Sign in to follow this  
wmike20052

Is the DayZ mod still heavily populated? Steam has a great sale on Arma 2 so i was wondering.

Whether to get it or not.

Ill prolly just try out the mod and maybe other servers that catch my eye. Is it worth it?

yes totally, much more worth it when arma is in the sale and especially at that price it is right now. mod is awesome and has all the things standalone is missing till they are implemented, i love it and play it when im bored of sa also stupid amount of custom made versions offering many different mods of the mod, so also a plus

• Like 1

Yes it still is.

Dayz mod mods are way better than stand alone is atm so enjoy that.

• Like 2

I was going to get it but after watching a youtube vid, I decided not to. The character models look "fat" when geared, and the running / moving animations are terrible. The arms look too long and flail as you move. Horrible. I guess it would be ok to play on 1st person. 

• Like 1

I was going to get it but after watching a youtube vid, I decided not to. The character models look "fat" when geared, and the running / moving animations are terrible. The arms look too long and flail as you move. Horrible. I guess it would be ok to play on 1st person. 

lol

I dont know that BIS is your game company then. 

• Like 1

The character models look "fat" when geared, and the running / moving animations are terrible. The arms look too long and flail as you move. Horrible.

Pretty much this. I like gameplay over graphics/art but Dayz Mod really look bad*

*compared to Dayz SA

Edited by zeroy99

meh, the game is so immersing i only notice the graphical issues once im sat in a little camp iv created somewhere in the wilderness with tents hidden in nice hidey cubs, each stacked with items relevant to each area of use (medical tent, guns and ammo store etc) and then trying to find a good spot to hide your treasured vehicle (that took over a day of hunting to get the parts needed to fix it up etc) each to their own. graphics is a selling point i see utilised most in games with little substance or gameplay. imho

Pretty much this. I like gameplay over graphics/art but Dayz Mod really look bad.

I gave up on the Mod last summer and decided to wait for the Standalone version. Even with all it's bugs and missing features I find the SA to be a far, far better game than the Mod.

I don't think I could ever go back.

How hard is it to find a decent server to play on? I'd like to give it a try but not if I'm just gonna get hacker raped repeatedly.

I first played the mod almost two years ago and switched to SA. The graphics are so much better on this. Sure we don't have half of the cool "toys" to play with, but the performance and graphics of SA alone make it more fun for me. I could never go back to Mod.

tl;dr- if you like SA and have never played the mod, you might not like it. Poor graphics, performance, but the gameplay is sweet (if you can get it working. the mod is a mod, so sometimes it goes anal)

Edited by Raptor05121

Sort of yes and sort of no. Things like Epoch and Battle Royale is great fun, however the vanilla mod can feel a bit "empty". For all the whining that goes on about SA, it's quite noticeable how much the game has moved on even though it's Alpha. 

If you played stand alone and then jump to the mod it will be a little like this.

TSmXMu2.gif

Stand Alone is that big nasty chick that is so clunky and out of shape that you are wiling to try the opposite sex.

Edited by gibonez

It is 110% worth it. I'm kinda confused though, are some people here stating the performance in SA is better than the mod? Cuz I very much doubt it is..

It is 110% worth it. I'm kinda confused though, are some people here stating the performance in SA is better than the mod? Cuz I very much doubt it is..

I wouldn't suggest that the performance is better, but the inventory interaction and the ability to go into all the houses is a massive step forward in the game. 

I think there has been a sort of mini-resurgence lately because of that very sale, I myself had been interested in the mod but was waivering- when I saw it avail for $6 I jumped on it.

As someone coming from the Standalone- I can tell you with confidence that the mod has been way more fun for me. Granted, I played SA for 3 months and have only been playing the mod for 2 weeks, so you could argue there is new appeal, but I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

There are way more features (aka fuckin VEHICLES), variety, social options, honestly the only significant and clear disadvantage to mod vs SA is graphics- which doesn't bother me at all, game looks fine. Above posters are mentioning a Performance discrepancy, I don't get that at all, SA is more demanding and arguably less optimized- you can spend time improving both with ingame settings and .config adjustments.

The game population is solid, if it isn't as thriving as it was in 2013, there's still plenty of servers left- I only play Vanilla and dabble in Origins myself and I never have problems finding servers with 20+ people.

If you want to play Epoch you will be even better off than I am, it is hands down the most popular mod version (stateside anyway don't know about euro). I don't care for it personally, too much abundance of supplies and silly stuff like safe zones but that's a thread derail personal crap there so yeah.

Edited by foxarrows
  • Like 1

An example of a person who plays a video game for graphics. You're missing out on a lot.

• Like 1

Dayz poster boy Frankie quickly left the SA and went back to the mod, if that doesn't tell you that theres life in the old mod yet, nothing will!

Edited by Jock McScottish
  • Like 1

I did the same last week and bought it for $8. Now if only I can figure out how to get the right version without using the Commander or other launcher apps. Read there was a virus in the installer of the commander so I chickened out and haven't touched it. I think there are only like 2 servers I found running the version you get from Steam so I haven't been able to really play it. Wished you didn't have to jump through hoops with launcher apps as I'm a noob when it comes to all that crap.

Dayz poster boy Frankie quickly left the SA and went back to the mod, if that doesn't tell you that theres life in the old mod yet, nothing will!

Of course the mischievous may suggest that is because he can't hack in the same way as the mod.. ;)

I did the same last week and bought it for $8. Now if only I can figure out how to get the right version without using the Commander or other launcher apps. Read there was a virus in the installer of the commander so I chickened out and haven't touched it. I think there are only like 2 servers I found running the version you get from Steam so I haven't been able to really play it. Wished you didn't have to jump through hoops with launcher apps as I'm a noob when it comes to all that crap.

Have you tried PlayWithSix (link)? I used it when DayZCommander would freak out my Internet connection. Don't get me wrong I would prefer to use DayZCommander but PW6 is not a bad alternative.

Of course the mischievous may suggest that is because he can't hack in the same way as the mod.. ;)

Have you tried PlayWithSix (link)? I used it when DayZCommander would freak out my Internet connection. Don't get me wrong I would prefer to use DayZCommander but PW6 is not a bad alternative.

I was going to try it out but never got around to it. The time I did visit the playsix website I noticed they run a fake advertisement right on the page that says Download but it's an ad and not the actual downloader. I wasn't sure if using the download on the very top or bottom of that page was safe and the actual file to use. Any help would be great as I'd love to try some vanilla DayZ mod. I made a post in the playwithsix thread with a screen shot explaining it better http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/105008-play-withsix-getupdate-dayz-browse-and-join-servers-chat-and-much-more-official-distribution-channel/?p=1948714

Edited by haknslash

Any help would be great as I'd love to try some vanilla DayZ mod.

I see someone already replied to your comment, but I also added in a post. In short, use an AdBlocker and your levels of confusion will be greatly reduced.

In terms of vanilla DayZ mod, I would actually recommend Epoch rather than the vanilla. It's available for Arma3 as well as Arma2 and has some pretty advanced features in comparison to the vanilla mod and a world away from the SA.

http://epochmod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

• Like 1

The Commander is fine, millions of people have used it and there is no malware. It might set off ZoneAlarm, if you use such nonsense but it is nothing malicious. Super easy to use, couldn't play the mod without it.

Update, im having tons more fun with the mod then i did with Standalone. Sure it sucks that most building arent open and you cant really customize your character, but the fun is there.

You can hop in a server with vehicles everywhere and start with a gun, or vice versa. The different maps add variety too. 

I wouldnt completely say it kills the SA, but its def a breath of fresh air. Recommend it if you can get the Arma 2 and CO for cheap.