Canned Muffins

Crossbow being effective

Well, I looked at the current values for the crossbow...

-it's 1.2x more accurate than the M4A1 and half as accurate than the SKS (9 inch circle at 25 yards)

-it fires 2 rounds per second (what)

-muzzle velocity 100 m/s

-it does 1.6x the damage of 5.56x45mm and 0.7x of 7.62x51mm

-has the same shock and bleeding values as .22 LR

-maximum range ca. 365 meters

CROSSBOW IS OP

Wow thats terrible.....

especially 2 rounds a second.

It should be 2 rounds a minute if that.

You have never fired a crossbow if you think 2 shots a minute is even close to how fast people can prep and fire in real life. It takes about 10 seconds tops to prep a crossbow if you are taking your time. I suggest you go prep a crossbow and notice you can do it in like 7 second if you are even mildly familiar with how to pull back the string and load a bot in the flight grove.(its not hard nor rocket science) In a minute you should be able to fire 7-8 bolts just fine. What we see is placeholder for fire rate obviously and the sights were not zeroed at all but its flight path looked fine. Even at 30 meters you could see the trajectory effecting the flight path. Again I think you need to do some research before you go on crusade against what crossbows can actually do.

The reload animation after its "mag" was up was good but that should be every shot. From the video we see that  5-7 seconds reload and prep time is what we should see in a final product and correct sights that are zeroed.

Edited by Canned Muffins
  • Like 1

100 meters per second is 300 feet persecond, the maximum recommended speed of a paintball. It may have really good statistics on paper, but at anything past 50 feet and moving will propose a significant problem. Anything 300 feet or more can react if they see the shooter, and move by the time the arrow would arrive. And anything beyond that you can actually see the missile and move out of the way :) Im sure there will also be significant damage fall off at more than probably 150m.

It's a crossbow its gonna be useless against guns.

No amount of fake tweaks will change this.

For all you that will begin to claim "but daryl"

The show is full of crap, if Daryl was put out in a real non made up survival NROL situation he would have died to a person wielding a gun right away.

You are assuming one would go head to head with a crossbow against a person wielding a firearm. It will be a very handy weapon when it comes to stealth, both for killing zombies and other players, especially when you are outnumbered but have the drop on someone.

Are guys sure you want a cross bow?  We can expect zero percent chance we will see arrows sticking into your victims, especially where you shot for hit detection.   Zombies bodies disappear at the instant of kill.   You will have no sense of immersion or satisfaction of bow hunting.

No, I would rather have a helicopter with machine guns attached to it. That's much, much, much more realistic in a post apocalyptic setting.

Who cares if we can't see the arrows, I can't see a hole in my pipsi can when drinking it either. It's a silent weapon that doesn't draw attention. Arrows can be crafted, not magically appear as bullets do.

i can shot zomnie on more than 110m! Bandit over 75m

... not sure if you're joking, please be joking..

Irl, it would prolly be easier to make a functional crossbow than to find one. I would however like to stay far away from minecraft style crafting. It would be awesome if we could get some knowledge / skill involved in making items.

Bows and crossbows would be invaluable for those not traveling in large groups. The lack of "bang" is compensated by the lack of "bang", so to speak.

Imo you should be able to kill with a single arrow, provided you hit a vital area with a well constructed bow & arrow. Anything else should result in "bleeding" at best.

Effectiveness of the crossbow should reflect the fact that it is used to hunt big game at times and was used as a weapon against humans for centuries.

Otherwise agree with your post, however this argument is incoherent. Modern Crossbow =/= Medieval Crossbow.

Once the amount of guns is reduced and controlled, as well as irreplaceable ammunition for those guns, hunting with a crossbow/bow would be viable because you can retrieve your bolts/arrows.

Also, a broadhead arow to the lung/chest/heart area can cause an animal/human to bleed out and die within 10 seconds.

Once the amount of guns is reduced and controlled, as well as irreplaceable ammunition for those guns, hunting with a crossbow/bow would be viable because you can retrieve your bolts/arrows.

Also, a broadhead arow to the lung/chest/heart area can cause an animal/human to bleed out and die within 10 seconds.

10 seconds? Damn how big is that broadhead arrow lmfao. Does it slice you in half or something? (yes, rhetorical)

Edited by weedmasta

Lol can't understand the hate against the crossbow here.

NOBODY is forcing you to pick up one, if you hate it so much just leave it on the ground.

I will happily pick it up and nail your @ss with it though.

This. I have no issues with any added weapon in Dayz so far and I am actually looking forward to the x-bow and bow. I like the idea of a silent kill - the Amphibia S already does a great job at this, providing its a HS.

10 seconds? Damn how big is that broadhead arrow lmfao. Does it slice you in half or something? (yes, rhetorical)

Hahahaha I mean that if the arteries/veins that run straight from your heart get severed in two, you're dead.

... not sure if you're joking, please be joking..

im not you just need to practice dude and the crossbow can be very deadly!

Lol can't understand the hate against the crossbow here.

NOBODY is forcing you to pick up one, if you hate it so much just leave it on the ground.

I will happily pick it up and nail your @ss with it though.

Btw I don't think it will be 1 hit kill, except headshot, else it would be stupid.

Pitty that arma engine is not capable of simulating hit's to vital organs though.

The hate stems from it being seen as a waste of time along with the bow.

Waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

I like the idea of crossbows and bows for that matter, I would consider it an achievement to kill someone with either weapon. Get close of them to use said weapon at an effective range and then ping a bolt/arrow through there head. Also I wonder when rag doll is implemented if you shoot someone in the leg could you cripple them and go in for easy kill.

hhmmm maybe i shouldn`t get one of these weapons I reckon I would die ALOT!! lots of fun trying it thou.

Other than that perfect way in a group for clearing a town, two with crossbows one with fire axe, silently cleaning out a town. Maybe another person at the back with a pistol for backup.

Roll on lots of zombies I say

Hahahaha I mean that if the arteries/veins that run straight from your heart get severed in two, you're dead.

You'd have to get through the ribcage first.

It stems from the uselessness of the bow and cross bow.

A musket would have been more useful.

That is for damn sure. 

Seriously, if I had to choose between a musket and a crossbow, I would choose the musket every single time, with zero hesitation. Here is why:

• Logistics. Ammunition for the musket cannot be easier to make (melt down lead tire weights, house flashing, etc) Propellant is slightly harder, but doable with some no-how and materials that can be made easily or found in an residential building. Arrows/bolts have to be made for the specific bow, and have to be perfectly straight in shaft and fletching in order to fly with any accuracy.
  • Ease of use. Literally anybody can load, prime, and fire a musket, so long as they can use a ramrod and see down the barrel. A bow has to be made to a specific person's draw weight and length. A crossbow, while easier to use, still has to be manually operated using the users strength.
    • Ease of use, continued. Plenty of musket replicas can be ordered/made with rear sights, something period firearms usually lack. However, since you aren't really going to  be making shots beyond 100 yards anyways, the sights don't have to be graduated, and can be improvised relatively easily. Then, all that is required is "point and shoot, until you get better" Bows and Crossbows require far more practice to be able to predict where the projectile will travel. There is a reason early modern armies switched from bows and crossbows to firearms, after all : The learning curve  and time it took for a soldier to become proficient was much lower than a bow or a crossbow 
  • Power: A .69 musket ball will blow your arm off if it hits you in the shoulder. A soft lead bullet will deform greatly on impact, transferring much of its kinetic energy to the target instead of passing straight through (which makes it easier to recover spent bullets from the target, coincidentally), whereas an arrow or bolt will made a comparatively tiny hole. Also, you can decrease the powder charge when firing at different targets. Hunting smaller game? Use a smaller powder charge (alongside shot) Going into combat? Load that sucker up
    • Personal experience. I have a friend that hunts larger game, namely deer, with a Brown Bess replica, firing .735 lead roundshot (for improved accuracy and power). He hit a deer in the upper shoulder at about 60 yards. Thing hopped about a bit, then dropped. We came up to check it, to find out that the ball had hit the shoulder blade, shattered it, then left a wound channel in the flesh that I could fit my fist inside of. Don't underestimate a musket!
  • Multifunctionality: A musket can be used for many different purposes. Shoot round ball for large game, then switch to shot for small game and birds. Get surprised, swing the butt about like a club, or (if you've got it), stick em with the point end (bayonet) A crossbow can only shoot one size of projectile, and from what I've seen about their shape, seem really clunky and unusable in CQC.

All in all, I'd choose a modern firearm over both. But if I had to choose one, I'd take the musket it a heartbeat. The only thing a crossbow beats a musket in is noise.

That is for damn sure. 

Seriously, if I had to choose between a musket and a crossbow, I would choose the musket every single time, with zero hesitation. Here is why:

• Logistics. Ammunition for the musket cannot be easier to make (melt down lead tire weights, house flashing, etc) Propellant is slightly harder, but doable with some no-how and materials that can be made easily or found in an residential building. Arrows/bolts have to be made for the specific bow, and have to be perfectly straight in shaft and fletching in order to fly with any accuracy.
  • Ease of use. Literally anybody can load, prime, and fire a musket, so long as they can use a ramrod and see down the barrel. A bow has to be made to a specific person's draw weight and length. A crossbow, while easier to use, still has to be manually operated using the users strength.

Err...... NO?

Making gunpowder worth anything is not that easy. If you know some magic formula that ive never seen let me know. It is actually easier to make a sharpened stick with a bit of fletching on the end.

Loading a musket, on a good day, probably takes 2 to 3 times longer than re cocking a crossbow. There is no training on a crossbow, you lock the string back, place the bolt on it, aim and fire.

For a musket you must:

Insert a measured amount of powder, insert wadding, insert ball. Add powder to flash pan (unless you use a primer than you need to replace it) than you can finally get your one shot off. 

• Like 3

Are guys sure you want a cross bow?  We can expect zero percent chance we will see arrows sticking into your victims, especially where you shot for hit detection.   Zombies bodies disappear at the instant of kill.   You will have no sense of immersion or satisfaction of bow hunting.

they already have screenshots of the arrows sticking in victims. Zombies despawn right away at the moment of death so the server doesn't get cluttered with useless bodies and lag it. Zombies and player corpses will persist longer when optimization of the servers happen. Also, the ragdoll physics are part of the crossbow patch so you will see them working together.

Judopunch, on 07 Apr 2014 - 4:24 PM, said:

Err...... NO?

Making gunpowder worth anything is not that easy. If you know some magic formula that ive never seen let me know. It is actually easier to make a sharpened stick with a bit of fletching on the end.

Loading a musket, on a good day, probably takes 2 to 3 times longer than re cocking a crossbow. There is no training on a crossbow, you lock the string back, place the bolt on it, aim and fire.

For a musket you must:

Insert a measured amount of powder, insert wadding, insert ball. Add powder to flash pan (unless you use a primer than you need to replace it) than you can finally get your one shot off. 

It takes me about 20 seconds to fully reload and prime my friends musket, and I haven't practiced with it as much as he has.

All you need to make blackpowder is potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal in amounts by weight. A "standard" formula my friend uses is .100 parts saltpeter + 18 parts coal + 16 parts sulfur. Mix in some piss while milling, and sieve the result through a screen once it is dry. Boom (ha ha). Blackpowder. 
http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html

Potassium nitrate can be scraped out of animal piss-covered straw (ie, the barns from around Chernarus) or, off the top of a septic tank. Sulfur, you can find in a drugstore or, simply scrape off the heads of matches. Charcoal would be readily available.

Also, you can premeasure the powder, wadding, and ball into a paper cartridge. My friend uses rolling papers and shoves the whole deal into the barrel after priming. The paper burns completely after ignition. This cuts down his loading time significantly.

Also, there certainly is training required with a crossbow, just like there is training required for effective use with any ranged weapon. It is just that the musket is easier to become proficient with, in a shorter period of time, than a crossbow or regular self-bow. Look up the rationale behind european militaries switching from "traditional" ranged weapons to firearms. Chances are, that is going to be reason #1.
Edited by Whyherro123

The hate stems from it being seen as a waste of time along with the bow.

Waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

So glad I will never be playing the game you want... all your suggestions are horrid.

• Like 1

-shortened-

Though I believe it would be overly difficult, if not impossible, to create meaningful gunpowder and arm a muzzle loader McGuiver style, That doesnt mean it wouldnt be a fun addition to the game at some point ;) Especially if you get the huge-ass cloud effect when you fire it....

I still think you could train someone how to arm and shoot a crossbow well faster than you could teach someone how to arm and shoot a muzzle-loader. Let alone how to smelt their own lead and make their own gunpowder.

Edit: This is what I am talking about. Your not going to be killing anyone with this :P

Edited by Judopunch