Sign in to follow this  
tatchell (DayZ)

New 1:1 Mouse Controls are not good for the game

Okay, I'm sorry if you have been one of those people demanding 1:1 mouse controls since SA release but what they have implemented in this new experimental is not something that I think belongs in DayZ. I really hope there are others out there who feel like this is a major setback for the realism of DayZ.

Just got back from hols so this is the first time I actually got to try it out. There are many faults with this but the most striking one is this:

Realism - I can now make my character prone or crouch and spin a full 360 in about half a second! He basically doesn't even move his legs (especially if prone)! This is just completely unrealistic, and this fact cannot be denied. This is really something I'd only expect to find on CoD or BF or any other arcade-y FPS. I'm not sure if this is a consequence 1:1 or just something else in the new mouse controls, but it isn't realistic at all. How should you be able to spin around instantaneously whilst proning, crouching and arguably standing?

Please say others agree that this is not a good thing because it sounds like the vast majority dont care about this and want the game to cater to their inner-CoD/BF player's needs :P

Edited by tatchell
  • Like 4

I understand that some people find it "immersion breaking," but i'd rather have fluid control over my character than be forced to sluggish movement. (Which didn't feel like realism at all anyway. Just an Arma 2 leftover.) And i really don't see how this is CoD-ish. Games are games, you are supposed to be in control of your own character in order to survive.

Though, what i would like to see is a slower turnspeed tied to the weight of your weapon/the gear you are carrying. Made a little differently though, since the current system was horrible.

Edited by Konna
  • Like 16

I think sometimes you have the remember that this is a video game and not real life.

Realism is an important part but sometimes fluid controls for playability reasons are more important than realism.

• Like 9

Last system was horrible. They are limiting how fast you can move your weapon but not your head/body now, I don't see any problem with it.

What's going to happen? People spinning around? How frighteningly immersion-breaking.

• Like 3

Wip! It's a base to start from and it leaves much room for discussions and ideas.

• Like 1

The way I look at it is, does BiS want to keep the older ARMA crowd and make this game they way BiS makes there games, or are they going for income?  Are they going to design DayZ to appease to a casual crowd in hopes to compete.  And this is just the start with making these controls.  It feels like I'm playing an arcade game now.

I however am going to stick by BiS and DayZ as I am still liking what's been laid out before me.  We'll just have to wait and see what they plan on doing with the controls still.

Edited by Caboose187

Last system was horrible. They are limiting how fast you can move your weapon but not your head/body now, I don't see any problem with it.

What's going to happen? People spinning around? How frighteningly immersion-breaking.

Yeah if you sneak up behind a sniper he shouldn't be able to suddenly shoot you instantly, it should take him a fairly long time to even try and aim at you from prone, so uhhh yeah, extremely immersion breaking in lots of situations like this

I understand that some people find it "immersion breaking," but i'd rather have fluid control over my character than be forced to sluggish movement. (Which didn't feel like realism at all anyway. Just an Arma 2 leftover.) And i really don't see how this is CoD-ish. Games are games, you are supposed to be in control of your own character in order to survive.

Though, what i would like to see is a slower turnspeed tied to the weight of your weapon/the gear you are carrying. Made a little differently though, since the current system was horrible.

It's CoD-ish in the way that now people can just spin around as fast as there sensitivity allows them- which is way faster than should be allowed. It's not nit-picky over-realism to prevent players from moving like super hero ninjas. And they have made it that the weapon lags the tiniest bit behind the body, but still no body can do that. It's just ridiculous and extremely immersion breaking when people do this.

The way I look at it is, does BiS want to keep the older ARMA crowd and make this game they way BiS makes there games, or are they going for income?  Are they going to design DayZ to appease to a casual crowd in hopes to compete.  And this is just the start with making these controls.  It feels like I'm playing an arcade game now.

I however am going to stick by BiS and DayZ as I am still liking what's been laid out before me.  We'll just have to wait and see what they plan on doing with the controls still.

Well wait... These new 1:1 mouse controls are from Arma 3 are they not? If so, then don't try to frame this as "BiS selling out to appease the filthy casuals!"

• Like 6

the proned 180 was possible with the old mouse controls also. so this cannot be related to 1:1 input. if they wanted to follow this track they had to change mouse controls for proned/sitting position only

I feel 1:1 mouse controls are pretty much required for any first- or third-person game. Even with the poor FPS I get in DayZ with 1:1 mouse controls I feel more in control of my character. I hope this change stays in the game.

I think I read they are going to add an improved encumbrance system, at some point, so your characters "head" will be controlled by 1:1 mouse movement but your actual body rotation/movement will be based on your currently equipped weapon type and the amount/weight of the items you have equipped.

No matter what you do you can never please everyone...but imo moving the mouse 1mm and doing a 360° turn in game is a bit unnatural.

• Like 1

I fels it god cuz u cn turn fasta but ur gun turns slwoer so it be god u cn chang it in da setins if u dnt liek it 

It's a step in the right direction but at the same time it can not be a twitch shooter if it is the game fails.

This is why free aim needs to be a thing.

• Like 1

This is also 1:1 mouse movement yet it remains sim like and does not turn into a twitch shooter.

That is what they need to emulate.

• Like 4

Yeah if you sneak up behind a sniper he shouldn't be able to suddenly shoot you instantly, it should take him a fairly long time to even try and aim at you from prone, so uhhh yeah, extremely immersion breaking in lots of situations like this

He wouldn't be able to shoot you instantly. The weapon does move slowly enough at the moment (although I think it should move slower) to make a 180 shot like that take at least 2 seconds.

And there's plenty of other immersion breaking aspects. In fact, tons of them. Most of the time, dying will instantly break immersion. Hello dead screen.

I think that the weapons should move slower than they currently do, but mouse movement should stay as it currently is in experimental.

This would solve your problems of 180 shots. And as for spinning around quickly, it's no bigger immersion breaker than zombies are. Yes, you're in a game, even if it is a game designed to simulate real life with zombies in the mix.

That is what they need to emulate.

That'd be awesome. There was a Half-Life 2 mod called Resistance and Liberation that did the same thing and I loved it. 

The trick is to pop a boner while prone; then you turn into a spinning top. Tenacious D covered something similar in their smash hit "Cock Pushups".

But in all seriousness, I agree. I've not played experimental but I can imagine what it's like. I personally welcome better movement controls, and I'm sure the devs will refine them in future. I'm pretty sure Rocket mentioned that weapon weight will affect turning speed too, so I wouldn't worry.

[by "BeefBacon"]The trick is to pop a boner while prone; then you turn into a spinning top. Tenacious D covered something similar in their smash hit "Cock Pushups".

I dont even know

Edited by DropBearChick

I understand that some people find it "immersion breaking," but i'd rather have fluid control over my character than be forced to sluggish movement.

This. I'd be happy with some middle ground between the two but anyone who says the old implementation is best should try playing on my set up for a couple of hours, they'd soon be back on experimental and appreciating the new changes. Apparently though, I must suffer for some greater good.

I also see the same old argument that this is turning DayZ in to an ego shooter or trying to appeal to casual players, you people are basically cheapening the game by saying this because you're (possibly intentionally) ignoring everything that makes DayZ, DayZ.

There will always be many more factors in a firefight than how fast your mouse turns; You will always have to worry about your gearing up to fight again, having appropriate gear and ammo, your health, your nutrition and hydration, appropriate cover, and so on. This game will never be like an ego shooter for so many reasons, but the way some of you go on you would think they were taking away perma-death and adding a regenerating cover system and perks or something.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

This is a good one.

So they've finally just said "fuck it" and done something that makes it more of a game and less of a sim. A step away from "authentic feeling" (I hesitate to say "realism").

To me, I understand the idea. Gamers expect this kind of thing. Instantly being able to alter their perspective to react to perceived threats. I would say, however, that this really was a mistake. When will the animations for eating, backpacks, switching weapons and so forth be taken out?

Slippery slope to exactly what a lot of the crustier corners of the community are afraid of.. The "COD"ing of Dayz.

It's kind of interesting actually. Larger game companies have to bend with the wind all the time or their games could wither. "Dumbing down" games is a constant bitching post for the "hardcore" in any community. It's also how you sell to more people and support your business.

So, this is an interesting turn of events. I assumed that there would be some kind of adjustability put in, but this is rather surprising. It's hard not to think slippery slope while at the same time liking the fact that the dev team are recognizing that- despite all of the outlandish claims of the community- oh yeah- they're making a game, not something even remotely realistic. Just something with certain hallmarks of authenticity that are appreciated to varying degrees by the player base.

I don't remember this discussion ever coming up in the mod, but maybe my memory is poor here.

Just turn the sensitivity down.

I thought it was to fast at first too, then I adjusted the sensitivity in the options and it feels fine now.

That'd be awesome. There was a Half-Life 2 mod called Resistance and Liberation that did the same thing and I loved it. 

The trick is to pop a boner while prone; then you turn into a spinning top. Tenacious D covered something similar in their smash hit "Cock Pushups".

But in all seriousness, I agree. I've not played experimental but I can imagine what it's like. I personally welcome better movement controls, and I'm sure the devs will refine them in future. I'm pretty sure Rocket mentioned that weapon weight will affect turning speed too, so I wouldn't worry.

Well if you remember it only takes ONE. He didn't get into the fact that if you attempt TWO it generally ends in failure and the need for costly surgery :D

I don't remember this discussion ever coming up in the mod, but maybe my memory is poor here.

The mouse control in the mod was nowhere near as bad as standalone, that's why. If they just copied the mod as a middle ground I'd be happy.

Just turn the sensitivity down.

I thought it was to fast at first too, then I adjusted the sensitivity in the options and it feels fine now.

This improved things a bit for me but not entirely, the game still sees fit to punish me.

I'm not really that bothered by the 1:1 mouse input, I do think turning while prone needs to be tweaked though.

I also think that the minimum sensitivity on the in-game slider needs to be made lower in light of in input changes. I'm playing with 500 DPI and the slider all the way down and it's two or three times the sensitivity that I'd actually like to play with.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

I don't understand how it is immersion breaking at all. Even in real life a person can change direction -180 degrees- fairly quickly (< 1 second) while standing/kneeling.Even while holding weight.

I think that people forget that spinning your body 180* and shifting stance to face another direction are two different things.

Seriously though, it's a game. The old negative mouse acceleration controls we'rent "realistic" at all. The only way I found it to be playable was to use the floatingZoneArea setting.

• Like 2