xalienax

The TANK Thread

THE TANK THREAD

Okay, I know someone is reading the title and going 'Is this guy looney?' but please, please atleast have a read before making rude comments. Im convinced that i can cook up a way that we can have a few AWESOME vehicles that are worth an ENOURMOUS amount of work to acuire and maintain, and still not destroy the rest of the game.

So, Why tanks? Why not an attack chopper or Mini-gun toating Blackhawk? Well Simply put i think that the TANK inherently due to its big, loud, slow nature mean that the ill prepared will have time to avoid it, and those cunning enough to ambush it in a strategic chokepoint could disable it with improvised explosives. Unlike a heli which will still allow you to have a "god view" of everything below, the tank will force you to still traverse hills, valleys, woods, and other vision obscuring terrain, albiet in a virtual rolling fortress.

So, the candidates:

Exhibit A: Militia Imporvised APC

This beast is made by welding a box of heavy metal plating onto a large comercial duty truck. the excees weight high on the body and wheeled design make it poor off road compared to tracked options, but readily avilable parts are a plus.

zjlcc.jpg

Exhibit B: T-55 Main Battle Tank

A true monster, this relic of the cold war is still often found in poorer countries, tho it is being widely replace by T-72 and later varients. It uses a Simple water-cooled diesel engine, and doesnt feature any truly advanced tech. Repair by an experienced mechanic given time and enough manpower; Plausible. On the downside its rather slow, extremely loud, and has limited crew capacity for all the trouble put into repairing it.

T551.jpg

Exhibit 3: BMP-2 APC

Another hold-over from the cold-war era that continues to see wide service, this versatile baby sees a wide array of gear fitted to it depending on what nation it's serving. The engine and transmission tho rugged are notoriously difficult to deal with in the field shoudl something go wrong. this would probably be the hardest of the 3 options for the average mechanic to fix up, but given you could find smeone with the knowedge, manpower, and time this tille honey would be a godsend in the apocalypse. it features tracked drive train, excelent on and off road performance (for a tank), and can accomidate a sizeable amount of people in the back. it lacks the fire power of the T55 -or ease of repair/construction of the Improvised option, but provides amazing protection, offense, and flexibility.

bmp2_2.jpg

Reparring/Improvising Armored vehicles

> All would require Welding eqipment (which it's self would need in turn either a generator or fuel tanks for the torch)

> Metal Plating could be "cut" from vehicle wrecks around the worls with the cutting torch. this would be a rather noisey, smokey process likely to draw atention of both players and infected.

> All vehicles here (or some vairent of them) use diesel engines, as such "engine parts" will surfice for game play reasons. well just have to asume they were modified to fit?

> Tank Ammo will come in SINGLE ROUNDS. extremely rare spawn, requing you to carr the large cartridge "IN hands" to the tank or storage. this means you cant defend your self AT ALL while carrying a round of ammo for it. looting and recovering the ammo pretty much mandates a group effort. rarity mandates that weeks of looting High-Value military spawns like NWAF may turn up 5-7 main gun rounds.

> Wheeled options use standard truck wheels for simplicity of development

> Tank Track segments found at Military bases moderately rare. Must be "team" carried by 2 people due to weight, or dragged.

Driving/Operating Mechanics

> Improvised APCs would have gun ports allowing pasengers to "shoot out" perhaps even drop grenades or improvised explosives out as you drive.

> Proper tanks that were repaired will feature stabilised turrets and magnified optics for the gunner, however do to this being the apocalypse the electrinic targeting systems had to be bypassed meading you will have to range and lead your target manually. (for the sake of story mcgyver mechanic guy bypassed the electronic systems which were byon hope of repair to make the guns atleast functional)

> Like in the ACE mod, you cannot swap between seats in the tank that would not be possible IRL. (EG. driver would have to get our, and walk up to the right side of the T55 and climb inot the turret to switch to gunner) this forces teamwork to operate them.

> Improvised APCs with wheels are vulnerable to having wheels shot out, ones built on tracked construction or farm equipement (like bulldozers) are not, but much much slower.

> Perhaps restrict crew and driver to internal view? this opens up the posibility for the clever lone wolf to ge close enough with an improvise explosive or incendary of some kind.

I genuinely think that a combination of extreme raritly of ammo, Extreme amount of time and effort involved in reparing or preparing these, And the fact they they will be lubering beasts that draw tons of atention to you long before you can ever see any would be victims, make them fairly balanced in a gameplay sense. The eastern block/Col-War era hardware also would be right at home in a colapsed post-soviet nation. (where it makes sence that a few of these would have been in the native motorpool or reserves)

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 14

If they add helicopters then why not add tanks.

I mean tanks require alot less training and maintenance to get up and running.

Ideally neither would be in the game though.

• Like 1

If they add helicopters then why not add tanks.

I mean tanks require alot less training and maintenance to get up and running.

Ideally neither would be in the game though.

I think thier viable, and tbh are much more interesting of a mechanic. I know some would like just bare bones but i like diversity. I think the idea of someone cutting metal from old buildings or vehicles and welding makeshift armor to a flatbed truck much more likely then the average civilian mainting say.. a huey with its turbojet engine

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

Well they could add even spaceship, if they wanted, does not mean it would do game any good.

I freely confess I did not read the whole 1st post, but I dislike the idea of tanks in the game.

Even if one could realisticly find a tank, even if it is easier to drive a tank then fly a heli, it would pose a bigger gameplay issues having armed tanks or APC's roaming around.

Surely then one would request having RPG's and .50 cals back in the game, in order to protect himself from armored vehicles, and before you know, the whole DayZ would turn into some Wasteland with zombies.

Regarding being able to weld metal plates to cars, that idea I kinda like.

• Like 4

Well they could add even spaceship, if they wanted, does not mean it would do game any good.

I freely confess I did not read the whole 1st post, but I dislike the idea of tanks in the game.

Even if one could realisticly find a tank, even if it is easier to drive a tank then fly a heli, it would pose a bigger gameplay issues having armed tanks or APC's roaming around.

Surely then one would request having RPG's and .50 cals back in the game, in order to protect himself from armored vehicles, and before you know, the whole DayZ would turn into some Wasteland with zombies.

to TL;DR for you

I made one of the concepts regarding the tank's offense extreme rarity. This of course relise some what on duping getting fixed completely. when you have to bound betwen the mil bases dozens of times to find ONE SHELL then walk to the building pick it up and carry it in hands (no abailit to defend self while doing this) and load it into your tank or storage, there wont be tanks roaving the country side lighting everyone up.

exaclty this. then we need rpgs and stuff like this. and this would be maybe gamebreaking

I think there's a game for you people...

IT'S CALLED... YOU'LL NEVER GUESS IT... ARMA!

• Like 7

to TL;DR for you

I made one of the concepts regarding the tank's offense extreme rarity. This of course relise some what on duping getting fixed completely. when you have to bound betwen the mil bases dozens of times to find ONE SHELL then walk to the building pick it up and carry it in hands (no abailit to defend self while doing this) and load it into your tank or storage, there wont be tanks roaving the country side lighting everyone up.

Well even if tank ammo is crazy rare, having driveable tank itself would be crazy big advantage.

Nobody could touch you, you could drive over some poor survivors while spouting rubbish from voice and lot of other abuse would come from that.

I respect you having different opinion, mine is, that neither tanks or heavily armored APC's have place in DayZ, atleast before it's open for modding, then all kinds of crazy will happen.

IF they were to add tanks and armored vehicles I would prefer they remain to the faction specifics that Cherno operated in ArmA II.  This includes BRDM2, BMP2  ZSU 23-4 Shilka, Ural truck variants, UAZ, and T-72 among a few.

Even if they are not that rare...one question for the typical survivor remains...

WILL THEY HELP ME KILL GODZILLA AND GET FOOD ON THE TABLE? In short...is it neccessary in a typical survival situation?

exaclty this. then we need rpgs and stuff like this. and this would be maybe gamebreaking

Did you even read where i explain that it can be disabeled with improvised explosives, and would take a squad weeks to come up with only a few single shots for it?

They are there to serve as zombie-immune rolling fortresses to protect it's occupants. youd really not want to fire a round you spend 3 days loot farming for on a fresh spawn.

• Like 1

Even if they are not that rare...one question for the typical survivor remains...

WILL THEY HELP ME KILL GODZILLA AND GET FOOD ON THE TABLE? In short...is it neccessary in a typical survival situation?

this is a Zombie apocalypse, so "typical" goes out the window :)

and yes it does help. it means you and your mates can roll around chernarus immune to gunfire and zeds, and while you may almost never have ammo to spare for the dang thing, the fact that you can drive a freaking bullet proff barricade around DOES help your buddy safely loot more food

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

I share the same opinion that tanks should be ingame, but they wont be worth the effort put in maintenance.

• Like 1

Did you even read where i explain that it can be disabeled with improvised explosives, and would take a squad weeks to come up with only a few single shots for it?

They are there to serve as zombie-immune rolling fortresses to protect it's occupants. youd really not want to fire a round you spend 3 days loot farming for on a fresh spawn.

You present this idea as if only "honorable" folks would want one.

You can bet this would become number 1 vehicle for KOS'ers and other dudes and then forums would get flooded with pissed off people describing how they were crushed by tank and loled at via direct com.

So while having tank is surely realistic, I am confident it would have very bad influence on gameplay.

Also what would you want next? Nuclear submarine, Battleship, mobile artilery?

Such stuff is best to leave for Arma, have you try it? Arma 2 - 3 are good games.

Edited by Hombre

You present this idea as if only "honorable" folks would want one.

You can bet this would become number 1 vehicle for KOS'ers and other dudes and then forums would get flooded with pissed off people describing how they were crushed by tank and loled at via direct com.

So while having tank is surely realistic, I am confident it would have very bad influence on gameplay.

Also what would you want next? Nuclear submarine, Battleship, mobile artilery?

Such stuff is best to leave for Arma, have you try it? Arma 2 - 3 are good games.

If everyone were a good guy this wouldn't be dayZ. it would be an pure RPG. im sorry but if they put any effort into the audio you should have more then amble time to hide in a house from a tank before it even know your there. (you should hear it long before it can see you). with that said the extremely rare ammo means PvPers wont want to waste it blasting random houses in hoes that "maybe hes in that one" but rather use it for killing other groups' vehicles in squad fights.

Tanks? no.

i035331.jpg

However creating addons to a Hilux or a Bus similar to Dawn of the Dead would be pretty awesome.

• Like 4

If we are talking about tanks in general:

Useless steel coffins, no one use them anymore (too much easy to hit and they cant do anything against planes and infantry).

If we are talking about tanks in dayz: 

No... Just... No.

I like the idea, you provided a detailed description of how it would work and such and I like it. I can just imagine the joy of when some group finally gets it to work and then use it to destroy a rivals base or something. Also just steamrolling zombies on the street, yes please!

walking-dead-dead-weight-governor-tank.j

Edited by Survivor_Ted

For me absolutely no tanks in the game (or helicopters for that matter). I would welcome an improvised armoured "mad max"  vehicle like your first pic but ONLY if it is very hard to craft and takes a team effort. The truck should not have too many fire ports / room for players. Say max of 4 incl. driver. Obviously there would have to be a way to stop / destroy the vehicle. Either by taking out the tires, some remote detonated explosives (IED) and a sticky bomb or maybe molotov cocktail.

For me absolutely no tanks in the game (or helicopters for that matter). I would welcome an improvised armoured "mad max"  vehicle like your first pic but ONLY if it is very hard to craft and takes a team effort. The truck should not have too many fire ports / room for players. Say max of 4 incl. driver. Obviously there would have to be a way to stop / destroy the vehicle. Either by taking out the tires, some remote detonated explosives (IED) and a sticky bomb or maybe molotov cocktail.

Why take away what made the mod fun? A lot of people seem to be doing this, makes me wonder if they're new to Dayz.

• Like 4

Why take away what made the mod fun? A lot of people seem to be doing this, makes me wonder if they're new to Dayz.

Exactly my feelings. The Vehicles and base building/hunting/raiding MADE the whole experience.

• Like 1

I think there's a game for you people...

IT'S CALLED... YOU'LL NEVER GUESS IT... ARMA3 Breaking Point.

fixed that for ya.

Exactly my feelings. The Vehicles and base building/hunting/raiding MADE the whole experience.

I've played a lot of Dayz Mod & its modifications and only tank I remember was the one from DayZ 2017, which could not fire at all.

So I wouldn't say that tanks contributed to DayZ experience at all.  On the other hand Wasteland.....

Hmm yeah not alot of tanks in the original Dayz mod... But ask yourself this what will the tank be used for??? how would it help you in a zed apoc?? at first your thinking no zed can touch you in it true but you have to get out of it at a some point and with the noise it makes you would have a horde following you across the country side, Meaning death sentence..

What use will it be in Dayz hmm perhaps hitting fortified camps is my only guess so wow you want a death match item in game.. No thanks i am wondering if you have played any Dayz and i dont mean epoch crap i mean dayz..

Welding plate on civiliian cars and maybe even mounting a lmg is as close to a tank as i would ever want to see them go...

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

Why re-create the mod? The SA gives the opportunity to do something else than what already has been done. Play the mod if you want to play the mod...

• Like 1