Robert Shannon

Melee Weapons Ideas (Megathread) Post your ideas

I hope the melee system is improved, instead of just clicking the mouse to hit, it would be nice if you could "direct" the hit to certain locations by swinging your mouse slightly as you release it. Some form of blocking would be good too..

Have a look at the melee system in War Of the Roses. It's pretty much what you were talking about and works really well.

R u datguy from anz1

Dude, check the date of the last post, it was 6 months ago. 

If you are going to resurrect an old thread, contribute properly.

I just want to be able to stove a zeds head in with the butt of my rifle >:(

Bayonet
2x4
Lead piping
Branch/big ass stick
Iron rail (From a fence or gate)
Rebar
Spade/shovel
Cleaver
Hammer
Screwdriver
Wrench

++

I prefer the more.. basic weapons that you would realistically find all over the place, it also provides opportunity for future enhancement to the weapons sing the crafting system as well as the ability to easily get a crappy weapon in a pinch.

• Like 1

in contribution to the thread...

- I would like to be able to, once in vicinity of it, be able to pull water pipes off the wall, and use them as weapons. They could be found anywhere.

- Chainsaws. Would be found as a moderate to rare spawn in sheds at the back of some houses.

- 2x4. Would be very common, and could be craftable from wood piles?

- Cordless drills. Same as chainsaws.

- Sythe, sickle. Found in barns and farmhouses.

- Pocket knife. Found in houses.

- Switchblade

- Maybe if you are in a forest, there could be a chance to be able to pick up a branch to use as a weapon. It would break within 20 - 30 hits.

- Handsaws. Very unconventional, but could be used to inflict a nasty, jagged cut on a player.

- Maybe, even if a weapon breaks it could be used as a very crude melee weapon.

- Garden hoe

- Rake

- Saucepans

- Golf clubs

- Hammer / sledge hammer

- Pool cues, could be found in pubs / bars?

i just realised how brutal some of these ideas are...oh well, tis' the zombie apocalypse.

Many of these suggestions are excellent. Great work especially from the OP.

I think the some melee items should be considered high end:

Axe - good durability, can obtain wood with it

Crow bar - good durability, can pry open car boots etc for extra loot

And others more low end:

broom handle/pool cue, breaks after a few uses. Can be burnt as fuel once broken.

The 'low end' items should be more common with the high end types being more end game or part of the 'equipment' you want to collect. 

:beans:  :thumbsup:

Edited by bibbish

R u datguy from anz1

the "Rulz" as your avatar says...

Perhaps you should read them.

Necro post, but leaving open as others have rescued.

Rgds

LoK

Kukri!

Wait. Did I really suggest that? I hope I was being sarcastic or something.

No chainsaws.....not realistically effective. bloody, yes. Fun? yes. Jams, requires maintenance, fuel, impractical, heavy(some are), and would get caught on clothing and the like. Against trees the ultimate weapon, against people kinda, against zombies hell no

Bat

Baseball bat

Aluminum bat

Aluminum baseball bat

wooden bat

wooden baseball bat

plastic bat

plastic baseball bat

batatatat

baseball batatatat

aluminum batatatat

aluminum baseball batatatat

basically anything that can be technically called a bat

An implement with a handle and a solid surface, usually of wood, used for hitting the ball in games such as baseball, cricket, and table...

All of the weapons save for the Katana and Trench Knife make sense.

Real Katanas (Or High-Quality ones) are very hard to find. Most Katanas that you see in real-life outside of museums are just display items.

Trench Knives also aren't super common anymore. While they are possible to find more often than a 'usable' Katana, trench knives have not really been produced much for actual use since World War 2.

Also, to anyone wanting a chainsaw; why?

They use up fuel very quickly for the amounts they consume, weigh much more than necessary and create a huge amount of noise (Even when just idling), are prone to jamming up if they go through too much wear and also aren't as sharp as people think they are.

A lot of chainsaws that are built have safety mechanisms specifically designed to stop them from being used to kill something. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it won't exactly just slice through a human body like butter.

You'd be better off using the chainsaw to collect large amounts of wood in a quick amount of time (Which would be helpful)

A chainsaw is something you would find in this part of the world (where the game takes place I mean). And if you were say, cutting down a tree and a zombie or hostile person came upon you suddenly, would you drop the chainsaw and fight with your bare hands? Or even take the time to pull out a weapon in your backpack? Nah.. you would turn and start swinging that chainsaw like a madman and there would be a nasty mess. Just saying.. no reason to NOT have a chainsaw. Yes it is noisy, it would make even less sense if it was quiet.. no risk in using it. I agree, it would not cut through a person or zombie like butter.. it would rip more than anything and possibly jam. And with a zombie, no doubt you would get hit while using a chainsaw.

Regardless, I would not lose sleep if it was not implemented. Mind you, for gathering wood, to stop it from being OP (overpowered), maybe you would need to find chains for it, along with gas. Oil? Anyways...

Chainsaws just cut people up.  I was at a mall and some maniac came at me with one (RL).  I got 27 stitches but that was basically it.

EDIT: of course if you go for the neck...

Edited by creeperbane

Chainsaw would get stopped from cutting, because the tissue and clothes would make the mechanism stuck. Also the faster you would swing that shit, less damage would be dealt. Probably all of you who want chainsaw, didnt even operate a chainsaw. So cheinsou doesnt fit dayz, as it is some kind of simulator.

I would like to have a two handed sword though :)

Chainsaw = heavy. People wouldn't carry chainsaws around as they trek through Chernarus. Also they would have to start up the chainsaw before even being able to cut anyone. Not a realistic or useful weapon (it's a tool) therefore I don't want to see one.

But we SHOULD want to see a chainsaw in game, precisely because of how loud, heavy and useless it would be.

It would make an effective tool, for felling trees. But you'll know a nub is near when you hear them rev-rev-revving through Cherno, moving at a snail's pace.

• Like 1