SmashT

Weekly Report: Smashing Bugs for 0.37

This week saw us start our “survival” gameplay focus. This means most of our gameplay development focus is on refining the survival aspects of the game. We detailed some of the initial work for this last week.

Trying to get 0.37 to stable

Our main focus this week was to deploy a new version of the game to stable branch. We have two public “branches” of code, stable and experimental. A deployment to stable branch of the latest version of the game was scheduled for Wednesday, however we were not happy with some of the issues that remained.

Three major code changes have been occurring. We have been changing the way collision works to solve a number of bugs, such as shooting while prone colliding with the world and zombie collisions. Also our new physics system has been implemented, allowing us to have throwing, dragging, ragdoll, and even vehicles. In addition, a new guaranteed network message system has been developed to solve network issues, improve client/server performance, as well as reduce the “desync” issues experienced by many.

A number of bugs came out of these developments, two of which cause situations where players and zombies can become invisible to some clients. We want to solve this issue before we deploy to stable. You can try the current version out for yourself on experimental branch.

Survival Cooking

Progress continued with the development of several different kinds of fireplaces, and has moved onto creating assets for constructible ovens. These items will be persistent in the world, allowing the player to cook many things. The temperature system developed in the engine has been refined to have correct return from hot or cold to ambient temperature.

Survival Combat

A new area of work commenced this week is combat directly supporting survival. This includes throwing items, bows and arrows. We now have a great new animation for throwing, and the system developed for this will allow us to support proper animations for bows (e.g. drawing bow back, awaiting player input to fire).

The next week

Both Survival Combat and Cooking are our gameplay focus for the next few weeks, with our primary goal to get 0.37+ deployed to stable as soon as possible.

We’re also looking ahead further now towards how to best position ourselves to release vehicles, barricading, and advanced physics. It’s exciting times for us all here and we can’t wait to show what’s coming in our next video blog!

Read on Tumblr

• Like 11

Awesome!! Thanks for the update SmashT

Edited by Window Licker

is great you doing more focus on survive aspect of the game :)

I am excite for bow and arrow also ;)

We have been changing the way collision works to solve a number of bugs, such as shooting while prone colliding with the world and zombie collisions. 

A number of bugs came out of these developments, two of which cause situations where players and zombies can become invisible to some clients.

I hope that means no more zombies walking through walls.  :)

Invisible players and zombies is a deal breaker... I hope they fix that soon. 

bows? bows for what? for my dog? 

1795612_676994315672658_1581585759_n.jpg

i want to use ak and m4's  

so are you guys planning on adding other updates together again .hell make it .39 make us wait another month for an update we'll all play experimental for the next month. you know how much fun that is.

so the update is coming today or not?i hope it is because i am going to find some stuff and shoot some dirty bandits while they walking wet outside and it is raining:D

Do you have a rough status of what the experimental servers are at just now? I've looked on the experimental branch thread in the Announcements forum, but the OP by Rocket has a list that hasn't been updated since the 26th of February.

So no update today I take it? ..Im okay with that if things are being added as quickly as it sounds like they will be :)

So no update today I take it? ..Im okay with that if things are being added as quickly as it sounds like they will be :)

My experimental is updating, forgot to switch back to stable :P

Edited by Caboose187

So what happened to .37? Is it getting shelved, and replaced by .42 going on exp servers?

Confused now...

They still have a couple of bugs that they need to iron out.  Last tweet was not happening today as it it 8pm wherever they are and they don't work on weekends

They still have a couple of bugs that they need to iron out.  Last tweet was not happening today as it it 8pm wherever they are and they don't work on weekends

Just saw that myself and was about to edit my post to reflect it. Oh well.