MCNine

Why Devs should allow early modding

I personally believe that with the games current state and the size of our community we certainly have enough "good minds" to help with the developnment.

Think about it this way:

Say you give a predetermined group of modders with access to source code/ basic utilities.

If the community had 50 people who were developing/testing new weapons, towns, physics then we may actually find something that would be great for the game and then the real developers could implement this.

Not only would it save the development some time but it would give the community early access to good content. I understand there is a development schedule and to deviate from this may cause problems but giving modders the opportunity to create loot, guns and buildings (at this moment)  shouldnt interfere with the development unless there is a feature that everyone likes so much that it is implemented. We could even assign a server on the experimental.

Developers and Dean,

I know you want to wait for to the full release to even consider mod's but look at some of the best content for many great games. It is user created. If your concern is truly about building a great zombie survival game then why not let the community get involved in development considering the most popular games are mods. Had dean not gotten the opportunity to mod Arma 2 there would be no Dayz.

-Novem

Edited by MCNine

Modding support for the standalone has bren confirmed by Dean at Rezzed for Q4 (I think?). The game is in too messy a state for modders to intetpolate the information right now, but I cannot wait to see what the community do with the game once it is in their hands!

• Like 1

Say you give a predetermined group of modders with access to source code/ basic utilities.

Yeah sure give a random bunch of people source code so one of them can sell it to certain people and they create cheats for the game...perfect. Then we call the game DayC. As good as the mods are they should finish the game first before giving people access to a not even half baked foundation. And mods should go through a quality check first otherwise you will get a lot of useless ones.

• Like 5

As long as the modding community stays away from the same pitfalls and traps they created before like the 1000 vehicle servers and ridiculous starting load outs I'm cool with it. It takes the fun out of surviving if you start with everything you need

Edited by Tobias Winfro
  • Like 2

Not only would it save the development some time

I understand there is a development schedule and to deviate from this may cause problems but giving modders the opportunity to create loot, guns and buildings (at this moment) shouldnt interfere with the development unless there is a feature that everyone likes so much that it is implemented.

-Novem

Sorry to rain on your parade but this would not work at all

At the moment the Devs are changing a lot of things all the time, fixing bugs and adding new features

I can tell you now from experiences modding Fallout 3 and skyrim that this is a terrible time to allow modding

In those games, the smallest update or bug fix could destroy a mod as it was working on an older version

Nearly every update I would have to go through all my scripting to find what was causing a CTD Ect and that was games that updated every few months

If you give access to modding now, all that will happen is people having to constantly update and fix their stuff or the Devs will have to work with peoples content to add it in by working out how to implement it as the latest version as modders will always be a version behind, then the Devs could release a hotfix that causes any mods to break completely

And dayz/arma scripting and editing is vastly more complicated than those games, my mods would contain 1000s of lines of scripts which is a real bitch to work out when the company that made the game has updated their game and it turns out they have made a script with the same ID as yours or something similar

In other words:

A stable working game is difficult enough to mod

An uncompleted alpha will be hell

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 3

If modding was allowed right now, we would end up with the same issue as we did in Arma III development.

Mods breaking after EVERY single update and mod creaters getting pissed and abandoning they're creations for a later time.

With the amount of core changes in the game, it would be foolish to start mod creation atm. Theres a 100% chance the mods will break multible times before a stabile release client for the game comes along.

The best thing is to wait untill they are much later in the development, and have many more of the core features nailed down.

• Like 2

^^Indeed.

As long as they are still working with the core.

Mods will be the death of dayZ.

More bullshit reasoning.

Mods will breath new life into the game and more importantly get rid of all of the unrealistic garbage added to standalone starting with the dumb dispersion and accessory system.

• Like 2

As long as the modding community stays away from the same pitfalls and traps they created before like the 1000 vehicle servers and ridiculous starting load outs I'm cool with it. It takes the fun out of surviving if you start with everything you need

They wont and you know this.

They wont and you know this.

That is the thing those were not even mods those were simple scripts that have nothing to do with modding.

If anything it is a testament to how awesome the engine is and how flexible it is in creating unique experiences in each server.

easy solution to those pitfalls is dont join those servers.

When mods and private hives are introduced i feel that the game will turn into what the mod did.

Servers with 1000 vehicles and 500 choppers, 5000 weapons etc.

Yeah sure give a random bunch of people source code so one of them can sell it to certain people and they create cheats for the game...perfect. Then we call the game DayC. As good as the mods are they should finish the game first before giving people access to a not even half baked foundation. And mods should go through a quality check first otherwise you will get a lot of useless ones.

+ Beans

If modding was allowed right now, we would end up with the same issue as we did in Arma III development.

Mods breaking after EVERY single update and mod creaters getting pissed and abandoning they're creations for a later time.

With the amount of core changes in the game, it would be foolish to start mod creation atm. Theres a 100% chance the mods will break multible times before a stabile release client for the game comes along.

The best thing is to wait untill they are much later in the development, and have many more of the core features nailed down.

+ Beans

That is the thing those were not even mods those were simple scripts that have nothing to do with modding.

If anything it is a testament to how awesome the engine is and how flexible it is in creating unique experiences in each server.

easy solution to those pitfalls is dont join those servers.

Your right...only problem is the majority of them will end up like that. :P

Sorry to rain on your parade but this would not work at all

At the moment the Devs are changing a lot of things all the time, fixing bugs and adding new features

I can tell you now from experiences modding Fallout 3 and skyrim that this is a terrible time to allow modding

In those games, the smallest update or bug fix could destroy a mod as it was working on an older version

Nearly every update I would have to go through all my scripting to find what was causing a CTD Ect and that was games that updated every few months

If you give access to modding now, all that will happen is people having to constantly update and fix their stuff or the Devs will have to work with peoples content to add it in by working out how to implement it as the latest version as modders will always be a version behind, then the Devs could release a hotfix that causes any mods to break completely

And dayz/arma scripting and editing is vastly more complicated than those games, my mods would contain 1000s of lines of scripts which is a real bitch to work out when the company that made the game has updated their game and it turns out they have made a script with the same ID as yours or something similar

In other words:

A stable working game is difficult enough to mod

An uncompleted alpha will be hell

One good example is Minecraft when they changed the system entirely..threw a lot of modders "off balance".

this

+ Beans

+ Beans

Your right...only problem is the majority of them will end up like that. :P

Perhaps but it will only reflect how the majority of players want.

However there will always be vanilla servers that is a given. There will always be a server that caters exactly to your needs.

• Like 1

Although this may seem as a crack at the OP but,along with him are so many others....why are folks so impatient to this game's progression? Let them (devs) do their jobs. If its not what you are happy with then, either wait or get your money back.Either get onboard and be positive about the progression and have faith or, just stop playing it and stop complaining to everyone. Please...

• Like 1

One good example is Minecraft when they changed the system entirely..threw a lot of modders "off balance".

There are great mods for Minecraft which change the entire game (there are some kind of DayZ mods, with extreme survival)

But I haven't played it for more than a year..

Edited by EvilTigerAce

Perhaps but it will only reflect how the majority of players want.

However there will always be vanilla servers that is a given. There will always be a server that caters exactly to your needs.

True, but I would just buy my own as to increase the vanilla servers life. xD

Oh god mods. As nice as they were for the DayZ Mod, people went severely crazy with mod and there were about 20 of them. Too many, too many choices, too little people. It spread the people out so thin, there were basically nobody on the real servers anymore. I call it the DayZ Killer disease.

If they allow modding for DayZ which I hope they don't, before anyone releases a mod, I hope that mod has to go through some kind of check list to make it past a certain quality criteria so we don't end up with 10000 shit mods like last time.

• Like 5

More bullshit reasoning.

Mods will breath new life into the game and more importantly get rid of all of the unrealistic garbage added to standalone starting with the dumb dispersion and accessory system.

I quite like the accessory system, unless im misinterpreting what you mean by that, elaborate?

Just no, because kids will produce bugs/lags or non-sense shit.

There is a way too many morons in the internet to allow everyone change game

Modding support for the standalone has bren confirmed by Dean at Rezzed for Q4 (I think?). The game is in too messy a state for modders to intetpolate the information right now, but I cannot wait to see what the community do with the game once it is in their hands!

A bunch of servers with self bloodbag, 500+ vehicles etc etc

I quite like the accessory system, unless im misinterpreting what you mean by that, elaborate?

I was referring to the unrealistic aspects of it.

1. Compatibility is often wrong or missing - aka mosin with LRS and b95 with out optics

2. Unrealistic characteristics such as bipods increasing mechanical accuracy.

Although this may seem as a crack at the OP but,along with him are so many others....why are folks so impatient to this game's progression? Let them (devs) do their jobs. If its not what you are happy with then, either wait or get your money back.Either get onboard and be positive about the progression and have faith or, just stop playing it and stop complaining to everyone. Please...

Let me be perfectly clear.

This is NOT about giving the entire community the code to run with it. What i am suggesting is for the developers give the community to create our own content for a developing game. A group of 20-40 (who have signed an NDA) could take suggestions from the community, create this content and then present the developers with this.

Developers will get final say what goes into the game.

This is not modding like you are thinking of as no one will have access to this select content.

The idea of this is to take some work off developers but most importantly it allows the entire community a way to pick content and get an idea of how that content would look before everyone gets bent out of shape.

Really guys, no need to be negative about this. I would like to see what communities come up with.

Through polling and dedicated volunteers imagine the speed of which we could present the community with a new gun, village, food, animal.

If anything your being negative about the progression. Like TheWizard14 says, paranoia. Breath. It will be okay.