Sign in to follow this  
AlphaDogMeat .

High Pop, Low Pop, Why Pop?

Stryker007 made a good point as we were picking a server last night - why list the number of players on servers?

One of the major elements (I feel) of SA is the tension of the situation(s) you encounter, so how much more would be added if you didn't know if you were on a 4 player or 40 player server?

Would you gamble every bean you own so recklessly in Balota or NEAF? Would you skip up to the top of the Berezino apartments with your binos?

Server-hoppers, roll those dice...

Edited by alphadogmeat
  • Like 10

Hm.

This way, you would force people to play a certain way.

But how the people play the game should be up to everyone himself.

Players shouldn't be forced to play this way, or that way.

If you want tension and action, go on high-pop and/or hardcore-mode.

If you want to play a bit more layed back an relaxed, go on low-pop and/or 3rdPP

I, personally, play DayZ just for fun. I run around, gear up, test things, help people, but I avoid action, airfields, etc.

I just don't like it, when I am forced to play in a certain way.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 8

Hm.

This way, you would force people to play a certain way.

I just don't like it, when I am forced to play in a certain way.

So you've never eaten beans, drunk Pipsi or fired a gun in the game then?  I've been forced to do all of those things.

Yeah irish there really is no logic there, to take player choice to such ridiculous extents i say i want to complete a legendary level of halo 4 with only 1 grunt. I like this idea and it has been around for a long time, server matchmaking. It would however only be feasible when the maximum player count of a stable server is many time more than just 40. Cheers for 150 players servers :)

My answer to the poll is, YES is the maximum server player count it increased to 100+

• Like 1

Very interesting topic. It seems as neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, just a new way to play the game. If DayZ worked like this, I would enjoy seeing gameplay performance. You guys should think of more creative junk like this, sheesh.

• Like 1

As it currently stands, I find the server information to be inaccurate anyway. Like if it says 10/40 are playing, I'll connect and it'll be more like 20. The time of day is usually wrong as well.

One downside to your suggestion would be if you were planning on joining with a group of friends. What if the server was 39/40 when you joined? You wouldn't know until you found out none of your friends could join. How would you address that?

• Like 1

One downside to your suggestion would be if you were planning on joining with a group of friends. What if the server was 39/40 when you joined? You wouldn't know until you found out none of your friends could join. How would you address that?

I wouldn't.  I'm Ideas, you need to speak to R&D

Whilst I can envision what you are saying and entertain the thought........    Well, it actually makes more sense then any other suggestion I have seen, this is the anti game, why entertain with anything satisfaction oriented.   In laymans terms, the more pipe laid the better the flow.

Forgive me Orlok..

• Like 2

In my own opinion, Dayz is meant to be played on maxed out servers. The more the merrier and if you don't want to PVP, stay off the coast. The map is so huge (230 km2 or so) even with 200 people on a server, everyone would have their own km2... What I like in DayZ is players interactions. Good luck with that on a 4 player server. To know the server pop gives you the liberty to play as you want.

Edited by Bundaberg

but if I want to play with my buddies, how should we know if there are enough free slots for our team on the server?

Maybe with a filter opiton for free slots like +5 / +10 / etc...?!

In my own opinion, Dayz is meant to be played on maxed out servers. The more the merrier and if you don't want to PVP, stay off the coast. The map is so huge (230 km2 or so) even with 200 people on a server, everyone would have their own km2... What I like in DayZ is players interactions. Good luck with that on a 4 player server. To know the server pop gives you the liberty to play as you want.

Provided all you want from the game is a bodycount on rails - and your first sentence implies just that - you're bang on the money.

but if I want to play with my buddies, how should we know if there are enough free slots for our team on the server?

Maybe with a filter opiton for free slots like +5 / +10 / etc...?!

See post #8.

Provided all you want from the game is a bodycount on rails - and your first sentence implies just that - you're bang on the money.

I Just like players interactions in all their forms; helping, chatting, kidding around and yes when fully geared I really enjoy shooting other fully geared players in the head. When I launch the game I don't want to take 3 hours to do it. Some people have lifes.

Edited by Bundaberg

While I totally love the idea, it should be implemented and here is why.

1) There are websites that can list how many people are on a server (metadata)

2) Server admins would know, so there clan would know and have an advantage of joe blogs.

I really enjoy shooting other fully geared players in the head. ... Some people have lifes.

Well, quite.

While I totally love the idea, it should be implemented and here is why.

1) There are websites that can list how many people are on a server (metadata)

2) Server admins would know, so there clan would know and have an advantage of joe blogs.

Oh, I don't doubt it would be easy to get around; I just like the idea of an extra level of tension to the gameplay that the uncertainty would bring.  After all, you wouldn't know the population of the area IRL - you'd need to ask (or interrogate) others to know the state of an airfied/barracks/town defences.

Ghosting, server hopping and combat logging all become high-risk ventures when you don't know what you're spawning into; even if you do consult web sites to check pops you're always going to be well behind the curve of the actual figures.

Clan servers?  They can keep their players - they'll be too frightened to break out of their little loot farms into a big scary world of uncertainty.  They'll end up on an echoing low pop all gunned up with no-one to pewpew or only half can get on the busy servers and get torn to shreds because the sniper team are waiting for enough free slots.

Join a server. Press P. View players in the server.

What about people who want to play on high pop but land on 1/40?

This sounds like it'd be far more hassle than it'd be worth. I get plenty of tension playing on 10 player servers, because there's a good chance that I'll actually be able to find loot, and there's a pretty good chance that somebody else will be trying to loot the same area. I've got no interest in waiting 10 minutes because I joined either an over populated server or an underpopulated one.

• Like 2

So you've never eaten beans, drunk Pipsi or fired a gun in the game then?  I've been forced to do all of those things.

AreYouKiddingMeBlackSS.png

Actually, you can play the game without eating and drinkin. You just need to do things rather quick. (Gear up fast, PvP-fast).

This is 100% legit and possible to do.

as Steak said: The more pipe laid the better the flow.

A game should try to cover the biggest part of people.

When forcing people to play in One way olny  , 70-80% of the actual playerbase will hate it, and leave the ship.

So "why not both"...?

Because right now, we have both. Lot of tension (hardmode and high-pop), and chilled (3rd PP and low pop).

Edited by irishroy

This idea is pretty bad unless they come up with a queue system to put you into a server with a number of players set by the user. But in that case, they could just do as they're doing now and select their own server...

No dice, yo.

• Like 1

As a solution to what some people are saying how they don't want to force players to play a certain way, they could set it to where their is a button on the Home Screen, where it randomly selects a server, so you don't know how many people are on, what the time of day is, etc. So you won't know anything about it until you figure it out yourself. Then for those who want to have a choice, they can open the Server List/Server Browser, and select one manually. Everyone wins?

70-80% of the actual playerbase will hate it, and leave the ship.

Oh, nice use of the "made-up figures I pulled out of my arse to lend weight to my argument" card there. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Oh, nice use of the "made-up figures I pulled out of my arse to lend weight to my argument" card there. :thumbsup:

Oh, nice use of made-up insults you pulled outta your arse! :beans:

Man, I didn't insult you in any way (or a least it was not my intention). So pls calm down, bro :P

Just look, how many people play on regular servers.

And then check the number of hardcore servers.

And when you assume, that ~50-70% (;)) of the regular-players like to play "chilly", the chill-players are a really big part of the game.

(that's what I was trying to say)

Edited by irishroy

I like the idea of taking this information away from the user, but as others in this thread have mentioned it's not workable to do so: Anyone with access to the server console could easily discover how many players were connected, adding an unfair advantage for super users.

Will watch this topic with interest, as I would love to see a mechanic that allowed this level of immersion to exist. DayZ is at it's finest when you don't know if there's someon else nearby...

Oh, nice use of made-up insults you pulled outta your arse! :beans:

Man, I didn't insult you in any way (or a least it was not my intention). So pls calm down, bro :P

Just look, how many people play on regular servers.

And then check the number of hardcore servers.

And when you assume, that ~50-70% ( ;)) of the regular-players like to play "chilly", the chill-players are a really big part of the game.

(that's what I was trying to say)

You don't like the idea.  Fine.  I get it.  

Just spare me all the "PvP - My cold dead hands... 131% of everybody agrees with me, so there." nonsense, OK?  It demeans us both - you for writing it and me to have to read it.