MCNine

Why Devs should allow early modding

I personally believe that with the games current state and the size of our community we certainly have enough "good minds" to help with the developnment.

Think about it this way:

Say you give a predetermined group of modders with access to source code/ basic utilities.

If the community had 50 people who were developing/testing new weapons, towns, physics then we may actually find something that would be great for the game and then the real developers could implement this.

Not only would it save the development some time but it would give the community early access to good content. I understand there is a development schedule and to deviate from this may cause problems but giving modders the opportunity to create loot, guns and buildings (at this moment)  shouldnt interfere with the development unless there is a feature that everyone likes so much that it is implemented. We could even assign a server on the experimental.

Developers and Dean,

I know you want to wait for to the full release to even consider mod's but look at some of the best content for many great games. It is user created. If your concern is truly about building a great zombie survival game then why not let the community get involved in development considering the most popular games are mods. Had dean not gotten the opportunity to mod Arma 2 there would be no Dayz.

-Novem

I find the game to unfinished to be able to implement things like new weapons and eventually, vehicles.

yes... they are trolling with our money.. right.

Look at the next shit... - 64BIT system... - So I need to buy this game once again? + a new operating system?

I give a shit on it

Don't get if you r trolling, they sayd 64bit and multithreaded, yes... For serverside, to handle more thing... Like playerd, sanity checks, zeds, etc etc

I find the game to unfinished to be able to implement things like new weapons and eventually, vehicles.

If you were Valve's Gabe Newell you would understand that crowdsourcing is the future of gaming.  Giving "us" at least a better input in part of the development is what we all want anyways right? Why else did we all buy an early access game in alpha. They expect us to submit bugs as they should but why shouldn't the community have a good forum to turn our ideas into realities?

Edited by MCNine

If you were Valve's Gabe Newell you would understand that crowdsourcing is the future of gaming.  Giving "us" at least a better input in part of the development is what we all want anyways right? Why else did we all buy an early access game in alpha. They expect us to submit bugs as they should but why shouldn't the community have a good forum to turn our ideas into realities?

Yes, ofcourse it's better that the community can help. That's where the Source Engines moddability and Steam Workshop, for example, comes in.

And no, i'm not the real Gabe. :P

Dunno if I've commented on this particular thread before, but I'm not in favor of modding for DayZ, especially at an early stage.

I love modding, DayZ owes its existence to it.

But as was the case in the mod (ironic), mods just hemorrhaged players from the vanilla experience to things which resembled DayZ in name only.

• Like 1

I have been hoping that modding will be restricted to more along the lines of what blizzard allowed for WoW- nothing that affects gameplay, but the UI can be tweaked and changed around. At least, for a while after the game is actually released. The engine allows for so much more, but they don't have to open it up right away- keep it locked, and keep servers vanilla for long enough to get the game solidly playable and unbugged/unbroken. THEN, open it up to modding for content.

• Like 1

i would love to play a single player version offline or a private co-op version with a few friends where i can explore, loot and not worry about trolls constantly killing on sight. yeah i know part of day z danger is other players, but i really enjoy to explore and kill zombies personally i cannot wait for that

Give me the Lingor map on DayZ SA and all will be forgiven.

Chernarus+ or not, is kind of boring without 150+ player servers (in my opinion). It just seems like an empty wasteland even on 40+ player servers..

Lingor was also way more balanced, there weren't mountains everywhere as sniper havens. Most of the map was highly obscured with jungle flora and had fairly level ground, which led to more interesting and even-sided gunfights. Lingor map size was also perfect, there was alot more excitement and less Jogging Simulator 2k14.

Ahh how I miss Lingor.. I reinstall DayzMod every now and then to check up on the Lingor server populations which are nearly non-existant these days.. everyone has abandoned it in favor of cheesy currency/trader overkill-modded maps like Epoch this or that. :(

TLDR; I would pay good money for Lingor on Dayz Standalone.

Edited by bonesnap