Irish.

Chernarus Map Easter Egg

So most of you know that Chernarus is based off of a real life location in the Czech Republic. Some of you may also know about the history of Arma 2 stating that Chernarus is a fictional location, and exactly where that fictional place is on the map.

Much conversation has been had on this subject. Whether the map designers focused more on this fictional location or whether the focus is on the Czech Republic real life locale. We all know this real life location can be found on google maps, and the Chernarus layout matches almost exactly... 

But some of you may not know about an easter egg in game, near Lopatino, that shows a street sign stating: "Moscow - 2,172km -->". I recently found this website that discusses the easter egg and they found the distance to place Chernarus exactly in the Czech Republic, and precisely the same distance and direction as found in the easter egg.

http://insidedayz.de/2172-kilometers-to-moscow/

So it looks like the map designers intended to let us all know where this place was exactly and hid that info in one nicely tucked away easter egg. :) Enjoy!

• Like 5

That's quite interesting. I guess canonical Chernarus is the same distance from Moscow as the Czech Republic in a different direction.

• Like 1

Not precisely...don't wanna sound like a prick but on the picture it clearly says "2098 km".

Cool easter-egg tough

Edited by Snowball
  • Like 1

It's "Usty Nad Labem":

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Aussig/@50.6438734,14.052697,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x470984a714d02511:0x400af0f66160e00

You might be able to see the exact shape of Chernarus in there.

Which is funny, because "Labem" is the "Elbe" in German and that's exactly where I live. Right by the Elbe in Hamburg.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 2

It's "Usty Nad Labem":

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Aussig/@50.6438734,14.052697,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x470984a714d02511:0x400af0f66160e00

Which is funny, because "Labem" is the "Elbe" in German and that's exactly where I live. Right by the Elbe in Hamburg.

Send us some zombie pictures.

• Like 2

omg git off teh coast u n00b!11  :lol:

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 2

Not precisely...don't wanna sound like a prick but on the picture it clearly says "2.098 km".

Cool easter-egg tough

On the online map, that is a comma, not a period. 

On the online map, that is a comma, not a period. 

Yeah just saw it..however for me a comma actually means a decimal so I tend to use a period or just nothing at all with big numbers :p

Not precisely...don't wanna sound like a prick but on the picture it clearly says "2,098 km".

Cool easter-egg tough

No offense taken.. I was aware that someone would call that out.

Also, beans for your sig ;)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

This is something I noticed a long while ago but never really thought much of it. I even bothered to translate the name to see what it was. I was hoping it was a hint towards expanding the game area :p

That was in ArmA 2.

I know these things...because I spent hours driving around by myself in the editor. No real objective. Found some lovely, lovely things. Including a sign to Miroslavl.

Yeah, I'm fucking weird.

Don't want to sound pretentious, but I've known about this for a while.

There used to be a sign north of Lopatino as well IIRC, I think near Skalka (when it used to be a thing).

"Whether the map designers focused more on this fictional location or whether the focus is on the Czech Republic real life locale. We all know this real life location can be found on google maps, and the Chernarus layout matches almost exactly"

Not sure what this means, we've already known that Chernarus was adjacent to Russia in the fiction.

ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

It just seems clear that they used their surroundings as an aesthetic basis for designing the fictional country of Chernarus.

Cool easter egg though! There's also a designer's signature written in bushes on the western side of the map IIRC.

Not precisely...don't wanna sound like a prick but on the picture it clearly says "2.098 km".

If it did say 2.098km which it doesn't who takes 21hrs and 59min to drive 2.098km!?!?!?! You can walk that far faster then that bro lol.

If it did say 2.098km which it doesn't who takes 21hrs and 59min to drive 2.098km!?!?!?! You can walk that far faster then that bro lol.

--" If you're referring to the comma/period thing, I mean 2,098 km. In my country a comma is used for decimals & a period for big numbers...just sayin'.

I'm probably gonna edit that out in my first post tough 

--" If you're referring to the comma/period thing, I mean 2,098 km. In my country a comma is used for decimals & a period for big numbers...just sayin'.

I'm probably gonna edit that out in my first post tough 

OH ok i am sorry if i offended you at all i was just confused lol

Nice find, id never seen this one. I know about the.....errr how to say without spoilers....thing....inside the errrr....thing..... in Cherno lol. Thought that was the only one till now :) 

Nice find, id never seen this one. I know about the.....errr how to say without spoilers....thing....inside the errrr....thing..... in Cherno lol. Thought that was the only one till now  :)

hehe I know about that thing (ifn its the thing ima thinkin) - there is one inside the errr....thing.... at vybor too ;)

So most of you know that Chernarus is based off of a real life location in the Czech Republic. Some of you may also know about the history of Arma 2 stating that Chernarus is a fictional location, and exactly where that fictional place is on the map.

Much conversation has been had on this subject. Whether the map designers focused more on this fictional location or whether the focus is on the Czech Republic real life locale. We all know this real life location can be found on google maps, and the Chernarus layout matches almost exactly... 

But some of you may not know about an easter egg in game, near Lopatino, that shows a street sign stating: "Moscow - 2,172km -->". I recently found this website that discusses the easter egg and they found the distance to place Chernarus exactly in the Czech Republic, and precisely the same distance and direction as found in the easter egg.

http://insidedayz.de/2172-kilometers-to-moscow/

So it looks like the map designers intended to let us all know where this place was exactly and hid that info in one nicely tucked away easter egg. :) Enjoy!

This is 100% accurate. I discovered this when I took a wrong turn to Lopatino and saw the sign.

It's "Usty Nad Labem":

Is it just a coincidence that there is a "Interhotel Bohemia"?

It's "Usty Nad Labem":

It's Usti (or Ústí properly in Czech) dammit :D

I might start sending you PMs in bottles down the river then, since our office is right by Vltava which flows into Labe.

• Like 1

I might start sending you PMs in bottles down the river then, since our office is right by Vltava which flows into Labe.

Do it!

• Like 1

you have to at least once do it.. video it for the love of the internet if you do :P