Canned Muffins

Crossbow being effective

If people are interested in seeing one crossbow system that can hit 100+ yards consistently and in a lethal manner than I will show you a model of crossbow that we wont see in DayZ but that exists as of last year.This man is hitting targets the size of softballs at 100 yards.Crossbows are going to be short range assassin weapons and tools for hunting than for PVP. If you are being shot at by a person with a firearm than you do have this system to fight with but its not going to be as effective. Also anyone thats interested there are systems that can hit up to 200+ yards but they say to not use the system against any animal at this range because it wont be ass effective as it would be at say 100 yards or less. Just because you can shoot at these ranges doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jv7kVexX3g

Edited by Canned Muffins

Any gun is an ambush king. They can't hear your gunshots if you blow off their head and by extension, their ears.

Except, once you fire your gun, you give away your position to both players and zombies alike, so, good luck staying in position and not being forced out of your ambush position. 

With a crossbow, you're silent and deadly; and if the person you kill have friends with them, they won't even know what happened and likely before they do, they'll have bolts to the head as well.

• Like 1

It should be noted that an arrow SHOULD NOT do damage to areas that are protected by helmets. In open areas on the helm yes but areas that are specifically designed to take a beating should not be the most easy to penetrate. Granted the helm is not made out of leather or at the very least paper.

• Like 1

Have fun trying to hit anything with a crossbow (or a bow, for that matter) beyond 50 feet consistantly. Unless you are very well trained, you just aren't going to be making those "long-distance 7331 crossbow-sniper" shots.

There is a reason most of the world dropped bows and other mechanical projectile-throwers like a hot potato as soon as firearms became more viable; ease of use and much, MUCH lower training time required to become proficient. Plus, firearms could penetrate/deform the armor of the time, while crossbows and self-bows couldn't unless at short range.

.75 musket ball vs arrow/bolt at 50 yards. Which would you want to use?

Lol can't understand the hate against the crossbow here.

NOBODY is forcing you to pick up one, if you hate it so much just leave it on the ground.

I will happily pick it up and nail your @ss with it though.

Btw I don't think it will be 1 hit kill, except headshot, else it would be stupid.

Pitty that arma engine is not capable of simulating hit's to vital organs though.

Edited by Hombre

the crossbow should realistically reload in about 15-30 seconds.

for game balance it will probably be reduced to 10 seconds.

there will probably be a "daryl attachment" that has 5 bolts on the front, which not only increases ammo count, but improves reload speed by 50%.

crossbows should be either a hunting primary, or an "oh shit i don't have anything else" weapon.

i don't think that will happen and crossbows will be op/everywhere because daryl/RP fanboiz

People Keep saying guns will be way more powerful. I hope they keep thinking this. That way when I ambush them in the middle of a town, and they return fire with their superior weapons, only to get overrun by zombies 10 seconds later, they can be glad they have such powerful guns. As I pick them off. One. By one.

• Like 1

People Keep saying guns will be way more powerful. I hope they keep thinking this. That way when I ambush them in the middle of a town, and they return fire with their superior weapons, only to get overrun by zombies 10 seconds later, they can be glad they have such powerful guns. As I pick them off. One. By one.

Crossbows aren't silent. They don't make a lot of noise, especially compared to a firearm, but they (including bows) aren't completely-silent-death-machines. Think "TWANG" compared to a gun's " CRACK". You fire a crossbow near someone, they are going to hear it. Example: I've got a 50lb (weak for a crossbow) hand crossbow that makes an echo off of the walls of the house next door.

Also, how are you going to reload a crossbow that fast? You'd be better off clubbing people to death with your gorilla arms.

Edited by Whyherro123

Crossbows should and will be implemented.

It's sad to say that people compare this weapon with traditional firearms such as pistols and assault rifles. Please don't, here's why;

Crossbows in modern days are just there to hunt for sport. They can kill humans, ofcourse. But they were never intended to.

Guns in general are still superior in combat, and when given such situation. Don't use it as a pvp unless totally necesarry.

But it's great for killing a single zombie who needs silenced. or as said before; hunting.

HOWEVER.

Rocket did state a while back that guns in general will be less and less common and more makeshift weaponry such as; bows, spears and even slingshots ( yes, lol) would be more common to use.

So if the odds would be more equal. For example, bow vs bow. Then definatly.

Crossbows are in their own way, superior then firearms.

-Arrows can be recycled and reused. Something you cannot do with a bullet (well, you can. But you can only recycle the old shell and fill it with gunpowder and a new projectile).

-It's a silent way to kill; Zombies aren't atracted to it, and neither will other players.

-You can make your own arrows. A sharp knife, a thick branch, feathers and some skill allows you to make arrows with ease. Although at a slight deficiency.

I say yes to crossbows, even in alpha. Just don't expect you kill people with it as much, as you would with a traditional firearm.

Edited by rydekk

the crossbow should realistically reload in about 15-30 seconds.

for game balance it will probably be reduced to 10 seconds.

there will probably be a "daryl attachment" that has 5 bolts on the front, which not only increases ammo count, but improves reload speed by 50%.

crossbows should be either a hunting primary, or an "oh shit i don't have anything else" weapon.

i don't think that will happen and crossbows will be op/everywhere because daryl/RP fanboiz

It just does not take 30 seconds to reload. My brother and I both havecrossbows,and reloading them does definetly not 30, 20 if you are slow. 

I just hope they get the animations right,i am tired of super-soldiers reloading crossbows with one hand like it is nothing.

And one thing i wonder, wouldn't bolts have an extreme advantage over guns against ballistic armor?

Crossbows aren't silent. They don't make a lot of noise, especially compared to a firearm, but they (including bows) aren't completely-silent-death-machines. Think "TWANG" compared to a gun's " CRACK". You fire a crossbow near someone, they are going to hear it. Example: I've got a 50lb (weak for a crossbow) hand crossbow that makes an echo off of the walls of the house next door.

Also, how are you going to reload a crossbow that fast? You'd be better off clubbing people to death with your gorilla arms.

The difference in loudness between a crossbow 40-90db, and a .22  152db.  A whisper at 30 feet is about 30db.

As they deal with the zombies you will have more than enough time to take them out. I hope you learned something.

Edited by Judopunch

Are guys sure you want a cross bow?  We can expect zero percent chance we will see arrows sticking into your victims, especially where you shot for hit detection.   Zombies bodies disappear at the instant of kill.   You will have no sense of immersion or satisfaction of bow hunting.

The "arrow sticking" was specifically mentioned last week as a feature. Not sure if it will be implemented at the same time the weapon is added, but it is on their to-do list. Zombie bodies will not be instantly disappearing forever either. 

Dean has said that he wanted to draw from the feel of Skyrim hunting, which is cool by me. Hopefully I'll be better at using the crossbow in the SA than I was in the mod- Daryl, I was not.

What I want from the crossbow is quite simple. Poisoned bolts, or at the very least let me soil the bolt before I shoot it into you. There is very little you can do about feces in a deep tissue wound.

The difference in loudness between a crossbow 40db, and a .22  152db.  A whisper at 30 feet is about 30db.

40dB?

A modern crossbow is more like ~90-100 dB... and a .22 rifle ~140 dB. That should be about about 8-10 times quieter to the ear. However consider that a door slamming is supposed to be 80-90 dB.

• Like 2

40dB?

A modern crossbow is more like ~90-100 dB... and a .22 rifle ~140 dB. That should be about about 8-10 times quieter to the ear. However consider that a door slamming is supposed to be 80-90 dB.

I edeted my post about 10 minutes ago. you are correct. it is still much quieter than even the quietest of guns.

The way the damage system is now for bullets (basically completely random, as various objects simply stop bullets), is exactly how it should be for bolts. I don't think a bolt can deliver a lethal blow through a can of sardines for example. It should be effective, but somewhat random, making it a bit unreliable. Armour and ballistic helmets are impervious to bolts, so you can forget attacking geared players with it. It should primarily be a hunting and perhaps anti zombie weapon. 

The way the damage system is now for bullets (basically completely random, as various objects simply stop bullets), is exactly how it should be for bolts. I don't think a bolt can deliver a lethal blow through a can of sardines for example. It should be effective, but somewhat random, making it a bit unreliable. Armour and ballistic helmets are impervious to bolts, so you can forget attacking geared players with it. It should primarily be a hunting and perhaps anti zombie weapon. 

Though this is an extreme example. A crossbow can propel a bolt fast enough to go through a human rather easily. A compound bow probably has less of a chance. And the arrow tip would make a huge difference.

And your standard body armor wouldn't help much either.

Or cinder blocks, with a more reasonable crossbow.

The point is these are very really very dangerous weapons. They can cause massive internal damage. I feel that people here have to little respect for how awesome these weapons can truly be. Will a rifle be better? Possibly. Is a guy armed with a crossbow any less of a threat? Not realy. Id almost rather be shot than hit by something like this. 

PBeastoninjexion_030912B.jpg

Game wise? Depends on how they want the bolt to do damage. It may or may not 'penetrate' in one shot. But they could aslo possibly have it severely effect movement and use of limbs. Cause massive blood loss. Require special mechanics to pull out or remove the bolt. Ect.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

The problem is that the in-game bolts are probably gonna be home made wooden ones. That's what I had in mind while writing my last statement. Still, I had no idea that steel bolts could penetrate armour like that. I hope we'll also get rarer steel bolt spawns that do a lot more damage and penetrate more easily. 

The problem is that the in-game bolts are probably gonna be home made wooden ones. That's what I had in mind while writing my last statement. Still, I had no idea that steel bolts could penetrate armour like that. I hope we'll also get rarer steel bolt spawns that do a lot more damage and penetrate more easily. 

Why would you assume, if they are giving us a modern crossbow as pictured in the dev blog, that we will only have wooden bolts. Now your being silly. You can be contrary and pick apart any little thing ever to find ground for your point. But it does not logically follow, nor does it contribute to good discussion.

Instead, of play mr grumble butt. Why dont you suggest some of the different ways that it could be done well, with respect to the game and how it could create gameplay. Moping around saying 'it will never work' never gets anyone anywhere.

Hi.

Wow, a 1.25 inch hole 14 inches deep in ballistic gel AFTER going through a bullet proof body armor panel? Guns are superior for obvious reasons, but people who think crossbows are useless are delusional.

Regards.

• Like 1

Why does everyone seem to think that a crossbow is a silent zombie killing weapon?

Bolts cut and cause bleeding, I don't see the average zombie caring much if it is bleeding. Even if bleeding out kills it that will take time.

So while the shot of the crossbow is fairly silent, I would expect the wounded bleeding out zombie to be screaming in rage over being hit.

That sound, I would expect, would attract zombies better than a single gunshot will considering it will last a lot longer.

Crossbows should be a last ditch weapon that only kills zombies "instantly" if you hit them in the head or neck, hit them anywhere else and the zombie starts searching around while screaming in anger and attracting other zombies.

Oh and I laugh my butt off at anyone that thinks it is the uber pvp weapon. I have read comments about how it is silent so it wont give away your position if you miss.

Hmmmm....

You shoot me, you miss, the bolt his the wall next to me. Gee, I think it is pointing straight back at the spot the wannabe William Tell assassin is hiding.

Why does everyone seem to think that a crossbow is a silent zombie killing weapon?

Bolts cut and cause bleeding, I don't see the average zombie caring much if it is bleeding. Even if bleeding out kills it that will take time.

So while the shot of the crossbow is fairly silent, I would expect the wounded bleeding out zombie to be screaming in rage over being hit.

That sound, I would expect, would attract zombies better than a single gunshot will considering it will last a lot longer.

Crossbows should be a last ditch weapon that only kills zombies "instantly" if you hit them in the head or neck, hit them anywhere else and the zombie starts searching around while screaming in anger and attracting other zombies.

Oh and I laugh my butt off at anyone that thinks it is the uber pvp weapon. I have read comments about how it is silent so it wont give away your position if you miss.

Hmmmm....

You shoot me, you miss, the bolt his the wall next to me. Gee, I think it is pointing straight back at the spot the wannabe William Tell assassin is hiding.

It's important to note that in the -current- build of the gam ezombies also die from being shot in the foot, once. This will be adjusted obviously as balance is not a priority atm for the devs but compare it with a gun and it's exactly the same. You shoot them in the chest? tough luck. It's the head you should be aiming for anyways.

In that regard a bolt to the face should net you the same result as a bullet without the loud bang echoing throughout town.

Reading through the thread I've not seen anyone call it an "uber pvp weapon" I read a lot of people who want to use in pvp since it kind of is elitist, you need to get close you need stealth, actually getting in the correct position to fire the xbow is going to be a challenge of it's own and it's exactly that which some people (most) seek in this game; a challenge. Whether that means abiding by your own rules or simply trying to follow the games is a personal preference.

If you fire a bolt from it's effective killing/hitting range you shouldn't be missing anyway, if you miss with a gun you obviously will be better off since you don't need to reload after just one shot, but that's a trade-off most crossbow users know.

I think a lot of people underestimate the killing potential of the crossbow in mid-range situations, it's not going to be a reliable tool when it comes to pvp but it's going to be damn nice when the zed count increases to take down that single pesky zed looking in the wrong direction that would otherwise call his friends and come storming at you.

Edited by DedicateDdos
  • Like 1

Lol can't understand the hate against the crossbow here.

NOBODY is forcing you to pick up one, if you hate it so much just leave it on the ground.

I will happily pick it up and nail your @ss with it though.

Btw I don't think it will be 1 hit kill, except headshot, else it would be stupid.

Pitty that arma engine is not capable of simulating hit's to vital organs though.

It stems from the uselessness of the bow and cross bow.

A musket would have been more useful.

Before we see bows and crossbows I want to find reloading kits so that bullets can be made more rare.