joe_mcentire

How likely are randomly distributed props and sceneries upon server-restarts? OR incentives to use the ingame map

When we are going to have a much more persistent fledged out world, server-restarts will hopefully happen far more rarely. The idea to spice up the experience and also give ingame maps finally a purpose  (along with of course some other features, which i don't want to discuss here) would be to add randomly distributed props or sceneries with every server-restart (similarly to mod's chooper crash sites):

A shack here, roadworks there, checkpoints, small camps and outposts but also things like randomly distributed working and none-working wells could be interesting. You wouldn't and couldn't rely on your "outside" meta-maps anymore. Each server would always look a bit differently and also survival would be a bit trickier.

I realize there might be some flaws (sudden changes in the environment which is not that immersive, problem with spawning into objects) but how about the rough idea in general? how about the possible effort, considering that things like these dynamic situations already worked pretty well in the mod?

The idea shall basically kill two birds with one stone: that we use the ingame map and that we have a bit different maps and scenes every time we hop on a server, just so much that you get slightly surprised from time to time. subtle stuff.

Ideas? Objections? Opinions?

oh and fyi here is Deans response so far:

[–]rocket2guns Rocket 6 points 14 hours ago

randomly generated content is likely, quite a few of our programmers + designers want to do this

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 7

Funny thing I remember discussing this some time ago and it was more or less a strict NO from Rocket. However I love the idea of random events...crashed helis, wrecked evac or military convoys, supply drops, stranded ships, crashed planes with lots of zeds around of course.... roaming herds of zeds  are a must have....hidden survivor camps in the woods ...fallen tress etc blocking roads or building entrances....dead animals lying in waterholes and creeks....burning buildings (could leave a ruin)...broken wells....collapsed bridges...some of the stuff could disappear after a while, things like fallen trees, burnt buildings or collapsed bridges could be persistent. In combination with persistent items and base building/barricading this could create a constantly changing game world (saved serverside).

For the maps I would be fine with being able to make my own notes and marks on it...such maps could be a real treasure especially taking the hopefully soon coming infection and desease system into account ( marking infected locations).

I would also like to see some creepy stuff added like a playing gramophone...mirrors....a simple candle placed somewhere on a stone in the middle of nowhere..stuff like that

PS: forgot contaminated areas which could only be looted wearing a gasmask....( could be marked on the map for example like Joe suggested)

...oh and in this case  let us not forget the radio stations ( is this still on the agenda ?) 

• Like 2

Hello there

You may well see, randomised/procedurally generated events/mini locations, but the main world will remain largely static one would imagine.

A2 OA did have a random "town" generator, but it was seldom used.

There are possibilities, but seeing how much work they have done on C+ I cannot see major changes to the environ.

Rgds

LoK

There are possibilities, but seeing how much work they have done on C+ I cannot see major changes to the environ.

You are missing another + there.

Anyway: it needs to be done properly and is more of a designissue rather than a code one. Create some nice locations or stuff you want to see and put them in an array - chose a few of those randomly and you'll have them change on every restart.

That way you can easily create a few new locations that aren't always there. So far from the coding point of view (very cheaply solved, but it does the job)

Now the design issues: I hated how Epoch solved by just smashing some debris everywhere (middle of the field) - same with their vehicles being spawned randomly. Very, very poor job, as it was literally just taking some random location to spawn it. What I would like to see would be some predefined locations to spawn stuff in. That way you would be limited in what can come, but it would always be a surprise whether it'd be there or not.

Let's for example take the military base by Pavlovo. That can have, let's say 10%, chance of spawning. If those spawning requirements aren't met (the other 90%) - there will be a quarry instead and no mil-loot.

• Like 2

Hello there

In theory this is doable (or at least was in a2, i dont know what engine changes have been made).

Also remember that at the release of the ACR DLC there was released a water table system so one could "flood" chernarus. Imagine what that would be like.

Rgds

LoK

tbh i didn't think it was reasonable for the current dayz-development, more an idea if they plan dayz to become a franchise of some sort, so more for later derivatives. i thought it may be worth to talk about it, not only about dynamic "happenings" but also things that add always a bit of uncertainty to the map. the idea was primarily to find a way to give ingame maps more purpose, then somehow i came to this idea ;).

edit: there are of course other and more reasonable (smaller/easier implementations) possibilities to give maps a purpose.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Let's for example take the military base by Pavlovo. That can have, let's say 10%, chance of spawning. If those spawning requirements aren't met (the other 90%) - there will be a quarry instead and no mil-loot.

This would be amazing, game changing even. Something as simple as (for example) military tents having a 5% chance of spawning around Green Mountain would radically alter the balance of power.

Pie in the sky it might be, but small chance based changes to the world map could be a wonderful addition to the game - my beans are definitely floating around this thread somewhere!

more ideas or input is highly endorsed!

especially after i heard/read somewhere that police cars are now the next objects along with choppers that randomly appear on the map

Edited by joe_mcentire

I fully support any change that makes the ingame map more useful than my second monitor which displays a website map with heli/loot spawns on it.

• Like 1