Sign in to follow this  
psychopigeon

DayZ sells 1.7 million copies

That's £34,000,000 before the game is even finished. Now that the real money has been made, do you think it will create less incentive to make the best game possible? Or do you think having the £34 million after the game is finished would generate more incentive? I guess we'll see in 2 years.

• Like 1

That's £34,000,000 before the game is even finished. Now that the real money has been made, do you think it will create less incentive to make the best game possible? Or do you think having the £34 million after the game is finished would generate more incentive? I guess we'll see in 2 years.

This has been said a billion times but just because they sold that much doesn't mean they get that amount. Also, that doesn't dictate that the game will get finished any faster. There is alot more to this kind of business stuff, young padawan.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 1

Personally I think it gives them more incentive. BI and Dean don't seem like the type of company/person to just blow off the rest of the game.

Personally I think it gives them more incentive. BI and Dean don't seem like the type of company/person to just blow off the rest of the game.

And they won't but people nowadays like to jump on bandwagons of imprudence. :P

Exactly. I don't understand when people think they might half-ass the rest of the game, just because they have already made millions. BI is an established developer and would not want to damage their reputation in the gaming world.

• Like 1

From watching the live stream, Dean himself actually said that more money actually 'slowed' progress because they realized they could do so much more with the new revenue. Not word for word, but it was something like that. 

Have faith, DayZ is one of the few good early access investments.

Edited by Amias Free
  • Like 1

They hired more staff and purchased an entire studio. So I guess that answers that question. 

• Like 1

This has been said a billion times but just because they sold that much doesn't mean they get that amount. Also, that doesn't dictate that the game will get finished any faster. There is alot more to this kind of business stuff, young padawan.

The game has made at least 34 million, if you had actually bothered to read my post I do not state "all money went to Rocket". But the game has made money.

Hello there

Think about it.

They've made that much cash with this game before its even gone "gold".

If they produce a worthy product then they'll be more likely to make it again with the next.

Who wouldn't want lots of lovely money?

Rgds

LoK

The game has made at least 34 million, if you had actually bothered to read my post I do not state "all money went to Rocket". But the game has made money.

And if you read my post, I did not say that you said "all the money went to Rocket".   Uggghh <.>

Selena-Gomez-Headache-Ugh-Gif.gif

I know, right? Especially considering the DayZ mod was never finished, let alone even left "alpha"!

EDIT: Steam takes 30% of any game. 30% of 1.7 million copies selling at $29.99 is $35,700,000 USD give or take? IDFK

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I see it as an incentive to make the best game possible.  Rocket expected 200,000 players after several months.  Now that there is more money, the project can expand in terms of personnel to allocate tasks that would otherwise be kept on the shelf.  If that many people bought the game already, imagine how much more money you can make when it is feature complete and working as intended.  

I think, being the 'flagship' game of BI (I know; Operation Flashpoint, ARMA etc etc. came first, but DayZ is the first game really thrown into public awareness) it would be PR suicide to let this game fail. Just look at the hype... Hell, the stats speak for itself; 1.7million customers purchasing an incomplete-but-promising product. Upon launch, I'd imagine that will be just a fraction of players.

Mod or no, I consider SA to be the beginning of this journey - the mod was just a tester or plaything. One man's flight of fancy, limited because it wasn't a game in its own right.

I have every faith in the developers producing a fully -finished, well-rounded product. And I can patiently wait another two years for it.

Don't forget all the sales they got from Arma 2 when the mod came out which could have been another million copies.

sales will jump to +2M when the first goddamn bicycle is introduced to the game. mark my words.

• Like 2

I missed the whole rezzed stream and tbh I probably will never watch it but in this lovely post if you scroll down to the first Q&A section Dean said early next year for finished product. So it appears they have decided to speed things along.

• Q: Full release ETA?
  • A: Finish at end of the year, test it for some months, end of Q1 next year
Edited by Window Licker

I missed the whole rezzed stream and tbh I probably will never watch it but in this lovely post if you scroll down to the first Q&A section Dean said early next year for finished product. So it appears they have decided to speed things along.

• Q: Full release ETA?
  • A: Finish at end of the year, test it for some months, end of Q1 next year
Yeah that was one thing that confused me. I was expecting beta to start maybe Q4 this year but now they're "finished" Q1 2015. I bet that there will be many patches after the "finished" status just like in Arma games. This engine could be used on something else than DayZ. I was more scared than happy when I heard that but I still trust that the game will develop even when it's finished.
  • Like 1

Yeah that was one thing that confused me. I was expecting beta to start maybe Q4 this year but now they're "finished" Q1 2015. I bet that there will be many patches after the "finished" status just like in Arma games. This engine could be used on something else than DayZ. I was more scared than happy when I heard that but I still trust that the game will develop even when it's finished.

i think it's because they can afford to hire a much bigger team now (and already have hired), so once they get all the new staff running with full steam, it will speed things by a fair margin.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm a bit 50/50 on it too but for different reasons, the large increase in the dev team has off set any concern that I have about the game being rushed.  At the same time that's a significant change to the timeline and from what I've seen about game development over the years there's a decent chance it won't be complete by then resulting in them pushing that "date" back, or releasing an unfinished product.  While for us that is of little concern, as we are playing it anyway it really speaks more about BI as a company as to when they decide to stamp the product as finished.

Edit: Plus with them being the center of so much attention I think they would be wise to ride the DayZ fame and get another product in development a.s.a.p.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 1

You really have no concept of finances, do you? 

You really have no concept of finances, do you? 

How does he have no concept of finances? Please elaborate. The question OP proposed does not relate to finances as much as you think, rather towards morals and goals. 

it depends on the developer entirely. i believe Rocket is so passionate about this game, that it only creates more incentive. he's now able to do more than he initially planned.

if you are making a game just to make money, it would result having less incentive.

if you are making a game just to make money, it would result having less incentive.

And my first thought is every video game of a movie.

• Like 1