Vidura

Why wont people play in the night ?

Well i'll just disagree there. I think devs have a right to steer players toward what is the expected play experience. Server hopping in DayZ is clearly not part of the expected experience.

The server hopping is a by-product of thier attemp to force people to "experience" thier broken night-time gameplay. people dont like it. People are paying for the servers should be able to opt to not force that on thier players.

Im okay with preventing ser-hoping this is obviously exploiting a fundemental nature of an online game with multiple servers. restriciting servers from doing 24/7 day, 24/7 night, accelerated or slowed down cycles, etc. is all a bad thing tho.

The server hopping is a by-product of thier attemp to force people to "experience" thier broken night-time gameplay. people dont like it. People are paying for the servers should be able to opt to not force that on thier players.

Im okay with preventing ser-hoping this is obviously exploiting a fundemental nature of an online game with multiple servers. restriciting servers from doing 24/7 day, 24/7 night, accelerated or slowed down cycles, etc. is all a bad thing tho.

Server hopping is a direct byproduct of metagaming "how can we get as much loot as we can with as little exposure to other players as we can"

People who rent servers need to get into their thick skulls that at no point do they ever "own" the server they rent.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

People who rent servers need to get into their thick skulls that at no point do they ever "own" the server they rent.

If they can't cater to the people who play on thier server, If they cant give pirority access to those who fund that server, there is no reason to rent one. at all. ever.

This isnt a mod. this is a retail title! No one should be paying for the "priviledge" of providing servers to pubbers. if they cant customize server settings then just do away with them entirely and make rocket pay for them out of his freaking profits.

Edited by Sovetsky

If they can't cater to the people who play on thier server, If they cant give pirority access to those who fund that server, there is no reason to rent one. at all. ever.

This isnt a mod. this is a retail title! No one should be paying for the "priviledge" of providing servers to pubbers. if they cant customize server settings then just do away with them entirely and make rocket pay for them out of his freaking profits.

Considering the devs don't get a cut from rental i don't think they exactly give a damn whether people rent servers or not to be honest.

I've said it before we only need enough servers to soak the peak amount of players, and you'll certainly find enough people willing to do this. We don't "need" people whose ambition is to run their own little world/mod/rpg on top of DayZ.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Considering the devs don't get a cut from rental i don't think they exactly give a damn whether people rent servers or not to be honest.

I've said it before we only need enough servers to soak the peak amount of players, and you'll certainly find enough people willing to do this. We don't "need" people whose ambition is to run their own little world/mod/rpg on top of DayZ.

Those communities are among the best parts of what made the mod great imho. I seriously dont see why its bad for people to be able to provide more user content for people to enjoy. More options, which in turns attracts a variety of different players, explands the variety and everyone benefits.

"Why wont people play in the night ?"

Because it's damn near impossible to see anything. Even with a flashlight you can only see a very narrow FOV. Besides the fact that walking around with your flashlight on is a "Please Kill Me Now" sign.

I actually really like twilight or dawn. If they made nighttime look like that I would definitely keep playing after the sun goes down. Until then it's pointless.

• Like 2

Those communities are among the best parts of what made the mod great imho. I seriously dont see why its bad for people to be able to provide more user content for people to enjoy. More options, which in turns attracts a variety of different players, explands the variety and everyone benefits.

Well you have two sides, creative control and modding community, the devs will have to pick one. Frankly the reason i keep coming back is that dayZ has something strange and unique going on,i don't want to see it modified, adapted to "suit other people's needs" and turning into a mere shadow of itself.

And yes, the way other people play matter to me :)

• Like 1

Well you have two sides, creative control and modding community, the devs will have to pick one. Frankly the reason i keep coming back is that dayZ has something strange and unique going on,i don't want to see it modified, adapted to "suit other people's needs" and turning into a mere shadow of itself.

And yes, the way other people play matter to me :)

Fair enough. Suppose different experiences have colored our viewpoints differently :)

For me coming into gaming at a time when Server operatiors were generally the end of the line in authority for what goes on in that server. thats just how it was. Half the experiences was interacting with these clans/guilds/communities and seeing how they interact with eachother. Some were ver welcoming, some competitive, some elitists, some catering to certain nice playstyles, etc. but for me it was this meta content that really drove the expereinces.

This is what i loved about the arma series even Pre-dayZ. all bugs aside it was a framework that comunties built thier own thing around. this is what the mod became soon as private hives started to proliferate. And I loved it. Every bit of it.

Sure, there are people who abuse it when given total controll of thier servers- but theres always people who abuse things- that's not a reason to ruin a golden opportunity for thousands of players and dozens of communities to create a plethora of unique experiences. as it was in the 80 and 90's as it should be now- if you feel mistreated by the host - LEAVE THE SERVER and stop playing there. for some reason in the last 10 years everyone wants PC games to become like console games where ever server and match is identical in every way to the last and the player base has no options or control to expand on it or grow.

Fair enough. Suppose different experiences have colored our viewpoints differently :)

For me coming into gaming at a time when Server operatiors were generally the end of the line in authority for what goes on in that server. thats just how it was. Half the experiences was interacting with these clans/guilds/communities and seeing how they interact with eachother. Some were ver welcoming, some competitive, some elitists, some catering to certain nice playstyles, etc. but for me it was this meta content that really drove the expereinces.

This is what i loved about the arma series even Pre-dayZ. all bugs aside it was a framework that comunties built thier own thing around. this is what the mod became soon as private hives started to proliferate. And I loved it. Every bit of it.

Sure, there are people who abuse it when given total controll of thier servers- but theres always people who abuse things- that's not a reason to ruin a golden opportunity for thousands of players and dozens of communities to create a plethora of unique experiences. as it was in the 80 and 90's as it should be now- if you feel mistreated by the host - LEAVE THE SERVER and stop playing there. for some reason in the last 10 years everyone wants PC games to become like console games where ever server and match is identical in every way to the last and the player base has no options or control to expand on it or grow.

I'm gonna give you an example of a game prototype i wanted to setup in SecondLife but ultimately gave up.

It was a tribes kind of game but instead of using a fixed map i would provide a devkit for whoever wanted to host a base and they could plop it down on their terrain in sl if they wanted and it would be added to the global territory control map.

The reason i gave up on it was because of the conflict of interest between players and terrain owners. I simply couldn't ensure that a terrain owner would play fair. Between ban lists, automated security scripts and restricted access, there was just too many ways for a terrain owner to advantage his own faction. And you have this on pretty much every persistent game structures. It's just too damn tempting to setup the situation so it's all really designed to cater to the home team.

• Like 2

Any kind of fortification/base system will inherently give a defensive advantage.

But, for the sake of this thread- Modified game files arent part of the consideration. were talking about server owners.. erm.. renters.. being able to fully configure all server relates options to thier taste. we already know the day night cycle is in the server config simply based on the statements made in rockets roadmap about the possibility of giving controll of that to the server renters.

The example you give is more akin to say.. playing Epoch Vs. Vanilla Vs Overwatch, etc. And even here i think anyone with half a brain kind of knows that there means for recourse ends with the server renters when playing modded servers/private servers. Many things like prefab clan bases, starter loadouts, etc offered for donations have recieved mixed reviews in the community. some like them some hate them but the simple fact is once were dealing with modified files i would assume that wouldn't be synched to "official" hive for the very reasons you stated, let alone to ability to alter loot and farm up on thier home server.

AT some point it becomes a matter of let the community sort its self out. Private Hives will not carry gear or characters to official hives, meanaing anything someone is allowed to do there is completely irrelevant to those who play official. Changing server options tho- Like 24/7 Day, accelerated day/night, Reconnect Delay, etc. will not do anything to cause harm beyond realm of that serever. it does however, mean those who dont like how this game plays at night arent Forced to play something they despise, while at the same time it does not prevent those who enjoy creeping around in the pitch black from doing so on another server.

I play a lot at night, but recently people find me in dark buildings with no light. Gamma and brightness would not even allow them to see in these buildings. I am thinking they are using more than gamma and brightness,  also it is too hard to kill zombies at night because you can't see them and you are just hitting blindly at them. I have to use my flash light all the time, but its best to get a headlamp so you can see and hit the zombies at the same time! Head lamps will give your position away very easily. Zombies don't need light to see you and still aggro really easy so becareful!!!

Any kind of fortification/base system will inherently give a defensive advantage.

But, for the sake of this thread- Modified game files arent part of the consideration. were talking about server owners.. erm.. renters.. being able to fully configure all server relates options to thier taste. we already know the day night cycle is in the server config simply based on the statements made in rockets roadmap about the possibility of giving controll of that to the server renters.

The example you give is more akin to say.. playing Epoch Vs. Vanilla Vs Overwatch, etc. And even here i think anyone with half a brain kind of knows that there means for recourse ends with the server renters when playing modded servers/private servers. Many things like prefab clan bases, starter loadouts, etc offered for donations have recieved mixed reviews in the community. some like them some hate them but the simple fact is once were dealing with modified files i would assume that wouldn't be synched to "official" hive for the very reasons you stated, let alone to ability to alter loot and farm up on thier home server.

AT some point it becomes a matter of let the community sort its self out. Private Hives will not carry gear or characters to official hives, meanaing anything someone is allowed to do there is completely irrelevant to those who play official. Changing server options tho- Like 24/7 Day, accelerated day/night, Reconnect Delay, etc. will not do anything to cause harm beyond realm of that serever. it does however, mean those who dont like how this game plays at night arent Forced to play something they despise, while at the same time it does not prevent those who enjoy creeping around in the pitch black from doing so on another server.

No you don't understand, the way secondlife is setup is as a huge shared world with multiple "land owners" the reason i gave up the project was that i could not prevent land owners to use their administrative rights to bend my game rules into whatever they saw fit. They may not be able to modify the game i created, but they still have control in the end due to administrative powers.

And to a degree that's exactly what those "join and be banned" servers do.

Example: they could remain in control of the base they host indefinitely by kicking/banning everyone who would try to challenge their ownership of the base, or by setting the land around the base to "group members only" preventing any other player to try the capture. And in the event of a capture, they could just delete the base in a "if i can't have it my way, neither will you".

This is a bit of the same with server owners, you can have any rules you want that they have to abid to, at the end of the day they can still do anything they want, because they can always "flip the switch".

Edited by Lady Kyrah

i love to play on full cycle servers especially the speeded up ones. I play on one regularly and it takes 1 or 2 hours for a whole day and night. I carry a lantern and lots of gas, my 'bambi beacon'.

Sometimes i knock the gamma/brightness up slightly but not all the way. I think it should be locked at around 60% that would be fine for people who have a bright room of reflection on their screen and not be too much of exploit.

I notice that the server quickly empties at night as everyone s too scared. there is plentiful loot at all the airfields at night i find my best gear, raiding airfields with a bright lantern and headtorch is fun.

I'd love to play a PVE server with day./night cycle

If zombies didn't spawn at night then night would be cool for some tactical PVP without zombie interference, that's another thing I think they should do. Maybe zombies get too cold and can't move properly at night could be explained some way like that.

Please no just get out this is a ZOMBIE game. At night zombies should be harder if anything. Its a survival game not a deathmatch

No you don't understand, the way secondlife is setup is as a huge shared world with multiple "land owners" the reason i gave up the project was that i could not prevent land owners to use their administrative rights to bend my game rules into whatever they saw fit. They may not be able to modify the game i created, but they still have control in the end due to administrative powers.

And to a degree that's exactly what those "join and be banned" servers do.

Example: they could remain in control of the base they host indefinitely by kicking/banning everyone who would try to challenge their ownership of the base, or by setting the land around the base to "group members only" preventing any other player to try the capture. And in the event of a capture, they could just delete the base in a "if i can't have it my way, neither will you".

This is a bit of the same with server owners, you can have any rules you want that they have to abid to, at the end of the day they can still do anything they want, because they can always "flip the switch".

thats what happens in the mod, pretty much most servers have an Admin that plays actively, with a team on the server. He can spawn any loot, build in-penetrable bases, teleport, and see where everyone is in map. When i played Epoch for a bit i thought we had a trustworthy admin but he would play god and shoot people randomly and spawn himself perfect loot. When day z standalone gives admins control i think they should disable spawning loot cheats and teleporting

Edited by AgentNe0

Please no just get out this is a ZOMBIE game. At night zombies should be harder if anything. Its a survival game not a deathmatch

Have you ever played this game, good sir?

It is and always will be 99% deathmatch with some zombies and eventually animals running around, KoS will always be around.

Why should they be harder? Dead things shouldn't have body heat, at night they should at least have trouble to move. If this terrain is anything like Russia, which it sure looks like it should be damn cold at night fresh spawns should basically die and zombies barely wear any more clothing than them plus it's damaged.

When animals get added in wolves and things could hunt at night.

i've played since last july when i got a PC..mostly Day Z epoch, then arma 3 breaking point and now this... I much more enjoyed the game playing with large groups and workign together..it certainly wasn't about a deathmatch then.. in fact end-game was more about getting a vechicle or 'base' stash to hide your gear.. and defending those areas.. Deathmatch seems to be what people who dont really like zombies games do..join Day Z and run around shooting people. ..just like any other FPS / Third person shooter / Action game.

I like to think Day Z is a great game spoiled by the community.. even playing Standalone with a few people is fun just exploring and killing zeds

Yes I believe if zombies were much harder we wouldnt have this problem..especially at night.. gamma/brightness should be locked and people should have to play through it...See how much KOS you get when  people are un-armed from less guns and running from a horde of 50 zombies in the dark..it should be like walking dead but worse..hundreds of zombies that kill instantly is basically what they should aim for in my opinion

Two Reasons

1)  Gamma Exploit

2)  People have been handheld by mainstream shooters for so long that they can't handle pure pitch black nights.  They then whine about the lack of lighting at night  :rolleyes:

Last time I played at night I had gamma turned all the way up and still managed to literally bump into a Z.

To me, there is only sufficient light when the moon is out.

If I cant see the Z, I'd be stupid to go out unless I absolutely had to.

Did they fix how the world only reflects torchlight once yet?

I don't mind playing at night, but if you're like me and hundreds of others who chuck away the flashlight at spawn, then you are screwed.

Guess the problem is on me then.

P.s Needs different strengths of flash light.

I rarely play night time, if I don't I won't play it seriously. The fact that the gamma exploit is there makes it feel pointless, I don't even care if I use it my self because everyone else could be using it.

So what do you do? Be an elitist and not use it? And have a massive disadvantage? Or join the 99.99% that do?

Even if gamma is locked or only self adjusts to the fading day, this won't stop people using the setting on their monitors/TVs.

So what do you do? Be an elitist and not use it? And have a massive disadvantage? Or join the 99.99% that do?

put it about halfway up and get your torch / lantern /; head torch out

Not that many people play on night servers anyway, so chances are you'll meet a friendly with a torch out.

Edited by AgentNe0

put it about halfway up and get your torch / lantern /; head torch out

Not that many people play on night servers anyway, so chances are you'll meet a friendly with a torch out.

we're talking about DayZ right?

and I'm not sure you get my point, the night times playable without a torch with max gamma up. so you're at a massive disadvantage with your shiny torch in the distance.

Until the gamma exploit is gone I only play night on low pop servers.

I wished the night looked more like they try to depict on the DayZ reddit banner as there is enough twilight to differentiate from terrain, roads, zeds/players and structures. Maybe darker than this but it gives you an idea.

dayz1.jpg

Edited by haknslash

One of two reasons. 1.They are total bitch pussies that don't have any balls and just want to release their annoyance on those they can see. or 2. They believe that the game does not have enough content too cope with the dark, for example NVGs, chemligths, flares and some of the private hives had working street lamps.

So i think when this all comes out the night life of Chernogorsk will become more popular to the real players of the Apocalypse.

To operate outside safely requires lights which make you a target, if you dont want to be a target you need night vision scopes and goggles. If those are added then they will make it insanely dangerous for anything to travel at night as the pussy sniper, now equiped with night scopes have an even easier time picking people off.