bioned

im not sure upcoming features are "positive" to the game

Back to when someone said adding more guns is unrealistic, I can't post their comment here because I'm on phone, but it makes it more realistic if anything. Go into people's house and you would see a huge variety of guns not the same 5 that are on this game

You bonkers rust has a deep and amazing crafting system.

Oh you're right.  Collect 10 pieces of wood and some stone and I can magically make a bow.   Oh I think we need some crap from some animal too.  I'll just smash one with a rock and get perfect meat and, cloth from it.

• Like 1

Oh you're right. Collect 10 pieces of wood and some stone and I can magically make a bow. Oh I think we need some crap from some animal too. I'll just smash one with a rock and get perfect meat and, cloth from it.

I agree. That everyone knows how to perfectly make a function bow is silly. What if, then, the quality of the bow (and whatever else made) increased as you make more of them and learned, through your mistakes, what did and didn't work? People on the forums have argued that adding character experience to the game "doesn't belong" in DayZ, but having a character become better at such tasks would make sense, and would give not only more worth to a character's life (something that many of us feel is absent) as well as make sense.

This would also address the difference in opinion people have in regards to whether or not the average person could make a functioning bow (or anything else, really).

Which wars, again? Are you considering Vietnam a victory? Iraq?

Or do American's still believe they won in 1812?

Well sir. Vietnam was not our war to lose. We were simply helping, and decided we had enough. Iraq? Not really a major war, and we DID kill Bin Ladin. 

1812? Only dumb Americans believe we won (Oh yeah, that's about 95% of our population, shit!). Seriously though, America has won many many wars, a great win percentage. Oh no, we lost 2 wars! Also, 1812 was the FIRST war we were ever in, don't forget that. (Don't give me shit saying "Oh, the revolutionary war!" It's just fucking that, a revolutionary war, we weren't a country, yet.) 

You played your hand, I played mine. I await a well thought-out response that's not complete bullshit. If it is, I will call bullshit-man. If you know who Karl Pilkington is, you'll know exactly what I mean.

You guys amaze me sometimes. 

I couldn't care less about where you are from or what things your country has done. That discussion ends now; stay on-topic

Besides, we all know Australia is the superior country.

That was a joke.

Fuck you all, Somalia best country, hand down. We take out all ur blak hawkz.

Well sir. Vietnam was not our war to lose. We were simply helping, and decided we had enough. Iraq? Not really a major war, and we DID kill Bin Ladin. 

1812? Only dumb Americans believe we won (Oh yeah, that's about 95% of our population, shit!). Seriously though, America has won many many wars, a great win percentage. Oh no, we lost 2 wars! Also, 1812 was the FIRST war we were ever in, don't forget that. (Don't give me shit saying "Oh, the revolutionary war!" It's just fucking that, a revolutionary war, we weren't a country, yet.) 

You played your hand, I played mine. I await a well thought-out response that's not complete bullshit. If it is, I will call bullshit-man. If you know who Karl Pilkington is, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Can you not read?

I couldn't care less about where you are from or what things your country has done. That discussion ends now; stay on-topic

You bonkers rust has a deep and amazing crafting system.

I hope you are using heavy sarcasm here.

You should never be able to craft an M4 out of rocks and shit.

That is just ridiculous, IMO.

Rust's crafting system works for Rust, but it doesn't fit in DayZ IMO.

Crafting weapons such as bows, maces and clubs, grenades, anything that makes sense and can be done IRL is the kind of things that IMO fit in DayZ's crafting system.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

Oh you're right.  Collect 10 pieces of wood and some stone and I can magically make a bow.   Oh I think we need some crap from some animal too.  I'll just smash one with a rock and get perfect meat and, cloth from it.

OK I'm not a rust aficionado but it seems to me that you can make high quality weapons and scopes and laser pointers from basically stone and sticks. Do you even need to make tools first before you can make a gun and all these things?

National honor is serious business, but I acquiesce :P

Back on topic:

Creating a bow, without modern machinery, is undeniably easier than creating a modern firearm. And by-and-large, most people likely understand the basic mechanics of each. That said, is crafting a easy? Is it easy enough for the average person to make by hand? Would that bow make an effective and reliable weapon? And would the average person be able to effectively use it if it were?

To each of those questions I am inclined to say no. The annecdotal evidence supplied earlier put aside, I'm doubtful any average person is going to pull it off. There's simply a lot of knowledge that goes into creating a working bow and the arrows it fires. What types of wood should you use? How do you select the proper length and width? What shape should it be? How do you treat the wood? What sort of "string" should you use, and how do you treat that? How long are the arrows? How wide? What sort of feathers, or other materials, should you use to stabilize them? What makes a good arrow head? What shape should it be?

And if you plan on making a laminate bow, you run into further complications. What materials are you using? What sort of adhesive, and where can you find it or how can you make it?

There would simply be so much trial and error involved that I wouldn't call the process an easy one, and I wouldn't consider a crafting system where you take wood and some string, mix them together, and end up with a deadly weapon a particularly realistic one, if we want to bring realism into the debate.

look up pvc bow

a head like a fucking orange!

haha

look up pvc bow

In a Zed world, we won't have 'google' to look up this cool and wonderful stuff. Only 1 in a 1000 knows this cool stuff, and that 1 guy didn't survive the infection. Basically the only ones left behind are people that don't know the really cool stuff, such as cutting firewood into sticks, which could be used for splints.

In a Zed world, we won't have 'google' to look up this cool and wonderful stuff. Only 1 in a 1000 knows this cool stuff, and that 1 guy didn't survive the infection. Basically the only ones left behind are people that don't know the really cool stuff, such as cutting firewood into sticks, which could be used for splints.

Yeah.  Its a pain to have a broken limb and millions of trees around you. 

PVC bow will be a craftable item. 

With being able to burn books soon, I think they should hold more value to and allow players to learn stuff like this.  Dealing with the meta of the game will need balance.  A player should be able to logically craft an item even if there character might not have an idea.

Nothing too expansive, But flipping through random books for hunting and survival gives the player boosted "recipes" resulting in a better crafted item.  These could be logged into the player journal if implemented.

Dead risings crafting system comes to mind, but not that much over the top.

This can also be expanded upon.  Being in close proximity with someone or looting finer items, you passively learn their survival skills or recipes.

Edited by Gorvi

You guys amaze me sometimes. 

Besides, we all know Australia is the superior country.

That was a joke.

I'll go with that.  Their women are all super hot and descended from criminals!

• Like 1

Yeah.  Its a pain to have a broken limb and millions of trees around you. 

PVC bow will be a craftable item. 

With being able to burn books soon, I think they should hold more value to and allow players to learn stuff like this.  Dealing with the meta of the game will need balance.  A player should be able to logically craft an item even if there character might not have an idea.

Nothing too expansive, But flipping through random books for hunting and survival gives the player boosted "recipes" resulting in a better crafted item.  These could be logged into the player journal if implemented.

Dead risings crafting system comes to mind, but not that much over the top.

This can also be expanded upon.  Being in close proximity with someone or looting finer items, you passively learn their survival skills or recipes.

PVC pipes will have multiple uses man.

PVP pipe  + hacksaw + black powder extracted from shotgun shells = pipebomb

Pipebomb + wire = tripwire pipebomb ied

Pipebomb + buckshot shotgun shells + ducktape = heavy sharpnel pipebomb.

Pipebomb + matches in inventory  = you can light a pipebomb once in your hand with the middle mouse.

Pipe bomb + wire + battery = remote triggered pipebomb.

PVC pipes will have multiple uses man.

PVP pipe  + hacksaw + black powder extracted from shotgun shells = pipebomb

Pipebomb + wire = tripwire pipebomb ied

Pipebomb + buckshot shotgun shells + ducktape = heavy sharpnel pipebomb.

Pipebomb + matches in inventory  = you can light a pipebomb once in your hand with the middle mouse.

Pipe bomb + wire + battery = remote triggered pipebomb.

Will, or should?

i feel like the more they release about dayz

its slowly turning from a modern zombie survival game to a caveman zombie survival game

well bows? there will be technical bows and crossbows so lets call it ok

i agree with the idea that gathering rocks and woods (sound familiar?) is an important aspect of surviving

but i just cant stop thinking about it 

dayz is loosing its modern-ness and morphing into a caveman game..

Well if society goes to shit and zombies are eating faces, you will lose modern-ness.