Katana67

Would You Support A Gun Shop Loot Location?

I was thinking about the loot locations in DayZ, most of which are highly centralized in terms of what they actually spawn (hospital, barracks, police station, piano house, etc.)

Rather than have a higher chance of weapon spawns at an arbitrary residential building (i.e. the piano house) why not transfer that likelihood of weapon spawns to a gun shop building model?

Also, to be clear, I still want weapons to occasionally spawn in residential buildings. That would be left untouched. This is not intended to replace that, just to put the weapons that are currently spawning into a more appropriate building.

Of course, being the apocalypse, I certainly wouldn't want the gun shop to be as pictured below... meaning fully stocked, it should be pretty barren like the market buildings in Chernarus.

To be clear, not suggesting any more weapon spawns overall at this point. Merely suggesting displacing the weapon spawns that we already have in certain buildings (like the piano house) to a more fitting building model.

IMG_2119.JPG

Gun shop, Prague, Czech Republic

This may not be feasible for several reasons. One, development prioritization/workload. Two, the fact that we've already got centralized weapon spawns in certain buildings. Three, the possibility that it may result in a marginalization of rarer weapon spawns in residential buildings. Four, folks might not like the idea of a gun shop (for various reasons).

I think it'd be good to move the ammo/weapon spawns to a new building model which is fitting, rather than finding a box of ammo on a supermarket shelf or finding four weapons in an unassuming residential building. Plus, it may give the developers a chance to configure their towns a bit more appropriately rather than shoving massive police stations in every one. Not entirely sold on the idea, but what are your thoughts?

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 13

Merely suggesting displacing the weapon spawns in certain buildings

That's will make murdering ppl and hopping on new level.

Just no.After Apocalypse everyone would rush there, kill everyone and take all the weapon/ammo in closest car.That's mean they must be empty = useless.

Just no.After Apocalypse everyone would rush there, kill everyone and take all the weapon/ammo in closest car.That's mean they must be empty = useless.

Well, what's the difference between this and the police station/piano house we've got now?

I'm merely suggesting moving the weapon spawns we've already got in the piano house, to a new building.

By that logic, supermarkets should be wholly empty as well.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

Not really it could be one of those places that spawns a random piece of gear and gun. So each time you go there it could be something different. NOT a mountain of guns but a random gun spawn point.

Im all for some random gun shops to be honest.

Edited by Deathlove

I would camp nearby

camper%20sniper.preview.jpg

Most ppl already camp police stations and military. To be honest having a location like this would relieve allot of the other generic camping spots.

• Like 1

Most ppl already camp police stations and military. To be honest having a location like this would relieve allot of the other generic camping spots.

While I don't see camping as much of a problem, as there are now an absolute ton of centralized weapon spawns (i.e. piano houses and police stations in almost every town in Chernarus), I agree that it may make things a bit less formulaic.

While I don't see camping as much of a problem, as there are now an absolute ton of centralized weapon spawns (i.e. piano houses and police stations in almost every town in Chernarus), I agree that it may make things a bit less formulaic.

If ppl are against this i think it would be silly. Im sure the country is not so backwards it couldn't afford a gun shop lol.

By that logic, supermarkets should be wholly empty as well.

That's why i wonder how i can find something inside.

That's why i wonder how i can find something inside.

Okay, well supermarkets spawning sparse food is a feature of the game.

Why are gun shops spawning sparse weapons (which is already happening in the piano house building) any different?

Gun shop does sound like a good idea but again, all it will do is have players making mad dashes to them just like they do military bases.  All weapons and items should be randomly placed with certain military weapons being excluded from some locations.  Perhaps some locations were where the military made a final stand or where civilians made their final stand so finding some weapons at these locations wouldn't be that far fetched.

It would add another target building just like the hospitals, med centre's, police stations, etc. To towns. I'm for it.

Gun shop does sound like a good idea but again, all it will do is have players making mad dashes to them just like they do military bases.  All weapons and items should be randomly placed with certain military weapons being excluded from some locations.  Perhaps some locations were where the military made a final stand or where civilians made their final stand so finding some weapons at these locations wouldn't be that far fetched.

It would add another target building just like the hospitals, med centre's, police stations, etc. To towns. I'm for it.

To be clear, this is just intended to place the weapons which already spawn in the piano house into a more appropriate building.

Nothing is being added, in terms of overall weapon spawns.

There'd be nothing special about the gun shop versus the piano building, save for the actual model of the building.

I like it.  Or maybe make it more generic.  Like a sporting goods store where you would find civilian guns & ammo, backpacks, camping equipment and so on.  Unless you find stuff discarded by other players, loot spawns should be somewhat intuitive.  You wouldn't expect to find a bunch of soda cans it the hayloft of a barn or an M16 in a fire station IRL.

• Like 1

Sure, but not too many. One in each of the big cities + 1-2 across the rest of the map. Though I think we need more types of stores first, like clothing stores, restaruants, etc.

This would be cool if they were super rare, but I don't think there are even any gun shops in Russia (can someone confirm?)...  They're badass enough on their own.

To be clear, this is just intended to place the weapons which already spawn in the piano house into a more appropriate building.

Nothing is being added, in terms of overall weapon spawns.

There'd be nothing special about the gun shop versus the piano building, save for the actual model of the building.

I understand what you are saying, I mean the building would be a target location because of the higher chance to obtain a firearm.

I am well for immersion looting, I cover a section on this in my environment suggestion thread:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/171213-gameplay-mechanics-pt3-environment/

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 1

Only if we can get a high end store like the Beretta Moscow location:

1_news_russia-660x433.jpg

• Like 4

This would be cool if they were super rare, but I don't think there are even any gun shops in Russia (can someone confirm?)...  They're badass enough on their own.

Chernarus isn't Russia. Either way, as far as I know, there are gun shops in Russia.

Everyone already bum-rushes the Police Stations, the Supermarkets, the Piano Houses, anything Military, the Hospitals, the Schoolhouses, and every other place that can spawn weapons for a GOOD REASON.

- If you're in an unlooted town, anyone can arrive at any moment, so your best bet is to go to the areas most likely to spawn valuable things such as guns and ammunition, so you can get it before someone else comes.

You can't change this. It is looting 101. Go for the most valuable spots, once you have cleared them, quickly head to the lower priority spots, then get the hell out.

You can't change this. It is looting 101. Go for the most valuable spots, once you have cleared them, quickly head to the lower priority spots, then get the hell out.

Agreed, although I do think you can slow the process down a bit. As of now, it's pretty easy to just sprint into a building, loot, then dip out with no real risk.

Having to negotiate more threatening zombies is a big deal, in my opinion, in making looting more of a risky endeavor.

Agreed, although I do think you can slow the process down a bit. As of now, it's pretty easy to just sprint into a building, loot, then dip out with no real risk.

Having to negotiate more threatening zombies is a big deal, in my opinion, in making looting more of a risky endeavor.

Yes, that will be good, but people will still focus on those locations, even if there is high risk.

You want to get the advantage before everyone else, and that advantage of a gun or some sort of weapon has a higher chance of lying in a police station, gunshop, or piano house then a civilian house.

You need to get there, make sure it is clear, and arm yourself before hostiles enter the area and arm themselves there.

The problem is not what buildings spawn weapons, but that it's not balanced at all.

First, we would need a higher loot variety, to make different loot pools. Police stations needs specific loot, barracks as well, and there should be civilian loot as well.

Because there is so few guns now, everything can almost spawn everywhere, which is kinda bad.

If they added gunshop, it would most likely spawn the same stuff as barracks or camo/jail building, so what would be the point?

I can't wait for bigger variety of loot types as well as reduced chance to get the best stuff.

Wish .22 LR was seen more, then say M4 or SKS.

edit: And yes, broken and not numerous zombies also does not help.

Edited by Hombre

The problem is not what buildings spawn weapons, but that it's not balanced at all.

First, we would need a higher loot variety, to make different loot pools. Police stations needs specific loot, barracks as well, and there should be civilian loot as well.

Because there is so few guns now, everything can almost spawn everywhere, which is kinda bad.

If they added gunshop, it would most likely spawn the same stuff as barracks or camo/jail building, so what would be the point?

I can't wait for bigger variety of loot types as well as reduced chance to get the best stuff.

Wish .22 LR was seen more, then say M4 or SKS.

edit: And yes, broken and not numerous zombies also does not help.

The way I understand the loot, is that it's a bit more modular now than the military/industrial/residential/medical dynamic was in the mod. Could be wrong, as the buildings themselves are still classified as such, but the fact that the piano building specifically spawns a higher rate of weapons was suggestive to me. Same goes for the top floor of the office/school building, which always spawns weapons/ammo. I think it's based upon individual loot spawn points now.

If they added a gunshop, I'd want whatever spawns in the piano house to spawn there (as of now SKS, Mosin, Sporter, Shotgun, Revolver??).

Edited by Katana67