Sign in to follow this  
4AcrossIsEmu

Hunger Isn't an issue. And it should be,

Hello there,  I'm new about the forum and i've owned the alpha for about a week with 40 hours logged, i've played alone and with a group of up to 5 people. 

while alpha is alpha - bugs and issues are still bothersome, there is a few out laying problems in game mechanics that i've seen which could be better address. 

I really like the hunger/thirst/blood/shock system, BUT. after the initial start of the game and figuring out the system. You can pretty much ignore this system. You will never be in danger from hunger or thirst killing you. ever... 

and that there is a fundamental problem. This is why people are getting to end play or say they are, cuz i got my m4 and a billion beans. Going about in a group is easily too rewarded too where there should be a point when you just can't sustain a groups needs on what you find. 

There is a simple and elegant solution and has a positive side effect too. 

when you log in your energy and water levels take a big hit as if you have been sleeping and need to refuel. So first order of the day would be to eat. This would also punish server hopping some too as if they log off and  on they would need to eat more and more.

bottom line - this is a survival game and it's too easy to do that. I want to be punished more!

Edited by 4AcrossIsEmu
  • Like 13

I would say this is already solved. It's the elements that are being worked on. The obstacles to getting to the food will increase over time...

You're a sadist but i like your idea. Instead of having the person starve to death when logged out for weeks  like on suggested a long time ago you just get a minor/major thirst/hunger problem so you can't go KoS right away but have to feed first...

• Like 2

when you log in your energy and water levels take a big hit as if you have been sleeping and need to refuel. So first order of the day would be to eat.

I really like this suggestion! Simple but effective. As soon as you log in, your first though should be "right... Where's the beans?"

And yes, I too agree that after the initial coast-spawn, food & water are too easy to come by/holding off hunger & thirst is too. Unfortunately, with hunting etc. being implemented, I can only see this becoming even easier.

Though I can't say I would like to be forced into constantly searching for the bear necessities. Just needs balancing...there's plenty of time for that!

Edited by IshFingers

I like this idea, but what if the server restarts or you keep getting disconnected D:

• Like 3

Hello there

Playing solo, i have a devil of a time finding food.

The only time i do is if im lucky enough to log on after a server restart when its like xmas.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

You're a sadist but i like your idea. Instead of having the person starve to death when logged out for weeks  like on suggested a long time ago you just get a minor/major thirst/hunger problem so you can't go KoS right away but have to feed first...

Not a big problem if half of your pockets are full of rice

• Like 1

I like this idea, but what if the server restarts or you keep getting disconnected D:

Yes there is always downsides. The server restarts arent and issue as it's not often and can be taken in the same vein as your character slept. Disconnects are another issue and yes that would be a problem. However even in alpha i've not dc'd more than twice in all my play time. 

Hello there

Playing solo, i have a devil of a time finding food.

The only time i do is if im lucky enough to log on after a server restart when its like xmas.

Rgds

LoK

I found an abandoned house inland and there was so much food in there that if I attempted to eat it all I would be close to vomiting in game.

I have never had a fear of starving, except the time when I tested out the vomit effects with my friends...

Then I think the same method that applies to restarts not affecting log in time can fix this.

But then there is the question on admins restarting just so they will not have to eat upon logging back in   <_<

Unrelated, I feel admins who restart their servers separate from their designated schedules should provide a report as to show why they needed to restart.

Im pretty sure once hunting is implemented that can food and fruit will become alot more rare.

IMO once hunting is in all other food should be extremely rare forcing players to hunt and pick berries.

• Like 2

Im pretty sure once hunting is implemented that can food and fruit will become alot more rare.

IMO once hunting is in all other food should be extremely rare forcing players to hunt and pick berries.

Yeah, I've always hoped that non-perishable food would becoming much rarer as we got closer to the standalone. Maybe a can or two in a small town, more in a big city swarming with zombies you have to clear/stealth by (I hope by that point just jogging into a town and looting while easily outrunning zombies will be impossible). The main source of food should definitely be hunting and foraging, as those seem most realistic a few years after society falls.

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind, which has been touched on in this thread, is that everything in the game is still exaggerated for us to keep testing. Food, weapons, ect should all see a major decrease as time goes on and the game gets closer to release. I hear what your saying, and agree. I just hope these things do become more scarce as the builds get implemented.

I really like the hunger/thirst/blood/shock system, BUT. after the initial start of the game and figuring out the system. You can pretty much ignore this system. You will never be in danger from hunger or thirst killing you. ever... 

and that there is a fundamental problem. This is why people are getting to end play or say they are, cuz i got my m4 and a billion beans. Going about in a group is easily too rewarded too where there should be a point when you just can't sustain a groups needs on what you find. 

when you log in your energy and water levels take a big hit as if you have been sleeping and need to refuel. So first order of the day would be to eat. This would also punish server hopping some too as if they log off and  on they would need to eat more and more.

bottom line - this is a survival game and it's too easy to do that. I want to be punished more!

For some strange reason I like your ideas. Well, maybe because I like most of the ideas that make DayZ harder ;)

Not a big problem if half of your pockets are full of rice

Yeah, I've always hoped that non-perishable food would becoming much rarer as we got closer to the standalone. Maybe a can or two in a small town, more in a big city swarming with zombies you have to clear/stealth by (I hope by that point just jogging into a town and looting while easily outrunning zombies will be impossible). The main source of food should definitely be hunting and foraging, as those seem most realistic a few years after society falls.

Was announced that it should come that way (reduction of food you can find when hunting, cooking comes in, further reduction when harvesting comes in)...and rice...well..it will be bad for your health in the future if you eat it raw...

Ah I want cooking in with the nutrition system where eating raw rice will be unhealthy for you. And infected water that you have either to boil or to sue water purification tablets on if you don't want to get sick. And less food that can be found when hunting comes in... Goddam rocket, program faster! ;)

alot of things stand and fall with respawning loot and removing hourly server restarts. and i think this will somewhat fix your point, when loot will be made more rare..

beside that i think hunting should not become the main food source. people who want good stuff should take the risk of going into cities and meeting other players instead of running around in the woods and genocide rabbits

Edited by oxymoron

The main reason food is so plentiful even in some full servers is due to 'food imports'. Many players go the route of farming low pop servers for loot ,where there's a tonne of food. Then when they are fully geared and with all the food they need to survive for weeks they join high pop servers and go around PvPing. This means that they are not taking food from this server and so all the food is left for the newspawns. This means foods a plenty because half the people in the server have imported their own supplies.

However if you play on experimental where all the servers are packed you experience the loot as its supposed to be its a very different situation. Not even a measly rotten kiwi can be found along the coast and its a battle to run inland before you starve to death. About 1/2 the time you will die of starvation before you've found anything. It is a much better survival experience.

My point is that basically everything wrong with this game can be put down to the public hive system that allows players to transfer between servers :).

The food-spawning balance is likely no where near what it is meant to be. It could be fixed easily to a more realistic survival level by simply spawning less food. But if every player walked around starving, often to death, it would seriously impede the ability for players to test out other features of the game properly. As such I think they deliberately keep the food and drink levels unrealistically high during these earlier phases of the alpha.

It would be impossible to mess around with hunger/thirst balance as compared to loot anyway when so many features and objects are still to be implemented.

Ever since berries, I have yet to starve once.  Once cultivating and hunting is introduced, replenishable food will have to be limited.  Spoilage will help balance things out(damaged rice + getting backpack wet = spoilage. Fresh meat, open cans, etc.)

I think "unlimited" sources should be limited.  Berry bushes included, water wells could be limited in replenishing pure water. When communities and player buildings are implemented, it will discourage camping and promote supply runs. droughts and shortages dispersing players.  Bandits taking control of a water well could be a big deal.  Lone wolfs and survivalists will use river and pond water, which boiling or tablets are needed.  Catch basins could also be a big possibility.

Then I think the same method that applies to restarts not affecting log in time can fix this.

But then there is the question on admins restarting just so they will not have to eat upon logging back in   <_<

Unrelated, I feel admins who restart their servers separate from their designated schedules should provide a report as to show why they needed to restart.

Time since last login = x

if x > 24 hours then sethunger -50%

Doesn't matter about server restarts then :)

• Like 1

Was announced that it should come that way (reduction of food you can find when hunting, cooking comes in, further reduction when harvesting comes in)...and rice...well..it will be bad for your health in the future if you eat it raw...

Ah I want cooking in with the nutrition system where eating raw rice will be unhealthy for you. And infected water that you have either to boil or to sue water purification tablets on if you don't want to get sick. And less food that can be found when hunting comes in... Goddam rocket, program faster! ;)

That's why need more upgrades for dayz

Time since last login = x

if x > 24 hours then sethunger -50%

Doesn't matter about server restarts then :)

If log into another server, and then back to the one you visited within 10 minutes hunger=starving+low on blood . :) I´m a sadist too

This is as good ideas as making Z´s go for shooting sounds. I support this op idea

Hello there,  I'm new about the forum and i've owned the alpha for about a week with 40 hours logged, i've played alone and with a group of up to 5 people. 

while alpha is alpha - bugs and issues are still bothersome, there is a few out laying problems in game mechanics that i've seen which could be better address. 

and when i get kicked by abusive admins or just server restarts - i should be punished for that? 

and when i get kicked by abusive admins or just server restarts - i should be punished for that? 

Dont play on servers abusive admins? and 1 restart every 4 to 8 hours isn't a huge deal. It could also (as has already been said in other posts) destinctly tell the difference much like the respawn time does. But other than that yep i think we should be punished a little more. 

Depending on how hunting/farming is, this could be become worse as there is more ways to find food. I understand that there will be a drop off in found goods. Thats good to hear. However once you are healthy - you just dont need to eat much at all. There needs to be a food sink to make players value food more. It's not so much a survival game as it stands. 

Edited by 4AcrossIsEmu