Canned Muffins

Crossbow being effective

Be careful, you could end up spending hours watching that guy fool about with guns... :D

I see a musket as a slow and loud alternative to a crossbow. A crossbow I can see having a silent and fast effect on proximity targets.

I see a musket as a slow and loud alternative to a crossbow. A crossbow I can see having a silent and fast effect on proximity targets.

Muskets and crossbows would have a very similar firing rate.

Muskets and crossbows would have a very similar firing rate.

Except that for crossbow you would have a lot easier time to craft ammo, then  for musket.

Let's not pretend, that if world went really to shit, everybody would be running with M4's with backpack full of ammo.

Atleast not several years after...

Anyway we are talking about DayZ and there is simply ZERO reasons for not having working crossbow in.

Devs will just have to tweak reloading time and other stuff and it will be just fine.

Except that for crossbow you would have a lot easier time to craft ammo, then  for musket.

Let's not pretend, that if world went really to shit, everybody would be running with M4's with backpack full of ammo.

Atleast not several years after...

Anyway we are talking about DayZ and there is simply ZERO reasons for not having working crossbow in.

Devs will just have to tweak reloading time and other stuff and it will be just fine.

I am sorry, but do you know the least thing about carving, fletching, and nocking arrows? It isn't just "find stick, glue feathers, attach point" There was a reason there were craftsmen during the Middle Ages who were specifically hired to make arrows. It is a very exact science, dependent on a relatively high knowledge of physics and aerodynamics.

The shaft has to be straight, not just "looks good enough"

The fletchings have to be put on straight, again, not "just good enough"

The shaft also has to be able to resist the forces applied during and after firing, and be of a proper length for the user.

The whole point of using alternate weaponry in-game is the fact (that I believe, at least) that after a reasonable length of time, the manufactured ammunition for modern rifles would be gone. No primers, no smokeless powder, no new brass (you can only reload spent brass so many times, with the exception of certain cartridges, of which 5.56mm is certainly not).

I am sorry, but do you know the least thing about carving, fletching, and nocking arrows? It isn't just "find stick, glue feathers, attach point" There was a reason there were craftsmen during the Middle Ages who were specifically hired to make arrows. It is a very exact science, dependent on a relatively high knowledge of physics and aerodynamics.

I was not pretending to be craftsman. Still, there is higher chance of me crafting crossbow arrow/bolt then bullet for M4 :-).

you can make a bow as an atachment for the m4 but it will take lots of space in your bag or some thing :P

Oh my god... this thread.

People dont understand that this is alpha, that crossbow demo has values just thrown in and not tweaked, missing animations etc. Making idiotic assumptions based unfinished things. And debating about bows firepower loading times and all between without actual knowledge... it just hilarious.
Doesnt need much knowledge to browse through youtube to get an idea what these things are capable of.

And less Daryl, what? People need to stop watching TWD if crossbow with accessories is immediately epic Daryl or something.

Get some grip people.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous. In WV just about anything you can hunt with is legal.

He's trolling that law sounds retarded how many paralyzed people do you know that can go into a hunting stand or shack without making a lot of noise or do they sit in their wheelchair to hunt? Honestly he's lying dude you can use a crossbow in any state no matter who you are so long as you don't have urges to kill people......

crossbow should have ten arrows have a range of 30-50m max.

reload should be slow after firing.

only game i seen that does it right is thehunter.

Why's everyone bringing up tactical military and medieval crossbows? WILL you EVER find a crossbow like that? Maybe if you were lucky but if so I want them to be rare most crossbows are going to be smaller than these video ones and for hunting for one for two a bow's power depends on how strong you are and how far you can pull back to shoot it don't tell me every survivor has superman strength to shoot a hundred yards and hit dead on that's just inconceivable. 

The shaft also has to be able to resist the forces applied during and after firing, and be of a proper length for the user.

For actual combat purposes against other people yes, however using only a small rusty axe I used to make bows and arrows when I was on vacation, heck I even still have crossbow lying around made of flexible plastic sticks and wood and the bolts fire pretty accurate at around 30m-40m they don't have a pointy end but I can guarantee you (from personal experience) that they pack quite enough power to leave some serious bruises.

And that is with very little knowledge about wood crafting and "aerodynamics", you really should go read an SAS survival guide, it'll explain to you how to make a simple hunting bow and if it can kill animals it'll be able to kill humans simple as that.

Sure my bow and crossbow weren't dead on accurate, sure I would prefer a gun in pvp but what I'm trying to say here is that you don't have to be a master craftsman to make something that can fire a bolt/arrow and that can actually kill. (I was 14 when I made these things)

Heck I remember my makeshift crossbow could fire beyond the 100 meter range although at that point you wouldn't hit anything considering the arch.

The whole point of using alternate weaponry in-game is the fact (that I believe, at least) that after a reasonable length of time, the manufactured ammunition for modern rifles would be gone. No primers, no smokeless powder, no new brass (you can only reload spent brass so many times, with the exception of certain cartridges, of which 5.56mm is certainly not).

I think the point is that you can get a reasonably functional arrow easier than you can scrounge and mix chemicals to get a reliable enough powder that will create meaningful compression.

But if we want even easier, we have thrown spears, slings, and sling shots that with a bit of practice could all end up being lethal   :)

Was having trouble finding 'speed shooting' with a crossbow, but using this midevle styled one he was getting about 1 bolt off every 10 seconds, with what looks like a low draw tension http://youtu.be/HagCuGXJgUs?t=2m23s

This one shows 8 bolts per minute:

and here is a muzzle loader at around 3 per minute guy is moving FAST too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a6nKuAnSO8

Like I said, black powder weapons would be cool as hell. But finding/making powder, noise and reload times are a trade off for accuracy and range.

Also thought this was interesting:

And lastly I may have stumbled on something I could like more than paintball ...

Edited by Judopunch

We now have the crossbow in experimental. I think to expand on versatility of the weapon system we can consider a variety of loads that the bolts will showcase. I don't think explosive loads are too appropriate but I do see poison and different arrow heads as fine. If it does not go this deep I think we should at least have craftable bolts and be able to taint them in some way.