barakokula31

A few noob questions

I just bought DayZ two days ago and I've been gearing up on some low pop server (fuck you, haters!) and I'm doing quite well so far. However, I don't understand some things and the wiki isn't helping me that much, either.

So, here are some questions:

1. Why can some clothes be torn into rags and other can't? Obviously there are some exceptions (e.g. jeans), but some still don't make sense.
  2. As a follow-up to the first question, can anybody provide me with a list of clothes that can be torn into rags?
  3. What's the purpose of the Weapon Cleaning Kit?
  4. What are the best melee weapons?
  5. Which areas should I avoid if I don't want to get killed quickly?
  6. Does using a wooden splint and a morphine auto injector yield the same effects?

I'll probably have some more tomorrow (or should I say later today, because it's almost 1:30 a.m. right now :P), but those are all I can remember for now.

Tshirts - hoodies - check shirts im sure theres more cant think atm 

Not sure the cleaning kit has much of a purpose atm - it used to upgrade a weapons condition one step

Axes are the best melee weapons

Avoid airfields and any military installations - and main coastal towns like berenzino, Elektro, and so forth

Yes they do the same thing fix broken bones

Edited by tiadashi
  • Like 2

1. I assume not all clothes are so easy to tear apart.

2. try simple shirts and hoodies

3. Good question. I guess it's for "fixing" low damaged guns, Waiting for a response too

4. Pitchfork, Axe. If you aim to the head it's pretty damn good

5. Airlines and military bases. People camp there for loot in high pop server and because these are the best places to get some fine military loot, There are more people well equipped and very unfriendly there.

Also points of interest in big town.

Basiclly, wherever you feel it might be pretty interesting and worthwhile to loot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Not sure the cleaning kit has much of a purpose atm - it used to upgrade a weapons condition one step

It use to do it? Was it removed or something?

All the other answers were pretty much what I expected.

I just bought DayZ two days ago and I've been gearing up on some low pop server (fuck you, haters!) and I'm doing quite well so far. However, I don't understand some things and the wiki isn't helping me that much, either.

1. Why can some clothes be torn into rags and other can't? Obviously there are some exceptions (e.g. jeans), but some still don't make sense.
  2. As a follow-up to the first question, can anybody provide me with a list of clothes that can be torn into rags?
  6. Does using a wooden splint and a morphine auto injector yield the same effects?

I'll probably have some more tomorrow (or should I say later today, because it's almost 1:30 a.m. right now :P), but those are all I can remember for now.

1 Not sure, I guess the devs havn't had time.

2 Hoodies tshirts check shirts( I think)

3 If you have a worn cleaning kit and a Damaged or badly damaged weapon, it will set it to worn. If you have a pristine cleaning kit apperently it will make the weapon pristine. BUG: using worn cleaning kit on pristine weap downgrades it.

4 Fire Axe used to be one hit kill, Splitting axe and garden hoe were two hit kills. As of now there is a placeholder for damage but the axe is still best.

5 The Airfields, Large towns,ect. Military bases are dangerous but in my travels tend to have fewer people.  http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplu Theres a map.

EDIT: Don't expect to not find people at the airport on something like a 4 player server. This happened to my squad and I twice.

6 Havn't tested this.

Also play with a friend. Its much more fun.

Edited by 99ytrewq911
  • Like 1

1. Because video game
  2. T-Shirts, Hoodies, Checked Shirts, Tactical Shirts
  3. To restore weapons from "Badly Damaged" or "Damaged" condition to "Worn" condition
  4. Currently, melee weapons are more or less broken. But the normal order would be: Firefighter Axe, Splitting Axe/Farming Hoe/Pitchfork, then everything else. Picking up anything other than what I listed is generally not worth it
  5. Airfields/strips, Military Bases/Camps, large towns/cities (Berezino, Svetlojarsk, Elektrozavodsk, Chernogorsk, Chapaevsk, etc)
  6. Yup... not quite sure how either fixes a broken limb, but y'know, DayZ is all about selective realism
  • Like 1

Large towns off the coast are generally safe on low population servers. The riskiest from my exp. are Berezino, Electro, and Svet in that order. Always be on the listen for any gunfire when approaching a town. Airfields and military bases are dangerous on every server, regardless of pop. These are prime spots for server-hoppers so keep your time in these locations to a minimum and be constantly on the lookout, even around buildings you've just been in, and listen for the reloading sound of someone logging in. I'm not exagerating when I say that every single time I have visited the military base between Stary and Vybor I have heard someone log in. That's generally my cue to book it and leave, but if I do run into someone logging in at that site, it will be a KoS encounter as my thinking is they are merely bandits restocking. Usually I hole up somewhere a ways away with a good view of the compound. Not once have I seen someone leave. They just head back to where-ever they logged in, and then hop to the next server.

The generally safest areas to find supplies are NW towns, west of Stary. Vybor, Putoshka, and Lopatino are my typical haunts when I'm re-stocking. My advice if on a high-pop server is not to spend a lot of time searching for stuff anywhere near the coast, but scavange whatever food you can find, and top up your hydration, and start treking inland to the West to get kitted up.It's good to get familiar with the map and landmarks.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the replies! And as I said, the other answers are as I expected. I'll post here if I have any more questions.

The weapon cleaning kit is supposed to mend damaged weapons. I suspect it works just like the sewing kit, which changes any state (better than) badly damaged to worn. The weird part, though, is that all weapons are found pristine and if weapons are damaged by gunfire (a piece of cloth in which you hold your weapon is shot) they always seem to be reduced to the ruined state, which the cleaning kit can't repair. For now, it doesn't have a purpose I suppose, but when weapons can also be found in various states it should be a necessity

• Like 1

A new day, a new batch of questions!

1. Which parts of the body does the Mosin one shot kill to? Just the head, neck and chest?
  2. What about the M4?
  3. What are the best attachments for the M4 for fighting at longer ranges?
  4. When will infections be added to the game?
  5. When are they going to fix the zoom/FoV on all of the scopes and sights?

A new day, a new batch of questions!

• Which parts of the body does the Mosin one shot kill to? Just the head, neck and chest?
  • What about the M4?
  • What are the best attachments for the M4 for fighting at longer ranges?
  • When will infections be added to the game?
  • When are they going to fix the zoom/FoV on all of the scopes and sights?

1) The ones you listed, on a full healt and full blood character. Clearly, if he's low healt, even a leg shot can be a death sentence.

Leg shots almost always break legs, arm shots break arms.

2) Same as above, but 5.56 is a little less powerful.

Take in consideration, for both, that clothing and items inside clothes can protect the body from part of the damage provided by the shot, so even a chest shot might not be a one shot kill.

3) The mapgul MP parts for the accuracy, the bipod for the same motivation and the ACOG as a scope.

4) Basic ones were in at the beginning, now aren't. Will be added when more important things are sorted, I guess.

Now, those would probably ruin the experience.

5) Who knows. Not very high priority working in that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response. I've also given beans to everyone in this thread. Enjoy!  :beans:

The weapon cleaning kit is supposed to mend damaged weapons. I suspect it works just like the sewing kit, which changes any state (better than) badly damaged to worn. The weird part, though, is that all weapons are found pristine and if weapons are damaged by gunfire (a piece of cloth in which you hold your weapon is shot) they always seem to be reduced to the ruined state, which the cleaning kit can't repair. For now, it doesn't have a purpose I suppose, but when weapons can also be found in various states it should be a necessity

My magnum got badly damaged by a zed that ruined my jacket.

Weapon kit fixed it back up to worn again without a hitch.

So they do have their place. Fairly easy to find though so not sure if I'd keep on on me at all times.

But if you do keep on you I'd suggest not using the same spot as you keep your gun :)

Kinda like don't keep morphine in your pants.

• Like 1

hey guys after watching frankies videos i noticed a blue i guess its global side chat is this available in standalone? and also i noticed on the right side of the screen icons to show levels of your hunger,blood,thirst stuff like this, is that also available in standalone or is this only for the arama 2 MOD???

hey guys after watching frankies videos i noticed a blue i guess its global side chat is this available in standalone? and also i noticed on the right side of the screen icons to show levels of your hunger,blood,thirst stuff like this, is that also available in standalone or is this only for the arama 2 MOD???

That would be from the mod.

Things rippable into bandages:

Hoodies, bandanas, shirts, checkered shitrts

Have you tried trackies yet mate? I came across a lovely pair of lime green tracky pants the other day heh. It didn't occur to me to try to rip rags from them. My guess would be no, but I dunno.

1. logics, alpha.

2. Hoodies, Shirts.

3. Repair damaged or badly damaged weapons to worn.

4. Fire-axe.

5. All airfields and military bases.

6. Fixes broken legs and / or fractures, so yes.

Edited by DMentMan

I disagree on one thing with the above responses: melee weapons ;)

I really like the machete and (if you find one) the combat knife. They are one handed weapons, you can hit faster with them. You can also equip them faster. Aim a little above the heads, watch how the weapons are swung and you will learn to almost always hit the head. You also don't have those highly visible monsters on your back. I also preffer the improvised backpack for that reason (put rope on a burlap sack for a courier bag and again add sticks for the backpack  - courier bag must be empty.)

Whatever you do, take some time to learn the art of boxing against zeds, you will sooner or later need it against the rabbid bambis that run through the high spawn locations and try to knock out everyone. I know ppl that carry no melee weappon at all and only use fists.

Edited by bautschi