Sign in to follow this  
uberfrag

Why is development time being poured into more new towns?

Ok im a little lost on this one and I hoped maybe people could help me understand the logic on what the developers are thinking with spending their time on making more new towns in the game.

When I currently look at the map I see LOTS of towns already, where is the need for adding more of them?  I could perhaps understand adding another large capital city somewhere in the north part of the map but just more run of the mill towns with run of the mill buildings all acting as nothing more than loot spawn locations seems like total nonsense to me even in the grander scheme of things.

I've seen some great ideas in terms of new areas to be developed which fit in the current theme of things such as an abandoned prison, larger hospital complex, abandoned theme park, underground complex such as an abandoned nuclear silo or an abandoned mall of some kind...I mean the options are endless in terms of would could be added and they would make great locations on the map to drag people into other areas outside the coast. 

So where is the thinking from the dev team here? I know they rarely give answers directly to these questions so what is the community view?

• Like 6

I know a prison is confirmed, i beleive there is a roadplan (private) that the map makers are chugging through with additions to the map, hopefully after they are done with these towns they will move on to stuff youve mentioned, also to note is in the latest devblog theyve completed work on a "graveyard set" that will help them add to the atmosphere of the apocalypse. I guess whe'll have to wait and see.

It makes sense to me, to first take care of some basic things first, and then move up to more complex ones, such as abandoned theme parks etc etc.

Edited by So Sexy

Chernarus is a gloomy, rural post-soviet state. It isn't the kind of place where you're likely to have found theme parks or anything like that, it would mostly be villages and small towns.

Chernarus is a gloomy, rural post-soviet state. It isn't the kind of place where you're likely to have found theme parks or anything like that, it would mostly be villages and small towns.

But that's boring as hell. Let's skip the reality for a bit and make things more interesting. You have a ton of DayZ mods who came up with silos, armored camps with mazes, weird towers, etc., it's time we skip the whole boring "small town" thing.

Edited by esuoh
  • Like 5

But that's boring as hell. Let's skip the reality for a bit and make things more interesting. You have a ton of DayZ mods who came up with silos, armored camps with mazes, weird towers, etc., it's time we skip the whole boring "small town" thing.

chernobyl_theusindependent.jpg

• Like 8

See, now someone say again we immediately lock topics if they were to say something bad about the gamedevelopment.

Please understand, however, that the mapdevelopers aren't necessarily the ones that develop code and functions for the game itself. I don't even know if they would be able to do that. This prior statement of mine does not mean, that they're worse people or staff for the game development, it just means it's not their expertise. They don't need to stop gamedevelopment to add new towns.

• Like 4

Only if we can have rail guns and LGs too then.

• Like 1

See, now someone say again we immediately lock topics if they were to say something bad about the gamedevelopment.

Nobody said that?

No way! Theme park would be awesome!

7.-Spreepark-Berlin.jpg

18re0atxudiiqjpg.jpg

18rdzbz24nhktjpg.jpg

18rdxs6gq3oe0jpg.jpg

• Like 1

^_^

Well in any case I think other things other than hats and villages are a good idea, how about....vehicles! :O

how about....vehicles! :o

Yes.

Right now...I think the biggest problem is the zombies going through walls. THE biggest problem. Totally ruins the game. I know it's in Alpha but why not focus most of the efforts on that huge problem? The amount of towns right now is good! Maybe one far north, center of the map would be good. But then that's it.

• Like 3

One possible reason for the new towns in the north is to motivate people to actually play in the northern areas of the map. Before the addition of Svetlojarsk, people hardly went beyond NE Airfield.

• Like 1

I really want a zoo to be in the game, an old busted zoo where the animals have escaped, they then have reasons to spawn none native animals into the game.

• Like 2

I like how the map is shaping up, I wouldn't want the map to become too "Americanized" to the point of being another Vegas or anything of that sort.

I would however love to see larger buildings such as three-story shopping centers and factories and such, that would be interesting to see.

I also like that they are adding in new towns/villages or cities because the map gets quiet dull after 1035 hours of gameplay, lol...

• Like 1

I like how the map is shaping up, I wouldn't want the map to become too "Americanized" to the point of being another Vegas or anything of that sort.

I would however love to see larger buildings such as three-story shopping centers and factories and such, that would be interesting to see.

I also like that they are adding in new towns/villages or cities because the map gets quiet dull after 1035 hours of gameplay, lol...

What most people seem to forget is that they've put a lot of research into Chernarus to make it feel authentic. Polluting the map with buildings that really don't belong there break the immersion. Which is why the mod often felt a little incoherent. Although I'm all for adding new eyecatching authentic objects in the game.

Quite honestly, I wish they had a little more vast wilderness with things to do there that don't require buildings. For example, spawning certain animals that drop rare meat or fur to make clothes of.

Edited by Ghostflux
  • Like 4

Right now...I think the biggest problem is the zombies going through walls. THE biggest problem. Totally ruins the game. I know it's in Alpha but why not focus most of the efforts on that huge problem? The amount of towns right now is good! Maybe one far north, center of the map would be good. But then that's it.

That is not the biggest problem, maybe the biggest aesthetic seeing as the game is based around a zombie apocalypse.

Biggest problem imo is lack of optimization, desync and clipping through things which leads to your death. mainly things that lead to your death

• Like 2

Thats why they have a separate dev team working on it, its just a matter of time.

Would really love an abandoned theme park nothing huge, maybe there was a special event or something when shit hit the fan. Im pretty sure there would be children in a place like chernarus who would want entertainment. Would like to see more variety in shops maybe a large supermarket, because once you've looted one store you've looted them all.

Dean commented on this I believe .. Apparently the zombies follow a "path" outside of buildings, so they need to implement the buildings first before they can draw in these "paths". & to my understanding each one needs to be done individually. Wouldn't make much sense to draw paths first & add buildings later.

• Like 4

What most people seem to forget is that they've put a lot of research into Chernarus to make it feel authentic. Polluting the map with buildings that really don't belong there break the immersion. Which is why the mod often felt a little incoherent. Although I'm all for adding new eyecatching authentic objects in the game.

Quite honestly, I wish they had a little more vast wilderness with things to do there that don't require buildings. For example, spawning certain animals that drop rare meat or fur to make clothes of.

I hate the wilderness. It needs to all burn to the damn ground and be nothing but concrete and steel lol.

From personal experience i hate Northern Michigan to much wilderness and back road country bumpkin crap.

• Like 1

I hate the wilderness. It needs to all burn to the damn ground and be nothing but concrete and steel lol.

From personal experience i hate Northern Michigan to much wilderness and back road country bumpkin crap.

Fuck that lol I love the wilderness I'm actually worried there wont be enough left once they've finished the map. They need to get some wolves and bears in there to liven things up a bit though

Dean commented on this I believe .. Apparently the zombies follow a "path" outside of buildings, so they need to implement the buildings first before they can draw in these "paths". & to my understanding each one needs to be done individually. Wouldn't make much sense to draw paths first & add buildings later.

Oh my god! Somebody who listens lol your a rare specimen these days. Its a HUGE job and will take a lot of work which is why they have another team working purely on ai pathfinding for zeds and animals. Ive played around with navmeshes before and it can be an absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

Ok im a little lost on this one and I hoped maybe people could help me understand the logic on what the developers are thinking with spending their time on making more new towns in the game.

When I currently look at the map I see LOTS of towns already, where is the need for adding more of them?  I could perhaps understand adding another large capital city somewhere in the north part of the map but just more run of the mill towns with run of the mill buildings all acting as nothing more than loot spawn locations seems like total nonsense to me even in the grander scheme of things.

I've seen some great ideas in terms of new areas to be developed which fit in the current theme of things such as an abandoned prison, larger hospital complex, abandoned theme park, underground complex such as an abandoned nuclear silo or an abandoned mall of some kind...I mean the options are endless in terms of would could be added and they would make great locations on the map to drag people into other areas outside the coast. 

So where is the thinking from the dev team here? I know they rarely give answers directly to these questions so what is the community view?

The dev guy making the new towns only knows about one thing, making towns (well, mapping). Forbid him from that wont make for a better dev speed in other areas.

i am really torn on the topic. due to the higher run speed and all the additional buildings, i miss that feeling of being lost in the woods. on the other hand, more settlements means more loot spawns, so the scavenging (and associated interaction with other players) gets spread out instead of having three major hotspots, which isnt a bad thing...

ah well.. i wont judge it before its finished..