Ghandi

No PK server: * The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen *

Reserved slots is certainly something we'd consider once that possibility exists (which can't be done within a mod).

I disagree with non PVP servers for one main reason: It allows you to acquire uber loot with a very minimized risk when compared to normal servers. Zeds really are no trouble. If your in a town or any mil areas you run to building kill all loot rinse repeat. If you find helo crash' date=' stay 200-300 meters out depending on your gun and shoot the zeds without aggro. I don't think zeds were ever meant to be the main antagonists of this game. I think players were, but zeds set the mood as well as provide an extra thing to watch out for while fighting other players.

Eitherway, if there are non-pvp servers, it is not fair that they can have a safer experience than all of us. Maybe if they love their pve so much, don't let them get military loot. There is no reason to have mil guns than to kill players anyways.

[/quote']

Well if the ammo wasn't as sparse they'd be pretty good at killing hordes of zombies too.

Rocket did state that flat out PVP was never his intention for DayZ. I'm talking like Straight up Deathmatching that a lot of people do right now. But he also likes Bandits. Because it helps bring real fear and emotion into the game. Being a Bandit is one thing tho, and playing this game JUST to kill other players are two completely different things and one of them I am opposed to. A Bandit is someone who tries to survive by any means necessary, who is just as likely to kill another player as work with them if it coincides with their goals. I guess the main difference is Bandits kill to survive (for the food, or gear, or maybe the other player looked threatening), COD FPS Junkies kill because they want too, and 9/10 they won't even loot the corpse of who they killed because they didn't need anything to begin with, or if the player that was killed even had anything to loot (seen a lot of people sniping newbies fresh off the beaches lately, that is just immensely wrong, way to turn people away from a game jerks)

Well what is wrong for playing the game just to kill? And what are you to say that Bandits HAVE to be people who only survive by any means necessary.

First off why do people say CoD junkies? You realize there are more logged players on BF3 than CoD these days? So isn't it BF3 junkies... and isn't that slightly more redeemable than CoD? I mean i hate CoD love BF and Arma. Eitherway this is a lame excuse, someone's like of a certain game shouldn't matter

Why do I personally play Dayz? I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. There is NO OTHER game on earth (not even the main Arma 2 game) that allows me to HUNT players on a scale and with the mechanics that are included in Dayz. I have learned to notice when and where zeds spawn. Where they wander. What loot spawns where and if something that doesn't belong is there. Animal spawns often or not in certain areas? Dead zeds? Which way were they running ect... Density of people in certain areas. Where do people set camp, how many use that camp and when do they log on.

It's like they say, there is no hunting like hunting a human. Something that can fight back makes it super fun.

I also believe that as this game is based on a shooter and people that play shooters love hunting other players..... yes, 90% of the people will be hostile. If anything that should make it FUNNER for the 10%. You have a super threatening world that forces you to sneak and always watch over your back game. Rather than a hold your hand lets group up and shoot zeds in doorways cuz that somehow is hard and makes me hard game.

Oh noes! a server plays a way the OP doesnt like. Whatever will he do?! Theres no other servers to choose from!

Oh noes! a server plays a way the OP doesnt like. Whatever will he do?! Theres no other servers to choose from!

Congratulations, you entirely missed the point that was made.

Reserved slots is certainly something we'd consider once that possibility exists (which can't be done within a mod).

Good to hear :)

I hope I don't sound unreasonable as I'm not trying to be, just talking about long-term guidelines. I try to use the forums by the definition (discussing and exchange ideas)

It would be interesting to see which servers would end up most popular if deviations like this were allowed. Since it's alpha, why couldn't this kind of feature at least be tested?

I would love to see a pistols only server myself...

my 2¢

In all reality, i think one would get bored rather quickly without pvp. Zombies aren't ATM capable of making you even think about getting a little on edge.

The devs are most likely going to have to deputize some full-time people just to keep an eye on what people are doing with their servers. There are literally hundreds of "farming" servers with low Maximum Players and all sorts of weird carebear rules going on. Sad days.

The devs are most likely going to have to deputize some full-time people just to keep an eye on what people are doing with their servers. There are literally hundreds of "farming" servers with low Maximum Players and all sorts of weird carebear rules going on. Sad days.

none of which would matter with a decentralized hive :D no extra policing required

It would be interesting to see which servers would end up most popular if deviations like this were allowed. Since it's alpha' date=' why couldn't this kind of feature at least be tested?

I would love to see a pistols only server myself...

my 2¢

[/quote']

haha, i actually might enjoy a pistol only server. lol. imagine the revolver snipers in chern XD. reminds me of those pistol and grenade BC2 servers. good days... of course hatches has to also be allowed.

Why are you worried about "custom" server? Even if it will be easier to find loot.. or to totally farm, is really a problem? I mean you gonna have the same stuff, over and over.. to do what? It's not that having 3 DMR is better than having 1.. and you're probably going to die because of an hacker on another server.. so farming or not doesn't make any difference.

It would have been different if you were able to collect vehicles, but they sits on the server so it wouldn't make any difference.

Stop raging.. leave to those ppl their fun, it wouldn't change your PvP'ing.. mostly because they wouldn't PvP with you at all. :)

I personally love the thought of pking on such a server.

If they're allowed to host a server just for pve why can't I host a server just for my clan.

Either the same set of rules are applied evenly or you allow admins to make their own rules per server.

I don't like PK'ing, but this isn't the answer. If you don't like the game as it is don't run a server, or wait for a variant that has some controls built in.

Though if you are running your own items database/Hive I guess it doesn't bother anyone else, Rocket can't do much about it, and there's no advantage gained. I think you'd still want an automated mechanism though.

If they're allowed to host a server just for pve why can't I host a server just for my clan.

Either the same set of rules are applied evenly or you allow admins to make their own rules per server.

If someone gets banned for it, they did indeed break the rules. I haven't seen such a report yet (name scheme is already an issue as it is, so that will be a reason for a contact).

Well i like to have a few no PK Servers, and we just got killed several times on that particular server... by players of course.

To these guys: If you love PvP so much, why don't you play on the other 99,9% of the servers? I'd say you have a great number of choices by now. It's especially frustrating if you don't expect to be PKd (because it says NO PK), and waste hours of time, just to get killed by a... knucklehead.

I don't like PvP, none of my friends like PvP. We prefer teamwork. I don't understand what's so "noob" or strange about this. Especially killing people who just spawned and have nothing in their hands, great job, my heroes. :rolleyes:

I like this Mod for its realism, tactics, teamwork and atmosphere, but not against other players. I LIKE CO-OP!

All THIS teached me for the last 4 weeks is to not trust others and kill everyone i see, and i don't like that. I only shoot if shot at first and i will not change that. I'd rather stop playing in the long run.

Maybe the host wants to focus on testing zeds for the moment? After all' date=' we are actually supposed to be testing instead of running around killing other players all day.

[/quote']

That's what you're going with? Super weak.

Blacklist the server. Job's done move on.

Right before blacklisting, slay entire server's pop. Job Done

At least you can get on this server. Although I think it's the balance of both types of play that makes Dayz work and restricting either type of play is lame and ultimately damaging the Mod.

The locked ones though are the ones that really piss me off. Not because I can't get on, but because I wonder what the hell they are doing.

I suspect farming. I have no proof obviously but there seems to be dozens of servers perma locked. Is there ever a legitimate reason for a server that is locked 24/7 ?

Let me see if I get this, some where out there someone is having fun, and Ghandi is pissed that he can't ruin their day by sending them back to spawn?

I get the point that it would be easier to collect loot on a server like this, but by the same logic a server with a 25 player limit is easier to collect loot on. We should all bitch on the internet to get 25 player servers banned.

Most of the excitement of the game involves PvP and the risk of shhoting or not shooting first, but if a handful of noobs want to play on a friendly server I don't see an issue.

Then you should find another game. Or wait to see if this one or a variant gains some PvP controls. Because the game as it currently stands is pretty much designed to encourage PvP.

i personally love the idea of some no pvp servers.. some people want to just be left the fuck alone FFS whats the harm in giving people what they want?

Hmmph... I can't disagree with that.

Well for starters, it fractures the community into groups, while the purpose of this whole experiment is to explore a singular group dynamic. Rocket WANTS a PVP dynamic present in the final game. But how the hell is he supposed to evaluate the effects of new gameplay mechanics and even more subtle game play tweaks if all the PVPers are on one set of servers and all the PVEers are on another? As far as an alpha test goes it does not support the stated goal. If he is going to be able to fine tune the interactions between PVP and PVE he needs both groups playing in the same space. Any other options will only make things more difficult (if not impossible) to evaluate. It would be like developing and balancing two seperate games at the same time, when all he really desires is one game comprised of both.

Furthermore (as already mentioned) if you are going to have this split you have to PERMANANTLY keep both sides seperate. You cannot have people loot farming on the PVE servers and then PVPing on another server with said loot.

In my own opinion, if Rocket decides to do something like this in the future, well...whatever (I hope he does not) but now is definitely not the right time for it.

Personally' date=' I think Rocket should make a version with everything BUT zombies. This way the pk'ers can all get on there and have fun killing themselves while the rest of us play the game trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. You know, like what the game is supposed to be about.

[/quote']

Oh, if only this actually had a chance at happening I wouldnt be able to talk myself out of logging in so easily. I mean sure I could go pick a multiplayer game out of the massive pile that offer a more rewarding PVP experience....but then I wouldnt be able to die to a guy that server hopped for all of his gear then trolled me the second I move inland for little or no gain. The community enjoys reminding players like us that that is our fault though. All The the work being done on urging players to work together and zombie behavior should automatically tell you this game really just wants you to grab a gun and go pvp right?..../browsesteamstore

__redruM said:

Most of the excitement of the game involves PvP and the risk of shhoting or not shooting first' date=' but if a handful of noobs want to play on a friendly server I don't see an issue.

For me and the people i know it's more like frustration than excitement, because if you never shoot first... where is the excitement? Having a Player in front of me with a weapon is more like "well, some more wasted hours". I don't like to be forced to shoot others, i only do it in self defense (if i get the chance).

And i resent the notion that not PKing is noob, it's a choice how you want to play the game. I much rather like to help people and work together.

Edited by xenomat

SO a server where you have one major game design feature disabled(banned)? -__-

i personally love the idea of some no pvp servers.. some people want to just be left the fuck alone FFS whats the harm in giving people what they want?

Hmmph... I can't disagree with that.

Well for starters' date=' it fractures the community into groups, while the purpose of this whole experiment is to explore a singular group dynamic. Rocket WANTS a PVP dynamic present in the final game. But how the hell is he supposed to evaluate the effects of new gameplay mechanics and even more subtle game play tweaks if all the PVPers are on one set of servers and all the PVEers are on another? As far as an alpha test goes it does not support the stated goal. If he is going to be able to fine tune the interactions between PVP and PVE he needs both groups playing in the same space. Any other options will only make things more difficult (if not impossible) to evaluate. It would be like developing and balancing two seperate games at the same time, when all he really desires is one game comprised of both.

Furthermore (as already mentioned) if you are going to have this split you have to PERMANANTLY keep both sides seperate. You cannot have people loot farming on the PVE servers and then PVPing on another server with said loot.

right time for it.

[/quote']

After reading a few pages before interjecting, I read your comment and you pretty much sum up exactly what I was going to say, Very nice post.

Though I have noticed a little fragmentation already, for example, due to servers being able to wind the clock back or forward with a restart. I'm not complaining as such and can completely understand that most people want to play in the daytime, however, I personally enjoy night play alot and am currently hard pressed to find a night server with a decent ping to my location and when I do they are never more than 1/3 full. Seems like night play is getting shunned by the player base, such a shame as I personally find it alot more tense and suspenseful. I'm personally fine with using flashlights, flares and chems, just a shame to see so many night servers deserted lately.

Anyway back on topic, to the chap who says he should be able to password his own server etc because he paid for it, you have the wrong attitude mate, id get long-winded about it but people have already covered what your motivations should be, should you choose to host Day Z. Simply put, your not entitled to special treatment because you host but don't take that as a slap in the face, most people will be grateful should you continue to host the game, just play by the rules please, they're there with good reason. :)