Ghandi

No PK server: * The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen *

I'm sure you can scrape by' date=' not playing on that server :)

[/quote']

"Hey guys, kind of maybe follow the rules but only if it suits your fancy. No? Okay. No big deal, really. It was honestly just a friendly suggestion. Go about your business undermining the integrity of the greatest game ever made by giving people a safe haven on which to gather valuable items and equipment which they can then take to other, less tear-soaked servers and wreak havoc on the community. Yes, sir. You're really doing us all a favor, honestly. We shouldn't have even bothered bringing it up. No, no. It's cool. We'll let ourselves out and call a cab. Really. Not a problem. Thanks for having us, though.

I love this person, for various reasons, one of which, is displayed above.

I guess he didn't read that i don't play on this server.

I'm sure you can scrape by' date=' not playing on that server :)

[/quote']

"Hey guys, kind of maybe follow the rules but only if it suits your fancy. No? Okay. No big deal, really. It was honestly just a friendly suggestion. Go about your business undermining the integrity of the greatest game ever made by giving people a safe haven on which to gather valuable items and equipment which they can then take to other, less tear-soaked servers and wreak havoc on the community. Yes, sir. You're really doing us all a favor, honestly. We shouldn't have even bothered bringing it up. No, no. It's cool. We'll let ourselves out and call a cab. Really. Not a problem. Thanks for having us, though.

I love this person, for various reasons, one of which, is displayed above.

I guess he didn't read that i don't play on this server.

He wasn't accusing you of playing on the server, he was addressing the fact you didn't seem to realise. That its not simply a matter of avoiding the server but upholding a general principle, one which was put forward by the guy who created the mod to begin with, its not the server hosts "game" to do so as he wishes, this is Rockets baby, he had a vision for the mod, all Zed is saying is, in essence, "respect it".

i personally love the idea of some no pvp servers.. some people want to just be left the fuck alone FFS whats the harm in giving people what they want?

Because it's as bad as entering an empty/almost empty server' date=' there's no risk and it's far too easy to just farm dangerous high loot areas that normally have other players there to keep things interesting.

[/quote']

"No risk?" What do you call zombies? I'm not going to argue that there should be no bandits, but it sure would be nice to have people actually *playing* as bandits -- in other words, killing you for your gear -- instead of all the COD jerks who shoot you with an M4 when you have nothing but a flashlight, then laugh at what a "noob" you are.

I guess i am not a "carebear". Anyways i could care less about continuing this as it will probably just spin out of someones controll. Take care and have fun in dayz :)

i personally love the idea of some no pvp servers.. some people want to just be left the fuck alone FFS whats the harm in giving people what they want?

Because it's as bad as entering an empty/almost empty server' date=' there's no risk and it's far too easy to just farm dangerous high loot areas that normally have other players there to keep things interesting.

[/quote']

"No risk?" What do you call zombies? I'm not going to argue that there should be no bandits, but it sure would be nice to have people actually *playing* as bandits -- in other words, killing you for your gear -- instead of all the COD jerks who shoot you with an M4 when you have nothing but a flashlight, then laugh at what a "noob" you are.

Whether you love or hate PK, the issue simply isn't up for debate (technically, ironically, it is in this thread). The rules were very clearly laid out for the server hosts when this mod went world wide. Either they respect or abide by the rules or discontinue hosting.

I love how bleeding heart carebears are jumping to the defense of this server.

Lets patch in a hugging animation.

And I love how tough people talk on the internet.

[/quote']

Whether you love or hate PK, the issue simply isn't up for debate (technically, ironically, it is in this thread). The rules were very clearly laid out for the server hosts when this mod went world wide. Either they respect or abide by the rules or discontinue hosting.

Yes, agreed. The server admin should be warned or shut down. I just wish there were fewer jerkwads. I don't mind getting killed for my shiny sniper rifle. I do mind having someone run over me with a truck because ha ha screw you. Rocket is going for something approaching realism, and I honestly believe and hope that if there were a real zombocalypse that 40% of the population wouldn't turn into psychopaths. But if wishes were toilet paper, or something like that....

Given how many servers there are these days I don't have any problem with this and kind of hope it is allowed in the future since it isn't now. There are already plenty of servers with only 1-3 people playing so I don't feel like this would necessarily lead to people looting this server heavily just because there are no bandits. Plus, at least until the communication mechanics are worked out, it would be a nice change of pace to play on a server where you don't have to assume it's kill or be killed every time you come across another human.

Since this is alpha it might be worth a shot to let a few servers do this just to see what happens. I imagine the first few weeks would be rough as every bandit that hears about it would join and kill all he could until banned, but after that I bet it would lead to some interesting feedback on developing incentives and mechanics for group play on regular servers.

I honestly believe and hope that if there were a real zombocalypse that 40% of the population wouldn't turn into psychopaths.

trust me bro it would be far far worse than 40%

Given how many servers there are these days I don't have any problem with this and kind of hope it is allowed in the future since it isn't now. There are already plenty of servers with only 1-3 people playing so I don't feel like this would necessarily lead to people looting this server heavily just because there are no bandits. Plus' date=' at least until the communication mechanics are worked out, it would be a nice change of pace to play on a server where you don't have to assume it's kill or be killed every time you come across another human.

Since this is alpha it might be worth a shot to let a few servers do this just to see what happens. I imagine the first few weeks would be rough as every bandit that hears about it would join and kill all he could until banned, but after that I bet it would lead to some interesting feedback on developing incentives and mechanics for group play on regular servers.

[/quote']

But Rocket has already stated that he is aiming for a unified rule set across all servers (he was referring to things like third person and cross-hairs etc.) But has also said that PvP is here to stay, so when you take both those statements into consideration then, realistically, these kind of servers is not going to fit with his long term plans for the mod. Not to mention the fact the server is already explicitly disobeying the existing rule set laid out here. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

Given how many servers there are these days I don't have any problem with this and kind of hope it is allowed in the future since it isn't now. There are already plenty of servers with only 1-3 people playing so I don't feel like this would necessarily lead to people looting this server heavily just because there are no bandits. Plus' date=' at least until the communication mechanics are worked out, it would be a nice change of pace to play on a server where you don't have to assume it's kill or be killed every time you come across another human.

[/quote']

But Rocket has already stated that he is aiming for a unified rule set across all servers (he was referring to things like third person and cross-hairs etc.) But has also said that PvP is here to stay, so when you take both those statements into consideration then, realistically, these kind of servers is not going to fit with his long term plans for the mod. Not to mention the fact the server is already explicitly disobeying the existing rule set laid out here. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

I should have been clearer that I agree the server should be banned because this is against the rules. I was just trying to say that since this is alpha it might be worth experimenting with a few servers like this just to see what happens.

[/quote']

Zombies are not a threat unless you are new to the game, I'll admit that in 1.7.1.2 (or was it 4?) they were dangerous but once you'd gotten used to not being able to crouch walk/run it wasn't that bad, and since they made them easier in 1.5 I just run into a building and hack them up with the OP hatchet now.

Hmmph... I can't disagree with that.

But Rocket has already stated that he is aiming for a unified rule set across all servers (he was referring to things like third person and cross-hairs etc.) But has also said that PvP is here to stay' date=' so when you take both those statements into consideration then, realistically, these kind of servers is not going to fit with his long term plans for the mod. Not to mention the fact the server is already explicitly disobeying the existing rule set laid out here. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

[/quote']

If that's the way the rules are going then I'm not hosting a server anymore. I'm paying for it, it should be how my clan and anyone else who wants the same rules, wants to play. Why would I pay for something I have pretty much no control over? I can understand most of the current limitations due to the hive existing, but I don't see playing on a server with CH on being a huge game-changing advantage.

That would be like DICE saying the every BF3 server must run 64 player maps, no vehicles and FF off. Would you pay money simply to say you "own" that server? If it's going to be that controlling, then DICE (or whatever dev) can go ahead and set up and pay for their own servers for us to play on. I wouldn't pay and many others wouldn't either.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the hive was moved to private servers. I think that would eliminate most of the issues mentioned. That'd be a much greater incentive for people to host a server. I think it'd be a lot more immerse, since you'd be interacting with the same people more often. Many people already tend to stick to the same server as it is.

i find the name of the thread-starter highly amusing in combination of the thing he actually brings to light.

@ Yar987, no server has been blacklisted for editing the difficulty setting, so I don't get your point regarding CH on/off, heck we even promote sharing that info by putting it in the name of the server.

Private hives --> resurrects, fake stats (edited # of kills etc), not legit obtained weapons, teleporting, want more?

The game is in alpha and if it hadn't been for the game having close to 20.000 concurrent players at peak (atm, and that number rises quickly, like really quickly), but more like 200, the mod would still only have "official servers". Now that it's impossible to fund this many servers, it's really great that hosters/communities provide the mod with servers for others to play on, but they have to understand they are supporting the development of this mod towards the future. People already abuse the system as it is, GSP only hosted servers then? So you can only rent it and have no access to files or anything? Kinda like CoD or which game was it?

@ Yar987' date=' no server has been blacklisted for editing the difficulty setting, so I don't get your point regarding CH on/off, heck we even promote sharing that info by putting it in the name of the server.

Private hives --> resurrects, fake stats (edited # of kills etc), not legit obtained weapons, teleporting, want more?

The game is in alpha and if it hadn't been for the game having close to 20.000 concurrent players at peak (atm, and that number rises quickly, like really quickly), but more like 200, the mod would still only have "official servers". Now that it's impossible to fund this many servers, it's really great that hosters/communities provide the mod with servers for others to play on, but they have to understand they are supporting the development of this mod towards the future. People already abuse the system as it is, GSP only hosted servers then? So you can only rent it and have no access to files or anything? Kinda like CoD or which game was it?

[/quote']

Very good point. This i care about :)

I disagree with non PVP servers for one main reason: It allows you to acquire uber loot with a very minimized risk when compared to normal servers. Zeds really are no trouble. If your in a town or any mil areas you run to building kill all loot rinse repeat. If you find helo crash, stay 200-300 meters out depending on your gun and shoot the zeds without aggro. I don't think zeds were ever meant to be the main antagonists of this game. I think players were, but zeds set the mood as well as provide an extra thing to watch out for while fighting other players.

Eitherway, if there are non-pvp servers, it is not fair that they can have a safer experience than all of us. Maybe if they love their pve so much, don't let them get military loot. There is no reason to have mil guns than to kill players anyways.

pfft, im not arsed either way tbh. No matter what the server there will always be people killing unarmed players for whatever reason. All i can think of is to inflate there epeen.

I disagree with non PVP servers for one main reason: It allows you to acquire uber loot with a very minimized risk when compared to normal servers. Zeds really are no trouble. If your in a town or any mil areas you run to building kill all loot rinse repeat. If you find helo crash' date=' stay 200-300 meters out depending on your gun and shoot the zeds without aggro. I don't think zeds were ever meant to be the main antagonists of this game. I think players were, but zeds set the mood as well as provide an extra thing to watch out for while fighting other players.

Eitherway, if there are non-pvp servers, it is not fair that they can have a safer experience than all of us. Maybe if they love their pve so much, don't let them get military loot. There is no reason to have mil guns than to kill players anyways.

[/quote']

Well if the ammo wasn't as sparse they'd be pretty good at killing hordes of zombies too.

Rocket did state that flat out PVP was never his intention for DayZ. I'm talking like Straight up Deathmatching that a lot of people do right now. But he also likes Bandits. Because it helps bring real fear and emotion into the game. Being a Bandit is one thing tho, and playing this game JUST to kill other players are two completely different things and one of them I am opposed to. A Bandit is someone who tries to survive by any means necessary, who is just as likely to kill another player as work with them if it coincides with their goals. I guess the main difference is Bandits kill to survive (for the food, or gear, or maybe the other player looked threatening), COD FPS Junkies kill because they want too, and 9/10 they won't even loot the corpse of who they killed because they didn't need anything to begin with, or if the player that was killed even had anything to loot (seen a lot of people sniping newbies fresh off the beaches lately, that is just immensely wrong, way to turn people away from a game jerks)

The numbers that Rocket speaks about and publishes on the front page in no way indicate that DayZ is "flat out deathmatch." The end.

Maybe they can form a queue infront of the barracks and sell tickets for entrance. 1 can of beans and 1 box of cola per person. Kids can enter free of charge.

I was on this server tonight, it was nice not having to worry about deathmatchers and not being forced to murder anyone you'd meet without even knowing their intentions.

There are hundreds of Deathmatch servers, what the hell is it to you that one of them forbids PK'ing?

The numbers that Rocket speaks about and publishes on the front page in no way indicate that DayZ is "flat out deathmatch." The end.

Who said Day Z was a flat out deathmatch? If you actually read my post I stated it's supposed to be the exact opposite. The end.

To clarify I said a lot of players have been treating it like it's a deathmatch game.

I was on this server tonight' date=' it was nice not having to worry about deathmatchers and not being forced to murder anyone you'd meet without even knowing their intentions.

[/quote']

Oh, so you mean you weren't playing DayZ?

If you don't want to play the game, how about just not playing it?

"Hey guys! I love Mario but I hate Goombas. So I took them all out. Come play on my server. It's awesome. Plenty of servers have goombas. Not mine!"

@ Yar987' date=' no server has been blacklisted for editing the difficulty setting, so I don't get your point regarding CH on/off, heck we even promote sharing that info by putting it in the name of the server.

[/quote']

That's exactly the reason I DO host now, because I support the mod. I think it's brilliant and love the amount of attention it gets. The mod is really even to the point of not needing more "support", at the rate it's growing.

I was referring to the guy I quoted about the CH. He mentioned something about a unified rule set across servers. My point being that if any less control exists for a host, what incentive is there to host? Your server isn't your clan's "home". It's just another cookie cutter box. Essentially an instanced MMO. Supporting the mod is one thing, but that's essentially a subscription fee paid for by people who run servers at that point.

But if there's private hives, what does it matter if one clan likes to run around on their 5 man server trying to find loot and killing zombies? They're paying for it, and they wouldn't be able to take all of their awesome stuff and mess with another server. If someone doesn't like their rules, then they can go find another server. There's enough of them now.

I understand the restrictions right now, since it's an alpha. Things need to be fairly controlled. Long term however, I think it's fair that I can do something as basic as reserve slots for clan members. We're paying for it, we should be able to play it. The poor 3 people that can't get in the reserved slots will have to go pick another of the now thousands of servers, or hell PAY for their own like we do.

Also, I don't play CoD for that reason. If I'm paying for a server, I want to control it, reasonably of course.

EDIT: I'm not talking about "omg look we can make it rain tanks and everyone spawns with a flamethrower" kind of control. Just things like making room for clan mates, passwording, server size, ect. None of which would matter with private hives. All of the arguing in this thread wouldn't exist. If someone wants to play on a super-carebear-no-pk server, how does that effect you?