still quite small unless som big roll out has happend just recently?

i expect SC to be extremely high spec once its complete. AFAIK its still quite small unless som big roll out has happend just recently?

Quiet small? I honestly expect it to be huge :P. Does not need to be high spec if you got the right optimizing. With the right budget and the right engineers anything is possible friend.

a level this size in MP on cryengine would require and extremely top of the range gaming PC ro play on even moderate settings with viable fps. (unless you intend to just use crappy low res tex and then whats the point of using an engine known for its visual quality?)

You don't really understand how graphic engines work, do you?

Maybe CryEngine? With all its tech the game would look 10x better and probably run 10x better.

CE3 is a possibility, especially since CE2 had pretty big multiplayer maps with vehicle combat... But then again, I haven't seen a similar survival/coop mod for Crysis - not saying that the game can't be based on one. 

Then again, this make Arma 3 look "average" at best... Dynamic shadows and lights... 

Edited by FrostDMG
  • Like 1

I don't think CryEngine 3 is made for huge open worlds (as big as Altis). For a demanding game like A3, they made a very nice engine

I don't think CryEngine 3 is made for huge open worlds (as big as Altis). For a demanding game like A3, they made a very nice engine

Every single modern game engine is capable of rendering extremely large maps. If Rust can do it with Unity anyone can do it.

Anyone else think DayZ should switch engines?

I think DayZ should switch DIMENSIONS.

• Like 1

Cryengine 3 is being used for the most open and vast game to date.

Star Citizen so I doubt size is a problem.

Star-Citizen-01.jpg

Besides all an engine does is render graphic no game engine has any built in constraints on what type of game it can produce.

Cryengine 3 is being used for the most open and vast game to date.

Star Citizen so I doubt size is a problem.

Star-Citizen-01.jpg

Besides all an engine does is render graphic no game engine has any built in constraints on what type of game it can produce.

Is that as big and graphically demanding as Altis? I'm not familiar with that game, if it's just rendering the meteors and the spaceships it's not such a big deal

Edited by The End.

Hello there

Even if it were a case of "here's an engine go use it" have you not thought about the complexities in moving over to another engine (assuming it could deliver all thats needed)?

We all want the ideal game, but we also have to live in reality, as painful as that is.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

an analogy:

once upon a time there was a history-charged car producing company called Pussywagen and they wanted to build their brand new car. So they decided to buy engines from the italian company Melanzani, because they had the most powerful and best engines. The end.

edit: Find the error

Edited by joe_mcentire

Is that as big and graphically demanding as Altis? I'm not familiar with that game, if it's just rendering the meteors and the spaceships it's not such a big deal

Bigger and more graphically demanding than any pc game to date.

Star Citizen is far more ambitious than any game has ever been.

How do you think the Star Citizen guys are doing it? They obviously figured it out ;) cough segmented worlds cough

They have already stated it will require top of the line pc's to run.  Anyone with a low-end pc is SOL, and no amount of clapping is going to change that.

I think with the recent major committed changes coming to RV we are in good hands, along with any future BI game.

Like stripping down a hotrod and restoring it. 

It will take patience, resolve, and a lot of cussing.

Sit back, relax and just listen to this while picturing Bohemia ripping apart DayZ to start over on another engine

They have already stated it will require top of the line pc's to run.  Anyone with a low-end pc is SOL, and no amount of clapping is going to change that.

Playing it on max settings for sure.

Isn't the ToH engine RV3 like Arma 2?

It's the engine from Arma 2: OA, and it was modified for Take On Helicopters. DayZ SA, they've changed it up even more, and, as I said in my original post, added middleware (Bullet, etc), and will be swapping out the renderer, so, in the end, it will be a very different engine. Yes, the core of it is RV3, but the myriad fixes/changes are going to alter it drastically.

It's the engine from Arma 2: OA, and it was modified for Take On Helicopters. DayZ SA, they've changed it up even more, and, as I said in my original post, added middleware (Bullet, etc), and will be swapping out the renderer, so, in the end, it will be a very different engine. Yes, the core of it is RV3, but the myriad fixes/changes are going to alter it drastically.

Everything you just said is wrong.

If you don't know what you are talking about, please restrain from spouting bullshit into the eyes of others.

If you don't know what you are talking about, please restrain from spouting bullshit into the eyes of others.

Instead of being a complete waste of forum space about it, explain to him why he's wrong without frothing at the mouth.

• Like 1

I don't know the official version, but this sounds right.

Instead of being a complete waste of forum space about it, explain to him why he's wrong without frothing at the mouth.

There is plenty explanation about the current RV branch from multiple devs.

DayZ's engine is an iteration of Real Virtuality.  Not any previous games.  It just happens to use previous assets, mainly being Arma2.  The devs also have access to any software or assets Bi owns the IP rights to.  VBS included.

This was confirmed when a player had corrupt dayz download data and had an arma 1 main menu.

The wiki entry about it being RV 3 is wrong and Devs have stated this.  It will be a separate entity from RV by beta, but with some compatibility since its still built from RV.

Stick with the tour before spouting misinformed bullshit.

I would highly suggest following VBS updates as it is the flagship of BI.

"The ambitious narrative and gameplay of Human Element required an innovative set of features in order to achieve our vision," said Bowling in a press release from Crytek today. "CryEngine is the perfect fit for us because it delivers so many powerful features straight out of the box such as the physical-based shading system and the infinite terrain from segmented worlds to create a massive open-world experience but still allow the visual fidelity and detail our players expect from a first-person experience from our team."

"The ambitious narrative and gameplay of Human Element required an innovative set of features in order to achieve our vision," said Bowling in a press release from Crytek today. "CryEngine is the perfect fit for us because it delivers so many powerful features straight out of the box such as the physical-based shading system and the infinite terrain from segmented worlds to create a massive open-world experience but still allow the visual fidelity and detail our players expect from a first-person experience from our team."

Great pep talk :)

"The standalone engine we are using is a branch of Take on Helicopters, which itself is a branch of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead. We chose this because of its stability, ease of development, very achievable optimization, and the fact that our programmers are the architects of the engine - the very people who built it from the ground up over ten years." 

That's straight from the bloody devblog. Sorry if I this all changed but wasn't reflected in the game's only official documentation. Was just going by what I'd read. Now go choke on your own over-inflated sense of self-esteem.

Edited by horrorview
  • Like 2

I think the game is just fine. Aside from the bugs, but the game is unfinished and it clearly states that before downloading as well as after. Soon the bugs will be gone and we'll all be happy, lol.