blunce

How Long Should a Day Last? (Hardcore)

Hardcore Day & Night Cycle  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How long should a full 24 hours in DayZ take in real time?

• Realistic day & night cycle (24 hours)
    • Half a day (12 hours)
    • Quarter of a day (6 hours)
    • It's too early at this point in development to determine.
    • A full day should be every 3 hours.

What's up y'all,

I was watching the Rezzed presentation & Rocket talked about something that really grabbed my interested; accelerated time & the day/night cycle.

He talks about it at 28:35 in the livestream http://www.twitch.tv/egx/b/514982641

Just curious how the community would like to see the day/night cycle behave on hardcore. I'd personally like to see 2 full cycles in a full 24 hours.

Edited by blunce

Whatever the average play session is. I'm thinking 4 hr day, 4 hr night? Or 3/3. I dunno, 6 hours is a long time to sit on my ass and I'd like to be able to experience a full cycle per session.

• Like 2

24 hours :)

We'd just end up with 24/7 day hardcore servers like we have now :(

• Like 1

We'd just end up with 24/7 day hardcore servers like we have now :(

Which is great. xD

I think of 24/7 Hardcore as...

tumblr_lsop1hwlKu1qjfjgv.gif

I would like to see a 3/4 day night cycle.

3/4 of it day, with only 1 /4 night.

Time goes faster at night and day lasts longer.

• Like 1

I would like to see a 3/4 day night cycle.

3/4 of it day, with only 1 /4 night.

Time goes faster at night and day lasts longer.

I like this one :)

While I like the idea of accelerated time, and while I hate server hopping, until night time is actually fixed I'm just going to pretend my character slept and hop to daytime servers when it goes dark. In the current stage of development there are no flares and glow sticks, weapon flashlights have no hotkey, and a lot of people just increase their gamma so you're basically being a masochist and gimping yourself if you don't jump on the bandwagon.

I used to love night time play in the mod, I loved going from room to room flicking on my Remington 870 flashlight only when absolutely necessary and hoping people didn't get a solid fix on my location. To do this in standalone I either have to use the standard flashlight or keep manually turning my weapon flashlight on and off in the inventory, only to be ganked by some pleb with maximum gamma on. I don't even believe as many people did the gamma trick in the mod, purely because there was more 'stuff' to play with at night as standard.

• Like 2

Less than 24 hours... that is one example of "realism" that I couldn't care less about. Seriously? I don't get why it's so important to people. Are they playing 24-hour sessions or something?

The Reddit idea of 19.5 hours seemed just fine to me. Each time you play would be different.

JHi3sAq.png

• Like 9

Less than 24 hours... that is one example of "realism" that I couldn't care less about. Seriously? I don't get why it's so important to people. Are they playing 24-hour sessions or something?

The Reddit idea of 19.5 hours seemed just fine to me. Each time you play would be different.

This sounds like a great idea. Some people are very restricted when it comes to play time and would still like to experience day and night.

• Like 1

Heck, let it be something that can be set server-side. The problem I've had in the past with a 'realistic' system is just when you play in the evening those servers are always night time servers, especially if they're synchronized with where I am. I'd like to break away from that, please.

Everything other than 24h. Even 23h would bring variety.

IMO they should change it to 6(3 hours day/night) or 12(6 hours day/night) hours = 1 day. so high pop servers can experience day/night cycle.

IMO they should change it to 6(3 hours day/night) or 12(6 hours day/night) hours = 1 day. so high pop servers can experience day/night cycle.

Those "hardcore" daywalkers would just hop to another server for the next 3 hours...

until night time is actually fixed

The only thing that needs fixing is the fear that players have playing in the night. You can add tons of light sources you can use in game yet everybody wants night vision goggles like everybody owns one because they don't have the balls to "expose" themselves to the "enemy" ( < which enemy? ) The bug that walls don't reflect light can easily be fixed, not that wall reflects light but at least lights your surroundings.

Edited by Enforcer

Would like to see a 3-4h day cycle - that should allow for the nice dusk and dawn times.

DAy should 7 hours long. 7 hours is to make the same server always cycle their patterns so they're never the same time of day everyday when you play. If I get home at 6 and play 3 hours on the same server every day, I don't want to be playing the same times. A odd number will cycle it so I experience different times. a 24 hour cycle is pointless for the same reason. You won't see any other aspect of the day.

The 7 hour day cycle works by having 4.5 hours daylight, 2 hours night and 15 minutes either side of that for twilight.

Immaterial anyway as they've put in time compression so server admins can speed time up to 64 times. 

I was thinking of 2 hours day with 1 hour night, but dunno if it would work.

• Like 1

so does accelerated time mean accelerated metabolism as well then?

so does accelerated time mean accelerated metabolism as well then?

If it were accelerated metabolism we'd have to have accelerated walking to find food quicker... haha

I would say the length of the day is not the real issue. It is more that all servers run the same cycle.

If there where a variety of servers with different game-time (and no way for hoppers to see if loot just spawnwed, or better respawnable loot) that would help players to choose server from what their preferences at the moment are. Depending on how long time one has to play or if the potatoe can handle night or ...

If it were accelerated metabolism we'd have to have accelerated walking to find food quicker... haha

surely the opposite? you would slow movement down but speed the metabolism up.. gonna be a  complicated business this accelerated time..

What does it matter?  People will still flock to the 24/7 day only servers just like in the mod.  Majority of the good servers were empty because players couldn't handle playing a hard game.  

• Like 1