jameslennoxhood

Vegetarian Survivors

Vegetarians Only Please  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How will you the post apocalyptic veggy choose to survive?

• I will starve to death for my vegetarian beliefs.
    • Ill do anything to survive and if that means murdering innocent animals for food then so be it.
    • I will do my best to stay vegetarian even if im hungry all the time, but if it comes to life or death i will eat meat to ensure my survival.

Being a veggie is luxury way of life. People will eat almost everything when facing starvation. Besides, there is already enough veggie food in the game for those who want to avoid meat.

In the real world, eating a relatively large amount of meat is a recent development in the Western world, dating back to only the mid-to-late 1800,s with the industrialization of the beef industry, which made fresh meat far far cheaper and thusly, much more available to urban populations.

Before the Industrial Revolution, meat was only eaten rarely, and most food was in the form of grains, dairy, and vegetables.

If Day Z eventually goes about reenacting the rebuilding of society, I fully expect animal husbandry to be the long and difficult process it actually was. Thusly, more corn, beans, pumpkins and potatoes on your plate!

i always used to play vegetarian on hardcore survival 1 player on minecraft, it could be a tough start sometimes! i dont keep so strict on dayz, i mean i eat tuna sardines and bacon cans if im a new spawn and starving, but i wotn be shooting many animals in game i dont think

On an aside, this is an utterly foolish topic, for the reason that I am willing to bet that almost none of you have ever actually been in a survival situation, where your instincts will attempt to prevent you from starvingThere are no morals when it comes to survival, at least when it comes to animals and food.

Anecdotal: I spent 3 weeks up in the "100 mile Wilderness" up in Maine a couple of years back. I chased down a squirrel and ate that bastard raw, because I was craving fresh food hard enough! I then gorged myself on dandelions and dock leaves, so I think I developed a vitamin deficiency as a result of eating too much processed food.

In the real world, eating a relatively large amount of meat is a recent development in the Western world, dating back to only the mid-to-late 1800,s with the industrialization of the beef industry, which made fresh meat far far cheaper and thusly, much more available to urban populations.

Before the Industrial Revolution, meat was only eaten rarely, and most food was in the form of grains, dairy, and vegetables.

If Day Z eventually goes about reenacting the rebuilding of society, I fully expect animal husbandry to be the long and difficult process it actually was. Thusly, more corn, beans, pumpkins and potatoes on your plate!

I don't quite understand what you mean by relatively large amount but hunting has been part of human evolution from close to beginning. Meat had a great role on our food table, even if it wasn't major role.

I don't think, and neither is it proved, that human evolved from frugivores(it is only speculation and as much proven as that our ancestor was omnivore) or herbivores. Meat doesn't just come from a farm. Hunting plays a big part. Meat from hunting was regular food even though the consumption wasn't half as excessive as it today.

Today, human is omnivore and hunting plays as big part as gathering/farming does. That means, in a survival situation such as it appears in DayZ. For a person with skills and knowledge will be able to catch a game. Person without would rather eat some poisonous herbs/berries and die anyway. That is, there is a great deal bigger chance to find poisonous herbs than poisonous meat.

On an aside, this is an utterly foolish topic, for the reason that I am willing to bet that almost none of you have ever actually been in a survival situation, where your instincts will attempt to prevent you from starvingThere are no morals when it comes to survival, at least when it comes to animals and food.

Anecdotal: I spent 3 weeks up in the "100 mile Wilderness" up in Maine a couple of years back. I chased down a squirrel and ate that bastard raw, because I was craving fresh food hard enough! I then gorged myself on dandelions and dock leaves, so I think I developed a vitamin deficiency as a result of eating too much processed food.

I know, I have made assumptions myself before. I wouldn't put a bet on them though.

Edited by SGT. Kalme

haha it is a weird topic, but i do totaly get what hes on about, while i  understand how people are wtf to this topic, its a thought that must have crossed most vege dayz gamers mind, when they find cans of meat, even if they do eat them all the time in game

like i was sayin in previous post mineraft i didnt eat any meat , never killed animals, cut them up into chops and cooked and ate them, because it just didnt feel right, and i wana game my way,  and in dayz it will be the same kind of system so i might hunt a bit, to feed friends or whatever, but i wont eat it unless i have to, same as meat and fish cans

-snip-

Yes, I understand you can (and our ancestors did) get meat from hunting. What I was referring to was the fact that, even with hunting, meat was not regularly eaten in today's quantities. Meat  (fresh meat, at least) was scarce, a luxury, reserved for religious meals or the wealthy. A farmer wouldn't slaughter his cow just to eat it, he would slaughter it so it wouldn't take up so much resources (grains, mostly) during harder times, like winter. And far more animals were kept alive than were slaughtered, generally only the males were slaughtered and dressed.

Also, a farmer would very rarely have the time to go hunting. Farming without the benefit of electricity and vehicles is a whole-day job. 

Besides the fact that farm animals were worth more for other byproducts of husbandry (milk, cheese, wool, skins, etc), than for their meat.

All I was saying was the fact that meat was a small portion of our ancestors diets. Was it eaten? Yes, but not a lot. Our plates were mainly grains (and grain products, like bread), vegetables, beans and dairy products. Meat was a very small portion of our ancestor's diets. 

Yes, I understand you can (and our ancestors did) get meat from hunting. What I was referring to was the fact that, even with hunting, meat was not regularly eaten in today's quantities. Meat  (fresh meat, at least) was scarce, a luxury, reserved for religious meals or the wealthy. A farmer wouldn't slaughter his cow just to eat it, he would slaughter it so it wouldn't take up so much resources (grains, mostly) during harder times, like winter. And far more animals were kept alive than were slaughtered, generally only the males were slaughtered and dressed.

Also, a farmer would very rarely have the time to go hunting. Farming without the benefit of electricity and vehicles is a whole-day job. 

Besides the fact that farm animals were worth more for other byproducts of husbandry (milk, cheese, wool, skins, etc), than for their meat.

All I was saying was the fact that meat was a small portion of our ancestors diets. Was it eaten? Yes, but not a lot. Our plates were mainly grains (and grain products, like bread), vegetables, beans and dairy products. Meat was a very small portion of our ancestor's diets.

Well, yes of course. I agree completely. It would be pretty unbelieveable if meat was eaten todays quanities. Because we eat far more than we need and would be reasonable. Also, todays production is greatly built on waste of resources. No doubt our ancestors were much more thoughtful when planning their use of food sources.

I also agree that farmer would not slaughter his animals for meat because one cow worth of meat was worth much less in long term than getting milk from it regularly. But growing animals in farms became much much later. For long time, longer than beginning of growing animals till today, hunting was main source for meat. And meat was valuable food. And it was used for food before ancestors learnt to cook different products from raw resources such as grain, herbs, vegetables. So, its value isnt really overestimated. It is natural part of our diet. People can choose what they want but vegetarianism wasn't due to it being a natural way of living and feeding.

Cheers.

so it is not ok for a veggie player to kill an animal or eat tactical bacon, but pumping coast spawns full of lead is?

interesting concepts...

Of course. After all your chance is high to hit some heartless animal murderer. Radical vegan bandits - the new big thing in Earth 2.0 

I am in fact vegetarian, over 12 years. However, I don't really feel bound by it in a game, there often isn't really viable veggie options. It is survival, I mean c'mon. In any event, I wouldn't have a problem eating meat I raised or hunted/fished for sportingly,  my main issue is with our disconnection from our food supply. If you are physically, in real life, willing to kill an animal personally with your own hands, skin it and cook it - power to you.

You know that's one of the biggest misconceptions about vegetarianism. Also, saying "and that's a fact" doesn't make what you say a fact. If you find some cold, hard proof then I'll change my stance.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/082510p20.shtml

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/86/are-vegetarian-diets-safe/

Note: I'm not a vegetarian, but I will defend them when non-vegetarians think they are superior because they get all the mysterious "specific molecules"

Thanks ref, I was gonna have to say the same thing. Vegetarians get plenty of protein, you just have to get a nice variety. We only drink soy milk here too. Whole family. My two kids have never eaten meat, and they some of the tallest and strongest in their age group, play sports, etc.

What we were and what we are are two different things.

Speculating where we originate from and who are our ancestors, what they were eating and such won't give us any profit in that matter because these would be all speculations and we still are what we are. I am most definitely carnivore. Doesn't matter what my ancestors were.

Lets ask from vegetarian then. For what reason did you decide to become vegetarian?

Many vegetarians I know decided to become one just because they think killing another living creature for food is wrong. Whatever it is, that does relate killing animal and vegetarianism - if you don't eat meat because you don't want animals to be killed for food then you shouldn't be killing another living creature yourself.

being a vegetarian means you dont eat mean, you can go on a vegetarian diet, or be a vegetarian for moral reasons.

sometimes it relates to the moral, sometimes not.

I personally would kill an animal if it meant me Living or dieing , but as of now I'm not dying of starvation, so I'm a vegetarian for mainly moral reasons.

I don't think animals should die for my taste buds, so i don't eat meat, but that's only me.

I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where several characters found themselves stranded on a desert isle. Lisa resorted to licking algae slime off rocks rather than compromise her morals.

• Like 2

I'm not a vegetarian, but as far as I can make out the OP asks whether hunting being implemented will change any dedicated vegetarians from a vegetable diet of fresh fruit, canned beans and the usual loot. I'm not a mind reader either, but I am gonna say no on the OPs question. Why would they do that when canned and uncanned non-meat foods are still readily available. And what is this thread for anyway?

I'm not a vegetarian, but as far as I can make out the OP asks whether hunting being implemented will change any dedicated vegetarians from a vegetable diet of fresh fruit, canned beans and the usual loot. I'm not a mind reader either, but I am gonna say no on the OPs question. Why would they do that when canned and uncanned non-meat foods are still readily available. And what is this thread for anyway?

Yeah but when they implement hunting the current amounts of canned food and such will be cut back in order to balance the survival aspect of the game, thus making it more difficult to survive, especially if you are unwilling to hunt and then eat meat. Currently it is far too easy too survive!

Yeah but when they implement hunting the current amounts of canned food and such will be cut back in order to balance the survival aspect of the game, thus making it more difficult to survive, especially if you are unwilling to hunt and then eat meat. Currently it is far too easy too survive!

I doubt it. They will of course eventually cut back on canned food and other lootable foodstuffs, but it is not likely to happen until much later in development.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to it happening. I was just pointing out the obvious error in the OP. It's not going to happen with the hunting patch, it's going to happen much later.

Edited by BadAsh

Potato.

I was already laughing.. and then you dropped this bombshell.

original.gif

people are only vegetarians because they can afford to be that in modern society. options are so plentiful. you can't really afford that in post-apocalyptic environment if you care about your own survival.

• Like 2

now thats just ignorant.

Sorry for being a carnivore lol. Not my fault they taste so good.

Edited by myshl0ng

Correct me if I'm wrong, but humans are Omnivores for a reason. If your in a survival situation you would be a complete and total idiot to refuse to "murder" an animal if that was the only source of food available. Omnivores have an edge over straight carnivores or herbivores in situations where food is scarce. I would love to see a vegan starve to death because they were too stupid and ignorant to "murder" and animal to survive. I guess all the humans for the past thousands of years are cold blooded horrible murderers. Hate to break it to you but killing an animal for food, especially when your could potentially die is not murder.

More bacon for me

Edited by Sirwarriant12
  • Like 2

Since the vegetarians have brought up killing your own meat.. how many of you harvest your own veggies and/or soy products? 

As far as this whole argument has turned out.. Is it not just as ignorant to think it wrong either way? I mean food is food. If you feel that plants are living things and so you dont eat veggies, great. Same for meat. If you want to live off of vitamins and water, go for it. But dont think that your choice is better and then ask to not be judged. 

being a vegetarian means you dont eat mean, you can go on a vegetarian diet, or be a vegetarian for moral reasons.

sometimes it relates to the moral, sometimes not.

I personally would kill an animal if it meant me Living or dieing , but as of now I'm not dying of starvation, so I'm a vegetarian for mainly moral reasons.

I don't think animals should die for my taste buds, so i don't eat meat, but that's only me.

Fair enough, I don't judge anyone.