xalienax

The TANK Thread

You rarely see tanks like that even functioning today. Of all the German Panzer IVs ever built, only around 4 or so (last time I checked) are known to still be running, and they built thousands of them.  I'm not sure too many Type 97s or Type 99s are still running, either.

Regardless, my whole point was just that they don't add anything to the game in comparison to helicopters or planes which still require similar skill & power to operate but do make a difference in the end.

I'd rather have a C-47 or Boeing 737 than a T-72, even though the T-72 clearly makes more sense in terms of realism. (The plane that crashed into the international hotel appears to be a C-47 but I could be wrong)

The Chernarussian military operated T-72s, BMP-2s, BVP-2s & BRDM-2s before the outbreak (as we can see around the map in Chernarus+), so if they had to add something it would best be one of those. A BRDM-2 wouldn't be too awful in my mind, especially because unarmed variants of them exist and they only have light armor.

Thats why the tank should be rare in general but since we are seeing plenty of statues of tanks in game as well as ACTUAL tanks that are run down in game it wouldn't be to unrealistic to find one you could patch up. Maybe the tank wrecks in general have a small chance of a farmable part you could scavenge from it to make the tank functional if you have a rare tool kit to harvest them with.

Concerning armour on regular cars I think we should have a "force to hold on to car" option so we can force bambis to hold on to the outside of the car and thus using them as bullet stoppers.

You're joking right? Tanks are still incredibly viable weapon platforms for standard warfare AND useful as a deterrent from hostile infantry. Just because they're vulnerable in urban combat doesn't diminish their effectiveness. Tanks are fucking intimidating.

Its not like ww2 or something, Now everyone with a cheap and easy to carry antitank weapon can pierce them.

Thats why the tank should be rare in general but since we are seeing plenty of statues of tanks in game as well as ACTUAL tanks that are run down in game it wouldn't be to unrealistic to find one you could patch up. Maybe the tank wrecks in general have a small chance of a farmable part you could scavenge from it to make the tank functional if you have a rare tool kit to harvest them with.

The tank wrecks around the map would be impossible to fix considering they're static models (and most of them are run down beyond repair, regardless.)

Up-armored cars? Sure. Main battle tanks? No.

It's a good ways away if they ever come anyway. Dean even said himself that he doesn't expect there to be vehicles for a while and they'll just be focusing on bicycles, motorcycles and ATVs. Simple cars probably won't even make it in this year.

Concerning armour on regular cars I think we should have a "force to hold on to car" option so we can force bambis to hold on to the outside of the car and thus using them as bullet stoppers.

lol kind of like this?

lol kind of like this?

exactly

The tank wrecks around the map would be impossible to fix considering they're static models (and most of them are run down beyond repair, regardless.)

Up-armored cars? Sure. Main battle tanks? No.

It's a good ways away if they ever come anyway. Dean even said himself that he doesn't expect there to be vehicles for a while and they'll just be focusing on bicycles, motorcycles and ATVs. Simple cars probably won't even make it in this year.

You could fix up a bulldozer as a possible tank that is if any working construction vehicles do exist in the game.

oooh dear, so much carebears here.

If they would define what should go in the game and what should not, we would have no guns, no melee weapons and the only option in combat would be hugging people.

APCs should be in the game, but they should be TERRIBLE to maintain, expend a LOT of fuel, have a decent simulation of weight (sliding on terrain/getting stuck on deep dirt), their tires should be vulnerable to small arms shooting and they should have only the slot to mount a gun (that the player should find and it should be RARE as fuck to get.

They would work more as a mobile base than as a weapon.

So in the end a pickup with some metal sheets soldered to its windows would be much more of an advantage to have than a tank.

• Like 1

BTW Cessna-like planes should be in the game, but helicopters should never. Maybe only a half functioning and unreliable worn out little bird or two, that would require a ton of book reading and maintaining to get working, and that's it.

Helicopters are way more game breaking than some armored vehicles roaming around. Clans would use it all the time to spot bases in the woods and grief other players.

Another thing that shouldnt be in the game is GPS'es.

oooh dear, so much carebears here.

If they would define what should go in the game and what should not, we would have no guns, no melee weapons and the only option in combat would be hugging people.

APCs should be in the game, but they should be TERRIBLE to maintain, expend a LOT of fuel, have a decent simulation of weight (sliding on terrain/getting stuck on deep dirt), their tires should be vulnerable to small arms shooting and they should have only the slot to mount a gun (that the player should find and it should be RARE as fuck to get.

They would work more as a mobile base than as a weapon.

So in the end a pickup with some metal sheets soldered to its windows would be much more of an advantage to have than a tank.

This is why i prefer tanks with treads over tires.

This is why i prefer tanks with treads over tires.

treads are 10x worse to maintain than tires.

And you can break it with enough 7.62 rounds or a simple IED. Then your tank becomes useless and you wont be able to repair it (you need at least 12 people to drag a tank to its treads again).

a combat tank becomes useless with 3 years without maintenance, while an APC can withstand as much time without it than a regular car would.

And you can break it with enough 7.62 rounds or a simple IED. Then your tank becomes useless and you wont be able to repair it (you need at least 12 people to drag a tank to its treads again).

a combat tank becomes useless with 3 years without maintenance, while an APC can withstand as much time without it than a regular car would.

Id imagine so but having your tire blow out in the middle of a gun fight and dying because of that would be rather lame to lol. But actually they could add in things like road spikes for anti APC mechanics to. Hmmm good stuff for future balance :o

Edited by Deathlove

To be honest, Id LOVE to.see them, but.in unarmed moderation :p

Here in America, loggers buy old tanks that are demilled And have the turret ENTIRELY removed. That is the only acceptable TRUE tank I.wana see (cause one frag or guy.who.peeks into.the open hole of a turret...)

But I like the idea of "tanking" up vehicles. Ural pimpindeathmobile XD

To be honest, Id LOVE to.see them, but.in unarmed moderation :P

Here in America, loggers buy old tanks that are demilled And have the turret ENTIRELY removed. That is the only acceptable TRUE tank I.wana see (cause one frag or guy.who.peeks into.the open hole of a turret...)

But I like the idea of "tanking" up vehicles. Ural pimpindeathmobile XD

I could REALLY see it with the bulldozer though. Thing is tough as nails and with some light armor it would be crazy.

Id imagine so but having your tire blow out in the middle of a gun fight and dying because of that would be rather lame to lol. But actually they could add in things like road spikes for anti APC mechanics to. Hmmm good stuff for future balance :o

that's the point. If you dont know how to position yourself with your almighty APC, you will become a sitting duck to any bambie that walks in with a makarov and shoots you through the hole in the armor that most APCs have for the inside soldiers to shoot.

I want helis, no tanks

The improvised armor truck I've always been in support of although maybe not as extreme. Any vehicle should be able to be plated with armor

I want helis, no tanks

The improvised armor truck I've always been in support of although maybe not as extreme. Any vehicle should be able to be plated with armor

I can drive an armoured car, it's identical to drive an ordinary car, you cant drive a helicopter, probably not even a plane. Almost no one would be able to.

Plus air vehicles flooded the game with metagaming since the mod. It will become pointless to hoard loot and the game will just turn into an elektro deathmatch with einfields and double barrels again, just like the vanilla mod was.

Edited by lipemr

All I have to say is: if you add in tanks, you have to add in satchel charges, IED, and RPG/LAW options for balance. 

Once you have done that, the game changes significantly.

All it takes is dying one time to some asshat with a rocket launcher while you're pinned down in a building, to effectively lose your shit on the forums... and imagine how many people will do just that. 

So we should balance the game to avoid a few rage posts. i see.

Edited by Sovetsky

Its not like ww2 or something, Now everyone with a cheap and easy to carry antitank weapon can pierce them.

Pierce=/=Destruction. 

Tanks are intimidating against infantry, regardless of the weapons they are using. Tanks are still a viable and IMPORTANT combat role in a warzone.

They are basically the cavalry for the infantry. A tank is a solid defensive and offensive weapon, it fills many roles. It's people like you who think tanks are obsolete when in reality they're not. They are one of our most important weapon platforms to date and we need to continue advancing research with them. 

These are exactly the sort of mechanics i mean. simply to budge the massive hulk onto the reparied treds using 12-15 guys with a pully system and (very) heavy rope, and after all this it has space for 3, maybe 4 guys inside it.

Also in an apocalypse where there is no military rescue unit on standby to come save your bacon if your "dead in the water" something as simple as pipe-bomb based IEDs could theoreticly diasble the tracks forcing it's crew with extremeley limited, precious few rounds to try and secure the area and rescue thier tank. this makes "home made" IEDs and incendaries that could be thrown onto it a viable counter. you dont need to necessarily exploidify the entire tank just take it out of the fight.

You could add in tank traps instead of rocket launchers lol.

How would they even work? Mines on a road? People would just see them and avoid them.

This game needs helicopters and ships but for your opinion, did you ever play the original dayzmod? Vehicles weren't something you saw near the coast. Atleast not driving less than 80 km/h hoping that no one stops them. Sure there were people with to much cars wasting some, but it was definitly worth it

I found 1... 1! rocket launcher in hundreds of hours of dayz and I never ever saw a flying rocket or someone with the launcher, except the one time I found one and tried it...

I don't see the point in ships either there's like no reason to go in the water, there's not even much of it. Maybe if they added some off shore town or island with good loot but why, still just makes it more of a war game since anything good would be weaponry.

I don't know how bad it was in the mod but killing people on the coast is like all people do that, airfields, anywhere they see people and Berenzino but mostly camp around the coast because somehow it's fun to kill fresh spawns.

NOW IMAGINE YOU CAN BLOW THEM UP OH YES

So no, it only caters to douchebags who want an extremely unfair advantage.

Again it doesn't matter if they're hard to maintain a squad of dudes can just server hop until they have enough shells and fuel to last forever, or they they can just spawn in where it drops.

I kind of like the idea of a static tank or two though, with one shell added and maybe nearby there could be a destroyable building. Just for fun.

But it would be a pain for them to implement just that.

Someone explain to me why they "should" be in the game, I'm seeing that a lot in this thread, why should they be in a survival game? Who the fuck has that as a priority over not starving to death?

Also armouring up things...I like the idea but how would it work? No person could carry armour good enough to actually do anything and why is anything worthy of being armour even laying around? The best people could get is corrugated metal sheets which would do nothing but suck, realistically.

Or should people be able to put big heavy plates of metal in a backpack?

Only for everything done to the car/tank to be reset in a few hours anyway, with the amount of time it would realistically take to set up the kind of crap mentioned in this thread the server would be almost resetting so it's even more pointless.

How would they even work? Mines on a road? People would just see them and avoid them.

I don't see the point in ships either there's like no reason to go in the water, there's not even much of it. Maybe if they added some off shore town or island with good loot but why, still just makes it more of a war game since anything good would be weaponry.

I don't know how bad it was in the mod but killing people on the coast is like all people do that, airfields, anywhere they see people and Berenzino but mostly camp around the coast because somehow it's fun to kill fresh spawns.

NOW IMAGINE YOU CAN BLOW THEM UP OH YES

So no, it only caters to douchebags who want an extremely unfair advantage.

Again it doesn't matter if they're hard to maintain a squad of dudes can just server hop until they have enough shells and fuel to last forever, or they they can just spawn in where it drops.

I kind of like the idea of a static tank or two though, with one shell added and maybe nearby there could be a destroyable building. Just for fun.

But it would be a pain for them to implement just that.

Someone explain to me why they "should" be in the game, I'm seeing that a lot in this thread, why should they be in a survival game? Who the fuck has that as a priority over not starving to death?

Also armouring up things...I like the idea but how would it work? No person could carry armour good enough to actually do anything and why is anything worthy of being armour even laying around? The best people could get is corrugated metal sheets which would do nothing but suck, realistically.

Or should people be able to put big heavy plates of metal in a backpack?

Only for everything done to the car/tank to be reset in a few hours anyway, with the amount of time it would realistically take to set up the kind of crap mentioned in this thread the server would be almost resetting so it's even more pointless.

Vehicles and thier states persist thru restart (inluding cargo/fuel/etc) no reason your make shift work shop cant stay as well. Also unless you completely remove any means to kill other players you will not defeat KoSing. ever. the dayZ experience is all about the idea that each player is dropped into this world can can choose to do as he or she pleases, no matter rather thats for good or evil. That said raising the value and time invetment of end game vehicles and content shifts the motivation away from coastal deathmatch up north in the hunt for clan bases and vehicles.

You will not stop KoSing by making vehicles crap. you will not stop KoSing by making weapons weaker. you can however make extremely "valuable" things that will keep clans/squads occupied and fighting eachother instead of camping on the coast. this is what choppers, chopper crashes, and mil loot did in the mod.

If they add helicopters then why not add tanks.

I mean tanks require alot less training and maintenance to get up and running.

Ideally neither would be in the game though.

ive used tanks IRL (well warrior IFV's) and i can tell you for a fact that they take HUGE amount of maintenance to keep running :)

ive used tanks IRL (well warrior IFV's) and i can tell you for a fact that they take HUGE amount of maintenance to keep running :)

I know.

I was being sarcastic in my comment.

I was just sarcastically suggesting that why not add tanks since helicopters a insanely complicated vehicle to fly and maintain is added.

Both would be equally unrealistic additions for dayz.

Vehicles and thier states persist thru restart (inluding cargo/fuel/etc) no reason your make shift work shop cant stay as well. Also unless you completely remove any means to kill other players you will not defeat KoSing. ever. the dayZ experience is all about the idea that each player is dropped into this world can can choose to do as he or she pleases, no matter rather thats for good or evil. That said raising the value and time invetment of end game vehicles and content shifts the motivation away from coastal deathmatch up north in the hunt for clan bases and vehicles.

You will not stop KoSing by making vehicles crap. you will not stop KoSing by making weapons weaker. you can however make extremely "valuable" things that will keep clans/squads occupied and fighting eachother instead of camping on the coast. this is what choppers, chopper crashes, and mil loot did in the mod.

But there's no guarantee that there will be multiple teams fighting over them and a whole clan could just have all of them, or all the resources for them.

It would divert some attention away from the coast yes, but only for a while. And also no sane solo KoSer would bother going up North if they were obviously going to get bombed so it encourages solo players or small groups to just dig in and enjoy ruining the game for coast spawns.

I don't see how they could have vehicles not respawning completely work properly, if people left then they'd just be leaving this armoured up car or a tank for anyone to find so that just makes it even easier because it's already set up.

Then there's helicopters too, finding the tanks would be both a piece of cake and take no time at all.

Most KoS cowards aren't interested in fighting people who might actually kill them.